View Full Version : Nostalgia

Devroy Jones
05-12-2011, 02:35 AM
I have followed this forum from 2003. 80% of whatever i know about boxing has come from this website. I find it saddening that my favourite posters back then aint so active anymore. Dempsey 1919, Yogi, Suzie Q, cple, Sabbath, Rockymarcianofan_00, Da Iceman, Yaman, Kid Achilles, London Ring Rules, Brassangel, tommy_hearns just to name a few.
Now i want to pay a special tribute to the guys who made me so knowledgeable about boxing. All the visitors of the boxing history forums, contribute to this thread and tell us who are/were the most knowledgeable posters ever?

Barn
05-12-2011, 03:55 AM
Of All time

As you can see from my join date, I'm going purely on looking back at past threads:
Yogi
Kid Achilles
BennyST(Don't know if he has stopped posting or not?)

Suzie Q posts on ESB now I think.

To be honest this is a pretty solid boxingscene era at the moment, numerous good posters hard to narrow it down to 5ish.

Devroy Jones
05-12-2011, 11:52 AM
But you cannot compare the posters of 2011 with the posters of 2004. Hell, i'll be glad to have any one of them's email iD so that i can thank them for teaching me a thing or two.

Barn
05-12-2011, 12:32 PM
But you cannot compare the posters of 2011 with the posters of 2004. Hell, i'll be glad to have any one of them's email iD so that i can thank them for teaching me a thing or two.

:crying:

:lurk:

J/k.

JAB5239
05-12-2011, 02:57 PM
I have followed this forum from 2003. 80% of whatever i know about boxing has come from this website. I find it saddening that my favourite posters back then aint so active anymore. Dempsey 1919, Yogi, Suzie Q, cple, Sabbath, Rockymarcianofan_00, Da Iceman, Yaman, Kid Achilles, London Ring Rules, Brassangel, tommy_hearns just to name a few.
Now i want to pay a special tribute to the guys who made me so knowledgeable about boxing. All the visitors of the boxing history forums, contribute to this thread and tell us who are/were the most knowledgeable posters ever?

All fine posters. Here are some more. My apologies if I've missed anyone as I've just gone from my friends list. BennySt, Rooster, Silva, Scott9945, Joseph5620, BattlingNelson, BigStereoType, Anthony352, Bright-eyes, crold,Darkterror, Ezzardfan, GJC, greatest1942, JM, Kid McCoy, Mickey Malone, NChristo, Obamam Poet, Reedickylus, Sjhadyfizzle, Tengoshi, Smokin'J, Southpaw16, T-97, Tbear, TerryA, The ironman, ThegreatA, Them Apples, Warp.

I've seen a lot of posters come and go. Some have been banned, some have changed their names.Many were annoyed by the trolls, and some may have left because of the way the board is moderated. All and all though there really hasn't been a significant drop off in board traffic. It has its highs and lows depending in what there is to discuss.

Barn
05-12-2011, 05:30 PM
All fine posters. Here are some more. My apologies if I've missed anyone as I've just gone from my friends list. BennySt, Rooster, Silva, Scott9945, Joseph5620, BattlingNelson, BigStereoType, Anthony352, Bright-eyes, crold,Darkterror, Ezzardfan, GJC, greatest1942, JM, Kid McCoy, Mickey Malone, NChristo, Obamam Poet, Reedickylus, Sjhadyfizzle, Tengoshi, Smokin'J, Southpaw16, T-97, Tbear, TerryA, The ironman, ThegreatA, Them Apples, Warp.

I've seen a lot of posters come and go. Some have been banned, some have changed their names.Many were annoyed by the trolls, and some may have left because of the way the board is moderated. All and all though there really hasn't been a significant drop off in board traffic. It has its highs and lows depending in what there is to discuss.
Kid McCoy and Greatest1942 just disappeared.

JAB5239
05-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Kid McCoy and Greatest1942 just disappeared.

Kid McCoy pops in every now and again to take Sonnyboy to task on some aspect of boxing history. Now that Sonny is gone though Kid may have lost his favorite kickball!

Barn
05-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Kid McCoy pops in every now and again to take Sonnyboy to task on some aspect of boxing history. Now that Sonny is gone though Kid may have lost his favorite kickball!
Haha, I noticed you firing intelligence Sonny's way over at ESB and he still didn't understand the concept of Langford > Pep in resume.

JAB5239
05-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Haha, I noticed you firing intelligence Sonny's way over at ESB and he still didn't understand the concept of Langford > Pep in resume.

What can you do? You know the old saying, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink, right? That is Sonny in a nutshell.

Greatest1942 hasn't even logged on in almost a year and a half. Makes me worry something may have happened to him. I've lost 4 or 5 e-friends over the years who I considered not only knowledgeable of the sport, but gentlemen as well. Shame.

Barn
05-12-2011, 05:50 PM
I was worried the same, also Great John L he stopped posting aburptly.

JAB5239
05-12-2011, 06:02 PM
I was worried the same, also Great John L he stopped posting aburptly.

Didn't I just see him posting the other day? Maybe I saw his name had been in here or maybe I was going through some old posts, not sure.

Perfect Plex
05-12-2011, 06:26 PM

What ever happened to him Jab? Did you ban him or something?

JAB5239
05-12-2011, 07:34 PM
What ever happened to him Jab? Did you ban him or something?

Unless he's posting under a new alt Im unaware of than he is finished here. It was bad enough having to listen to him taunt and insult on here, but he was also doing it through PM's. He's not very good with differing opinions or being proven wrong. All anyone has to do is find some of his old debates with myself, Scott, Joseph, Mickey, Kid McCoy, TheGreatA and others for proof. He's not making friends at his new forum either.

IMDAZED
05-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Shout out to jabsrstiff. I rarely see him post but is one of the most knowledgeable guys I know. And great insight into matchups. I joined this site years ago but didn't begin posting until much much later so I'm not familiar with the names the TS is mentioning but other knowledgeable posters I had a few good scraps with (that I don't see post as much) were The Great A and Clegg. Two guys who really stood out and had a wealth of knowledge.

Devroy Jones
05-13-2011, 04:32 AM
Amen. Jab is one of the names i missed out on. all the other names you guys mentioned, quite frankly - i dont know them.

DeepSleep
05-13-2011, 04:39 AM
Unless he's posting under a new alt Im unaware of than he is finished here. It was bad enough having to listen to him taunt and insult on here, but he was also doing it through PM's. He's not very good with differing opinions or being proven wrong. All anyone has to do is find some of his old debates with myself, Scott, Joseph, Mickey, Kid McCoy, TheGreatA and others for proof. He's not making friends at his new forum either.

I didn't always agree with Sonnyboy but I will admit I liked having him on here because he often clashed with what everyone else would conclude. It's nice to have someone to be the devil's advocate and stir up some good discussions.

talip bin osman
05-16-2011, 07:05 PM
i think JAB and poet are probably the last two oldskool greats remaining that still contributes regularly in this section...

i hav not seen their fellow greats like wmute, bennyST and mickey malone post in this section for a loooong time...

Barn
05-16-2011, 07:44 PM
i think JAB and poet are probably the last two oldskool greats remaining that still contributes regularly in this section...

i hav not seen their fellow greats like wmute, bennyST and mickey malone post in this section for a loooong time...
Mickey still pops in occasionally, BennyST always arrives unexpectedly with a huge humorous but, immensely insightful essay.

NChristo
05-16-2011, 09:29 PM

Benny was in the Lionel Rose thread a few days ago.

Anthony342
05-17-2011, 02:28 AM
Jab5239
Barnburner
Poet
NChristo
Natedatpkid (interesting, often entertaining posts, he's also great in the MMA section IMO)