View Full Version : John Mugabi vs Paul Williams @154

SCtrojansbaby
05-14-2011, 10:17 AM
There would be fireworks but Mugabi would have a lot of trouble getting off as he has virtually no counter punching ability. Paul Williams certainly isnt a hard punch but Mugabi had one of the weakest chins ever

Paul Williams wins via TKO round 4

The_Demon
05-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Mugabi wins by knockout in the mid rounds

talip bin osman
05-14-2011, 10:27 AM
marvin hagler, the former undisputed MW champion, one of the greatest MW champs ever went through hell to beat a very determined john mugabi...

i imagine that version of john mugabi against the very best version of williams and i see the ugandan brutally punishing the 'punisher"...

Rip Chudd
05-14-2011, 10:28 AM
marvin hagler, the former undisputed MW champion, one of the greatest MW champs ever went through hell to beat a very determined john mugabi...

i imagine that version of john mugabi against the very best version of williams and i see the ugandan brutally punishing the 'punisher"...
This^^^^^^^^

SCtrojansbaby
05-14-2011, 10:35 AM

You can't just pick out one fight and say the guy from that fight, that level has to be sustained for more then one fight.

talip bin osman
05-14-2011, 10:48 AM
You can't just pick out one fight and say the guy from that fight, that level has to be sustained for more then one fight.

the pre-norris john mugabi? the one who was sporting 37-2 record with 37 of 'em ending inside the distance? mugabi wins...

against a mugabi post norris, i give williams a much better shot... :)

The_Demon
05-14-2011, 11:01 AM

Williams isnt that good though,should be taken into consideration

SCtrojansbaby
05-14-2011, 11:11 AM

Paul Williams has shown he can take a punch and keep fighting. Mugabi has the ultimate glass jaw.

talip bin osman
05-14-2011, 11:12 AM

williams is quite good but as demonstrated by quintana and martinez, can be outboxed... i see him as a softer version of iran barkley...

talip bin osman
05-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Paul Williams has shown he can take a punch and keep fighting. Mugabi has the ultimate glass jaw.

very few fighters in and around the WW and MW division would still be vertical after getting hit flush on the jaw by mclellan and/or norris who both IMHO are more badass punchers than sergio martnez...

SCtrojansbaby
05-14-2011, 11:21 AM
williams is quite good but as demonstrated by quintana and martinez, can be outboxed... i see him as a softer version of iran barkley...

Barkley was absolutely horrible in every way except for having a power..

P-Will is a much much more talented fighter his size and punch output gives almost anybody problems his only real flaw is that he is very open for counters.

BigStereotype
05-14-2011, 11:22 AM
John Mugabi was nothing special, just a tough guy with a lot of power. But Paul Williams doesn't even bother to defend himself. And he's got a good chin but not solid enough to withstand those bombs. I don't know what round, it could happen at any time, but Mugabi gets in one solid crack and the lights go out in Williamsville.

talip bin osman
05-14-2011, 11:33 AM

P-Will is a much much more talented fighter his size and punch output gives almost anybody problems his only real flaw is that he is very open for counters.

barkley aint that bad... he almost beat a mightily determined roberto duran and twice defeated tommy hearns... i think that is more impressive than beating good old winky wright...

SCtrojansbaby
05-14-2011, 12:51 PM
barkley aint that bad... he almost beat a mightily determined roberto duran and twice defeated tommy hearns... i think that is more impressive than beating good old winky wright...

I have never seen a guy get beat as often and as badly as Barkley used to.

JAB5239
05-14-2011, 03:05 PM

Barkley beat a legend in Tommy Hearns twice. Let me know when Williams does anything close to resembling that.

young_robbed
05-14-2011, 03:09 PM

????? what an awful comment

The_Demon
05-14-2011, 03:19 PM
I have never seen a guy get beat as often and as badly as Barkley used to.

Barkley would beat any MW around right now,with the exception of Martinez

BigStereotype
05-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Barkley would beat any MW around right now,with the exception of Martinez

That would be a hell of a fight!

The_Demon
05-14-2011, 03:23 PM
That would be a hell of a fight!

TS seems too forget that Barkley and Mugabi were around during one of the toughest eras at 154-160,and is simply dismissing them because of their losses

BigStereotype
05-14-2011, 03:25 PM
TS seems too forget that Barkley and Mugabi were around during one of the toughest eras at 154-160,and is simply dismissing them because of their losses

Yeah, that's true. I think his point is that Barkley had absolutely no technique and was just a brawler with killer punching power. This is true. But he's selling Iran short a little.

The_Demon
05-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah, that's true. I think his point is that Barkley had absolutely no technique and was just a brawler with killer punching power. This is true. But he's selling Iran short a little.

I do agree with that,but if thats all Barkley is then what the hell is Williams :lol1:,he may be entertaining but i find him hard too watch,he is so open its not even funny at times

BigStereotype
05-14-2011, 03:29 PM
I do agree with that,but if thats all Barkley is then what the hell is Williams :lol1:,he may be entertaining but i find him hard too watch,he is so open its not even funny at times

He's got some offensive wrinkles but yeah, his defense is unbelievably atrocious.

Scott9945
05-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Mugabi is one of the most overrated fighters of the last 25 years. He never beat one legitimate major contender and lived off his rep for giving a fading Hagler a tough fight. Williams right now may be on the decline, but the one who beat Winky Wright so easily definitely takes care of Mugabi.

physiker
05-16-2011, 06:16 AM
the beast by early ko.
PW is also overrated.