View Full Version : GSP vs Diaz in December

kaps
05-21-2011, 08:01 AM
it appears the first major cross-promotional fight between the ufc and strikeforce could be coming to a head within the next few days.

After beating jake shields at ufc 129 in toronto, it looked like georges st-pierre had all but cleaned out the best of the best in the welterweight division… except for one person. That one person is on the verge of signing to face st-pierre later this year in a 170-pound title bout.

Nick diaz is likely to face st-pierre for his next ufc welterweight title defense in 2011, with all signs pointing towards a december showdown in montreal.

Sources have indicated to mmaweekly.com that a deal is imminent and the fight could be announced as early as next week. Like any potential deal, there is always the chance something could change at the 11th hour, but st-pierre vs. Diaz is almost a certainty at this point.

war diaz!

BoxingTech718
05-21-2011, 09:29 AM
GSP by easy first round stoppage Diaz is garbage.

Marchegiano
05-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Y'all know i'm routing for GSP, but I'm not as sure as Tech that he'll win. I don't like Nick due to a lack of respect for his style. He has proven to be very good at his chosen way of striking. My problem with his feather fist fu style is it bores me. It's kind of hard to get boring TKO's, but that mostly what I see from Nick.....GSP, as of late, has been displaying similairly a boring ass way of fighting. What's worse is at least Nick tends to put his opponents away. GSP plays it safe these days. I'm not so sure playing it safe is the way to approach Diaz.

Clegg
05-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Are you serious 718? Diaz is very tough on his feet and on the ground. He doesn't have GSP's skills but aside from a cut or freak injury I wouldn't pick anyone in the division to stop him in the first round, or in 5 rounds to be honest.

Diaz is a tough test, he isn't weak in either area unlike GSP's recent opponents (Shields had poor stand-up, Kos had respectable but not great standup, Hardy is poor off his back etc.) so is going to be a live dog whatever gameplan GSP comes in with.

Kaps, does this mean Diaz-Lacy is off?

kaps
05-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Are you serious 718? Diaz is very tough on his feet and on the ground. He doesn't have GSP's skills but aside from a cut or freak injury I wouldn't pick anyone in the division to stop him in the first round, or in 5 rounds to be honest.

Diaz is a tough test, he isn't weak in either area unlike GSP's recent opponents (Shields had poor stand-up, Kos had respectable but not great standup, Hardy is poor off his back etc.) so is going to be a live dog whatever gameplan GSP comes in with.

Kaps, does this mean Diaz-Lacy is off?

I'm not sure, GSP vs Diaz isn't 100% done yet either according to the article. LOL @ people saying Diaz is feather fisted, and an even bigger LOL @ people saying he's boring. I can only recall one boring Diaz fight ever.....

ƒallenloki
05-21-2011, 12:10 PM
2-0-fkn-9

:killyou:

M Deezy
05-21-2011, 04:36 PM
sooo that means no lacy fight??

Jack3d
05-21-2011, 05:33 PM
GSP Wide UD.

Takedown, Control, GnP Repeat for 5 rounds.

letsgobrady
05-21-2011, 05:42 PM
GSP Wide UD.

Takedown, Control, GnP Repeat for 5 rounds.

idk diaz has pretty good take down defense and is pretty good fighting on his back and shields was able to land some pretty good right hands on gsp and diaz is a much better stand up fighter than shields so i can see this bein a very good fight

Jack3d
05-21-2011, 06:04 PM
idk diaz has pretty good take down defense

LOL, No. Diaz has ***** TDD

and is pretty good fighting on his back

Against who? GSP will muscle him around like a little kid.

and shields was able to land some pretty good right hands on gsp and diaz is a much better stand up fighter than shields so i can see this bein a very good fight

GSP only stood up because he had the advantage there over Shields. Diaz is getting taken down from the opening bell and he doesn't get up until the round ends. If anyone thinks Diaz and his featherweight strength and wrestling pedigree of a dutchman is going to be able to stop GSP from taking him down they are delusional.

letsgobrady
05-21-2011, 06:07 PM
LOL, No. Diaz has ***** TDD

Against who? GSP will muscle him around like a little kid.

GSP only stood up because he had the advantage there over Shields. Diaz is getting taken down from the opening bell and he doesn't get up until the round ends.

the way gsp face looked at the end of his fight with shields you might be right he most likely will just try to lay on diaz for 25 minutes but i'm not sure he can lay on diaz for 5 rounds

Jack3d
05-21-2011, 06:12 PM
the way gsp face looked at the end of his fight with shields you might be right he most likely will just try to lay on diaz for 25 minutes but i'm not sure he can lay on diaz for 5 rounds

I think he can. Diaz has a strong resemblance to Nogueira on the mat. His hips are heavy, he's not explosive at all and he's incredibly weak, especially in comparison to Georges. Georges, I think can most definitely keep the fight there if he wants to.

I hope it's an exciting fight, but somehow I think it will be yet another boring but dominant UD. Diaz will make it interesting by trying to talk **** during the fight but he'll just end up looking stupid once GSP kneetaps him and puts him on his back.

blaze778
05-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Great fight. :headbang:

I doubt GSP stands with Diaz too long. Diaz's power is very deceiving and GSP won't risk getting punched in the face.

If GSP wins, I'm pretty sure it goes the distance, but Diaz is very prone to nasty cuts.

One thing I would hate to see is if Diaz is ahead on the scorecards, only to get stopped due to a cut.

Who know? This could be like the Silva/Sonnen fight. GSP dominates, but gets caught in a submission late into the fight.

This fight could play out in so many ways.

But whatever, I got GSP by decision.

Anthony342
05-22-2011, 01:45 AM
So if GSP wins this, will there be anyone left for him to take on in the welterweight division?

kaps
05-22-2011, 01:47 AM
So if GSP wins this, will there be anyone left for him to take on in the welterweight division?

Not really. Just more rematches...

Willy Wanker
05-22-2011, 01:49 AM

guess not.

anderson silva, make it happen!!!!!

chiguy91
05-22-2011, 02:06 AM
hope this actually gets made and happens, and not fall through. what a great fight and build up would it be. i have gsp by decision, but anything can happen. if gsp comes out on top, there's no other fight for him besides silva....

Addition
05-22-2011, 03:21 AM
Great fight indeed. Not the biggest MMA fan in the world but i'll definitely watch it.

$Natedatpkid$
05-22-2011, 04:11 AM
Sucks to be Nick Diaz, his first fight back in the UFC he gets to remember what it feels like to get laid on again haha

Las Vegas,
05-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Damn, we're getting some huge fights for this fall/winter. I'll be sure to save my PPV money.

Anthony342
05-22-2011, 03:44 PM
guess not.

anderson silva, make it happen!!!!!

Then if he beats Diaz, which he probably will, he should just retire after that.

Marchegiano
05-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Then if he beats Diaz, which he probably will, he should just retire after that.

Yeah, retire on top.

F l i c k e r
05-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Meh, I want to get excited but I just can't.

Either GSP will dominate with his obviously superior body manipulation. Or Diaz will somehow completely forget how to fight standing and look lethargic while GSP throws lunging jabs at him.

GoldenBoy23
05-25-2011, 09:09 PM
GSP not fightin at 140 - Dana