View Full Version : Underrated Premature Stoppage's?

Perfect Plex
05-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Name not so obvious fights from the past that you feel got stopped to early?

SCtrojansbaby
05-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Orlando Salido vs Juanma

BattlingNelson
05-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Leonard - Kalule fits the bill. Kalule beat the count, but the ref stopped it a little early.

Calzaghe - Manfredo. A pretty bad stoppage. Calzaghe throws an avalanche of punches and the unhurt Manfredo fails to throw anything back.

Dokes - Weaver. Perhaps somewhat obvious. At least it got plenty of attention BITD.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/01kQU-FMog0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Scott9945
05-14-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm assuming that JCC-Taylor qualifies as obvious.

I thought the first McCall-Lewis stoppage was a travesty. Leonard-Benitez didn't need to be stopped, although Ray would have won on points anyway.

MANIAC310
05-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Orlando Salido vs Juanma

it wasn't that early... it was a good stoppage in my opinion...

Scott9945
05-14-2011, 08:26 PM
it wasn't that early... it was a good stoppage in my opinion...

It probably saved Juanma from a lot of extra damage that may have shortened his career. He was a beaten fighter when it was stopped.

TBear
05-15-2011, 02:13 AM
Joey Curtis pulling the plug on the previously mentioned Dokes-Weaver I was the first fight that came to mind when I seen this thread.

SCtrojansbaby
05-15-2011, 02:46 AM
It probably saved Juanma from a lot of extra damage that may have shortened his career. He was a beaten fighter when it was stopped.

I don't see how you can say he was a beaten fighter when he was on his feet and throwing back.

There were AT LEAST a dozen times during the Ward Gatti trilogy where those guys win worse shape then Juanma was and the fight was never stopped.

Growth
05-15-2011, 02:59 AM
You are asking about the past but I think all fights these days are stopped to quick. You have to be the star or the home town fighter to keep from the ref stopping it on you.

SCtrojansbaby
05-15-2011, 04:01 AM
You are asking about the past but I think all fights these days are stopped to quick. You have to be the star or the home town fighter to keep from the ref stopping it on you.

Juanma got stopped in PR :dunno: just saying

JAB5239
05-15-2011, 04:19 AM
I'm assuming that JCC-Taylor qualifies as obvious.

I thought the first McCall-Lewis stoppage was a travesty. Leonard-Benitez didn't need to be stopped, although Ray would have won on points anyway.

But Scott, wasn't Lewis falling into the refs arms, and didn't he need to be helped down the stairs 5 minutes later? Poleaxed! :lol1:

gamefrk
05-15-2011, 04:38 AM
khan vs mc closkey

Jeff Da Maori
05-15-2011, 05:23 AM

So was Meldrick Taylor bro. The amount of time left on the clock doesn't count for 5hit.

Scott9945
05-15-2011, 07:17 PM
I don't see how you can say he was a beaten fighter when he was on his feet and throwing back.

There were AT LEAST a dozen times during the Ward Gatti trilogy where those guys win worse shape then Juanma was and the fight was never stopped.

He was on his feet but just flailing away with harmeless slapping punches. There was nowhere to go but down at that point. If I managed the guy, I'd be grateful for the stoppage. It may have given him quite a few more quality performances later in his career.

Scott9945
05-15-2011, 07:19 PM
So was Meldrick Taylor bro. The amount of time left on the clock doesn't count for 5hit.

Strongly disagree. The time on the clock always matters, especially when the fighter isn't being hit when you actually stop it.

SCtrojansbaby
05-15-2011, 07:33 PM
He was on his feet but just flailing away with harmeless slapping punches. There was nowhere to go but down at that point. If I managed the guy, I'd be grateful for the stoppage. It may have given him quite a few more quality performances later in his career.

Like I said none of the Ward Gatti fights get past the 6th round if that is the standard for a ref stopping a fight

Wild Blue Yonda
05-15-2011, 09:49 PM
First one to jump out at me was Chavez-Taylor II. No one mentions it, but I thought it was early.

Vazquez-Marquez II & Casamayor-Katsidis.