View Full Version : Felix Trinidad vs Mike McCallum

Perfect Plex
05-04-2011, 11:07 AM
@ 154lb. Unbeaten Tito vs Unbeaten Mike. Who wins & how?

Wild Blue Yonda
05-04-2011, 11:12 AM
McCallum, as I see him, is the greatest 154lber of all-time, & this was Trinidad's optimum division too, IMO. Great clash, but there is scarcely a better way to take the oomph out of your opposition's punch than by folding them in half with a savage bodyattack, & nothing facilitates that better than a wide-elbowed stance, ala the defensively-deficient Trinidad.

Trinidad's power, up-tempo assault & terrific combination of heart & endurance would keep this interesting for most of the twelve rounds, but by the end, he'd be hanging on badly. McCallum by clear, & somewhat competitive, UD.

Barn
05-04-2011, 11:25 AM
McCallum, as I see him, is the greatest 154lber of all-time, & this was Trinidad's optimum division too, IMO. Great clash, but there is scarcely a better way to take the oomph out of your opposition's punch than by folding them in half with a savage bodyattack, & nothing facilitates that better than a wide-elbowed stance, ala the defensively-deficient Trinidad.

Trinidad's power, up-tempo assault & terrific combination of heart & endurance would keep this interesting for most of the twelve rounds, but by the end, he'd be hanging on badly. McCallum by clear, & somewhat competitive, UD.
Great analysis and you've just gave me an idea for the Fantasy Fights section.

Hearns vs McCallum at 154.

IronDanHamza
05-04-2011, 01:18 PM
McCallum is just a beast at Jr Middleweight.

Anyone in history has a hard time with the body snatcher at 154.

I'm with WBY on this one. McCallum by clear but competitive descision.

The_Demon
05-04-2011, 01:52 PM
McCallum would stop him late,if not win a wide decision,i really cant see Trinidad beating him

Pastrano
05-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Trinidad has no chance. Mike's chin was never cracked by anybody and he took Julian Jackson's best punches. If The Hawk couldn't do it, Trinidad can't either-end of story. Mike schools him a'la Hopkins style but even better than that. He would likely stop him.

SCtrojansbaby
05-05-2011, 02:30 AM
50/50 fight it would be an absolute war

crold1
05-06-2011, 05:18 PM
McCallum could struggle with movement. Tito doesn't have that. His jab would own Tito from jump. A steady beat down on par with the Hopkins win but probably more brutal as the body attack mounted. Tito might win a round. Maybe.

crold1
05-06-2011, 05:21 PM
McCallum is just a beast at Jr Middleweight.

Anyone in history has a hard time with the body snatcher at 154.

I'm with WBY on this one. McCallum by clear but competitive descision.

He was a beast at 60 too...he just rose a wee late and ran into some incredible talent. Middleweight proper between the Hagler and Hopkins eras was one of the most talented, stacked classes boxing has ever seen. In any era. It's forgotten how good Kalambay was when they split two, and he was nip tuck with the young, gave a damn phenom version of Toney. Throw in Collins and Watson and McCallum is underrated at 60. I used to rate him higher there. I think body of work weighs against

lightsout_finit
05-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Two of my all time favorite fighters...... :)
Gotta lean towards Mccallum. Tito's punches were absolutey lethal but Mcallums chin was rock solid.

RichCCFC
05-07-2011, 06:59 PM
McCallum easy enough

talip bin osman
05-09-2011, 07:56 PM
taming fighters like felix trinidad was mike mccallum's specialty... mccallum is a bad style match-up for felix...

Steak
05-09-2011, 11:01 PM
McCallum by late stoppage, maybe decision. McCallum drops Trinidad early, breaks him down late.

lets not forget what McCallum was able to do against a fellow chinny power puncher in Jackson.

not a good matchup for Trinidad. McCallum was too crafty, too durable, and would wear Trinidad down inbetween his low workrate.