View Full Version : Am i Telegraphinh my punches?

Be_kind_rewind
05-14-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm just curious about how I begin to throw my punches and my head position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcWigJa_z2M

My allergies are bother me so i'm sniffeling and out of breath from asthma, and don't mind my open hands or short punches. I was rushing this video.

Edit:

I added two more videos of me shadowboxing hopefully this will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-xkcBiJHcs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS1jzlXSfc0

TheHolyCross
05-14-2011, 03:49 PM
you're not throwing punches, so no

frosty-g
05-14-2011, 04:34 PM
alright,
well you ain't telegraphing, but then it would make no sense to anyway if there's zero power in what you're doing so it would serve no purpose.
how does rushing affect whether or not the hand is open or the punches extended?- it doesn't take any longer, well maybe a few milliseconds for the extra length of the punch, but you get my point?- you just weren't punching properly it had nothing to do with rushing the video.

there's no point analysing a video like that one because it bears no relation to the actual punches you would throw at pads, a bag, an opponent.
throwing light shots like that will take away the telegraphing like cutting off your leg will stop a pain in your foot. does the trick but not very productive and kinda defeats the point.

just throw your stuff as realistically as you can and then we can identify your mistakes and correct them. if you do telegraph when you throw your proper shots on the new video we'll be able to see it and see why it is happening.

MePunchHard
05-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Try using proper technique first and stop trying to look like Roy Jones jr :P

Be_kind_rewind
05-14-2011, 08:52 PM
alright,
well you ain't telegraphing, but then it would make no sense to anyway if there's zero power in what you're doing so it would serve no purpose.
how does rushing affect whether or not the hand is open or the punches extended?- it doesn't take any longer, well maybe a few milliseconds for the extra length of the punch, but you get my point?- you just weren't punching properly it had nothing to do with rushing the video.

there's no point analysing a video like that one because it bears no relation to the actual punches you would throw at pads, a bag, an opponent.
throwing light shots like that will take away the telegraphing like cutting off your leg will stop a pain in your foot. does the trick but not very productive and kinda defeats the point.

just throw your stuff as realistically as you can and then we can identify your mistakes and correct them. if you do telegraph when you throw your proper shots on the new video we'll be able to see it and see why it is happening.

Yeah i apoligize for the laziness, I'll probably repost another video tonight. But when I'm doing flurries I don't fully extend my punches, is that bad? WHen i'm at my boxing gym it's hard to concentrate on all my movements, and it's really hard to tell if my left hand showing any sign of an incoming punch, but what about the way hold my head is that bad?? That is how it is all the time.

[edit] I just rewatched the video, and wow my punches where pretty much bull****. I was so hype at how my body shot looked at the end, i honestly ain't even care :boxing:{

frosty-g
05-14-2011, 10:06 PM
"InThisCornerTV.com talks with Yuriorkis Gamboa"
search that on youtube (won't let me post the link)

have a look at what he's doing from 2:47 onwards that's what you're after. you don't necessarily want to put too much in them shots and risk hyperextending (because there's no impact the fist travels a little further than is comfortable if thrown too hard), but what you were practising in your video were sorta half punches, bit like doing loads of walking as practice for a marathon- what your body is getting used to with that is throwing those half punches with no power and that won't really help you when you are actually hitting stuff for real. do a video something along the lines of this gamboa one, concentrating on proper punches but nice an relaxed, whatever punches you want, post it up and let's see how it is.

Be_kind_rewind
05-14-2011, 11:24 PM
New videos added

frosty i just got that last post, but i'm going to try that. Shadowboxing is one of those things I kinda skimp out on at the gym. either that or I shadowbox with weights, Shadowboxing is so empty to me, i prefer heavy bag work or sparring.

The way that guy throws his punches is so awkward

frosty-g
05-15-2011, 09:09 AM
New videos added

frosty i just got that last post, but i'm going to try that. Shadowboxing is one of those things I kinda skimp out on at the gym. either that or I shadowbox with weights, Shadowboxing is so empty to me, i prefer heavy bag work or sparring.

The way that guy throws his punches is so awkward

yeah i get where you're coming from but shadowboxing is at least as important. it's your opportunity to work on getting the pure techniques (footwork, punches, defences etc.) right without having to worry about getting hit or anything else. therefore you can concentrate on getting it all just right THEN you have a chance to use it when you work on the bag or spar.
shadowboxing with weights isn't a great thing to do because it will make you throw short punches, might weigh your hands down a bit so they start dropping out of the guard, all of which will become habit (not good for sparring!). other conditioning work is better for punch strength and most of the power comes from the legs anyway.

can be a bit boring to be fair- so make it more interesting by going through EVERYTHING you know, experiment with new combinations and movement etc. it is important to imagine an opponent in front of you too, imagine what he would be doing, where the gaps might be, what counters you or he could throw- becomes pretty interesting if you do all that. i bet you won't work on half of that stuff when you're just sparring so that limits you- shadowboxing is great for developing and perfecting everything for use on the bag/pads, sparring, fighting.

yeah, if we could all do what gamboa does would be nice eh...?!

Be_kind_rewind
05-15-2011, 06:39 PM
that makes a lot of sense I'm gonna remember that next time I start shadowboxing.

Still need someone to check the videos i posted.

Maxgaggi
05-16-2011, 06:22 PM
bro, a few pointers:

1: close your hands
2: throw proper defined punches
3: extend your arms while straight-punching
4: look ahead of you, not at the ground

but thanks for posting, good luck!

..David..
05-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Not to be an azzhole but seriously whats with all of u guys trying to learn by your own... go to a gym bro a trainer will fix those mistakes. Thats the whole purpose of training.U seem to be in shape so if u wanna learn how to throw proper punches then go and train them.

Cheers men keep up the good work !

frosty-g
05-16-2011, 07:41 PM
bro, a few pointers:

1: close your hands
2: throw proper defined punches
3: extend your arms while straight-punching
4: look ahead of you, not at the ground

but thanks for posting, good luck!

yeah i agree with all that.

only fully close your hands just before where you would be landing if you were actually hitting something- this way the punches come out quicker and have an explosive quality on impact, and when defending you won't have to unclench your fists before catching, blocking or parrying shots = a fraction quicker, but those fractions add up a lot! that said, don't have them open the rest of the time- so in a fist but not a tightened fist, so you could maybe fit one of the fingers from your other hand into the gap between your fingers and palm of the hand if that makes sense!?

definitely look ahead- you'll be able to see where you're aiming, see your opponent's punches and it will help your balance because the head is a real heavy part of the body and leaning it forward puts your weight forward
screwing up your centre of gravity.

an improvement on your first video though, nice one!

Pacroid
05-17-2011, 03:10 AM
Actually you re not, You're quite fast.

However you need to improve your guard, your right hand try to put it where your chin is.
You need more head, and hip movement. and try to twist it everytime you punch w/ your right hands and uppercuts.

try to improve this and you ll be a dangerous man lol

cheers

tdawg83
05-17-2011, 03:19 AM
u tend to shake your left hand just a little before you throw your flurrys, but i had to look real hard to see that

Uturn
05-17-2011, 07:42 AM
you need to add some feints into your game man.

frosty-g
05-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Not to be an azzhole but seriously whats with all of u guys trying to learn by your own... go to a gym bro a trainer will fix those mistakes. Thats the whole purpose of training.U seem to be in shape so if u wanna learn how to throw proper punches then go and train them.

hopefully he is already going to a gym, if not then yeah it would be a good start!
you have a lot of faith in boxing coaches though, if you lived where i do you'd be more pessimistic, the gyms and coaches are awful. a half-decent coach will sort him out but a bad one won't.
he needs get to a decent gym.

frosty-g
05-17-2011, 08:06 AM
you need to add some feints into your game man.

you honestly think that's on the priority list?

Be_kind_rewind
05-17-2011, 07:32 PM
hopefully he is already going to a gym, if not then yeah it would be a good start!
you have a lot of faith in boxing coaches though, if you lived where i do you'd be more pessimistic, the gyms and coaches are awful. a half-decent coach will sort him out but a bad one won't.
he needs get to a decent gym.

I'm actually in a gym and i trained for about a year and some change then stopped for two years. I've been back for two months. I'm gonna need someone at the gym to record me doing heavy bag. I clearly have some bad habits when i shadowbox, and when i hit the bag i don't do the same thing, my punches are more refined.

but how will my bad habits at shadowboxing effect me when I fight tottally differntly when im on the bag or in the ring?

Be_kind_rewind
05-17-2011, 07:43 PM

I don't know about you but i feel that this video shows that i have some sort of training under my belt. but i do understand where your coming from, because one I do look like i'm trying to copy what i've seen on tv, but it's all natural our trainer wants us to show swag and confidence when we box, so i'm trying to get that in. also, and for some reason I was throwing my punches fully. I'm gonna have someone record me at the gym nexxt time.

Move
05-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Yes you telegraph your punches, you are really in a gym?
Maybe you new in Boxing?

Be_kind_rewind
05-17-2011, 10:01 PM
nah i've been boxing for a while, although i took a a 2 year break it was more like on and off. Alright it's clear i gotta get a real video of me seriously doing a workout. I'm gonna bring my camera to the gym tommorrow and then i'm gonna let you see.

My trainer barely pays any mind to me anymore probbaly because i kept leaving on and off for 2 years, i wouldn't take me seriously either and i gained weight.

so until he does i gotta work off what i know

frosty-g
05-18-2011, 05:47 AM
Yes you telegraph your punches, you are really in a gym?
Maybe you new in Boxing?

There's quite a bit that needs working on but one thing he doesn't do is telegraph his punches. There's no pull-back except a little when leading with a left hand shot other than a jab- and that is understandable, although not correct, because the bodyweight needs transferring across to the left side of the body before throwing the shot; that requires either some fairly complex footwork (if to be done properly) or as an easier option, upper body movement, moving the waist a little with it. Another option is almost jump in with the left hook but I wouldn't recommend that for someone not experienced in how to throw a technically correct hook in the first place.

One thing our man really needs to learn to do, and someone already mentioned this, is transfer his bodyweight through the punches, ie move the feet in time with the punches, nice and neat and firm, and push that power through the hips. If not, when he actually does throw more solid shots there probably will be some telegraphing because the power has to come from somewhere.
It's a bit hard to teach in writing but (OP) if your trainer ain't helping you, and this relates to what I was saying before about a lot of trainers being sh*t (maybe the guy know his stuff and is just waiting for you to show some commitment, but right now he's not doing you any damn favours)- SO, ask one of the decent boxers in your gym, someone who seems clever and happy to talk to you, ask them how they do put weight into their shots- hopefully they'll be able to explain it to you, and probably your "coach" will give you a bit more respect for it.

frosty-g
05-18-2011, 05:59 AM
nah i've been boxing for a while, although i took a a 2 year break it was more like on and off. Alright it's clear i gotta get a real video of me seriously doing a workout. I'm gonna bring my camera to the gym tommorrow and then i'm gonna let you see.

My trainer barely pays any mind to me anymore probbaly because i kept leaving on and off for 2 years, i wouldn't take me seriously either and i gained weight.

mate, i've had a lot of sh*t with coaches where i live now, they're useless. hopefully the guy you've got there is decent and will start helping you out soon but i've been in this situation before myself.
i was lucky because i lived in cuba for a year and was boxing 5-6 days a week, my coach was wicked and he mentored me throughout that time to become a coach myself, we did hundreds of hours of theory plus all the practical stuff.
he did it all purely because he thought i'd be a good coach myself and that's the way they do it over there- identify who'd be good at it and if they wanna, then train them up. it's a good attitude and i think anyone wants to learn deserves a bit of help.
respect for coming on here asking for advice. just try and understand the reasons behind the things that people advise you to do, like why you should be looking up for example- pretty easy if you think about it, but you understood why to begin with you wouldn't be so likely to do it. if you can really figure out the reasons for doing stuff then you'll learn real well.

frosty-g
05-18-2011, 06:09 AM

good quote for ya:
"Above all things, never think that you're not good enough yourself. A man should never think that. My belief is that in life people will take you at your own reckoning."
Isaac Asimov- although I nicked this quote out of a book I just finished on strength training, ha ha

go down the gym, work on what you've been learning, ask people stuff, act serious and acknowledge the fact that you ARE taking it serious coz you ARE- most peopel ain't gonna waste their time or risk criticism posting videos if they ain't bothered about boxing. Just do your thing and people will notice.

GoogleMe
05-19-2011, 06:16 AM
Why do people try to become boxers at home? Get to a ****ing gym and that can't be fast enough really.

frosty-g
05-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Why do people try to become boxers at home? Get to a ****ing gym and that can't be fast enough really.

he does go to a gym but wants and needs some advice, good on the lad for trying to improve.
why do do you waste your time with posting pointless miserable comments?

Amazinger
05-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Next time shadowbox in front of a mirror and look at your self as you punch.

The way you shadowbox will not help you out because your trying to stay in the shell on your video. do not hold your jab.You only do that in feints.jab all the way.and keep in mind your breathing too. there's a system on breathing and punching.remember tho what we tell you is "our" way of doing it.You will develop one that suits you well eventually.