View Full Version : Fighters that went from troubled youths to successful boxers?

$Natedatpkid$
05-15-2011, 08:10 AM
I'm pretty interested in hearing all the fighters that went from rags to riches. Went from having troubled childhoods to successful boxers. Pretty much meaning fighters who came straight out of jail and into the ring. Any fighters with a criminal record before they became stars in the ring.

Of course the most obvious ones are Bernard Hopkins & Ron Lyle. Even Kendall Holt who made me think of this too begin with because of friday's fight and the background story they did on him.

Who else?

talip bin osman
05-15-2011, 08:50 AM
iran barkley...

Barn
05-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Mike Tyson, Bernard Hopkins, George Foreman, Sonny Liston.

New England
05-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Uhhhh...
most of them
to make the sacrifices a great boxer must make it helps to come from nothing and have nothing to lose

matt franklin came from foster homes (later became matt saad muhammad, one of the best lightheavyweights ever)

erik morales was born in al norte, one of the toughest barrios in mexico

joe frazier was the son of a sharecropper

manny pacquiao had to eat a pet because his family was starving when he was a boy

mike tyson was an all purpose thug, crook, and stick up kid in brownsville brooklyn

so was bernard hopkins (and he endured a lengthy tenure in prison)

devon alexander (it still burns, evidently,) was from one of the roughest neighborhoods in st louis. his brother is in prison, and most of his friends from his childhood are dead

brandon ríos clearly needed the gym from keeping him from being in idiot in kansas in his youth (by his own admission, without boxing he would just be "some ****up, somewhere."

could continue, but i'll make sure not to take up all the good examples

Barn
05-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Roberto Duran had to swim across a river daily for food.

JAB5239
05-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Graziano
Ross
LaMotta

Pastrano
05-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Gtfoh, really?!?:wtf1:

New England
05-15-2011, 11:16 AM

haha so did i
didn't everybody?

Barn
05-15-2011, 11:22 AM
no I had it way worse, oceans and that.

Barn
05-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Gtfoh, really?!?:wtf1:
Maybe not "daily" but, he did do it when supplies were getting low.

SCtrojansbaby
05-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Just about all of them came from troubled youths

Terry A
05-15-2011, 05:46 PM
When I hear "troubled youth" to successful fighter, the 1st guy who always comes to mind is Rocky Graziano, one of my all-time top 10 favorite fighters.

Tony Ayala coulda-shoulda fit the description but he was just a fake at repenting or "turning over a new leaf". He's a huge disappointment to those who gave him a 2nd & 3rd & 4th chance.....

$Natedatpkid$
05-15-2011, 07:47 PM

haha O *****! That's freakin crazy.

Some good names being mentioned. Boxing has always been a great sport to put some discipline into people. I mean it changes lives and helps people find a way out, no to mention it keeps them in good shape.

The worst problem with boxing is the brain damage and woman beating. But I mean were all gonna die anyways.

Obviously, one of my favorite fighters, James Kirkland has had problems with the law his whole life. Lets not forget Reuban "Hurricane" Carter! haha

SBleeder
05-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Honestly, a more probative thread would have been "Successful fighters who didn't have a troubled youth". I know of very few world champions who led a privileged childhood.

physiker
05-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Rubin Hurricane Carter was a troubled yewt.

I use the Joe Pesci pronounciation. [My Cousin Vinny]

JAB5239
05-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Honestly, a more probative thread would have been "Successful fighters who didn't have a troubled youth". I know of very few world champions who led a privileged childhood.

Marco Antonio Barrera

physiker
05-15-2011, 09:39 PM
I know the book:

"The Yellow River" by I.P. Daily

Wouldn't want to swim across that one.

Letty James
01-11-2012, 07:13 AM
The youngest heavyweight champion in boxing history, Mike Tyson is also one of the sport's most notorious figures. After a troubled childhood and a number of arrests, he landed at a juvenile delinquency programs in New York where his skills as a fighter were first noticed. The physical education teacher at the school introduced Tyson to Cus D'Amato, a famed boxing manager and trainer, who took the young man under his wing and became his legal guardian.

Here (http://www.troubledteens.com/boot-camps-and-programs/what-are-juvenile-delinquency-programs.html) are a few examples of juvenile delinquency programs.

BennyST
01-11-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm pretty interested in hearing all the fighters that went from rags to riches. Went from having troubled childhoods to successful boxers. Pretty much meaning fighters who came straight out of jail and into the ring. Any fighters with a criminal record before they became stars in the ring.

Of course the most obvious ones are Bernard Hopkins & Ron Lyle. Even Kendall Holt who made me think of this too begin with because of friday's fight and the background story they did on him.

Who else?

You mean from the US right? Because the poverty that those guys went through is ****ing jack ****e in comparison to what most guys from other countries went through.

Hopkins had it good mate. He was no different than the tens of thousands of other ghetto kids. That doesn't even begin to compare with what Pac, Duran, Arguello, Mayorga....and 80% of all boxers has to come from.

I'm not trying to sound offensive, but in comparison, Hopkins had it mighty fine!

The difference between Hopkins and Lyle's 'ghetto' and Duran's and Pacquiao's ghetto's is a ****ing massive world way. It's not even comparable. Don't make it such, because Hopkins would love it to be so. Would make his story, as amazing as it is, worth a lot more.

NChristo
01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Kassim Ouma.

New England
01-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Kassim Ouma.

yikes

thats a tough one to beat

BennyST
01-11-2012, 10:25 AM

This is what should have been asked, because it's the one that would get some interesting answers.

Most successful fighters became fighters because of poverty. Those that didn't is more fascinating.

The most obvious one is Barrera.Famous for it.

Marquez bros?

BennyST
01-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Kassim Ouma.

Yup. There's a big one.

NChristo
01-11-2012, 10:36 AM
This is what should have been asked, because it's the one that would get some interesting answers.

Most successful fighters became fighters because of poverty. Those that didn't is more fascinating.

Marquez bros?

Ruben Olivares, Freddie Welsh, Ken Norton (I think ?) all came from pretty well off families.

NChristo
01-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Ruben Olivares, Freddie Welsh, Ken Norton (I think ?) all came from pretty well off families.

Tougher then I thought, put down 2 other names then realized after a quick thought they were both from pretty poor places / families.

New England
01-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Tougher then I thought, put down 2 other names then realized after a quick thought they were both from pretty poor places / families.

you made up for it with boy soldier ouma

god bless him, i cant imagine what it's like living in his head for a day, even after all these years

that's got to stay with you

Scott9945
01-11-2012, 11:07 AM

Marco Antonio Barrera fits that description.

NChristo
01-11-2012, 11:09 AM
you made up for it with boy soldier ouma

god bless him, i cant imagine what it's like living in his head for a day, even after all these years

that's got to stay with you

I think he's just happy he got away from it all successfully, brought up his own family in a better environment and finally got too see his own family again despite how long it took and the whole process, don't think I've ever seen him without a smile on his face although that's probably because he is high all the time as well :lol1:.

But yeah couldn't imagine going through what he has, have you seen the documentary on him ?.

Barn
01-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Sam Langford had it quite bad, run away from home at 12 after being beaten by his father badly. Then did odd jobs and eventually became a prizefighter, one of the best.

lightsout_finit
01-11-2012, 12:02 PM

Marquez bros?

Marquez bros were poor i think......
I remember a few years back i think they were both fighting on the same card
and they did a story on them. The bros talked about how they're childhood freinds are either dead or in jail and stuff like that.
I think i saw it on the juan vs Jandaeng bill........
:)

MRBOOMER
01-12-2012, 03:32 AM
Jermain Taylor wasn't broke as a child neither was Ali

MRBOOMER
01-12-2012, 03:33 AM
On topic Whitaker had a pretty roughy childhood I was talking to my pops he said sweet pea was from a pretty ghetto slum in va where we used to stay.

rorymac
01-14-2012, 06:04 AM
Uhhhh...
most of them
to make the sacrifices a great boxer must make it helps to come from nothing and have nothing to lose

matt franklin came from foster homes (later became matt saad muhammad, one of the best lightheavyweights ever)

erik morales was born in al norte, one of the toughest barrios in mexico

joe frazier was the son of a sharecropper

manny pacquiao had to eat a pet because his family was starving when he was a boy

mike tyson was an all purpose thug, crook, and stick up kid in brownsville brooklyn

so was bernard hopkins (and he endured a lengthy tenure in prison)

devon alexander (it still burns, evidently,) was from one of the roughest neighborhoods in st louis. his brother is in prison, and most of his friends from his childhood are dead

brandon ríos clearly needed the gym from keeping him from being in idiot in kansas in his youth (by his own admission, without boxing he would just be "some ****up, somewhere."

could continue, but i'll make sure not to take up all the good examples
I'm probably wrong but weren't Morales' parents doctors? No I must be thinking of Barrera. Stupid me

Cloud
01-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Victor Ortiz
Antonio Margarito
Juan Diaz
Kostya Tszyu

(got those from a list on an other site).

EDIT - One i thought of....Dwight Muhammed Qawi? I know he was in prison but im not sure if he had a really bad youth.

EDIT II - Looking at some articles, Qawi did have a trouble youth.