View Full Version : Out of season training

red boy
05-04-2011, 07:14 AM
My boxing season is due to end at the end of may and I want to take full advantage of the off season so that when I return in September I am sharp and fit.

What training regimes do you put in place during the off season? I was planning on endurance running four times a week and also fitting in interval running.

I'm also planning on going gym four times a week and I was planning on making my routine all to do with strength and conditioning. I will do my normal boxing circuit training but what should i be adding to my regime in regards to improving strength?

DeadlyOverhand
05-05-2011, 12:01 PM
why you takin the summer off

red boy
05-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Our boxing club closes between from end of may to start of september.

In the UK the boxing season runs from Sep to May.

rockymarciano1
05-05-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm looking to do the same thing. I had six bouts this season and Im looking to get alot stronger and fitter in the next 4-5 months ready for next season. I've not been doing much road work at the moment but I've been busy with g.c.s.e s, but I've been doing alot of circuit training and gym work.

red boy
05-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Rocky, Im the same mate not done a lot of roadwork at all, i average about 3 miles a week running. Im gonna make sure that I do 30 minutes running 3 times a week at the gym and then do interval running once a week.

As much as im gonna miss boxing im looking forward to getting alot stronger and fitter during the summer period.

barfly12
05-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Increase your running, increase your strength training. If at all possible spar to keep your reflexes sharp. Watch what you eat. Don't get fact.

red boy
05-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Increase your running, increase your strength training. If at all possible spar to keep your reflexes sharp. Watch what you eat. Don't get fact.

What sort of excercises should I be doing for strength training?

Joachim
05-09-2011, 10:36 AM
watching tv on the sofa.

Joachim
05-09-2011, 10:37 AM
seriously. you're concerned about staying fit and building up on the off season, and you have no clue on what to do in terms of just building strength? Just go to a regular gym. You don't have to. But It doesn't hurt.

Cuban Boxing
05-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Out of season???!!!

lol wtf u thinkin?!!! u are not in the nba,mlb or nhl etc.. so there is no off season 4u u cunt..

red boy
05-10-2011, 07:12 AM
Cuban - In the UK the boxing gym closes for two months and over here it is called the off-season.....you cunt.

Cuban Boxing
05-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Cuban - In the UK the boxing gym closes for two months and over here it is called the off-season.....you cunt.

well its a good excuse 4u u, u lazy ****... :bottle:

red boy
05-10-2011, 11:18 AM
clearly im still intending on training.

Grosser611
05-12-2011, 05:53 AM
You MUST give your body 2-4 weeks rest. Just do nothing, continue to eat healthy but let your body recover. This is why all sports and all athletes have an OFF SEASON. Its there for a reason and no your not slacking off by doing nothing your resting your body and recharging your batteries for a year of hard training. Your body will thank you 6 months into next year :)

red boy
05-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Grosser, i plan on have a few weeks off as im on holiday but after that I want to get my fitness and speed right up!

barfly12
05-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Do shrugs, military presses, dead lifts, close grip bench press for triceps. If you want, throw in some bench press. And train your abs.

Do around 6-8 reps per set, two or three sets. That's what worked for me. You must experiment and see what works for you. Remember, you are strength training not bodybuilding.