View Full Version : Would someone please analyse my very primitive attempt at sparring ?

Grosser611
05-12-2011, 05:55 AM
(Apologies for the use of inappropriate language, do not watch if you are offended by the term f*ck/w*nker/P*ss).

As the title would suggest, I am a beginner with about 5 minutes sparring experience with another person who did karate as a child haha. Basically this is as home made as it gets. Gloves are just basic Adidas 12 ounce. My weight is aprox 88kg and am about 190cm tall and in the black top. Basically what I want to know is what do I need to do differently to be able to dominate my partner ? I realise I only threw 1 left and that his guard was down a lot but was there anything that I really need to do differently ? My nearest boxing center is over 100km away and I'm still a student at the moment so I am unable to get a formal educaion of the sport but anything I'm told I will try and implement :) Thanks in advance guys and once again sorry for the use of language, I couldn't get access to the file to edit myself :|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f59w8_0MR1c

Barn
05-12-2011, 06:21 AM
Watch some youtube videos on proper stance and guard first.

SharpSh00ter
05-12-2011, 07:00 AM
get a gym...

Grosser611
05-12-2011, 09:25 AM
What does that even mean ?!? a 3 word response isn't very helpful mate.

Barn
05-12-2011, 12:58 PM
You haven't even learned basic things, it would be impossible to pick out the abundance of flaws you have presented us with. Videos people upload is want us to help with refining not teaching.

SUPREME.
05-12-2011, 02:14 PM
I refuse to look at a video made in a house. Go to a gym and train like real boxers do.

samoanJ
05-13-2011, 03:13 AM
you need to join a gym and learn some basics or start watching some videos online

$BloodyNate$
05-14-2011, 03:29 AM
haha the only thing that was even remotely legit was the guy in the black kept his hands up a little. Everything else was completely terrible I'm sorry haha. You both kept your chins up way to high and the punches had almost no technique from either man.

If either one of you went to the gym and sparred somebody else you'd probably get knocked out.

Fearless
05-14-2011, 07:08 AM
GO TO A GYM!

Train hard and then Spar there under the watchful eye of experienced fighters and trainers.

bernardotelo
05-14-2011, 11:53 AM
hahahaahahahahah I love to see this kind of videos ! you guys just made my day !

LarryXXX
05-14-2011, 12:06 PM
go to the gym man..they'll teach you everything you need to learn..that was terrible..not trying to be mean man but that was god awful

LarryXXX
05-14-2011, 12:08 PM
haha the only thing that was even remotely legit was the guy in the black kept his hands up a little. Everything else was completely terrible I'm sorry haha. You both kept your chins up way to high and the punches had almost no technique from either man.

If either one of you went to the gym and sparred somebody else you'd probably get knocked out.

probally???????lol

LarryXXX
05-14-2011, 12:09 PM
lmfao at the family dog running it..lol

New England
05-14-2011, 12:16 PM

lol dont scare them away

you are generally not at any risk of being knocked out cleanly at the gym (especially your first time sparring)

if you coach is willing to let you take a beating the first time you get in the ring you're in the wrong gym

you guys need basics
here are the ones that jumped out:
hands up
chin down
breath through your nose and keep your mouth shut
punch at the target (sounds crazy, but most people will waste unbelievable amounts of movement when the try and hit something)

Be_kind_rewind
05-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Most of the answers your going to get are the same , watch youtube videos or go to a gym. It's really not healthy to box with 12 ounce gloves no head gear or no mouthpiece, with no professional assistance.

Grosser611
05-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Good to see most people who commented aren't boxing elitists who already know everything there is to know about the sport and are quite supportive and helpful...oh wait :/

Also to the hero's who said "go to a gym" did you even read the OP ? a 200km ROUND TRIP to my NEAREST gym, thats pretty intelligent advice isn't it...

@ New England - You have BY FAR given the most helpful and welcoming piece of advice and given me exactly what I wanted. I handful of pointers to just think about and attempt to do. I appreciate that you actually took the time to watch the whole thing and didn't just take the elitest road that most other people did and mock me.

@Be Kind Rewind - You also were helpful and at least didn't mock me. I had a mouthpiece in, it was clear which is probly why you were unable to see it :)

@Larryx2000 - I never claimed that it would be any good at all, how could you expect it to be with no previous formal training? Your initial comment was to no use of me. Nor was your second one. Your third one I will agree with, the dog running in was pretty funny haha.

@ Supreme - You are obviously a hero then. I'd like to find something you didn't know much about and then ridicule you about it as I schooled you at it. Then I could feel big like you.

@Natedatpkid - Thanks for the backhanded compliment haha I'll take it as a positive :) And thanks for the additional advice regarding the chin height.

@bernadotelo - Glad I could make your day. I hope you mean that in a positive way, I doubt it but I'll just hope so anyway.

RurouniYume
05-15-2011, 02:34 PM
slow, unrealistic. You need real training

samoanJ
05-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Good to see most people who commented aren't boxing elitists who already know everything there is to know about the sport and are quite supportive and helpful...oh wait :/

Also to the hero's who said "go to a gym" did you even read the OP ? a 200km ROUND TRIP to my NEAREST gym, thats pretty intelligent advice isn't it...

@ New England - You have BY FAR given the most helpful and welcoming piece of advice and given me exactly what I wanted. I handful of pointers to just think about and attempt to do. I appreciate that you actually took the time to watch the whole thing and didn't just take the elitest road that most other people did and mock me.

@Be Kind Rewind - You also were helpful and at least didn't mock me. I had a mouthpiece in, it was clear which is probly why you were unable to see it :)

@Larryx2000 - I never claimed that it would be any good at all, how could you expect it to be with no previous formal training? Your initial comment was to no use of me. Nor was your second one. Your third one I will agree with, the dog running in was pretty funny haha.

@ Supreme - You are obviously a hero then. I'd like to find something you didn't know much about and then ridicule you about it as I schooled you at it. Then I could feel big like you.

@Natedatpkid - Thanks for the backhanded compliment haha I'll take it as a positive :) And thanks for the additional advice regarding the chin height.

@bernadotelo - Glad I could make your day. I hope you mean that in a positive way, I doubt it but I'll just hope so anyway.

we DID read the op.. we told you to go to a gym because we were basically telling you that you cant learn on your own. you need real people helping you, not putting up a ridiculous video and asking for our help.

mehoe
05-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Check out expertboxing.com they might have some pointers on the basics for you to try and emulate. If not youtube the Title Training Video series.

any craic lad?
05-19-2011, 12:38 PM

If you can't get to a gym why are you asking people to give opinions on your performance?

Spartacus Sully
05-19-2011, 12:48 PM
If you can't get to a gym why are you asking people to give opinions on your performance?

to get better? is that a trick question of something? seems pretty duh to me...

any craic lad?
05-19-2011, 01:00 PM
to get better? is that a trick question of something? seems pretty duh to me...

The TS has stated he cant get to a gym but is still asking our opinions on his performance but if cant get to a gym how can he improve is what im saying.You need a boxing trainer there watching you to make sure you dont get into any bad habits

Spartacus Sully
05-19-2011, 01:40 PM
The TS has stated he cant get to a gym but is still asking our opinions on his performance but if cant get to a gym how can he improve is what im saying.You need a boxing trainer there watching you to make sure you dont get into any bad habits

he obviously has a camcorder, or atleast access to one and and people to spar.

he can watch him self and test out what he practices.

i doubt practicing things like chin down hands up and breathing through his nose is going create bad habits and he can clearly watch himself back and see if hes doing that.

any craic lad?
05-19-2011, 02:32 PM
he obviously has a camcorder, or atleast access to one and and people to spar.

he can watch him self and test out what he practices.

i doubt practicing things like chin down hands up and breathing through his nose is going create bad habits and he can clearly watch himself back and see if hes doing that.

How do i know how much the TS wants to learn if that's all he want's the basic's then that's fair enough he can learn the basic's but i taught he might want to learn more then the basic's in which case he would have to go to the gym that's all im saying

Spartacus Sully
05-19-2011, 03:53 PM
How do i know how much the TS wants to learn if that's all he want's the basic's then that's fair enough he can learn the basic's but i taught he might want to learn more then the basic's in which case he would have to go to the gym that's all im saying

all im saying is the basics are going to make him better and its information he can get from posting his video on a boxing forum.

Amazinger
05-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Don't mind some expert in here....But like most people said go to a gym. and there you can take some basic pointers...I would not recommend sparring right away with you after seeing the video.

But here's some basics exercise you can do. assuming you are right handed.
If your a right handed your left foot should be forwards and more of weight on it.or ahead of your right foot .

do this practice for a week (like wax in wax out) get some tennis balls. and try to toss it with your left in to a drawer or something.but with a jabbing motion.

that's it for now....you can't learn them all in a session...