View Full Version : The Top 30 Heavyweight Boxers Ever

Devroy Jones
05-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I know this topic has been done to death, but still i cannot fail but notice that people never seem to get weary of it. And also, pardon me - I'm new, so I had to get a first-hand taste of what the knowledgeable people of this forum think. So, here goes my list -

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Jack Johnson
4. Larry Holmes
5. George Foreman
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Rocky Marciano
8. Sonny Liston
9. Mike Tyson
10. Joe Frazier
11. Jim Jeffries
12. Lennox Lewis
13. Sam Langford
14. Evander Holyfield
15. Ezzard Charles
16. Floyd Patterson
17. Riddick Bowe
18. Gene Tunney
19. Jersey Joe Walcott
20. Max Schmeling
21. Ken Norton
22. Max Baer
23. Harry Wills
24. Jack Sharkley
25. Peter Jackson
26. Joe Jeanette
27. James J Corbett
28. Elmer Ray
29. George Godfrey
30. Jerry Quarry

Now, now. I created this thread because I wanted you guys to comment on my Top 30 list. I really do appreciate your coments and I will welcome any suggestions made for it.

But it would be an added bonus if you guys could post your top 10/20/30 list here. Come on fellas - I want it to be the longest thread ever:fing02::biggthump:boxing:

New England
05-14-2011, 12:05 PM
lol i'm too lazy to dig up my top 10

nevermind put together a 30, lol

anybody finds my top ten and pastes it on here (its somewhere in the history section,) gets 25 millions e-pts
and a pat on the back

good work, though
nothing is worse than figuring out a bunch of fighters you have to put in front of a great

Ziggy Stardust
05-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Check out the sticky thread at the top of the section:
http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135078

JAB5239
05-14-2011, 03:27 PM
I disagree with some of you placements, but its all very subjective. Here's my top 12. If you don't mind me asking, what criteria are you using to rank fighters?

12. frazier
11. Dempsey
10. Marciano
9. Holyfield
8. Liston
7. Tyson
6. Foreman
5. Lewis
4. Johnson
3. Holmes
2. Ali
1. Louis

SBleeder
05-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Jimmy Bivins absolutely must be on the list somewhere.

Here are my top 16 heavyweights, I've never gone beyond that:

1. Ali
2. Louis
3. Foreman
4. Holmes
5. Dempsey
6. Marciano
7. Liston
8. Frazier
9. Bivins
10. Johnson
11. Walcott
12. Lewis
13. Holyfield
14. Wills
15. Tyson
16. Burns

Steak
05-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Johnson and Dempsey are both way too high in my opinion. they didnt beat the best fighters available to them during their reign.

Im especially surprised that Johnson is so high on your list, while Wills is so low...Wills beat many of Johnson's best wins, and when they were more in their prime(Langford, Jeanette, McVea).

I would have Holyfield and Lewis a bit higher, personally.

JAB5239
05-14-2011, 05:54 PM

1. Ali
2. Louis
3. Foreman
4. Holmes
5. Dempsey
6. Marciano
7. Liston
8. Frazier
9. Bivins
10. Johnson
11. Walcott
12. Lewis
13. Holyfield
14. Wills
15. Tyson
16. Burns

You're kidding, right Who the hell did Bivins ever beat at heavyweight to get him ranked 9th in your opinion?

fitefanSHO
05-14-2011, 05:56 PM
I can offer a Top 10 Heavyweights List, mine. :boxing:

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Rocky Marciano
4. Larry Holmes
5. George Foreman
6. Jack Johnson
7. Evander Holyfield
8. Lennox Lewis
9. Joe Frazier
10. Jack Dempsey

Not sure where Tyson falls in my as yet unwritten Top 30 list :thinking:

bklynboy
05-14-2011, 06:22 PM

1. Ali
2. Louis
3. Foreman
4. Holmes
5. Dempsey
6. Marciano
7. Liston
8. Frazier
9. Bivins
10. Johnson
11. Walcott
12. Lewis
13. Holyfield
14. Wills
15. Tyson
16. Burns

Why should Bivens be considered a TOP 30 Heavyweight? I can see him as a TOP 10 Lightheavy but what makes you think he could have competed with Louis or Marciano? He lost just about every fight with good-great heavyweights.

House of Stone
05-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I know this topic has been done to death, but still i cannot fail but notice that people never seem to get weary of it. And also, pardon me - I'm new, so I had to get a first-hand taste of what the knowledgeable people of this forum think. So, here goes my list -

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Jack Johnson
4. Larry Holmes
5. George Foreman
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Rocky Marciano
8. Sonny Liston
9. Mike Tyson
10. Joe Frazier
11. Jim Jeffries
12. Lennox Lewis
13. Sam Langford
14. Evander Holyfield
15. Ezzard Charles
16. Floyd Patterson
17. Riddick Bowe
18. Gene Tunney
19. Jersey Joe Walcott
20. Max Schmeling
21. Ken Norton
22. Max Baer
23. Harry Wills
24. Jack Sharkley
25. Peter Jackson
26. Joe Jeanette
27. James J Corbett
28. Elmer Ray
29. George Godfrey
30. Jerry Quarry

Now, now. I created this thread because I wanted you guys to comment on my Top 30 list. I really do appreciate your coments and I will welcome any suggestions made for it.

But it would be an added bonus if you guys could post your top 10/20/30 list here. Come on fellas - I want it to be the longest thread ever:fing02::biggthump:boxing:

I think your overly harsh on modern fighters, I mean its a good list at the top end but be serious at the bottom end dude,seriously ... jerry quarry/jack sharkey i don't see any argument for them being top twenty and as for jeanette/godfrey/elmer ray/harry wills etc - I mean have you ever even seen decent footage of these guys in action? I'm sure u haven't ... how can you judge someone you haven't seen especially when they don't have long reigns or loads of great vicories on their cvs ... what about the Klitschkos/ingemar johanson/spinks/ i don't think its right to completely disregard the modern guys who you have seen but might not like in favour of ancient guys you haven't seen but assume you'd like.

oh and one more thing for a diffrent poster bivens number 9 ????????????

bklynboy
05-14-2011, 07:39 PM
I think your overly harsh on modern fighters, I mean its a good list at the top end but be serious at the bottom end dude,seriously ... jerry quarry/jack sharkey i don't see any argument for them being top twenty and as for jeanette/godfrey/elmer ray/harry wills etc - I mean have you ever even seen decent footage of these guys in action? I'm sure u haven't ... how can you judge someone you haven't seen especially when they don't have long reigns or loads of great vicories on their cvs ... what about the Klitschkos/ingemar johanson/spinks/ i don't think its right to completely disregard the modern guys who you have seen but might not like in favour of ancient guys you haven't seen but assume you'd like.

oh and one more thing for a diffrent poster bivens number 9 ????????????

Regarding modern fighters - who else except *perhaps* the K brothers could possibly be included from the last 30 years?

Larry Holmes
Mike Tyson
Lennox Lewis
Evander Holyfield
Riddick Bowe

are on the list. I can't see adding anyone else. Michel Spinks was a great boxer but, in my book, he's more of a lightheavy than a heavyweight.

IronDanHamza
05-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Couple things here and thereI would change but you will get that with any list.

So overall, excellent list :fing02:

Scott9945
05-14-2011, 08:12 PM

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Jack Johnson
4. Larry Holmes
5. George Foreman
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Rocky Marciano
8. Sonny Liston
9. Mike Tyson
10. Joe Frazier
11. Jim Jeffries
12. Lennox Lewis
13. Sam Langford
14. Evander Holyfield
15. Ezzard Charles
16. Floyd Patterson
17. Riddick Bowe
18. Gene Tunney
19. Jersey Joe Walcott
20. Max Schmeling
21. Ken Norton
22. Max Baer
23. Harry Wills
24. Jack Sharkley
25. Peter Jackson
26. Joe Jeanette
27. James J Corbett
28. Elmer Ray
29. George Godfrey
30. Jerry Quarry

Are the Klitschko's not on this list because they are still active, or because you thought them unworthy?

Devroy Jones
05-15-2011, 05:44 AM
I disagree with some of you placements, but its all very subjective. Here's my top 12. If you don't mind me asking, what criteria are you using to rank fighters?

12. frazier
11. Dempsey
10. Marciano
9. Holyfield
8. Liston
7. Tyson
6. Foreman
5. Lewis
4. Johnson
3. Holmes
2. Ali
1. Louis

My criteria is something like 65% Head To Head Matchups and 35% Career Statistics.
On an other note - I have no problem with Joe Louis toppling Ali, but you gotta get Lennox out of the top 10 man.
I can also see your argument coming, You ask if i base my list on the criteria above then how can lennox not be worthy of the fifth position? I have my answer ready, Lennox's competition was not exactly crap, but the guy had no better competition than Marciano(which was pretty weak). But then again, you are entitled to your opinion.

Devroy Jones
05-15-2011, 05:55 AM

1. Ali
2. Louis
3. Foreman
4. Holmes
5. Dempsey
6. Marciano
7. Liston
8. Frazier
9. Bivins
10. Johnson
11. Walcott
12. Lewis
13. Holyfield
14. Wills
15. Tyson
16. Burns

Jimmy Bivins? What the hell did the guy do to be regarded so highly by you? The only worthwhile thing he had done in his career was that he defeated Ezzard Charles in their first match. I tend to believe that was a fluke - My beleif becomes true somewhat by looking at the results of their subsequent matches.:dunno:

Devroy Jones
05-15-2011, 06:07 AM
Are the Klitschko's not on this list because they are still active, or because you thought them unworthy?

Vitali's greatest fight was probably the one with Lennox Lewis and he lost that. Lennox said he was not 100% for that fight. That may or may not be true, but that aint the question. The fact is Vitali gave his best but still could not beat a post-prime Lewis. So, Vitali does not feature in my top 30 list.

Wladimir on the other hand is IMO too young to be judged. The crop of opponents he faces are mediocre at best and as i said I base my list 65% on Head to Head matchups. I don't think Wladimir Klitschko's good enough to dispace #30 on the list - Jerry Quarry.:sigh1:

House of Stone
05-15-2011, 06:49 AM
- He is unbeatable.

... at pleasuring your ass?

The Surgeon
05-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Either Klitschko beats any HW from any era.

Please................! David Haye is gonna knock that Chump into next week when they fight! Beleive that!

Klitchko has fought alot of the top fighters available to him tho, his brother also and imo they rate higher than guys like Sharkey, Ingo, ect but heres another guy i didnt notice get mentioned (why would he, he didnt even win a title) who would have eaten Wlad for breakfast and Vitali for lunch - President Ike Ibeabuchi :boxing:

The Surgeon
05-15-2011, 07:45 AM
Wladimir Klitschko is one of the greatest heavyweights of all time.

- All Time Great and Hall Of Famer

- Most dominant fighter in the world

- Ring Magazine Top 5 P4P Fighter

- IBF/WBO/IBO/RING Unified Heavyweight Champion Of The World

- Rightful WBA Heavyweight Champ

- Olympic Gold Medalist

- 49 KOs in 55 wins

- Has made 16 dominant world title defences

- Has defeated 8 world heavyweight champions:

Chris Byrd x2
Samuel Peter x2
Sultan Ibragimov
Ruslan Chagaev
Lamon Brewster
Hasim Rahman
Francois Botha
Ray Mercer

- Has defeated tons of top contenders:

Eddie Chambers
Tony Thompson
Jameel McCline
Calvin Brock
Monte Barrett
Axel Schulz
Ray Austin
DaVarryl Williamson
Derrick Jefferson
Charles Shufford
Eliseo Castillo
etc...

- Has defeated 8 undefeated fighters:

Ruslan Chagaev
Sultan Ibragimov
Samuel Peter
Calvin Brock
Monte Barrett
Eliseo Castillo
Zoran Vujecic
Najee Shaheed

David Haye will be Wladimir's 50th knockout victim.

Are those fighters lists supposed to impress us? Bum after bum mate. Not Klitchko's vault in fairness as they are all he has to work with but dont show them of as if its a murders row of boxing history for gods sake

bklynboy
05-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Please................! David Haye is gonna knock that Chump into next week when they fight! Beleive that!

Klitchko has fought alot of the top fighters available to him tho, his brother also and imo they rate higher than guys like Sharkey, Ingo, ect but heres another guy i didnt notice get mentioned (why would he, he didnt even win a title) who would have eaten Wlad for breakfast and Vitali for lunch - President Ike Ibeabuchi :boxing:

I'm not a big fan of the Ks as ATG. I think they barely crack the TOP 30 and are not even close to being considered for the TOP 10.

I think that WK will take Haye. This fight should tell us a lot about WK. If Haye comes in willing to fight and exchange, and if WK he can keep Haye away with his jab; absorb some combos and still control the fight THEN we know that WK is a true TOP 30 - and considered for TOP 20.

If Haye punks out and fights outside of WK's reach and is outpointed simply because WK is the aggressor then we, once again, have little to judge WK on *EXCEPT* for the fact that he won rather easily against a top opponent.

Devroy Jones
05-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Johnson and Dempsey are both way too high in my opinion. they didnt beat the best fighters available to them during their reign.

Im especially surprised that Johnson is so high on your list, while Wills is so low...Wills beat many of Johnson's best wins, and when they were more in their prime(Langford, Jeanette, McVea).

I would have Holyfield and Lewis a bit higher, personally.

Jack Johnson is shunned by many boxing fans today, but I truly believe the guy had an incredible amount of skill. Lets have a look at his CV and then continue our argument.......

The guys he beat - Sam McVey, Peter Jackson, Joe Jeanette, Bob Fitzsimmons, Tommy Burns, Jim Jeffries, Stanley Ketchel, Jim Flynn, Frank Moran, Sandy Ferguson, and so on.

Now, the guy aint exactly large when we compare him with today's fighters; but back then, he was a real terror. He had the best defensive skills ever (observed by Nat Fleischer), he had outstanding stamina and was a master at glove-blocking/parrying (which is attributed to the defensive part, I guess). Nevertheless he was the best boxer of his era and he fought in a time when racism and the KKK were prevalent. he fought all odds and beat Jeffries in the first-ever FOTC. And another point worth noting is he fought at a time when the combatants had to last an incredible amount of rounds, and if one didn't KO the other it would be ruled a Draw or even a No Contest. So people should not judge him by his record (which at 73 wins 13 losses and 10 draws is stll impressive).
As for Wills, I have nothing against the Black Panther, but I still think he is outclassed by Johnson in every department. Just think about it, why does no renowned Boxing writer ever include him in the Top 10?

bklynboy
05-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Jack Johnson is shunned by many boxing fans today, but I truly believe the guy had an incredible amount of skill. Lets have a look at his CV and then continue our argument.......

The guys he beat - Sam McVey, Peter Jackson, Joe Jeanette, Bob Fitzsimmons, Tommy Burns, Jim Jeffries, Stanley Ketchel, Jim Flynn, Frank Moran, Sandy Ferguson, and so on.

Now, the guy aint exactly large when we compare him with today's fighters; but back then, he was a real terror. He had the best defensive skills ever (observed by Nat Fleischer), he had outstanding stamina and was a master at glove-blocking/parrying (which is attributed to the defensive part, I guess). Nevertheless he was the best boxer of his era and he fought in a time when racism and the KKK were prevalent. he fought all odds and beat Jeffries in the first-ever FOTC. And another point worth noting is he fought at a time when the combatants had to last an incredible amount of rounds, and if one didn't KO the other it would be ruled a Draw or even a No Contest. So people should not judge him by his record (which at 73 wins 13 losses and 10 draws is stll impressive).
As for Wills, I have nothing against the Black Panther, but I still think he is outclassed by Johnson in every department. Just think about it, why does no renowned Boxing writer ever include him in the Top 10?

The major strike against Wills is that he never had the belt. He fought Langford an insane amount of times and "won" newspaper decisions in most. I put won in quotes because I've read that quite a few of the decisions were not legitimate. I don't know if it's true or not.

JAB5239
05-15-2011, 04:01 PM
The major strike against Wills is that he never had the belt. He fought Langford an insane amount of times and "won" newspaper decisions in most. I put won in quotes because I've read that quite a few of the decisions were not legitimate. I don't know if it's true or not.

Can't blame Wills for not having a belt, he was avoided for years by Dempsey while being the number one contender.

Will went 6-2 against Langford with 14 no decisions where he was given the newspaper decision in most. At that time Langford was half blind though and not the same fighter he once was. Not to detract from Wills wins because Sam was still one of the best heavyweights in the world.

JAB5239
05-15-2011, 04:44 PM
My criteria is something like 65% Head To Head Matchups and 35% Career Statistics.
On an other note - I have no problem with Joe Louis toppling Ali, but you gotta get Lennox out of the top 10 man.
I can also see your argument coming, You ask if i base my list on the criteria above then how can lennox not be worthy of the fifth position? I have my answer ready, Lennox's competition was not exactly crap, but the guy had no better competition than Marciano(which was pretty weak). But then again, you are entitled to your opinion.

I gotta disagree about LL's comp. It wasn't Ali like comp, but I'd rate it better than Rocky's, Holmes, and Liston. His championship wins are more impressive than Dempsey's, Liston's, Tyson's and Johnsons in my opinion. But these are just my opinions.

I disagree with your 65% h2h criteria because you can never be sure of an outcome and there is always a reasonable logic another great fighter could win a fantasy match up. They're fun, but not an accurate description of accomplishment and greatness. Like you though I agree we're both entitled to our opinions.

Scott9945
05-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Vitali's greatest fight was probably the one with Lennox Lewis and he lost that. Lennox said he was not 100% for that fight. That may or may not be true, but that aint the question. The fact is Vitali gave his best but still could not beat a post-prime Lewis. So, Vitali does not feature in my top 30 list.

Wladimir on the other hand is IMO too young to be judged. The crop of opponents he faces are mediocre at best and as i said I base my list 65% on Head to Head matchups. I don't think Wladimir Klitschko's good enough to dispace #30 on the list - Jerry Quarry.:sigh1:

You really think that Jerry Quarry would have beaten Wladimir Klitschko? Believe me, Quarry's face would look like a tomato that fell off a roof after 3 or 4 rounds.

Devroy Jones
05-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Can't blame Wills for not having a belt, he was avoided for years by Dempsey while being the number one contender.

Will went 6-2 against Langford with 14 no decisions where he was given the newspaper decision in most. At that time Langford was half blind though and not the same fighter he once was. Not to detract from Wills wins because Sam was still one of the best heavyweights in the world.

I've always wondered why Jack Dempsey ducked black fighters.Was it because of the beating he took at the hands of Johnson which, to the day he died, he maintained that he had "never been hurt so bad". I mean he turned down the chance to fight Sam Langford, Harry Willis, McVey and not to mention he travelled all the way to New York to fight a "Joe Bonds" only to find out it was actually Joe Jeanette and then refused to fight him. After he mauled Willard he then refused to fight "any negro challenger". So did Dempsey duck the black fighters outright? I can understand refusing to fight Langford, Willies & McVey considering he'd been pro for only two years as well as the fact he sensed that John Reisler was only trying to set up a mismatch. He ducked Jeanette because he thought he'd lose and ruin his Heavyweight title shot and then after becoming champion he just outright refused "any negro" a shot at the title.

I believe Dempsey ducked the black fighters because he knew he'd get defeated and didn't want to lose his title or his chance at a title to a black man.
Dempsey is still one of my favourite fighters, but ducking black fighters is downright inexcusable. I know all champions back then, save Tommy Burns ducked black fighters but I kinda expected better of Dempsey. :thumbsdow

Devroy Jones
05-16-2011, 12:51 PM
You really think that Jerry Quarry would have beaten Wladimir Klitschko? Believe me, Quarry's face would look like a tomato that fell off a roof after 3 or 4 rounds.

Are You referring to the fact that Jerry Quarry was prone to cuts? Thats just nonsensical. Rocky Marciano too was prone to cuts, but he still managed to win all his matches and didn't lose a single one in spite of facing near TKO due to his cuts. Believe me,:439: Jerry Quarry will pummel Klitschko into submission. My best bet Quarry wins by Rd.11 KO

bklynboy
05-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Are You referring to the fact that Jerry Quarry was prone to cuts? Thats just nonsensical. Rocky Marciano too was prone to cuts, but he still managed to win all his matches and didn't lose a single one in spite of facing near TKO due to his cuts. Believe me,:439: Jerry Quarry will pummel Klitschko into submission. My best bet Quarry wins by Rd.11 KO

I think that Quarry would be better than any fighter Wladimir has fought and just behind Lennox Lewis for Vitaly.

That doesn't mean that Quarry would win - I think it would be a very good fight. Quarry would be able to do what Arreola couldn't, and that is bob and weave under the jabs and pummel the body. Quarry would be a real test - namely are the Ks great or only great in comparison to second-rate opponents.

This is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the Haye fight. I don't rate Haye highly but he's the only one out there.

Joeyzagz
05-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Criteria

* Punching Power
* Wins over Quality opponents
* Quality of Era
* Dominance
* Accomplishment

1. Lennox Lewis
2. Max Schmelling
3. Joe Louis
4. Bob Fitzsimmons
5. George Foreman
6. John L Sullivan
7. Max Baer
8. Sonny Liston
9. Mike Tyson
10. Vitali Klitschko
11. Muhammad Ali
12. Harry Wills
13. Gene Tunney
14. Rocky Marciano
15. Jack Dempsey
16. Riddick Bowe
17. Joe Frazier
18. Larry Holmes
19. Jack Johnson
20. Samuel Langford
21. Gentleman Jim Corbett
22. Evander Holyfield
23. Jim Jeffries
24. Oliver Mccall
25. Earnie Shavers
26. David Tua
27. Young Stribling
28. Tommy Morrison
29. Paddy Ryan
30. Frank Bruno

Scott9945
05-16-2011, 04:04 PM

No, I'm saying this because Quarry would be eating a steading diet of hard left jabs and thumping straight rights. Whether he was prone to cuts or not, his face would take a terrible beating. I've seen both men fight live many times, and have no doubt about my prediction. Quarry would face both a style and a severe physical mismatch.

Scott9945
05-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Criteria

* Punching Power
* Quality of Era
* Dominance
* Accomplishment

1. Lennox Lewis
2. Max Schmelling
3. Joe Louis
4. Bob Fitzsimmons
5. George Foreman
6. John L Sullivan
7. Max Baer
8. Sonny Liston
9. Mike Tyson
10. Vitali Klitschko
11. Muhammad Ali
12. Harry Wills
13. Gene Tunney
14. Rocky Marciano
15. Jack Dempsey
16. Riddick Bowe
17. Joe Frazier
18. Larry Holmes
19. Jack Johnson
20. Samuel Langford
22. Evander Holyfield
23. Jim Jeffries
24. Oliver Mccall
25. Earnie Shavers
26. David Tua
27. Young Stribling
28. Tommy Morrison
29. Paddy Ryan
30. Frank Bruno

Well if nothing else I'll give you credit for having an original list. Not at all accurate, but original for sure.

bklynboy
05-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Criteria

* Punching Power
* Quality of Era
* Dominance
* Accomplishment

1. Lennox Lewis
2. Max Schmelling
3. Joe Louis
4. Bob Fitzsimmons
5. George Foreman
6. John L Sullivan
7. Max Baer
8. Sonny Liston
9. Mike Tyson
10. Vitali Klitschko
11. Muhammad Ali
12. Harry Wills
13. Gene Tunney
14. Rocky Marciano
15. Jack Dempsey
16. Riddick Bowe
17. Joe Frazier
18. Larry Holmes
19. Jack Johnson
20. Samuel Langford
22. Evander Holyfield
23. Jim Jeffries
24. Oliver Mccall
25. Earnie Shavers
26. David Tua
27. Young Stribling
28. Tommy Morrison
29. Paddy Ryan
30. Frank Bruno

Oh man. You have to be kidding. :-)

Forget about LL - Max Schmelling at #2 and Max Baer at #7?

How can VK be at #10? He's a likeable guy but all of his opponents, except for LL, have been contenders.

Ernie Shavers, David Tua, Tommy Morrison and Frank Bruno make the list? Would you really put Frank Bruno above Ezzard Charles and Jersey Joe?

joseph5620
05-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Well if nothing else I'll give you credit for having an original list. Not at all accurate, but original for sure.

:lol1::lol1:

Joeyzagz
05-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Oh man. You have to be kidding. :-)

Forget about LL - Max Schmelling at #2 and Max Baer at #7?

-Can you name a better Heavyweight win than Schmelling over a Prime undefeated Joe Louis? Seriously can you?

-Baer was a great heavyweight, and had to tone his game down because he was literally killing guys in the ring.

Ernie Shavers, David Tua, Tommy Morrison and Frank Bruno make the list? Would you really put Frank Bruno above Ezzard Charles and Jersey Joe?

If you were making a straight up P4P skills list then you would be correct. But Heavyweight is about punching power and Bruno, Morrison, Shavers all have insane KO ratios. Walcot and Ezzard have low KO ratios and existed in a weak Heavyweight era.

Scott9945
05-16-2011, 04:59 PM
If you were making a straight up P4P skills list then you would be correct. But Heavyweight is about punching power and Bruno, Morrison, Shavers all have insane KO ratios. Walcot and Ezzard have low KO ratios and existed in a weak Heavyweight era.

All that matters it is winning. After that it is who you have fought. Having power is a short cut to winning, but the KO ratios only indicate a fighter's punching power, not his fighting skills.

bklynboy
05-16-2011, 05:17 PM
-Can you name a better Heavyweight win than Schmelling over a Prime undefeated Joe Louis? Seriously can you?

No. That was up there with Ali-Liston. Truly a great win. But it was avenged. AND you could say that Joe Louis' reign and domination of the fight game far exceeded Schmelling - so shouldn't Louis be above Schmelling?

Baer was a great heavyweight, and had to tone his game down because he was literally killing guys in the ring.

No doubt he had a punch - but then so did Shavers. I read that he lost some heart after killing Frankie Campbell. But then we enter would-coulda-shoulda territory.

Yeah - and Archie Moore isn't on the list and he has a few KOs. I think the list is overweighted with heavy punchers. Bruno, Morrison and Shavers all had punches but, in my opinion, were not that good.

Joeyzagz
05-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Yeah - and Archie Moore isn't on the list and he has a few KOs. I think the list is overweighted with heavy punchers. Bruno, Morrison and Shavers all had punches but, in my opinion, were not that good.
Archie Moore was a Light Heavyweight who never won the crown at HW.

I find it hilarious how you criticize my Heavyweight list for being "overweighted by heavy punchers." Punching Power isnt everything but it should be factored in when speaking on this particular division.

bklynboy
05-16-2011, 06:35 PM

I find it hilarious how you criticize my Heavyweight list for being "overweighted by heavy punchers." Punching Power isnt everything but it should be factored in when speaking on this particular division.

true - I stand corrected on that. But I think Archie Moore would beat Morrison and Bruno.

SBleeder
05-17-2011, 07:15 AM

Sam Langford never won the heavyweight crown either, and was certainly not at his best weight at heavyweight. You've got him at #20.

nullifygirls
05-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Top 5 heavyweight boxers of all time

Ali
Foreman
Lewis
Holmes
Norton or Frazier

House of Stone
05-17-2011, 08:44 AM

-Baer was a great heavyweight, and had to tone his game down because he was literally killing guys in the ring.

are you max schmelling's great grandson or something?? I mean seriously Max Schmelling number 2???????? :lol1: :lol1: Ali number 11???? could you possibly explain that? You have liston 8 and foreman 5 which are not bad listings in themselves but ali stopped both of them Liston twice and yet you rank him below them? not even top ten? lol just lol Baer number 7? dear oh dear you been watching that russel Crowe movie or something? Dig up some archive footage of Tommy loughran schooling him and try to stick by that claim

Barnburner
05-17-2011, 09:06 AM
are you max schmelling's great grandson or something?? I mean seriously Max Schmelling number 2???????? :lol1: :lol1: Ali number 11???? could you possibly explain that? You have liston 8 and foreman 5 which are not bad listings in themselves but ali stopped both of them Liston twice and yet you rank him below them? not even top ten? lol just lol Baer number 7? dear oh dear you been watching that russel Crowe movie or something? Dig up some archive footage of Tommy loughran schooling him and try to stick by that claim
I actually quite like Zags his trolling is all in good spirit :lol1:

P.S - I'll pay you 1million to change your username.

House of Stone
05-17-2011, 09:37 AM
I actually quite like Zags his trolling is all in good spirit :lol1:

P.S - I'll pay you 1million to change your username.

deal! ... ummm how do you change usernames?

Joeyzagz
05-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Sam Langford never won the heavyweight crown either, and was certainly not at his best weight at heavyweight. You've got him at #20.
Sam Langford beat Harry Wills though, who was arguably the best HW of the 1920's. What great Heavyweight did Archie Moore beat? Moore actually had an opportunity to fight for the crown while Langford was barred.

Who did Ali spark that was better than Prime Joe Louis?

Schmelling is the ONLY man to defeat Prime Joe Louis, and the only man to KO Young Stribling in 230 fights. Schmelling had both cunning and punching power and would take almost any heavyweight on their best day... on their own soil!

Devroy Jones
05-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Criteria

* Punching Power
* Quality of Era
* Dominance
* Accomplishment

1. Lennox Lewis
2. Max Schmelling
3. Joe Louis
4. Bob Fitzsimmons
5. George Foreman
6. John L Sullivan
7. Max Baer
8. Sonny Liston
9. Mike Tyson
10. Vitali Klitschko
11. Muhammad Ali
12. Harry Wills
13. Gene Tunney
14. Rocky Marciano
15. Jack Dempsey
16. Riddick Bowe
17. Joe Frazier
18. Larry Holmes
19. Jack Johnson
20. Samuel Langford
22. Evander Holyfield
23. Jim Jeffries
24. Oliver Mccall
25. Earnie Shavers
26. David Tua
27. Young Stribling
28. Tommy Morrison
29. Paddy Ryan
30. Frank Bruno

Boy, You got some list there. I would like to point some gaping holes in your list.:slap:..............

Muhammad Ali - #11???????

According to you, your criteria has:
* Punching Power
* Quality of Era
* Dominance
* Accomplishment

Now You Tell me. Does Ali not satisfy criteria no.2, 3, 4 & 5? As for No.1, Ali still had a decent KO rate which is a direct indication of Punching Power. So how the **** did Ali not feature even in your top 10?

Ron Lyle - where is that guy? u just said u used the aforementioned criteria did u not?

Joe Frazier #17???????? - u sure u didn't confuse the guy with Marvis Frazier? Why is he so low? u mention punching power, quality of opposition, dominance etc. and still Joe's so low?

I could go on and on, but I think its better not to insult an other person's list. I know it hurts.:grumpy: sorry.

Joeyzagz
05-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Boy, You got some list there. I would like to point some gaping holes in your list.:slap:..............

Muhammad Ali - #11???????

According to you, your criteria has:
* Punching Power
* Quality of Era
* Dominance
* Accomplishment

Now You Tell me. Does Ali not satisfy criteria no.2, 3, 4 & 5? As for No.1, Ali still had a decent KO rate which is a direct indication of Punching Power. So how the **** did Ali not feature even in your top 10?

ALi satisfies 2, 3, and 5, I do not give him top marks for dominance.

That honor goes to Foreman who breezed through Ali's two toughest opponents in only 4 rounds.

Devroy Jones
05-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Sam Langford beat Harry Wills though, who was arguably the best HW of the 1920's. What great Heavyweight did Archie Moore beat? Moore actually had an opportunity to fight for the crown while Langford was barred.

Who did Ali spark that was better than Prime Joe Louis?

Schmelling is the ONLY man to defeat Prime Joe Louis, and the only man to KO Young Stribling in 230 fights. Schmelling had both cunning and punching power and would take almost any heavyweight on their best day... on their own soil!

I disagree with u saing Schmeling can beat any HW on their best day.:tragedy: Styles make fights, thought u knew that. George Foreman is going to kill Schmeling in the ring. No, he is also going to dig his grave and lay flowers on him. There just aint no chance in hell that Schmeling could also beat Mike Tyson. Sad but true. (no metallica pun intended)

Scott9945
05-19-2011, 01:32 AM
If you people would stop putting 180 pound white guys like Dempsey,Tunney, and Marciano on the list and stop putting any other fighter who weighed 180 pound on the list you would have a good list. But you darn well that when ever you mention boxing a white guy has to pull Marciano out his ass

Yeah, we all heard that line in "Coming to America" 25 years ago. :Flush: