View Full Version : Does Shane Mosley have an All-Time Great chin?

BigStereotype
05-07-2011, 04:13 AM
I don't know if Shane quite cracks my top 100, which is about my cap for ATG. If I were ever to learn enough to make such a list, he just doesn't feel like he'd be on it. But there is no doubting whatsoever that he had a chin of steel. Just watching the Cotto fight right now and he absorbed some flush bombs. And I know Cotto's not an ATG puncher or anything, but he's a damn good one and Mosley took those punches like nothing. He's been in other wars, too and only ever went down against bigger guys and was never really that badly hurt from what I remember. So does he have one of the greatest beards you ever saw?

TBear
05-07-2011, 04:30 AM
I think he has a very good chin and possibly great, but I personally would hold reservation on "atg" til has career is over and we are looking back.

Doesn't help getting hurt and dropped by Forrest who was not a very hard puncher. Not alot of great punchers on his resume either in my opinion.

Can I edit my answer tomorrow night?

SCtrojansbaby
05-07-2011, 05:38 AM
Yes not quite Hagler/Margarito/Ali/Camacho etc but the very next tier down

The Surgeon
05-07-2011, 06:09 AM
There are better chins, ie. Hagler and guys like that but yeah Shane has a great chin. U dont get the feeling he cant be hurt and it dosnt matter what lands on him but he holds a big shot real well

Check_hooks
05-07-2011, 06:17 AM
He absolutely has a ATG chin. He has only been hurt once in his entire career and that was against Forrest. And he fought in the steroid era against people caught using roids. And he didn't duck ANYBODY in his entire career.

Now if Pac drops him tonight than I may have to change my answer.

IronDanHamza
05-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Considering Shane has been blocking punches with his face for a long long time now, and has been in there with a handful of pretty good punchers and only been down what? Twice? Fair to say he has an excellent chin.

By no means is it the best chin I have ever seen or even close. But it is definitely an excellent set of whiskers if I ever saw one.

The Surgeon
05-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Other than Forrest who ropped Mosley? I cant think, only Vernon as far i can recall...

What stays with me more than the KD he took against Forrest is the YELP he let out after getting Belted hard to the body along the ropes in their first fight! It sounded so painfull!

Check_hooks
05-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Other than Forrest who ropped Mosley? I cant think, only Vernon as far i can recall...

What stays with me more than the KD he took against Forrest is the YELP he let out after getting Belted hard to the body along the ropes in their first fight! It sounded so painfull!

Only one man has dropped Shane Mosley as a professional and that man was Vernon Forrest R.I.P.

The_Demon
05-07-2011, 06:52 AM
He isnt very good defensively and gets hit clean a hell of a lot,yet its rare too see him hurt or stunned,that tells me he has a very good chin,an ATG chin? Il let you know tomorrow,its certainly going too get tested tonight

TheHolyCross
05-07-2011, 06:53 AM
I think he has a very good chin and possibly great, but I personally would hold reservation on "atg" til has career is over and we are looking back.

Doesn't help getting hurt and dropped by Forrest who was not a very hard puncher. Not alot of great punchers on his resume either in my opinion.

Can I edit my answer tomorrow night?

it's not like he dropped for no reason, he got a concussion in that fight

and i dont care how hard forrest is "suppossed" to hit, but what he hit shane with looked brutal

Barn
05-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Yes not quite Hagler/Margarito/Ali/Camacho etc but the very next tier down
I agree completely.

SCtrojansbaby
05-07-2011, 08:03 AM
What happens tonight means nothing Shane is shot to pieces.

RubenSonny
05-07-2011, 08:12 AM

Agreed.....hes there to be hit, I will be mildly surprised if this goes past 6.

Scott9945
05-07-2011, 09:53 AM

Which would make it even more impressive if his chin holds up for 12 rounds.

New England
05-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Shane's got a granite chin

it's proven to be as sturdy as any other man boxing today.

vernon forrest was a big puncher in his prime
he got great leverage on that right hand and he was very fast and very strong

we'll see how well it holds up through the twilight of his career, and make an evaluation accordingly. tonight's going to say plenty about it.
right now i'd have a real hard time naming 100 men with better chins
i'm not saying it cant be done
i'm saying i'd have a real hard time naming 100 of them

his fights with cotto, de la hoya 1, even mayweather jump to mind
he took flush shots and combinations on the grill that would have sent almost any WW home early in each of those fights

especially considering his best work was done as a LW, i give him the nod of having a spectacular chin

he's just a durable dude.

unfortunately, he's aging, and doesn't have a ton of craft in terms of getting out of the way of punches
he used to rely almost exclusively on sharper reflexes and upperbody and head movement to get out of the way of punches

i don't want to see him hurt or stopped
if he does, it shouldn't muddle the fact that he had a world class set of whiskers throughout his best days
i've got some e-casche on him not getting stopped tonight

Barn
05-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Which would make it even more impressive if his chin holds up for 12 rounds.
Mosley late KO.

WAR MOSLEY!

CarlosG815
05-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I'd say he's got just as good a chin as any I've seen. He has fought some tremendous competition. He has fought all the best fighters and at different ages. Truly a fantastic chin.

The Surgeon
05-07-2011, 02:09 PM
it's not like he dropped for no reason, he got a concussion in that fight

and i dont care how hard forrest is "suppossed" to hit, but what he hit shane with looked brutal

And dont forget it came shrtly after that real bad head clash

BKM-2010
05-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Mosley has a great great great chin. Tonight we will see how his chin will be in his 40s.

young_robbed
05-07-2011, 03:38 PM
very good but not ATG chin imo

DUCK FACE
05-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Yes he does..

Forrest hit him with monster shots..

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HfDN87pmKxQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But what no one has mentioned is that Shane was badly ****ed up by a clash of heads in round 1 and hadn't recovered in my view.

Holtol
05-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I can't name 100 guys with a better chin but since about 1990 I think I have seen close to 20 with at least as good of a chin or better. I don't think he would be in the top 100 for great chins all time.

BKM-2010
05-08-2011, 11:43 AM
So how do you reflect on this subject after seeing last night's fight(knockdown)?

bojangles1987
05-08-2011, 03:46 PM
So how do you reflect on this subject after seeing last night's fight(knockdown)?

No different for me. Yes he was knocked down but he's shot. I'd say he has a great chin considering he isn't a big welterweight yet has taken big shots from big fighters at 154 without going down.

Uturn
05-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Mosley has a great chin. Last night was a shot to pieces Mosley who clearly cannot pull the trigger anymore.

ATG chin for me.