View Full Version : Joe Frazier vs. Ken Norton

Left Hook Tua
05-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Two guys known for giving Muhammad Ali hell.

Both also were destroyed by George Foreman.

Now Joe Frazier obviously has the superior resume of the two......but who would you have favored had they met in the ring?

Ken Norton vs. Joe Frazier around 1972-1973 who do you have winning and how?

The Surgeon
05-19-2011, 12:12 PM
This could be a great fight, i like Frazier's left hooks to catch up with Kenny at some point tho

Joe Frazier KO

Left Hook Tua
05-19-2011, 12:22 PM
This could be a great fight, i like Frazier's left hooks to catch up with Kenny at some point tho

Joe Frazier KO

I think almost everyone will probably agree with you. joe by ko/tko. ken didn't have the greatest chin.

i don't know though.

for some reason i think norton pulls it out. decision or maybe even late tko.

joe frazier wears everyone out but ken norton was one hell of an athlete.

CarlosG815
05-19-2011, 12:43 PM
I think almost everyone will probably agree with you. joe by ko/tko. ken didn't have the greatest chin.

i don't know though.

Ken Norton is not beating Joe Frazier... No way.

$Natedatpkid$
05-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah Fraizer would most likely beat him up pretty bad and stop him somewhere around the 7th or 8th round. I think Joe brings too much relentlessness and is extremely underrated on these boards.

Since 1985
05-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Ken Norton couldn't handle big punchers. I got Frazier by KO.

SCtrojansbaby
05-19-2011, 01:57 PM

I am going against the grain here but I think Ken Norton has enough of a punch to keep Joe from just rushing him and out boxes him to a close decision.

Left Hook Tua
05-19-2011, 02:13 PM
I am going against the grain here but I think Ken Norton has enough of a punch to keep Joe from just rushing him and out boxes him to a close decision.

that's how i feel though. hard for me to explain or pinpoint why i think that though.

how effectively do you think frazier's hooks penetrates norton's shell defense?

Left Hook Tua
05-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Yeah Fraizer would most likely beat him up pretty bad and stop him somewhere around the 7th or 8th round. I think Joe brings too much relentlessness and is extremely underrated on these boards.

and who exactly underrates frazier on these boards? lol

$Natedatpkid$
05-19-2011, 02:17 PM
that's how i feel though. hard for me to explain or pinpoint why i think that though.

how effectively do you think frazier's hooks penetrates norton's shell defense?

You watch who your asking haha Or you might just get caught up with his epic explanation of why Virgil Hill > Pernell Whitaker hahahaha

I feel he's a top 10 heavyweight, other people him have him at 10-12 or later. Ali's on number 1 heavyweight, Frazier was his best wins IMO, and their's a reason for that.

Left Hook Tua
05-19-2011, 02:17 PM

this is true.

but how big a puncher was frazier?

frazier had good pop. he certainly can hurt norton.

don't know if joe had quite the power to just turn out the lights on norton like foreman and shavers did though.

$Natedatpkid$
05-19-2011, 02:20 PM
this is true.

but how big a puncher was frazier?

frazier had good pop. he certainly can hurt norton.

don't know if joe had quite the power to just turn out the lights on norton like foreman and shavers did though.

Frazier is relentless though. He's going to be constantly hurting Norton and I don't think Norton has the same pop Ali has earlier to make Frazier respect him and not just tee off all kinds of crazy.

Left Hook Tua
05-19-2011, 02:20 PM
You watch who your asking haha Or you might just get caught up with his epic explanation of why Virgil Hill > Pernell Whitaker hahahaha

I feel he's a top 10 heavyweight, other people him have him at 10-12 or later. Ali's on number 1 heavyweight, Frazier was his best wins IMO, and their's a reason for that.

i don't think joe is quite top 10.

maybe top 20.

frazier wasn't really ali's best wins.

better win than an invincible foreman? liston? i don't think so.

ali is not the kind of guy where you point at one fight or wins against one fighter and say that's what made him great.

ali fought almost everyone of consequence for almost 2 decades.

Left Hook Tua
05-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Frazier is relentless though. He's going to be constantly hurting Norton and I don't think Norton has the same pop Ali has earlier to make Frazier respect him and not just tee off all kinds of crazy.

norton had good pop.

IronDanHamza
05-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Norton gives him issues here and there but Frazier takes him out down the line.

I love Ken Norton to death, he's in my top 5 favourite Heavyweights. But he doesn't beat Joe Fraizer. Different class of fighter IMO.

The Surgeon
05-19-2011, 03:59 PM

That doche Princemanpoppa or whatever he called for one!

Norton is another who gets totally under rated more so than Frazier i feel

But to me, as copmpetitive as i see it being theres only one winner here - Smokin Joe Frazier! :boxing:

Steak
05-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Frazier gets through some shaky moments early and mid fight(during two way action), maybe gets knocked down, but ultimately takes out Norton around the 12th or 13th round.

Frazier didnt have fight dominating power like Foreman, but he would no doubt be backing up Norton, which was always a bad sign. eventually it would be too much.

TBear
05-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Perhaps it would come down to the one Eddie Futch chose to train between the two.

joseph5620
05-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Frazier gets through some shaky moments early and mid fight(during two way action), maybe gets knocked down, but ultimately takes out Norton around the 12th or 13th round.

Frazier didnt have fight dominating power like Foreman, but he would no doubt be backing up Norton, which was always a bad sign. eventually it would be too much.

Excellent point.

young_robbed
05-19-2011, 05:30 PM

i don't know though.

No way man. It took a serious puncher to beat Joe. Norton wasn't a real puncher and even if he was an athlete Fraizer is still going to beat him probably by knockout.

Norton can't fight off the back foot. And he won't in this fight. Frazier's pressure and power will be too much.

Steak
05-19-2011, 06:17 PM
No way man. It took a serious puncher to beat Joe. Norton wasn't a real puncher and even if he was an athlete Fraizer is still going to beat him probably by knockout.

Norton can't fight off the back foot. And he won't in this fight. Frazier's pressure and power will be too much.

hmmm, well Bonavena came very close to closing the show against Frazier, and I think I would put Bonavena's and Norton's power as about equal, and Norton was overall a better fighter than Bonavena as well. but stylstically Bonavena was a nightmare for someone like Frazier, wheras Norton was a bit weak to offense as intense as the kind Frazier put up...which is the deciding point in this fight.

Mugwump
05-19-2011, 06:27 PM
I think far too many people are failing to recognise the threat posed by Norton's damaging jab. Frazier would take a lot of punishment on the way in. And Ken had the kind of Easter Island statue physicality which would also make it pretty tough for Joe to intimidate him.

Joe is clearly the better fighter. His dynamic head movement, fluid combinations and peerless fitness make Norton seem somewhat pedestrian. But styles make fights and Ken has the tools to hurt Joe.

SBleeder
05-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Does anyone know why this fight didn't actually happen?

NChristo
05-19-2011, 07:53 PM

Presume it was because they were very good friends and stablemates.

If Frazier had held the title for longer though a fight would of been more likely, obviously.

DarkTerror88
05-19-2011, 07:55 PM

Because They both were trained bu Eddie Futch and according to Futch Frazier Handled Norton in sparring fairly easily so there wasnt really a need for this fight. I wish it happened though.

Barn
05-19-2011, 08:08 PM
I heard, they made a promise that they would never fight each other as they were good friends. I'm not certain though.

Scott9945
05-19-2011, 09:05 PM
In the time frame given I'd definitely pick Frazier. If the fight date gets later then Norton's chances increase considerably.

DeepSleep
05-20-2011, 03:00 AM
With the way Norton drags his back foot along it is impossible to really fight going backwards. When Norton fought guys who he could walk down he gave them hell, when he fought guys who backed him down he fell apart.

Frazier would force Norton onto the back foot and KO him, no way Norton can keep Frazier from swarming him.

GF of Boxing
05-20-2011, 09:49 AM
I agree. I think this fight is too close to call. Plus you have to remember they use to spar with each other. I think Norton will start up fast and take the lead in the fight for the first 4 rounds. Because Frazier has always been a slow started but once Frazier start smokin Norton is going to have major problems. Norton had a great uppercut but that is a very dangerous punch to throw against Frazier if missed. I can see this fight go either way but I'm leaning towards Frazier because of the constant pressure of Joe that it will eventually break Norton down. I love Norton but this fight I don't know. The only way Norton could win this fight is by decision. But this fight has the recipe to be fight of the year.

Ziggy Stardust
05-20-2011, 11:45 AM
With the way Norton drags his back foot along it is impossible to really fight going backwards. When Norton fought guys who he could walk down he gave them hell, when he fought guys who backed him down he fell apart.

Frazier would force Norton onto the back foot and KO him, no way Norton can keep Frazier from swarming him.

Bingo. Norton's style of fighting was designed to nullify the jabs of slick boxers and throw their timing off. It's major weakness was it was completely vulnerable to opponents who came right at him. Guess were Frazier would be coming from? :grin9:

Poet

young_robbed
05-20-2011, 09:53 PM
hmmm, well Bonavena came very close to closing the show against Frazier, and I think I would put Bonavena's and Norton's power as about equal, and Norton was overall a better fighter than Bonavena as well. but stylstically Bonavena was a nightmare for someone like Frazier, wheras Norton was a bit weak to offense as intense as the kind Frazier put up...which is the deciding point in this fight.

Well Frazier was also green in the fight with bonavena and to be honest norton just won't be able to handle fraziers pressure I'd say it's that simple nortons style was countering the jab on the backfoot and settin up his combos but Fraziers hook abs bodyshots would be too much