View Full Version : Defense Against A Flurry Of Punches

incessanity
05-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Hi, I'm New To This Forum, and im sure that this has been covered many times before, but i cannot seem to find it anywhere so sorry. Also I would like a responses to my own problem.

So here it is:
How do you defend from a flurry of straight punches ? Preferably methods in the Ring or in the street if you have any?

Thankyou

Barn
05-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Pivot and block..............

Cuban Boxing
05-09-2011, 10:48 AM
block it wid ur face....

TouchyAndalou
05-09-2011, 10:51 AM
The best defence against a flurry of punches is to run quickly and dive through the nearest set of ropes. Then, when you land outside the ring, lay on the ground in the foetal position and cover your head with your hands, whilst making loud sobbing noises. At this stage your opponent will almost certainly have stopped throwing punches and will just be standing there staring at you, which gives you the opportunity to climb back in the ring, reset, and start again.

Good luck!

physiker
05-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi, I'm New To This Forum, and im sure that this has been covered many times before, but i cannot seem to find it anywhere so sorry. Also I would like a responses to my own problem.

So here it is:
How do you defend from a flurry of straight punches ? Preferably methods in the Ring or in the street if you have any?

Thankyou

Watch Watson vs Benn-youtube.

Learn what Wason did for a few rounds against the bombs from Benn.

mr.thraz
05-09-2011, 02:49 PM
the hard way:
move you head, change levels, move you feet and fire back.

the easy way:
fire the left hook.

for the easy way see jones-griffin1 or byrd-gotta

physiker
05-09-2011, 03:39 PM

So here it is:

Thankyou

And don't forget when your opponent has only offense on his mind, is when he may be open for the KO himself. But block, slip what's coming at you.

Unless you have a LaMotta chin, don't exchange at least not early in your career. And your opponent may also tire out as did Benn vs Watson. One of the greatest examples of weathering the storm from a great bomber and then KOing him!

And welcome to this forum. I am sad that the low life here just insulted you instead of welcoming you. They may be kidding in part, but it's poor behavior which is all too prevalent here.

Good luck with your boxing.

incessanity
05-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Well thankyou for your replies Barnburner, Mr.Thraz and Physiker with great methods and explanations. I will try to put all these things into action when i get in the ring :)

A Special Thanks to Physiker for the Welcome to the forum, and again I am sorry to the people, who i may have irritated, with my question, i didnt mean to by any means.

I thought this was a great place, when i had seen all the great knowledge amongst all the people here, shown indefintely here.

- Thankyou

TheHolyCross
05-09-2011, 05:36 PM
quickly moving back is the best way
or quickly intercept with a straight or cuffing hook

war cry
05-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Movement.

Step off the line, change angle and loose off some of your own.

Rolaz
05-10-2011, 01:23 AM
When Angelo Dundee was asked how to stop the deadly flurries of Mike Tyson(in his prime), Dundee simply said: "...better get a Gun!"

Now a days you can see a lot of Boxers who barks like a scared dog!

In actual fight they back-tracked, scared to get hurt or suffer serious physical injury...

..David..
05-10-2011, 03:15 AM
haha the thing its that u shouldnt be in the middle of a flurry of punches to begin with... try to work on rythm if u can keep a fight in your rythm and disturbing your opponent you shouldnt be caught up in a flurry of punches.

normally this happens when a guy gets tired and just starts covering up or gets hurt and he is gettin finished...

If you are just punch shy or got attacked with a flurry and didnt do anything well... my first tought of defense would be to stepforward to him and clinch this looks bad but believe me u want to learn to use it... if not u are gonna be in trouble

coghaugen
05-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Watch Nigel Benn's defense against Chris Eubank in their 2nd fight - slip, roll and weave.

Regarding Watson blocking Benn's punches - Benn didn't throw any straight flurries in that fight, they were wide and wild.

physiker
05-10-2011, 05:06 AM
You're welcome, TSer.

Benn threw many straight punches at Eubank, as well as many hooks.
If you want to see slipping and dodging punches watch any of Pernell Whitaker's fights. Say against Chavez and De LaHoya--he got robbed against one or both of them. See Whitaker dodge 4 or 5 punch combos, including some striight punches from Oscar. Need great reflexes and good peripheral vision, etc to do this. But you can work on it. Also not likely who you will be sparring with will have the offense of an ATG pro.

The last and maybe best thing to work on is circular movement which can keep you from ever getting swarmed in the first place. Here, few of the pros do this. They don't train for it. Just watch Ali's fights in his prime. See against Karl Mildenberger e.g. This is probably both the best and the hardest thing to do. The "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" means dance around your opponent so that he can never swarm you or get to you, and the sting you know. That is the holy grail perhaps of boxing. Be unable to be hit, while you can hit your opponent. Other things (blocking, slipping, countering) I aleady cited in my other posts, should come first though. The circular "dancing" is advanced unless you aleady are a good dancer.

Good luck again.

physiker
05-10-2011, 05:06 AM
You're welcome, TSer.

Benn threw many straight punches at Watson, as well as many hooks.
If you want to see slipping and dodging punches watch any of Pernell Whitaker's fights. Say against Chavez and De LaHoya--he got robbed against one or both of them. See Whitaker dodge 4 or 5 punch combos, including some straight punches from Oscar. Need great reflexes and good peripheral vision, etc to do this. But you can work on it. Also not likely who you will be sparring with will have the offense of an ATG pro. Remember just the slightest head movement, if you don't freeze, and you will avoid being hit properly.

The last and maybe best thing to work on is circular movement which can keep you from ever getting swarmed in the first place. Here, few of the pros do this. They don't train for it. Just watch Ali's fights in his prime. See against Karl Mildenberger e.g. This is probably both the best and the hardest thing to do. The "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" means dance around your opponent so that he can never swarm you or get to you, and the sting you know. That is the holy grail perhaps of boxing. Be unable to be hit, while you can hit your opponent. Other things (blocking, slipping, countering) I aleady cited in my other posts, should come first though. The circular "dancing" is advanced unless you aleady are a good dancer.

Good luck again.

boxingsmash69
05-10-2011, 07:03 AM
I've found that whenever I'm getting flurried on,

I cover up real tight, elbows tucked in, guard tight, and in my head i count "3...2...1...GO",

on GO, while keeping my rear (right) hand glued to my cheek, chin tucked in, i pump 3 hard left jabs onto my opponent while making sure my left shoulder is protecting my chin. Before you know it, his attack has stopped. usually this has worked for me, but not always.

patrickmullenz
05-10-2011, 04:04 PM
ok what would do..
if its a southpaw ur fighting pivot to the left cause if ur at his left itd be akward for him to hit ya cause hel have to turn with you, put if u went right he,d be able to follow ya more easyily and keep punching u. or if its a orthadox ur boxing side step to the right for the same effect :) hope tht makes sense im bad at explaining things.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Xh0c2bhlM also could u please watch this video of me boxing im tryin to get it out ther abit more :) thanks

Barn
05-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Ignore the guy who said go backwards that's retarded. Move to the side by keeping a guard in tight and pivoting on your front foot, dragging your back foot in line behind you.

That means you are out of the way and if he is moving forward(as he would do in a flurry) he goes past your orginal position exposing his side and you have a great chance at countering.

Hard Chaw
05-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Walk um down with a tight guard. Tie up, work on the inside. Body.

Big BRICKS
05-11-2011, 05:38 PM
I always dip to my power side and throw a big hook over the top to back them off.

the traveler
05-12-2011, 09:41 PM
slowly move backwards while continuing to block and then throw shots before they can get off. You need to reestablish your timing when an opponent gets into your zone. best way to do this is to move back slowly and hit them before they can get to you.

Try parrying and catching him with a quick jab after the parry.

punchDrUnK MONK
05-12-2011, 10:41 PM

Thankyou

u can

catch them, simple block... with the palm of the glove...

u can also try to slip each str8 punch and counter with a hook or uppercut...

or i love rolling shots and using head movement, sometimes its fun to roll under a jab or a right hand and get in close then their straight shots wont be as effective and u can let a few rip...

theres a few ideas for ya