View Full Version : If you has to pick your all time favorite

Growth
05-08-2011, 02:03 AM
If you has to pick your all time favorite fight which one would you chose?

Frazier - Ali one for me.

The_Demon
05-08-2011, 02:07 AM
Charles Vs Walcott,beast of a scrap between two incredible fighters (1-3 for me)

Kevin Malone
05-08-2011, 02:07 AM
Fury-Power...

TBear
05-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Hard one because there are so many. I'll say Foreman vs. Lyle for now til I had more time to think about it.

BigStereotype
05-08-2011, 02:40 AM
Barrera-Marquez: My two favorite fighters going to war. They battled and fought at the highest level of technical skill. In my eyes, the perfect fight.

Wild Blue Yonda
05-08-2011, 02:41 AM
Very, very tough. I am flat-out just picking the best fight of the last decade (Morales-Barrera I, Corrales-Castillo I, Vazquez-Marquez III), let alone ever. Best I watched live was the unbelievable Benn-McClellan, but Hatton-Tszyu was also amazing to be present for.

All told, I would have to say Frazier-Ali I. The build-up, the occasion, the stakes & gravitas, the fighters' ability & contrasting personas & ring styles, & the bout itself (the most entertaining of the trilogy IMO, The Thrilla gets over-sold) it is the best fight I've seen in my lifetime.

cooper5
05-08-2011, 04:21 AM
If I gotta take only one I would say Hagler-Hearns.

Growth
05-08-2011, 05:07 AM
Very, very tough. I am flat-out just picking the best fight of the last decade (Morales-Barrera I, Corrales-Castillo I, Vazquez-Marquez III), let alone ever. Best I watched live was the unbelievable Benn-McClellan, but Hatton-Tszyu was also amazing to be present for.

All told, I would have to say Frazier-Ali I. The build-up, the occasion, the stakes & gravitas, the fighters' ability & contrasting personas & ring styles, & the bout itself (the most entertaining of the trilogy IMO, The Thrilla gets over-sold) it is the best fight I've seen in my lifetime.

Ali Frazier I, "the fight of the century"

Barn
05-08-2011, 06:09 AM
Ali Frazier I, "the fight of the century"
Joint fight of the century! :lol1:

Toney616
05-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Toney vs McCallum I.

SBleeder
05-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Leonard - Benitez, no question about it. Wish it had gone to the cards, but otherwise pretty much the best fight I've ever seen.

Holtol
05-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Morales vs Barrera 1 was the best fight I have watched in real time. I really enjoyed Ali vs Frazier 3 also but I watched it once the outcome had already been determined which for me takes away from the exsitement. Would have liked to watch the fight in the moment would have been amazing.

Scott9945
05-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Frazier-Ali I - The classic all others are measured by

Corrales-Castillo I - The best action and most dramatic fight I've ever seen

DarkTerror88
05-08-2011, 11:08 AM
1.) Ali-Frazier I: because It was THE fight of the century
2.) Hagler-Hearns: Because it is the standard for exciting rounds
3.) Foster- Finnegan: idk why but i can watch this fight over and over again

Boxing Bob
05-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Pryor-Arguello I, lotsa good choices though!

$BloodyNate$
05-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Hard one because there are so many. I'll say Foreman vs. Lyle for now til I had more time to think about it.

Co-****in sign. George Foreman vs Ron Lyle was just straight up ridiculous haha. I can't believe Foreman got dropped like that. Helluva fight!

Pastrano
05-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Its a tie between Corrales-Castillo I and Bowe-Holyfield I.

Wild Blue Yonda
05-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Frazier-Ali I - The classic all others are measured by

Corrales-Castillo I - The best action and most dramatic fight I've ever seen

I know this is unpopular, but amongst recent fights (the last six or seven years), I think Vazquez-Marquez III eclipses Corrales-Castillo I.

Scott9945
05-08-2011, 10:09 PM
I know this is unpopular, but amongst recent fights (the last six or seven years), I think Vazquez-Marquez III eclipses Corrales-Castillo I.

While I disagree, that was one hell of a great fight and I can understand why others would make that choice.

RINGG
05-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Saad Muhammad-Yaqui Lopez II has always been one of my favorites.

$BloodyNate$
05-09-2011, 03:32 AM

Yeah as drama wise goes, thats arguably the greatest trilogy ever. I could understand why somebody would pick another trilogy, but I think what really made this feud so special was that they both got stopped in the 1st two fights with only really half the fight fought. Only went into the middle rounds but they were so ****in epic. It was really filled with drama because the fighter who won the 1st 2 fights was most likely getting there ass beat until the other guy won on cuts. Everybody expected another 6-7 rounds slugfest but their wasn't even a stoppage, just 12 rounds of brutal back and forth where at the end of the fight you were so ****ing pissed because you had the fight decided by only probably 1 round and you felt you wanted the fight to go on so much longer haha

IRISH LULLABY
05-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Some excellent choices so far. Personally, I find it impossible to pick just one fight from the hundreds of great boxing fights I have seen over the years. I believe pre-fight hype certainly adds to the drama of the fight and really expounds upon the mental aspect of pugilism. For instance, knowing the deep history between Ali & Frazier adds another dimension to their fights when you watch it and adds to the allure of the event. In essense, you are aware of the great mental struggle which accompanies the physical battle in the ring. I guess what I'm getting at is, great fights which pre-date the extensive fight-camp coverage that other fighters enjoyed means that those great fights that were waged yonks ago have to stand on their own merit. Some fights I really enjoy watching every so often, off the top of my head:

Joe Louis vs Billy Conn I
Joe Louis vs Max Schmeling II
Aaron Pryor vs Alexis Arguello I
Bernard Hopkins vs Tito Trinidad
Sugar Ray Leonard vs Roberto Duran I & II
Sonny Liston vs Cleveland Williams I & II
Jimmy McLarnin vs Barney Ross II
Joe Frazier vs Jerry Quarry I
Joe Frazier vs George Foreman I
George Foreman vs Muhammad Ali
Sonny Liston vs Cassius Clay I
Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier I & II
Muhammad Ali vs Ken Norton II
George Foreman vs Ron Lyle
Diego Corrales vs Jose Luis Castillo I
Arturo Gatti vs Micky Ward I
Sugar Ray Robinson vs Jake LaMotta VI
Lennox Lewis vs Vitali Klitschko

Sorry, Can't decide.

lazy
05-09-2011, 05:35 AM
Duran/Blade Barkley. Amazing fight, no way Duran was going to last more than a few rounds. Duran pulled it off with a knockdown and Barkley turned around and lost a controversial decision to Michael Nunn in his next big match. Duran was a miracle worker.

M Deezy
05-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Corrales vs Castillo I

IronDanHamza
05-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Monzon Vs. Benvenuti 1 is my favourite fight ever.

Pastrano
05-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Just last night I watched a highlight video of the first Moore-Durelle fight-wow! I must say, that musta been one of the greatest fights/wars ever. Durelle almost finished off Old Mongoose, but the ref started the count too late and thus allowed Moore to get his senses back. Not takin anything away from Archie, but he might've been stopped in that round...it was the fourth I think. Anyway, as always, he came back in a grand manner and stopped Durelle, who was a true hero.

Terry A
05-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Roberto Duran vs Pipino Cuevas (two of my all-time top 10 fighters) & Ray Robinson vs Rocky Graziano (same reason) are on my short list of favorite fights of all time. But my vote for #1 personal favorite is Foreman vs Lyle.

That fight is a great example of an ol' fashioned slobber-knocker!

JAB5239
05-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Roberto Duran vs Pipino Cuevas (two of my all-time top 10 fighters) & Ray Robinson vs Rocky Graziano (same reason) are on my short list of favorite fights of all time. But my vote for #1 personal favorite is Foreman vs Lyle.

That fight is a great example of an ol' fashioned slobber-knocker!

Ahhh hahhaahaahhaaa!!!! Look who's back!!!!! Where you been Terry? Its good to see you around these parts again!

Vsec
05-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Joe Frazier vs. Muhammad Ali: The Fight of the Century

I watched this on the 40th anniversary, after watching like 3-4 docs on it. Incredible.

Some honorable mentions:

Salvador Sanchez vs. Wilfredo Gomez

Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Manny Pacquiao II

Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Tommy Hearns

NChristo
05-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Ray Leonard - Roberto Duran I
Gomez - Pintor
Jose Napoles - Curtis Cokes.

joseph5620
05-10-2011, 10:04 PM
If you has to pick your all time favorite fight which one would you chose?

Frazier - Ali one for me.

For me it's Matthew Franklin(Saad Muhammad) vs Marvin Johnson 1

talip bin osman
05-10-2011, 10:38 PM
i haven't watched it... just read it's summary and a blow by blow account here and there, but the gans-nelson fight was EPIC in any sense of the word... 40 plus rounds of classic sweet science, horse hair gloves and roughhousing galore... waged by 2 legitimate HOFs... damn...

MANIAC310
05-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Barrera -Morales I

Devroy Jones
05-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Thrilla In Manilla all the way, there has been no other fight better than it. IMO, it was even better than FOTC. another one that comes to mind is Rocky Marciano vs Jerse Joe Walcott.

Devroy Jones
05-12-2011, 01:05 AM
Toney vs McCallum I.
aint you way out off topic?

House of Stone
05-12-2011, 03:44 AM
For me there's just something special about the aptly named Fight of the Century

physiker
05-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Either Ali vs Frazier III or Ali vs Foreman.

Honorable mention to Douglas Vs Tyson. People seem to be forgetting that great upset.

I am basing this on great fights or upsets. And not on public hype. If hype you want, nothing beats Louis vs Schmelling II.

Two whole countries were riveted to their radios, not just boxing fans. Prelude to war.

Anthony342
05-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Marciano vs. Walcott 1

DeepSleep
05-13-2011, 03:41 AM
McCallum vs. Toney I, I could watch that on a loop and never get bored.

fitefanSHO
05-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Douglas KO10 Tyson

For me, it had everything.

$BloodyNate$
05-14-2011, 01:38 AM
Scratch that, I can't believe I completely forgot about Ricardo Mayorga vs Felix Trinidad. Easily my all time favorite fight because it was a freakin' brawl and the way Mayorga stuck his chin out and let Tito land some devastating shots that he just took!

Not the biggest war ever but just my favorite fight but it was a fun little brawl. I could watch that fight 200 times in a row and still not get tired of watching it. This is the first full boxing fight I ever saw in 04 when i was like 11.

The Holyfield/Bowe triology they use to show on ESPN EVERYday, Ali vs Frazier triology and vs Foreman, Whitaker-McGirt, and then this fight made me get into boxing hardcore.

KO'er
05-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Cassius Clay-Sonny Liston from 1964.