View Full Version : Who beats Roberto Duran ...

Daddy T
05-17-2011, 01:34 PM
on his best night at Lightweight .... (needless to say I'm on a bit of a duran viewing binge at the moment ... ouch for poor davey moore)

Barn
05-17-2011, 01:41 PM
I would favour no-one over him but, I would give equal odds to Gans, Whitaker and Leonard.

Accuse me of sitting on the fence all you want but, that's honestly how I see it.

fitefanSHO
05-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Chavez maybe. Arguello?

bklynboy
05-17-2011, 03:20 PM
I would favour no-one over him but, I would give equal odds to Gans, Whitaker and Leonard.

Accuse me of sitting on the fence all you want but, that's honestly how I see it.

Gans, Benny Leonard, Hank Armstrong, Pernell Whitaker would be the first ones I would think of that would have a shot.

l loved Arguello but I don't think he'll take a series from Duran. Neither would JCC.

Ziggy Stardust
05-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Gans, Benny Leonard, Hank Armstrong, Pernell Whitaker would be the first ones I would think of that would have a shot.

Agreed. I'd favor Duran over all of the above but I think with all of them a 10 fight series would be needed: They're THAT close.

Arguello was at his best at Featherweight and lost a little something off his fastball when he moved up. Chavez wasn't in Duran's class as a fighter: Duran chews him up and spits him out.

Poet

Barn
05-17-2011, 05:45 PM

l loved Arguello but I don't think he'll take a series from Duran. Neither would JCC.
Forgot about Armstrong.

I agree He beats JCC and Agruello without a huge deal of trouble.

$BloodyNate$
05-17-2011, 05:52 PM

This. I would actually LOVE to see Whitaker-Duran because sweat pea was fast as **** and so hard to hit it'd be interesting to see how Duran would deal with that, but the man was straight relentless. He'd find away to make the judges wanna kill themselves when scoring that fight.

SCtrojansbaby
05-17-2011, 05:56 PM
I would favor no one over Duran at lightweight but Pacquiao and Chavez are 50/50 fights

Barn
05-17-2011, 06:04 PM
I would favor no one over Duran at lightweight but Pacquiao and Chavez are 50/50 fights
Please get the hell out of this section, you do nothing for it. You're blind love for modern fighters is disturbing yet extrememly intriguing...Why do you have a deep admiration for fighters of the newer generation?

It's not even as if you attempt you just dismiss any fighter pre 1970.

Who would win at 147 Pacquiao or Ray Robinson?

SCtrojansbaby
05-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Please get the hell out of this section, you do nothing for it. You're blind love for modern fighters is disturbing yet extrememly intriguing...Why do you have a deep admiration for fighters of the newer generation?

It's not even as if you attempt you just dismiss any fighter pre 1970.

Who would win at 147 Pacquiao or Ray Robinson?

Blind love for modern fighters like who? Chavez who fought at basically the same time as Pernell Whitaker lol.

I don't rate or compare fighters from pre 1970 the sport has changed too much.

Barn
05-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Blind love for modern fighters like who? Chavez who fought at basically the same time as Pernell Whitaker lol.

You said "Modern fighters as in post 1970." in a previous thread. So Chavez and Whitaker would be classed as modern to you. :dunce:

SCtrojansbaby
05-17-2011, 06:17 PM
You said "Modern fighters as in post 1970." in a previous thread. So Chavez and Whitaker would be classed as modern to you. :dunce:

Yes and I dislike Pernell Whitaker very much so how is that a blind love?

Barn
05-17-2011, 06:18 PM
So you let time period and personal bias get in the way?

Not good.

JAB5239
05-17-2011, 06:26 PM

You're right, 17 weight classes and 68 titles (not including super champions, interim champions, regular champions, diamond belt champions, champion emeritus, etc., etc., etc.) have made boxing soo much better since then.

SCtrojansbaby
05-17-2011, 06:27 PM
So you let time period and personal bias get in the way?

Not good.

Get in the way of what?

I told you already I don't rate or compare guys pre 1970 if you want to that is your prerogative I would rather stick to ranking guys I have seen fight more 3 or 4 times in *****ty quality youtube videos.

Also there is a difference between dislike and bias

You're right, 17 weight classes and 68 titles (not including super champions, interim champions, regular champions, diamond belt champions, champion emeritus, etc., etc., etc.) have made boxing soo much better since then.

When did I say the sport was better?

Ziggy Stardust
05-17-2011, 06:29 PM

And at other times he's described "modern fighters" as post 1990, and at other times post 2000.....whatever happens to be convenient for him in a given thread :rofl9:

Poet

Barn
05-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Get in the way of what?

I told you already I don't rate or compare guys pre 1970 if you want to that is your prerogative I would rather stick to ranking guys I have seen fight more 3 or 4 times in *****ty quality youtube videos.

Also there is a difference between dislike and bias

There's a lot of great pre 1970 footage.

Ali vs Cleveland Williams for example.

RubenSonny
05-17-2011, 06:33 PM

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

IronDanHamza
05-17-2011, 06:36 PM

That's very apparent.

JAB5239
05-17-2011, 06:37 PM

Than please tell us what you're alluding to when you say "the sport has changed so much"?

SCtrojansbaby
05-17-2011, 06:41 PM
There's a lot of great pre 1970 footage.

Ali vs Cleveland Williams for example.

The the 60s has a good amount of footage but its worse and worse and less and less the further you go back. I find it dumb to rate a guy like Sugar Ray Robinson when you haven't seen the vast majority of his greatest fights unless your 80 years old

SCtrojansbaby
05-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Than please tell us what you're alluding to when you say "the sport has changed so much"?

Changing meaning not the same.
Guys fight less today.
Most guys now are full time boxers as opposed to back then when most had "day jobs"
Athletes in general have gotten much more advanced.

Daddy T
05-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Yeah I didn't think there'd be too many names suggested :lol1: Personally I couldn't pick anybody that I'd favour to beat him, the guy is the G.O.A.T at lightweight but I think if I was forced into a corner and made to put my money on somebody I'd have to go for Armstrong simply because he is Armstrong, but that said I think Duran would just love the way henry would come at him and duke it out and so would still probably get the win.

BigStereotype
05-17-2011, 06:45 PM

How?...............

SCtrojansbaby
05-17-2011, 06:47 PM
How?...............

look at my post above

JAB5239
05-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Changing meaning not the same.
Guys fight less today.
Most guys now are full time boxers as opposed to back then when most had "day jobs"
Athletes in general have gotten much more advanced.

Yet the sport has regressed in terms of talent, stamina a competition. Go figure!

BigStereotype
05-17-2011, 06:52 PM
look at my post above

Guys fight less today, I'll give you that. But how have athletes gotten more advanced? Nutrition and weight training have changed, but those guys still had to get in a ring and punch each other silly. And in this sport, toughness matters more than athleticism anyway, so even if I give you the point that athletes are "more advanced" today (I don't agree necessarily) so what? Who's the better athlete, Miguel Cotto or Zab Judah? Cotto beat that ass regardless, just because he's the tougher, grittier fighter. Same thing happened again when Cotto and Margarito fought. Superior athlete gets run down by a dude too hard for him.

Daddy T
05-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Yet the sport has regressed in terms of talent, stamina a competition. Go figure!

yeah i think though where the sport has regressed most is in the depth of competition, I mean the cream of the crop from today .. your pacs,floyds hopkins, jones jnrs (of a few years back) and the like could certainly mix it with the best of their respective weights from the past, but once you start going past the top two or three the standard drops away massively from say what it was in even the 70s. I guess its mainly cause the sport was bigger 50/60 years ago than it is now, and 1,000 serious guys competing against eachother results in a much tougher top twenty than just 100 serious guys competing.

IronDanHamza
05-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Anyone post 2000 is automatically more athletic than anyone pre 1970because 'athletes are more advanced now'.

Fernando Montiel > Eder Jofre

Marcos Maianna > Locche

Bradon Rios> Freddie Welsh

Antonio Margarito> Ray Robinson

Of course.

SCtrojansbaby
05-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Anyone post 2000 is automatically more athletic than anyone pre 1970because 'athletes are more advanced now'.

Fernando Montiel > Eder Jofre

Marcos Maianna > Locche

Bradon Rios> Freddie Welsh

Antonio Margarito> Ray Robinson

Of course.

There are exceptions but yes its a fact that athletes have advanced as we learn more about the human body and how it works anybody who denies this is lying to themselves

The_Demon
05-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Are you serious? you are that ****ing stupid?

If the answer too above questions is yes please stop posting because you actually embarrass yourself with pretty much everything you post,you should try and learn from the good posters on this forum rather than dismissing everything they say simply because you dont understand it

SCtrojansbaby
05-17-2011, 07:09 PM
yeah i think though where the sport has regressed most is in the depth of competition, I mean the cream of the crop from today .. your pacs,floyds hopkins, jones jnrs (of a few years back) and the like could certainly mix it with the best of their respective weights from the past, but once you start going past the top two or three the standard drops away massively from say what it was in even the 70s. I guess its mainly cause the sport was bigger 50/60 years ago than it is now, and 1,000 serious guys competing against eachother results in a much tougher top twenty than just 100 serious guys competing.

In the United States

fitefanSHO
05-17-2011, 07:11 PM
The Chavez who beat Rosario at 135 would have as good a chance as any fighter I can think of.

Ziggy Stardust
05-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Guys fight less today, I'll give you that. But how have athletes gotten more advanced? Nutrition and weight training have changed, but those guys still had to get in a ring and punch each other silly. And in this sport, toughness matters more than athleticism anyway, so even if I give you the point that athletes are "more advanced" today (I don't agree necessarily) so what? Who's the better athlete, Miguel Cotto or Zab Judah? Cotto beat that ass regardless, just because he's the tougher, grittier fighter. Same thing happened again when Cotto and Margarito fought. Superior athlete gets run down by a dude too hard for him.

Not only that, in practically every major sport skill trumps athleticism. Who's tearing up the NBA playoffs right now? A relatively unathletic white dude with a lot of skill named Dirk Nowitzki. Where's the superior athlete Kobe Bryant? Sitting on his azz at home.

It's really besides the point anyway: Of all the major sports boxing is the one where "athleticism" has the LEAST impact.

Poet

RubenSonny
05-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Not only that, in practically every major sport skill trumps athleticism. Who's tearing up the NBA playoffs right now? A relatively unathletic white dude with a lot of skill named Dirk Nowitzki. Where's the superior athlete Kobe Bryant? Sitting on his azz at home.

It's really besides the point anyway: Of all the major sports boxing is the one where "athleticism" has the LEAST impact.

Poet

I loved every minute of that sweep.

SCtrojansbaby
05-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Of course skill matters. But for example Floyd Mayweather has every skill you could want + the benifits of modern science and technology.

talip bin osman
05-17-2011, 08:16 PM
on his best night at Lightweight .... (needless to say I'm on a bit of a duran viewing binge at the moment ... ouch for poor davey moore)

somebody who would offer him plenty of movement and get him out of his comfort zone...

i am not saying they WOULD beat him but i think PEA and PBF will offer him those things and really test him...

beating the guy @ LW is made more difficult with master strategists ray arcel and freddie brown on his side... damn...:)

LeG00N
05-17-2011, 08:52 PM
you would have to completely out box him and move alot...

maybe Whitaker ,De La Hoya or Floyd if he didn't catch them in the later rounds

RubenSonny
05-17-2011, 09:13 PM

Erm no.......

Boxing Bob
05-17-2011, 10:09 PM
there are some who have a chance, but when Duran was at his best lightweight form I would NEVER bet money against him

JAB5239
05-18-2011, 03:12 AM

I can accept this!

JAB5239
05-18-2011, 03:16 AM
Of course skill matters. But for example Floyd Mayweather has every skill you could want + the benifits of modern science and technology.

So what? Benny Leonard, Joe Gans, Eder Jofre, Wille Pep, Sam Langford, Tony Canzoneri, SRR, Kid Gavilan......should I go on?.......all had every skill you could want and were 15 round fighters or better. What's your point?

IronDanHamza
05-18-2011, 08:45 AM
somebody who would offer him plenty of movement and get him out of his comfort zone...

i am not saying they WOULD beat him but i think PEA and PBF will offer him those things and really test him...

beating the guy @ LW is made more difficult with master strategists ray arcel and freddie brown on his side... damn...:)

I think Floyd Mayweathrer Jr would HATE being in there with Duran. I think that fight would be the other way round, Mayweather would be taking out his comfortzone. Mayweather would hate Duran on the inside on him roughing him up. He had problems with Castillo but IMO did enough to handle him both him, but Duran is a different animal.

Mayweather would give him issues at times by being on the outside but Duran would have no repsect for his power. And Mayweather isn't a dancer that would constantly move, the fight WILL go to the inside alot and when that happens Duran would pound him and outwork him.

Mayweather obviously isn't stopping him and I struggle to see how he wins a descision with Duran at LW.

Whitaker has much more of a chance but again Duran would have no respect for his power and would rough up Whitaker. I imagine if they were to fight he would backpedal most of the fight giving Duran problems but he would be able to stop Duran getting on the inside IMO in which would favour Duran massively.

I really can't pick anyone to beat Duran at LW on his best day.

talip bin osman
05-18-2011, 10:25 AM
I think Floyd Mayweathrer Jr would HATE being in there with Duran. I think that fight would be the other way round, Mayweather would be taking out his comfortzone. Mayweather would hate Duran on the inside on him roughing him up. He had problems with Castillo but IMO did enough to handle him both him, but Duran is a different animal.

Mayweather would give him issues at times by being on the outside but Duran would have no repsect for his power. And Mayweather isn't a dancer that would constantly move, the fight WILL go to the inside alot and when that happens Duran would pound him and outwork him.

Mayweather obviously isn't stopping him and I struggle to see how he wins a descision with Duran at LW.

Whitaker has much more of a chance but again Duran would have no respect for his power and would rough up Whitaker. I imagine if they were to fight he would backpedal most of the fight giving Duran problems but he would be able to stop Duran getting on the inside IMO in which would favour Duran massively.

mayweather would hate duran on the inside (duran is the better inside fighter and the stronger one) IF he doesnt move... fine, the 1st castillo fight, PBF chose to mix it up more on the inside against the mexican... (shoulder injury perhaps?) but for the return match, PBF offered more movement and displayed a more nuanced ring generalship wherein he engaged in the pocket less and became more economical with his punches, picking spots and "found his bicycle" to bring castillo out of his comfort zone so to speak...

for the record despite these things, i would still favor the panamanian to win this fantasy fight because i feel duran can deal with anything PBF has to offer, but not completely sure if its the same the other way around...

bklynboy
05-18-2011, 03:58 PM

Whitaker may take one in a series and so may have a younger, hungrier Floyd. Meaning that if Duran was the man to beat as Floyd was coming up and Floyd was focused on getting the title from Duran then yes I could see a competitive series. But if we're talking about 27 year old Floyd, just before his first retirement v Duran while he's still at lightweight then no way Floyd wins.

I don't see DLH winning even one fight in 5.

bklynboy
05-18-2011, 04:02 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Daddy T
05-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Watch mayweather looking like **** against castillo at 135 and then try to explain how he beats Duran ...

klipsch speaker
05-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Why is it that most people underestimate PBF here in this fantasy fight? as if duran would simply cut his head off and eat it?:)

Have you forgoten that a top contender named villomar fernandez gave duran some fits and was able to make duran obviously uncomfortable chasing him during their fight? fernandez was KOed eventually yes, but he was a fighter that resides somewhere below PBF's level.

its inevitable that the castillo fight would be brought up bcoz its obviously a good template (specially the 1st fight) to get clues from. But what about the 2nd fight?

And before we all forget, what about esteban de jesus victory against duran in thrir first meeting? the panamanian was floored in the 1st stanza and eventually lost the fight 8 rounds to 2? its a good template to use it also no?

I am not saying PBF wins since the thread's opening states that its duran at his best but i feel PBF would really test not only him but also present a good challenge to his cornermen arcel and brown to come up with a good strategy as well.

(for the record im no floyd stan) :)

SCtrojansbaby
05-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Duran is the worst style for PBF at 135. Floyd would have trouble with the head mmovement of Duran and Duran would be able to muscle Floyd around on the inside.

Now at 147 Duran losses that physicality advantage and its a completely different fight.

Steak
05-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Watch mayweather looking like **** against castillo at 135 and then try to explain how he beats Duran ...

well, duran and Castillo did not fight alike. Its a common misconception that Duran was that type of pressure fighter...he wasnt.

Duran was a passive-aggressive counter puncher...by that I mean he would constantly stalk you and put on pressure with feints without throwing many real punches, and actually force his opponent to lead and then counter them. he complemted this by using a sort of smart mauling attack at close range, and it was incredibly efficient.

If you watch Duran against Viruet or Bizzaro, you can tell hes incedibly pissed off at runners. make no mistake...he easily won and dominated those fights. but he wasnt a destroyer against guys that ran from him. He wasnt really a Castillo or Chavez type of pressure fighter that quickly cut the distance, he was very(almost too much) patient.

I see Duran winning, but this would be an ugly fight for him. Not too many punches landed on either side imo, and it would not be exciting.

DeepSleep
05-20-2011, 04:14 AM
well, duran and Castillo did not fight alike. Its a common misconception that Duran was that type of pressure fighter...he wasnt.

Duran was a passive-aggressive counter puncher...by that I mean he would constantly stalk you and put on pressure with feints without throwing many real punches, and actually force his opponent to lead and then counter them. he complemted this by using a sort of smart mauling attack at close range, and it was incredibly efficient.

If you watch Duran against Viruet or Bizzaro, you can tell hes incedibly pissed off at runners. make no mistake...he easily won and dominated those fights. but he wasnt a destroyer against guys that ran from him. He wasnt really a Castillo or Chavez type of pressure fighter that quickly cut the distance, he was very(almost too much) patient.

I see Duran winning, but this would be an ugly fight for him. Not too many punches landed on either side imo, and it would not be exciting.

At 135 Floyd did a lot more boxing and a lot less running all over the ring like he does at WW. I don't think Duran would have too much trouble finding Floyd. Also I think some people underestimate Duran's defense when he works his way inside, he does some excellent work inside at rolling and taking the steam off of punches.

Duran would most likely find a way to win just based on willpower and being the stronger fighter on the inside but it would be a hell of a struggle. Duran would not be pleased watching so many of his punches hitting elbows, shoulder and air. Mayweather would land the cleaner more effective blows with that right hand but Duran would outwork him by a wide enough margin to take the razor thin decision.

McGoorty
11-01-2012, 08:02 AM
This. I would actually LOVE to see Whitaker-Duran because sweat pea was fast as **** and so hard to hit it'd be interesting to see how Duran would deal with that, but the man was straight relentless. He'd find away to make the judges wanna kill themselves when scoring that fight.
I dont rate Whittaker as high as some people, but we are talking head to head matchups here, where I believe that a guy like Benny Leonard has the quality and style to thrash Pea under typical 20's conditions at least, but I see a guy like Pea as exactly the one type of fighter Duran didnt like to fight, Pea has the tools here to make an awesome fight, I would hope Duran catches him but I am not sure.... I think there have been quite a few LW's through time that dont really suit Duran........... I say that there has NEVER been an unbeatable lightweight, and some names wont be obvious at all... if anyone seriously believes Duran wins 995 fights out of a thousand against all the top lightweights among the top 200....... NO-ONE can do that, I say its impossible,,, styles always make fights... otherwise none of the greats would have ever lost to a lesser fighter,, but they do, dont they...... there were guys like Lew Jenkins,,, if that guy landed just one of his bombs flush on any fighters chin,, they went to sleep.......... these guys you can consider intangibles, or dark horses if you like,

McGoorty
11-01-2012, 08:06 AM
So what? Benny Leonard, Joe Gans, Eder Jofre, Wille Pep, Sam Langford, Tony Canzoneri, SRR, Kid Gavilan......should I go on?.......all had every skill you could want and were 15 round fighters or better. What's your point?
I think the point is basically that Trojans has a secret desire for Floyd's children.

Miburo
11-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Whitaker would be a very dangerous fight for him that I see him losing by a slight margin. Benitez did it at a higher weight and was not much naturally bigger.

McGoorty
11-01-2012, 08:13 AM
mayweather would hate duran on the inside (duran is the better inside fighter and the stronger one) IF he doesnt move... fine, the 1st castillo fight, PBF chose to mix it up more on the inside against the mexican... (shoulder injury perhaps?) but for the return match, PBF offered more movement and displayed a more nuanced ring generalship wherein he engaged in the pocket less and became more economical with his punches, picking spots and "found his bicycle" to bring castillo out of his comfort zone so to speak...

for the record despite these things, i would still favor the panamanian to win this fantasy fight because i feel duran can deal with anything PBF has to offer, but not completely sure if its the same the other way around...
Lets face it, for the most part Floyd has never fought fighters as good as in the old days, and he has NEVER fought someone as good as a Duran or any top 20 lightweight in my opinion, Duran beats Floyd an nearly every department, Floyd may not have run from any of his LW opponents but he would be on his bike against Duran and would make the Gene Tunney who ran so fast from Dempsey in the Long Count round look like Tunney was moving forward. Duran KO's Mayweather... in both fights if they ever made a second.

Capaedia
11-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Floyd may not have run from any of his LW opponents but he would be on his bike against Duran and would make the Gene Tunney who ran so fast from Dempsey in the Long Count round look like Tunney was moving forward. Duran KO's Mayweather... in both fights if they ever made a second.

I don't think Floyd would win, but what are you basing this off of?

You're saying a fighter who honestly is one of the smartest and best defensive fighters ever, who has only ever been down once (unofficially, his glove touched the canvas because he was off balance) is going to get knocked out.

You don't like Mayweather, I remember this well, but you could at least give him credit. He'd have to move up more than a few divisions before someone is likely to stop him.

McGoorty
11-01-2012, 08:43 AM
I don't think Floyd would win, but what are you basing this off of?

You're saying a fighter who honestly is one of the smartest and best defensive fighters ever, who has only ever been down once (unofficially, his glove touched the canvas because he was off balance) is going to get knocked out.

You don't like Mayweather, I remember this well, but you could at least give him credit. He'd have to move up more than a few divisions before someone is likely to stop him.
I'm saying Duran is a monster Floyd has never met and will not meet, not now. Duran was equally good at defence, I think he rolled with punches better than anyone else in his era and I think he would test Floyds defence more than any Floyd opponent could have, I am talking prime Duran.... I am not a fan of Floyd, you are right about that, but I still rate him as the #2 fighter of his era... because I have eyes and am no fool. BUT I do believe that styles make fights and boxing is far harder to predict head to head than most posters here seem to realise so I acknowledge that I will be wrong sometimes and that may sometimes coincide with you being right, but I do think a KO victory is possible as I dont think Floyd has had the greatest opposition. I reckon #2 in this era akin to being top 20 in many other eras, I am talking pound for pound, not divisions.

Capaedia
11-01-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm saying Duran is a monster Floyd has never met and will not meet, not now. Duran was equally good at defence, I think he rolled with punches better than anyone else in his era and I think he would test Floyds defence more than any Floyd opponent could have, I am talking prime Duran....

I am not disputing that Duran was an amazing fighter, but at his best, so was and is Floyd.

This is another ATG we are talking about. One who in his prime was very much a complete fighter with a fighters mindset to go with it. He had everything you could want, much like Duran with a different style.

I am not a fan of Floyd, you are right about that, but I still rate him as the #2 fighter of his era... because I have eyes and am no fool. BUT I do believe that styles make fights and boxing is far harder to predict head to head than most posters here seem to realise so I acknowledge that I will be wrong sometimes and that may sometimes coincide with you being right, but I do think a KO victory is possible as I dont think Floyd has had the greatest opposition. I reckon #2 in this era akin to being top 20 in many other eras, I am talking pound for pound, not divisions.

A KO victory is always possible in boxing. That goes both ways, in this fight too. If Duran got too confident against Floyd, he could well find himself on the seat of his pants. I don't think that would happen, but it's a possibility.

I think if Floyd did get hurt, that's a fairly big if in my opinion, he would ugly it up until he clears his head (which the Mosley and Corley fight showed us, can be very quickly).

I agree that #2 in this particular era could mean only a top 20 slot in some other eras (I'm going to leave aside that I think Floyd is #1). But if you put Floyd in that era, he's got better competition to prove himself against, and I think he would be up to that challenge.

McGoorty
11-01-2012, 10:00 AM
I am not disputing that Duran was an amazing fighter, but at his best, so was and is Floyd.

This is another ATG we are talking about. One who in his prime was very much a complete fighter with a fighters mindset to go with it. He had everything you could want, much like Duran with a different style.

A KO victory is always possible in boxing. That goes both ways, in this fight too. If Duran got too confident against Floyd, he could well find himself on the seat of his pants. I don't think that would happen, but it's a possibility.

I think if Floyd did get hurt, that's a fairly big if in my opinion, he would ugly it up until he clears his head (which the Mosley and Corley fight showed us, can be very quickly).

I agree that #2 in this particular era could mean only a top 20 slot in some other eras (I'm going to leave aside that I think Floyd is #1). But if you put Floyd in that era, he's got better competition to prove himself against, and I think he would be up to that challenge.
I am no ******* but I do believe he is the greater fighter and has met the best out there as he was rising, and I dont care what anyone says to diss Manny's 8 division titles from Flyweight up as simply incredible, more than incredible and he fights more like an old timer. I really would have liked to see another guy Floyds size who was a true ATG and to have given us an amazing 3 fight series, I never saw how much was left in Floyds tank as he has never been tested... at least I have never even seen him in a real contest, just walkover after walkover.

McGoorty
11-01-2012, 10:01 AM
I am no ******* but I do believe he is the greater fighter and has met the best out there as he was rising, and I dont care what anyone says to diss Manny's 8 division titles from Flyweight up as simply incredible, more than incredible and he fights more like an old timer. I really would have liked to see another guy Floyds size who was a true ATG and to have given us an amazing 3 fight series, I never saw how much was left in Floyds tank as he has never been tested... at least I have never even seen him in a real contest, just walkover after walkover.
I simply have no idea how on earth ******* came up there, I never swore so not sure what happened there.

Panamaniac
11-01-2012, 02:39 PM
...Whitaker has much more of a chance but again Duran would have no respect for his power and would rough up Whitaker. I imagine if they were to fight he would backpedal most of the fight giving Duran problems but he would be able to stop Duran getting on the inside IMO in which would favour Duran massively...A video clip (see youtube) of Duran vs Bizarro is a good example of how this match-up would go...

Thread Stealer
11-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Of the guys I've seen a good amount of film of, I give the best chance to Whitaker, which I consider close to a pick-em fight.

I'd have Mayweather 2nd, although I definitely favor Duran in that matchup.

Then behind that would be Chavez, I guess.

SBleeder
11-01-2012, 07:51 PM
I definitely favor Gans to beat Duran. I'd give even odds to Whitaker, and Leonard could have a shot, but I'd favor Duran over Leonard.

Capaedia
11-01-2012, 08:23 PM

His title at 154 was and is a farce. He won it against a punching bag who was coming off a year long lay-off, a brutal domination and knockout by an old man (Manny blatantly and openly avoided him after that win by the way, so Floyd took it instead (http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/02/sports/la-sp-dwyre-pacquiao2-2010feb02)). To add to that, he had his loaded wraps taken away. (Margarito should've been banned for life, scum of the earth)

To make matters worse, he won the 154 title at 150.

I think Manny is very, very carefully guided. Roach admitted to avoiding Mosley in 2009, the link is right up there.

If he had stayed at the lower weights he would've made much less money but he wouldn't have needed to catch all these fighters at just the right times.

I simply have no idea how on earth ******* came up there, I never swore so not sure what happened there.

Pac_ _ _ _ is censored. Same with Flo_ _

Rowley
11-03-2012, 06:11 AM
I've always fancied Benny Leonard to beat Duran, think in terms of ring intelligence there are few tat can match Benny and whilst it make take him a couple of rounds I figure him to work Duran out. Whilst I'd back him to outbox Duran is also worth remembering Benny was capable of going to war and mixing it inside when needed and whilst obviously this is not a tactic to employ against Duran there will be points where it is necessary. Also think he has enough power to stop Roberto taking liberties, Leonard was the only guy to ever stop Welsh so his power should not be readily dismissed.

Would ot be easy as nobody has it easy with Duran at lightweight but think Benny does enough to take a decision.

joseph5620
11-03-2012, 01:39 PM

:lol1::lol1::lol1:

joseph5620
11-03-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm saying Duran is a monster Floyd has never met and will not meet, not now. Duran was equally good at defence, I think he rolled with punches better than anyone else in his era and I think he would test Floyds defence more than any Floyd opponent could have, I am talking prime Duran.... I am not a fan of Floyd, you are right about that, but I still rate him as the #2 fighter of his era... because I have eyes and am no fool. BUT I do believe that styles make fights and boxing is far harder to predict head to head than most posters here seem to realise so I acknowledge that I will be wrong sometimes and that may sometimes coincide with you being right, but I do think a KO victory is possible as I dont think Floyd has had the greatest opposition. I reckon #2 in this era akin to being top 20 in many other eras, I am talking pound for pound, not divisions.

No he wasn't. Duran had a good defense but it did not equal Mayweather's.

GoogleMe
11-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Mayweather would make a decent fight at 135, I believe so. We haven't seen him against enough high quality opponents at 135 to know. But he had good movement, speed, combinations, chin and power at that weight. But as said, we don't know enough about Mayweather at 135 to judge, I just believe it'd be an awesome fight.

Sweet Pea and Leonard might cause some trouble for him.

BennyST
11-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Have you forgoten that a top contender named villomar fernandez gave duran some fits and was able to make duran obviously uncomfortable chasing him during their fight? fernandez was KOed eventually yes, but he was a fighter that resides somewhere below PBF's level.

Have you forgotten, or ever even known, that Fernandez gave everyone he ever fought fits. He beat Alexis Arguello and Howard Davis Jr called him the trickiest, and best, boxer he ever fought in his career.

I think it should also be clarified that giving Duran 'fits' still meant losing every round, getting the absolute bollocks beaten out of him and lasting longer than anyone thought he would, through his incredible toughness and ring savvy, before being knocked out.

It would be a bit like saying Cotto gave Floyd fits....except Cotto did better than Fernandez.

BennyST
11-05-2012, 07:25 AM
No he wasn't. Duran had a good defense but it did not equal Mayweather's.

Yeah, and completely different styles of defense. Duran was an offensive fighter with great defense. Mayweather is a defensive fighter with excellent offense. They both base everything off counter punching, but Duran is entirely intent upon destroying his opponent, while Mayweather is intent upon just winning the fight no matter what.

Nonetheless, in Mayweather's most offensive efforts, he got hit quite a lot (probably as much as Duran did in his best defensive fights), as one does when they open up themselves by going for the KO.

Marcov
11-05-2012, 07:40 AM
I can't see anyone beating Duran at lightweight.

PBP
11-05-2012, 10:54 PM
I'd love to see Duran vs. Whitaker. That would be a great fight.

Ray Corso
11-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Armstrong would be tuff on Duran but it would be a great bout. Ike Williams is another who Duran would have to box and be carefull with, Ike was a Monster! Not sure that Pee Wee would be able to keep Duran honest after 6 or 7 rounds but his anticipation might drive Duran crazy! Leonard & Gans are certainly favorites to remember and DeJesus was a capable man. If you want to have a real fight throw Bea Jack in there, wow!
I'm a huge Duran fan at Lightweight and I think he fights anyone from any era and is a top 5 fighter, I think Ike is the only one who might beat him with any consistance. Duran was a fighting machine at 135! Ray

Daddy T
11-07-2012, 08:59 AM
i wouldn't favour ANYBODY against him