View Full Version : If Norris had a better chin

Pastrano
05-04-2011, 02:51 PM
I think he would be a top 10 ATG. Anyone agree?

IronDanHamza
05-04-2011, 03:20 PM
I don't think so.

But it certainly will have allowed him to achieve more.

jabsRstiff
05-04-2011, 03:36 PM
The punch Julian Jackson hit him with would have KO'd every 154lber in history, and most guys who fought between 154-168...it was that massive. I also think that perhaps Norris had a good chin before that, but had it shattered by that KO.

Ziggy Stardust
05-04-2011, 06:32 PM
If Norris had a better chin.....

.....then he would have been sombody else.

CarlosG815
05-04-2011, 06:35 PM
I think he would be a top 10 ATG. Anyone agree?

It's hard to say because he didn't have a really great chin. That's what separates greats a lot of times. Imagine if both Julian Jackson and Terry Norris had phenomenal chins... They'd be Ray Robinson.

I personally like Julian Jackson over Terry Norris but his chin just takes so much away from him.

Gerald McClellan was a guy who had it all.

Ziggy Stardust
05-04-2011, 06:39 PM
If Norris had a better chin.....

Just think of the possibilities:

.....If Chris Byrd could punch
.....If Mike Tyson had an 82" reach
.....If Jermain Taylor had stamina
.....If Ricky Hatton had skill
.....If Ray Mercer had a brain
.....If Riddick Bowe never saw a buffet line
.....If Floyd Mayweather had balls
.....If Manny Pacquiao wasn't skeered of needles
.....If Hector Camacho wasn't a gutless wonder

CarlosG815
05-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Just think of the possibilities:

.....If Chris Byrd could punch
.....If Mike Tyson had an 82" reach
.....If Jermain Taylor had stamina
.....If Ricky Hatton had skill
.....If Ray Mercer had a brain
.....If Riddick Bowe never saw a buffet line
.....If Floyd Mayweather had balls
.....If Manny Pacquiao wasn't skeered of needles
.....If Hector Camacho wasn't a gutless wonder

LMAO!!! Good stuff poet.:haha:

EMSLDB
05-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Not only a chin but his mindset. When he wanted to be he could be a beautiful technichian, With a complete offensive arsenal, and great footwork. his other mindset was to at times forget about his skills and just look to overwhelm you with just speed and power, similar to the way gamboa does today and that would leave him vulnerable with his iffy chin. Also there were so many fight that should have happend in his career like jackson rematch, mcclelan,Toney, Vasquez ,Trinidad.

Wild Blue Yonda
05-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Right, If the Queen had balls, as they say, she'd be the King. It's a pointless imagining, really.

However, Norris could not have cracked the top-10 PFP of all-time with a better chin, no way.

Scott9945
05-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Right, If the Queen had balls, as they say, she'd be the King. It's a pointless imagining, really.

However, Norris could not have cracked the top-10 PFP of all-time with a better chin, no way.

Some people don't seem to grasp how elite "top 10 P4P all time" actually is.

Pastrano
05-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Some people don't seem to grasp how elite "top 10 P4P all time" actually is.

You may say that, but how many of the people YOU rate top 10 p4p ATG had all the tools that Norris had? Both speed, athleticism, power, footwork and technical skill? He was amazing. People were starting to compare him to SRR and SRL, no matter how washed up, never had a chance against him. Makes you wonder how well he'd do if he was prime. I still think Norris could beat him.

CarlosG815
05-05-2011, 01:03 PM
You may say that, but how many of the people YOU rate top 10 p4p ATG had all the tools that Norris had? Both speed, athleticism, power, footwork and technical skill? He was amazing. People were starting to compare him to SRR and SRL, no matter how washed up, never had a chance against him. Makes you wonder how well he'd do if he was prime. I still think Norris could beat him.

91 Leonard was nothing like the Leonard of the 70's and 80's. I think that Leonard would have beat him prime for prime.

Pastrano
05-05-2011, 01:13 PM
91 Leonard was nothing like the Leonard of the 70's and 80's. I think that Leonard would have beat him prime for prime.

I didn't say he was, but he still had SOMETHING left, he wasn't a vegetable. Norris totally demolished/diminished him, which means he woulda stood a chance against a prime Leonard.

Ziggy Stardust
05-05-2011, 02:52 PM

The Leonard Norris beat was completely washed up. A prime Leonard smokes Norris like a cheap Havana stogie. Completely different class of fighter.

Poet

CarlosG815
05-05-2011, 04:23 PM
The Leonard Norris beat was completely washed up. A prime Leonard smokes Norris like a cheap Havana stogie. Completely different class of fighter.

Poet

I think so too. That is to say that Kevin McBride totally demolished Mike Tyson therefore in Tyson's prime it wouldn't have been much different, but as we know McBride probably would not have lasted a single round vs a prime Tyson.

I disagree with that logic, Pastrano. I think Leonard beats him handily, as poet said, different class of fighter.

Scott9945
05-05-2011, 08:13 PM

You can talk about tools all you want. I've seen countless of highly touted baseball pitchers with electric stuff who just didn't know how to win consistently. And having a weak chin wasn't Norris' only flaw. His defense was nothing special, and he had the bad habit of getting disqualified (which counts as losing).

Honestly I always liked Terry Norris. He was a terrific offensive fighter. But nobody during his time was comparing him with Sugar Ray Robinson. And the Ray Leonard he beat was washed up and foolishly fighting at a weight too low for him. You're just not going find much (any?) support projecting Norris as one of the 10 best fighters who ever lived by giving him a good chin.

Scott9945
05-06-2011, 11:06 AM
You keep running your mouth about things when you don't know all the facts. Now please stop embarrassing yourself and wisen up! This is all just YOUR opinion-thats cool. But don't try to CLAIM it as everyone else's! Wisen up son.

What facts specifically am I wrong about Pastrami? You really think that people were comparing Norris to Robinson? :rofl:

Pastrano
05-06-2011, 11:30 AM
What facts specifically am I wrong about Pastrami? You really think that people were comparing Norris to Robinson? :rofl:

I read it in an article. I can try and find it if you wish, but it was some time ago I read it.

Boxing Bob
05-06-2011, 03:03 PM
I have a tough time thinking that any credible boxing writer actually penned an article putting Norris on par with Robinson

Pastrano
05-06-2011, 03:05 PM
I have a tough time thinking that any credible boxing writer actually penned an article putting Norris on par with Robinson

Oh good grief...saying a fighter reminds you of another, far more legendary fighter isnt the same as putting them ON PAR!