View Full Version : Defensive Technique - THE 'SHELL' ... good or bad?

punchDrUnK MONK
05-12-2011, 10:44 PM
im curious to hear everyones opinion on this defensive style... u can see fighters like winky wright use it... its when ur elbows are very tight blocking the ribs and hands very tight covering your entire fease and temples....

i personally use this defensive style a lottt in the ring, and sometimes it works well for me, and other times people can really take advantage of it...

so what do you guys think of it???
do u use it? do u like when u spar or fight someone who does this?
and why why why, please be detailed with your answers!!!

the shell...
good or bad?

Barn
05-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Since amateur is about scoring points, it's good but, limits your offense.

Chip2006uk
05-13-2011, 08:41 AM
I dont like it because it restricts your vision so much and I hate not seeing where punches are coming from.

Having said that though I use it quite a lot especially when Im on the defensive.

johncods
05-13-2011, 01:51 PM
it's a very effective defense, atlest for me when i'm sparring. But like everyone says it limits your offense.

Uturn
05-13-2011, 03:18 PM
I use a high guard. It is effective but as others said - your offense is limited and you can't parry punches etc, or counter well.

putaloco
05-13-2011, 09:37 PM
i love sparring guys who like to cover up! you think your covered but the side of your head isnt and alot of the time its when its easiest to land my liver shot

blockhar
05-13-2011, 10:41 PM
the shell is good for someone who is strong who is trying to bully their opponent and has a strong body. with your guard so high, it will make you a target for body shots, but on the otherhand you will know the body shot is coming and if you are fast enough can land a nice counter on the side of the head. I also like using the shell, but i do mix it up. on the outside, use more of the philly shell, but in close use the shell and try to do some nice in fighting

Fearless
05-14-2011, 05:58 AM
I dont like it because it restricts your vision so much and I hate not seeing where punches are coming from.

Having said that though I use it quite a lot especially when Im on the defensive.

Funny I see more with this defense, as opposed to the hands up cover.

I feel comfortable using this defense and I feel I can use my foot work more (just habits), I however catch punches alot with my right glove. Yes it really limits your offense.

Chip2006uk
05-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Funny I see more with this defense, as opposed to the hands up cover.

I feel comfortable using this defense and I feel I can use my foot work more (just habits), I however catch punches alot with my right glove. Yes it really limits your offense.

Im the exact opposite, whenever I use that defence my footwork becomes much more static, I almost feel like a statue lol.

LarryXXX
05-14-2011, 11:16 AM
its hard to counter with that style

Be_kind_rewind
05-14-2011, 02:23 PM
don't you have two different defensive positions in the first post. it looks like may weathweather is not using the shell. But the one mayweather uses is the one i prefer because I favor left hooks and i feel comfortable throwing it from that position.

Vitez
05-14-2011, 04:19 PM
isn't this what Haye uses?

frosty-g
05-14-2011, 04:45 PM
the one mayweather is using there- it has it's place, especially for close quarters but relies on fast reactions and faster hands if you intend to counter without getting hit.
most people would be far better off keeping a good stance/close guard- then you shouldn't let any shots slip through, have both hands free and in position for intercepting shots/countering and the hands have less distance to travel for headshots. also, if they leave from head height for your punches and come back to head height (pretty much a horizontal plane) then it is hard to anyone to get a shot in over the top of yours and your shoulder should be covering your chin without too much effort.

cja07007
05-14-2011, 09:14 PM
I think keeping your gaurd high and tight is very effective. the problem is people will get stuck in it alot. sometime you might let people put up flurries and just keep that shell up and not respond with your offense. Its a good thing to keep in mind to avoid.

RurouniYume
05-15-2011, 01:49 PM
as you said, works for some not for others. Its good to be a well-rounded fighter

DeadlyOverhand
05-17-2011, 09:04 AM

Have you tried it yet because I use this defense and it betters by vision compared to the conventional defence. pick up lead shoulder, rear hand and side of face(by temple), elbows tucked by sides of body, and lead arm across belly how does that restrict your vision

DeadlyOverhand
05-17-2011, 09:09 AM
i love sparring guys who like to cover up! you think your covered but the side of your head isnt and alot of the time its when its easiest to land my liver shot

Me to, I was sparring this one dude and he had a really high guard, so I walked him down to the corner and was just tapping his guard with a couple of punches and then BOOM dropped him with my liver shot

Chip2006uk
05-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Have you tried it yet because I use this defense and it betters by vision compared to the conventional defence. pick up lead shoulder, rear hand and side of face(by temple), elbows tucked by sides of body, and lead arm across belly how does that restrict your vision

Thats the philly shell you are talking about, this thread is talking about the defensive shell, shelling up, in other words a high tight guard.

DeadlyOverhand
05-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Thats the philly shell you are talking about, this thread is talking about the defensive shell, shelling up, in other words a high tight guard.

OH!! My bad I read it wrong I just saw Shell and I automaticaly thought Philly Shell.... my apoligies

sevenone
05-17-2011, 04:19 PM
I think keeping your gaurd high and tight is very effective. the problem is people will get stuck in it alot. sometime you might let people put up flurries and just keep that shell up and not respond with your offense. Its a good thing to keep in mind to avoid.

I agree I think it's important to thing of defense in a couple of different ways. How can your feet help you? How can countering help you? and How can simply blocking help you? Furthermore if youre just blocking with no constructive plan of getting yours in, it's not defense but rather just a matter of time.

killsomething
06-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Combine it with forward movement, quick footwork, and reflex punching and it's imo the optimal style for amateur boxing.