View Full Version : Jack Johnson vs Jim Flynn

*OG Wenger*
05-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Jack Johnson wins.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................v ia police interference.

I just watched this fight and found this shocking. The sheriff gets in the ring and stops the fight because they didn't want the world to see a black guy beating up a white guy.

I also watched the Johnson-Burns fight where they edited the last bit of tape so you don't see Johnson KO Burns. Its wierd when you see how backwards people were back then.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rFWA5xjJ0-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ItoXRKVKsKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CarlosG815
05-11-2011, 08:31 PM
It's disgusting.

JAB5239
05-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Jack Johnson wins.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................v ia police interference.

I just watched this fight and found this shocking. The sheriff gets in the ring and stops the fight because they didn't want the world to see a black guy beating up a white guy.

There was more to it than that. I believe this fight was stopped because the referee had repeatedly told Flynn not to use his head (which is clearly visible) and his continued racial taunts. The fight being stopped had more to do with Flynn disgracing himself than Johnson beating up on a white man.

As far as the Burns fight goes...it was edited so as to not cause anymore riots.

I do agree the way people thought back then was twisted compared to our own way of thinking today though.

New England
05-11-2011, 10:14 PM
aside from a few traits mostly stemming from the nature of the rules, johnson's style is incredibly modern

i've never seen him with such high quality film

it looks like it's perhaps remastered 16 mm?

and i know i'm going to catch **** for this
but bomb away, i'm calling it like i see it

jim flynn is a highly deficient fighter

he didn't have a prayer
he would have been hard pressed to win that fight with a baseball bat

bklynboy
05-11-2011, 10:59 PM
aside from a few traits mostly stemming from the nature of the rules, johnson's style is incredibly modern

i've never seen him with such high quality film

it looks like it's perhaps remastered 16 mm?

jim flynn is a highly deficient fighter

he didn't have a prayer
he would have been hard pressed to win that fight with a baseball bat

I don't think there is any argument about this. He was a contender. Good enough to fight for the championship at his prime and then he became a name - like McCline was to Arreola before his VK fight.

This isn't taking anything away from Flynn - but was he ever thought of as a "great" fighter? Yes, he KOed Dempsey in the first round the first time they fought and if that fight was legitimate then you have to give Flynn a lot more credit.

I spent a few minutes at BoxRec. Flynn fought and:

lost to Tommy Burns (1907) - he's 28 years old at this point
lost to George Gardner (1907)
lost to Jack Johnson (1908)
splits with Billy Papke (1909) who's a good but not ATG middleweight
fights three times with Sam Langford (1909-1910) winning one by decision
lost to Jack Johnson (1912)

and is now 33 - way past his prime. He then loses a ton of fights over the next 10+ years.

He wasn't a bum by any stretch of the imagination but I've never thought of him as being in the same class as Jack Johnson.

Ziggy Stardust
05-11-2011, 11:11 PM

You ain't gonna catch it from me! I have Johnson ranked 3rd all-time at Heavyweight.....I believe he was THAT good.

Poet

House of Stone
05-12-2011, 05:55 AM

I also watched the Johnson-Burns fight where they edited the last bit of tape so you don't see Johnson KO Burns. Its wierd when you see how backwards people were back then.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rFWA5xjJ0-4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ItoXRKVKsKc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hah! johnson completely dominates those guys I swear I can see him laughing as he plays with them, he was miles ahead of his time in more ways than one. I reckon that fight was stopped as a disqualification though that headbutting was ridiculous.

Barn
05-12-2011, 05:58 AM
hah! johnson completely dominates those guys I swear I can see him laughing as he plays with them, he was miles ahead of his time in more ways than one. I reckon that fight was stopped as a disqualification though that headbutting was ridiculous.
Johnson was brilliant.

"I'm black they never let me forget it. I'm black I won't let them forget it."

New England
05-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Those shots from his head made Tim Bradley look like a kitten
and Andre ward look like a saint

*OG Wenger*
05-12-2011, 09:22 AM
I have seen a few of Jack Johnson's fights and he is always huge compared to his opponent. So i was shocked to learn recently that he is only 6"1!

6"1 is a midget in todays heavyweight division. Most the pre-war heavyweights would be middleweights today.

Boxing really was a brutal and dangerous sport back then and makes todays boxers look like p*ssys.

bklynboy
05-12-2011, 10:07 AM
I have seen a few of Jack Johnson's fights and he is always huge compared to his opponent. So i was shocked to learn recently that he is only 6"1!

6"1 is a midget in todays heavyweight division. Most the pre-war heavyweights would be middleweights today.

Boxing really was a brutal and dangerous sport back then and makes todays boxers look like p*ssys.

How well would midgets like
Mike Tyson (5'10")
Ernie Shavers (6'0")
Joe Frazier (5'11")

would do against Arreola, Adamek, Haye, WK and VK?

Didn't Tyson smoke guys 5 and 6 inches taller than him?

And yes middleweights fought heavys back then. As far as Jim Flynn he was 5'10", the same height as Mike Tyson.

*OG Wenger*
05-12-2011, 10:24 AM
How well would midgets like
Mike Tyson (5'10")
Ernie Shavers (6'0")
Joe Frazier (5'11")

would do against Arreola, Adamek, Haye, WK and VK?

Didn't Tyson smoke guys 5 and 6 inches taller than him?

And yes middleweights fought heavys back then. As far as Jim Flynn he was 5'10", the same height as Mike Tyson.

I'm talking pre-war heavyweights. Boxing was a different sport in Tyson's era.

Wasn't Tommy Burns the smallest ever heavyweight champion at 5"7? How do you think he would fare in todays heavyweight division?

Thats why i hate people comparing fighters from different era's. You can't really compare any pre-war and post-war fighters as like i mentioned the sport was vastly different back then.

bklynboy
05-12-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm talking pre-war heavyweights. Boxing was a different sport in Tyson's era.

Wasn't Tommy Burns the smallest ever heavyweight champion at 5"7? How do you think he would fare in todays heavyweight division?

Thats why i hate people comparing fighters from different era's. You can't really compare any pre-war and post-war fighters as like i mentioned the sport was vastly different back then.

OK - good point. I just read what you wrote as: 6-1 equals midget therefore they can't compete with today's big men.

I don't think Burns would have a chance in hell. Boxing has changed so much that, like you, I find it hard to compare fighters from pre-WWI with those afterwards. Fights went from being illegal to legal; judges not newspaper accounts were used; went away from fight-until-KOed 45 round fights to 15 round fights; neutral corner rule started being implemented; refs actually started inforcing no butting, gouging, wrestling rules. (Yeah there were numerous exceptions like the Max Baer - Carnera wrestling match.)

There are some pre-WWI giants that ought to be included but I feel that the game has changed so much that 1920 is my cutoff.