View Full Version : Fighters who neutralized opponents jab

$BloodyNate$
05-09-2011, 06:05 AM
Neutralized or even completely took it away making their opponent pay every time they threw it? And how?

DarkTerror88
05-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Frazier took it away with head movement

Ken Norton took it away with his.....Norton-ness.

Barn
05-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Mike Tyson slipping.
Roberto Duran uh, just watch his fight against Mr. Buchanan.

New England
05-09-2011, 10:31 AM
joe frazier would get inside, around, and under a jab and worked the body underneath it

that's about as effective i can think of for a smaller man
you're accomplishing everything you'd want to accomplish
you're inside where you want to be, and investing to the body so you'll have an easier time getting there later in the fight

otherwise i'd say the best means for taking away a jab is with another jab, and even better if you have a right hand behind it
for active fighters that jump to mind i'll list bernard hopkins, both klitschkos (with vitali doing it very differently than he did in his prime, and no longer really dropping the right hand,) nonito donaire (mostly just with handspeed and reflexes and punching power,) marquez (just because i cant think of anything he doesn't do well) and maravilla (took dzinziruk's razor right out of his hands, got away from pavliks jab and close enough to throw combinations to his grill)

historic fighters we can go back and find guys with good fuuckin jabs that you just don't want to fight at the wrong distance

hearns, huge right hand after the jab, underrated and very powerful hook as well
holmes, the wrong dude to have punching you at the wrong distance
sonny liston, didn't need anything after the jab, but he was a ruthless puncher. hardest jab ever thrown
ike quartey, ****ing cannon of a jab, stepped into it as well as any man i can remember
ali, speed and movement and a ton of snap on the jab

young_robbed
05-09-2011, 04:19 PM
in some of his fights byrd would take away his opponents jab by keeping his hands up so high and blocking it or pulling away from it