View Full Version : Favorite MMA journeyman?

$BloodyNate$
05-15-2011, 08:24 PM
You know how their's those boxers out there that will never be a P4P fighter or rule their division but always put up great fights. Kinda like Katsiditis, Mickey Ward, and Emmnauel Augustus. Well who are your favorite exciting MMA journeyman?

I gotta show some love for my man Gilbert Yvel. One of the most devastating strikers at heavyweights, just underachieved big time. Always exciting though, man always comes to murder his opponents haha.

Chris Lytle is obviously a favorite choice here, the man has never been in a boring fight except when Serra held him against the cage in the 1st fight.

Melvin Manhoef & Cyborg have always been two my favorites too watch too. Even their fight together was like the Gatti-Ward of MMA. Motha****ers went at it! The most exciting MMA fighter ever IMO.

kaps
05-16-2011, 02:30 AM
Chris Lytle gets my vote. Dude gives it 100% every time....

Big BRICKS
05-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Alex Karalexis without a doubt. Honorable mention to Marcus Hicks.

Mr. Beelzebub
05-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Melvin Manhoef

BKM-2010
05-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Cyrille Diabate, although I believe he is more than just a journeyman.

MARKBNLV
05-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Marcus Davis,Phil Baroni,Ricco Rodriquez,Jeff Monson,Crazy horse,Cabbage,Bob Sapp,and many more.

$BloodyNate$
05-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Marcus Davis,Phil Baroni,Ricco Rodriquez,Jeff Monson,Crazy horse,Cabbage,Bob Sapp,and many more.

hahahah Crazy Horse is that *****h! A damn shame, if he would have devoted to MMA 100% he'd probably be a top contender but the motha****a rather chase people around his gym with a led pipe hahaha.

I'll throw up Tim Lawlor too. The man is exciting as hell. Beat Cote, and would be a handful for anybody. Always comes to fight.

ƒallenloki
05-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Alessio Sakara has always been one of my favorites.

samoanJ
05-16-2011, 03:27 PM
he may not be as good as he was in pride.... but wanderlei is still the man

kaps
05-16-2011, 04:49 PM
I agree with Tom Lawler. Matt Wineman too...

Perfect Plex
05-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Chris Lytle gets my vote. Dude gives it 100% every time....

Lytle a journyman?

I always look think a Journyman is someone like a Ruben Villareal or Shannon Ritch. These type of fighters get used for up & comers, they have lost more than they have won but can make things interesting.

Where's Chris Lytle fights for the best organistion in the world. And holds wins over Matt Serra, Matt Brown, Kazuo Misaki, Brian Foster, & Paul Taylor.

kaps
05-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Lytle a journyman?

I always look think a Journyman is someone like a Ruben Villareal or Shannon Ritch. These type of fighters get used for up & comers, they have lost more than they have won but can make things interesting.

Where's Chris Lytle fights for the best organistion in the world. And holds wins over Matt Serra, Matt Brown, Kazuo Misaki, Brian Foster, & Paul Taylor.

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of "gate keeper". Shannon Ritch is a joke....

$BloodyNate$
05-16-2011, 06:24 PM
I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of "gate keeper". Shannon Ritch is a joke....

Yeah thats what I think. I feel like they are fighters that will never hold the gold but are stepping stones for everybody else if they can beat them. Because if you beat Chris Lytle most likely your getting a top 10 fighter next ala Josh Koschek stepping in for Diego to face Alves, Davis co-main evented against Hardy in his next fight.

The guy that just beat him is at the very least getting a ****e TV slot now most likely. But thats only because he was a no namer. if Condit didn't pull out and then beat him, he'd probably be fighting Kos or Diego next.

blaze778
05-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Clay Guida

Perfect Plex
05-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Clay Guida

Are you a joking? Wait.....Can someone explain what a journyman is to me. Because I don't know why legit UFC contedenders are getting named.

Nick Fury
05-16-2011, 11:59 PM
Duane Ludwig

blaze778
05-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Are you a joking? Wait.....Can someone explain what a journyman is to me. Because I don't know why legit UFC contedenders are getting named.

I see a journeyman as a very solid, battle-tested fighter who can give anyone trouble and is of capable pulling off upsets, but not considered elite.

Being a legit contender doesn't mean Guida is a legit threat to the title and although I think he is very good, he is not great by no means.

Guida is still young, but he is very experienced and fits the definition of journeyman in my opinion. He always give it his all and even though a couple of his decision losses could have gone his way, he comes up short against more talented fighters, like Melendez and Florian.

'Sugar' Freddi
05-18-2011, 01:30 AM
Now I don't know what "journeyman" means anymore. :s

blaze778
05-18-2011, 01:56 AM
Now I don't know what "journeyman" means anymore. :s

A journeyman is a boxer with good boxing skills who strives to succeed but who has limitations and little or no expectations of winning a fight. Journeymen are often hired on short notice to fight up-and-coming prospects and contenders to pad their records.

http://www.ringsidebygus.com/boxing-terms.html

I'm assuming boxing and MMA have the same definition for journeyman.

$BloodyNate$
05-18-2011, 02:13 AM
I see a journeyman as a very solid, battle-tested fighter who can give anyone trouble and is of capable pulling off upsets, but not considered elite.

Being a legit contender doesn't mean Guida is a legit threat to the title and although I think he is very good, he is not great by no means.

Guida is still young, but he is very experienced and fits the definition of journeyman in my opinion. He always give it his all and even though a couple of his decision losses could have gone his way, he comes up short against more talented fighters, like Melendez and Florian.

You nailed it mane haha. They can tempt you into thinking their close to a title shot, but then eventually they get taken down when the fight the best of the best. Guida just did beat tough fighters like Dos Anjos broke his jaw, epic burp haha and did beat up Gomi too which was crazy he did it on the feet.

Pettis is the #1 contender but this as far as he ever goes. Like when Diego was about to fight Penn Guida go that far, then Diego got the title shot. Pettis is that guy right now until Maynard-Edgar gets sorted out. This is as far as he does, Pettis should submit him because he'll hit him as hard as Florian and Diego but like Florian Pettis is a wiz on the ground. Too explosive. He's like Nate Diaz on steroids. :weedbear:

blaze778
05-18-2011, 02:27 AM
You nailed it mane haha. They can tempt you into thinking their close to a title shot, but then eventually they get taken down when the fight the best of the best. Guida just did beat tough fighters like Dos Anjos broke his jaw, epic burp haha and did beat up Gomi too which was crazy he did it on the feet.

Pettis is the #1 contender but this as far as he ever goes. Like when Diego was about to fight Penn Guida go that far, then Diego got the title shot. Pettis is that guy right now until Maynard-Edgar gets sorted out. This is as far as he does, Pettis should submit him because he'll hit him as hard as Florian and Diego but like Florian Pettis is a wiz on the ground. Too explosive. He's like Nate Diaz on steroids. :weedbear:

I love Guida, he's like one of my top 5 favorite fighters right now.

But let's be real, he's fighting Pettis for a reason. It's because Guida is a very good fighter, but he doesn't pose a very big threat to Pettis, who was already guaranteed a UFC title shot since December. He'll pressure Pettis and make a fight out of it, but Guida winning is a long shot.

If it weren't for the Maynard/Edgar draw or recent injuries, Pettis would be getting his title shot in 2 weeks.

If Guida wasn't a journeyman, this would a #1 contender match, but there is no mention of Guida getting a title shot if he wins. It would obviously move him much closer to a shot if he got the upset, but there is no guarantee he gets one even if he beats the #1 contender Pettis.

$BloodyNate$
05-18-2011, 02:39 AM
Same with Chris Lytle. The best he ever got was almost won TUF, fought Matt Hughes before he got raped by GSP again. As far as he ever got. Condit has had a very impressive and overachieving career since the WEC. Like alot of people I thought Condit would be in out of the UFC in 3 fights. He's been a warrior. Close epic fight with Kampman, great comeback vs Ellenberger in epic fight, epic comeback vs Macdonald in probably fight of the year for last year. He then KO'd Hardy, he was a big fight away from being a #1 contender vs GSP when he was going to fight Lytle but pulled out. Lytle would have maybe put himself 2 fights within a title shot until he faced Penn, Fitch or Kos again who would beat him but it epic fights like the Kos fight.

Dorian
05-18-2011, 03:05 AM
Brock Lesnar.

$BloodyNate$
05-18-2011, 03:12 AM
I wouldn't say that yet since Brock just got done holding the title. I think one more run then he's done. Next time he loses he's done. He'll probably crush the winner of Big Nog-Scuab or Mir-Nelson next before he could get trashed by Overeem or Dos Santos.

I'm on the fence with Melvin Guillard, he's at the perfect camp to make himself more then just a journeyman and it's looked wonderful, but I think this is his last run also, he just trashed Dunham who thought would get a title shot in his next fight or 2 if he beat Florian who he was suppose to fight but chickened out down to 145. Shane Roller is a solid veteran lightweight who is Melvin wins especially devastatingly impressively , he could see himself against the Maynard-Edgar loser, or Jim Miller to see who got the next shot at lightweight after Maynard-Edgar winner vs Pettis.

Hes definitely my favorite lightweight next to the likes of JZ, Alvarez, Melendez, Krazy Horse, and Pettis. Very exciting.

No1
05-18-2011, 08:17 AM
I'd say Clay Guida as well. He coud never win a title as proven when he steps up in comp but always puts on a decent fight against similar level fighters but comes up short when fighting championship level fighters.