View Full Version : Favourite time period

Daddy T
05-12-2011, 04:40 AM
If you could have been around for any decade in boxing history what would you pick?

for me it would probably be the 70s just for the ali, foreman, frazier showdowns ... though I wouldn't mind having ringside seats when the fab fours were doing the business

Barn
05-12-2011, 05:52 AM
Tough question, either the 50's or the 80's.

MW boxing was amazing during the 50's with SRR, Basilio, LaMotta, Fullmer, Olsen, Graziano, Zale, all fighting each other in some true classics.

Daddy T
05-12-2011, 06:12 AM
Tough question, either the 50's or the 80's.

MW boxing was amazing during the 50's with SRR, Basilio, LaMotta, Fullmer, Olsen, Graziano, Zale, all fighting each other in some true classics.

Following the career of a prime SRR would be mad

Barn
05-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Following the career of a prime SRR would be mad
That was the 40's though :(

Wild Blue Yonda
05-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Would have to say the 70's.

There was so much more to it than the Heavyweights. Benvenuti, Napoles, Duran, Benitez (my favourite of the period), Monzon, the emergence of Leonard...it was a beautiful age for the sweet science.

Daddy T
05-12-2011, 06:47 AM
That was the 40's though :(

we'll have to take two decades rather than one ... also imagine checking out some of those reallyu old fights that we can only see in grainy stop start black and white in the flesh back when boxing was the undisputed king of sports ... dempsey firpo - johnson jeffries -

Barn
05-12-2011, 06:48 AM
we'll have to take two decades rather than one ... also imagine checking out some of those reallyu old fights that we can only see in grainy stop start black and white in the flesh back when boxing was the undisputed king of sports ... dempsey firpo - johnson jeffries -
I would a huge sum of money to watch any Greb fights.

Terry A
05-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I fell in lve with boxing in 1971 w/ Ali vs Frazier. It became like an obsession after that. I got all the boxing mags & books I could & started boxing amateur in the 178 lb division. My favorite 10 year period was probably 1973-1983, but the 1970's -1980's were sure fun times for me.

Also liked the 1950's & 1940's a bunch. Great, great champions in that time frame.

physiker
05-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Probably the 70's. Given that Ali vs Foreman and vs Frazier III are perhaps my fave fights. Sad though that the 3 years (late 60's) we didn't have of Ali likely would have been his best. Still fleet of foot, while getting more powerful punches.

Honorable mention to the 40's. That that was when SRR was best as an unbeatable WW, and sadly there are few films extant of his fights or parts thereof. He was faster as a WW with his punches!

JAB5239
05-12-2011, 03:04 PM
The roaring 20's!!

Greb, Walker, dempsey, Tunney, Flowers, B. Leonard, Wills, Langford, and that doesn't even include all the great contenders!!

Fascinating era!

joseph5620
05-12-2011, 04:05 PM
If you could have been around for any decade in boxing history what would you pick?

for me it would probably be the 70s just for the ali, foreman, frazier showdowns ... though I wouldn't mind having ringside seats when the fab fours were doing the business

For me it would be the 70's. Ali, Duran, Foster, Monzon, Foreman, Zarate, and many other fighters I wish I could have watched live in their primes.

cja07007
05-12-2011, 10:42 PM
I got to go with the 80's on this one although I would have loved to see prime Frazier fight in person.

Marchegiano
05-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Either the Marciano era or the 1890's Fitzsimmons, Sullivan, Burke...tough as ****.

fitefanSHO
05-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Starting with Leonard-Hearns I in 1981 & finishing w/ Foreman's KO over Moorer in 1994.

81-94

So many great fights and fighters in that period, my favorite.

qari
05-15-2011, 08:08 AM
90's Naseem,Tyson,Lewis,Morales,Barrera,Mayweather,Holy field,Bowe,De La Hoya,Mosley,Trinidad,Vargas,Roy Jones,Hopkins,Pernell Whitaker,Hector Camacho,Julio Cesar Chavez,Marquez,Diego Corrales and many more...

The Surgeon
05-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Tough call! Imma say the 70's tho, The heavyweights alone make it a good pick but there were so many great little guys at that time too

Way back in the day, with Dempsey and the likes it seems as if boxing was King and the crowds really turned out which makes me think id like to have been there when EVERYONE was a fan and u werent the only guy in ur town who knew the difference between a check hook and a cross! But then id get pissed off with the HW champ not defending for years at a time

$BloodyNate$
05-15-2011, 09:02 AM
90's Naseem,Tyson,Lewis,Morales,Barrera,Mayweather,Holy field,Bowe,De La Hoya,Mosley,Trinidad,Vargas,Roy Jones,Hopkins,Pernell Whitaker,Hector Camacho,Julio Cesar Chavez,Marquez,Diego Corrales and many more...

Bingo. Thats exactly what I would pick. If only I was a fan 15 years earlier haha.

The Heavyweight division was exciting as hell with the Bowe-Holyfield triology, you had Tyson in the early 90's just a straight beast, Holyfield-Tyson, Foreman's upset of Moore, even the Buster Douglas upset!

You had prime Roy Jones & James Toney running the middleweight divisions and the great rising of Hopkins!

Pernell Whitaker, Felix Trinidad, Oscar, Chavez, Taylor, Ward and Gatti running around the lightweight & welterweight divisions, not to mention we got the see the last fights of Duran, Hearns, and Leonard!

SCtrojansbaby
05-15-2011, 01:03 PM
How can anybody not say 2000-2005??????????????

The greatest fight of all time Castillo vs Corrales
The greatest trilogy of all time Barrera vs Morales
The 2nd greatest trilogy of all time Gatti vs Ward
DLH vs Mosley 1 & 2
Vargas vs Trinidad
Toney vs Jirov
Pacquiao vs Morales Marquez and Barrera
Barrera vs Hamed
Tapia vs Ayala 1 & 2
Marques vs Mark Johnson and Tim Austin
Lennox Lewis vs Vitali Klitschko
Forrest vs Mosley 1 & 2

Ziggy Stardust
05-15-2011, 01:17 PM
How can anybody not say 2000-2005??????????????

Easy. Most posters in this section don't nuthug that era the way YOU do :jerk0ff9:

The greatest fight of all time Castillo vs Corrales

Most people around here could list AT LEAST a dozen better.

The greatest trilogy of all time Barrera vs Morales

Ever heard of Ali - Frazier?

The 2nd greatest trilogy of all time Gatti vs Ward

Ever heard of Duran - DeJesus?

Poet

SCtrojansbaby
05-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Easy. Most posters in this section don't nuthug that era the way YOU do :jerk0ff9:

Most people around here could list AT LEAST a dozen better.

Ever heard of Ali - Frazier?

Ever heard of Duran - DeJesus?

Poet

The trilogies I named ALL 3 fights were competitive that is why they are the greatest. Duran vs Dejesus 3 was one sided so was Ali vs Frazier 2.

Oh and NO ONE agrees with you that there are "at least a dozen fights better then Castillo Corrales" are you retarded?

Ziggy Stardust
05-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Oh and NO ONE agrees with you that there are "at least a dozen fights better then Castillo Corrales" are you retarded?

Have you asked them? No, you haven't, since that post's been up for 15 minutes max and you haven't had time to ask anyone so spare us the "no one agrees" when quite frankly you pulled that out of your azz.....like you do with most of your idiotic statements :jerk0ff9:

Poet

SCtrojansbaby
05-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Crawl back in to your hole you're making a fool of yourself

Ziggy Stardust
05-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Crawl back in to your hole you're making a fool of yourself

Says the child who's currently getting owned by JAB and New England?

Seriously dude. Why do you even bother coming into the History Section anyway? All you wind up doing is getting pwned by posters FAR more knowledgable than yourself. You pull things out of your azz and end up exposed for the ignorant fvck that you are. The only one making a fool out of themselves is YOU :hahahaha9:

Poet

SCtrojansbaby
05-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Says the child who's currently getting owned by JAB and New England?

Seriously dude. Why do you even bother coming into the History Section anyway? All you wind up doing is getting pwned by posters FAR more knowledgable than yourself. You pull things out of your azz and end up exposed for the ignorant fvck that you are. The only one making a fool out of themselves is YOU :hahahaha9:

Poet

LOL yeah says the guy who doesn't know the difference between 140 and 147.

Ziggy Stardust
05-15-2011, 02:13 PM
LOL yeah says the guy who doesn't know the difference between 140 and 147.

I know the difference between a real weight-class and a bogus one.....apparently you do not :geek9:

Poet

SCtrojansbaby
05-15-2011, 03:29 PM
I know the difference between a real weight-class and a bogus one.....apparently you do not :geek9:

Poet

Yeah its bogus because you say it is right? The 140 division has only been around for 50 years. Were you even alive during the original 8 weight classes

JAB5239
05-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Yeah its bogus because you say it is right? The 140 division has only been around for 50 years. Were you even alive during the original 8 weight classes

The junior welterweight division has been around for at least 85 years. Fir much of that time it was not looked at as a legitimate weight class which is why Barney Ross was often looked past as a 3 division champion.