View Full Version : I Think Joe Calzaghe's ATG Ranking May Have Just Went Up....

Perfect Plex
05-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Considering he beat such a ATG in Hopkins in the USA. And 3 years on, Hopkins is number #1 at 175lb.

I think this proves he really could hang with the best. I agree he did have alot of fairly easy title defences and maybe should of took more risks.

But his record of 46-0 and now his win over Hopkins, if fairly damn impressive. Surely a top 100, right?

Barn
05-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Joe Calzaghe will never enter my Top 100 even if he KO Wlad tomorrow.

Joeyzagz
05-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Calzaghe is top 40 at worst.

Marciano is the only guy with a better record, Joe Louis is the only guy with more consecuttive Title defenses.

Very best at his weight class and defeated the two biggest names of his era.

DeepSleep
05-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Calzaghe is top 40 at worst.

Marciano is the only guy with a better record, Joe Louis is the only guy with more consecuttive Title defenses.

Very best at his weight class and defeated the two biggest names of his era.

Ricardo Lopez has an even glossier record at 51 - 0 - 1.

Dariusz Michalczewski has more title defenses.

Beating the two biggest names of his era when both were 83 years old isn't that impressive. In order to be the best you have to fight the best.

CarlosG815
05-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Joe Calzaghe is not an ATG to begin with.

SCtrojansbaby
05-22-2011, 01:30 PM
One good win(most had B-Hop winning) doesn't make you an ATG.

IronDanHamza
05-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Joe Calzaghe isn't an ATG in my book.

Steak
05-22-2011, 01:59 PM
why? I wasnt surprised whatsoever that Hopkins beat Pascal. Hell, he already has a win over him in my book.

I give Calzaghe credit for beating the version of Hopkins that he beat, Hopkins beating someone who was a perfect style matchup for him doesnt change anything.

House of Stone
05-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Jermain Taylor beat Hopkins twice I guess that means he's top 20 now :lol1:
Roy Jones beat prime hopkins I guess that makes him top 5 now ....

Hopkins win is good for Hopkins I don't see why it needs to turn into an ode to a guy who scraped to a dodgy decision and ran from offering him a rematch

joseph5620
05-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Jermain Taylor beat Hopkins twice I guess that means he's top 20 now :lol1:
Roy Jones beat prime hopkins I guess that makes him top 5 now ....

Hopkins win is good for Hopkins I don't see why it needs to turn into an ode to a guy who scraped to a dodgy decision and ran from offering him a rematch

Exactly........

Mr Randy Watson
05-22-2011, 06:19 PM
C'mon with this Calzaghe B.S hes not an ATG... This is Hopkin's moment... joe got a gift like DLH got against whitaker... and like jermaine got against hopkins... look where he wound up... judges dont appreciate the sweet science.. they lean more towards guys who throw lots of punches... they don't necessarily have to land.

Hard Chaw
05-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Dont disrespect Calzaghe as a great boxer.
People could easly disrespect B-Hop as a great boxer by saying he lost against anyone wih good hand speed.

Mr Randy Watson
05-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Dont disrespect Calzaghe as a great boxer.
People could easly disrespect B-Hop as a great boxer by saying he lost against anyone wih good hand speed.

like who? RJJ?? @ least he fought him @ his best... he beat taylor twice IMO... they were close fights... and i dont believe calzaghe landed enough effective blows to get credit for those pitty pat flurries. Bottom line... BHOP will always be remembered as a better fighter with a better resume.

cooper5
05-22-2011, 07:15 PM
I like Calzaghe alot and I think he should be ranked as an atg. But only if you rank the top 300 atg fighters.

New England
05-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Joe Calzaghe will never enter my Top 100 even if he KO Wlad tomorrow.

if he kayo's wlad tomorrow he's in my top 95
but only if he's out cold and it's with one punch

to adress the OP
bernard's success after their fight in '08 (including pavlik, pascal, and roy jones corpse,) will certainly factor into the evaluation of calzaghe's greatness

bernard certainly had something in the tank when they fought

Terry A
05-23-2011, 10:58 PM
if he kayo's wlad tomorrow he's in my top 95
but only if he's out cold and it's with one punch.

That's pretty funny! :D

Steward
05-23-2011, 11:25 PM
No. If he came back and beat Hopkins again... Yes. Completely up there. He got a split nod, boxing is a subjective contest. Who's to say that with different judges on another day, it could have been Hopkins cleaner shots that got the points. Anyway, that's a whole other debate in itself. No i like Joe, but as an ATG... no. If he'd beaten Hopkins by a shut-out... no question.