View Full Version : GSP weighed around 192lbs tonight against Sheilds... Why is he ducking Silva again?

Ekscape
05-01-2011, 03:11 AM
The secrets behind GSP’s weight-cutting (and gaining) success
By Maggie Hendricks

Mystery surrounds elite fighters and their ability to cut weight. How is it possible for Georges St. Pierre to drop 25 pounds by Friday afternoon before his fight with Jake Shields but gain most of it back and be full-strength by fight time on Saturday night?

It's no guessing game. Smart fighters treat nutrition as a science, carefully regulating their diet before fights. GSP's main trainer Firas Zahabi talked about what the UFC welterweight champ does to ensure a healthy weight cut.

Now he's on a protein and vegetable diet. Right now his exercise is significantly cut, but he's going to shed water. It's only temporary weight loss. It's not real weight loss. You're not dropping fat. (The final weight-cut) lasts about six days . . . By Friday he'll have six or seven pounds left and we'll put him in the sauna. I don't recommend this to anybody, even professional athletes. This is somebody who's very seasoned.

After GSP steps on the scale on Friday afternoon and weighs in at 170 lbs., his team will give him a carbohydrate-laden recovery drink. Then, he will eat normally and drink water to rehydrate. He'll weigh around 192 lbs. by the time he steps in the Octagon with Shields on Saturday night for UFC 129.
Some fighters start their eating plan months in advance. Mike Dolce, a nutritionist and former contestant on "The Ultimate Fighter," works with fighters to ensure a complete eating plan that helps fighters cut weight without the sauna. Like Zahabi, Dolce does not recommend sauna use

"The guys who use the sauna to cut ten or twelve pounds, you're forcing your body to expel so much water so quickly that it's not discerning what water is safe to cut from the system and what water isn't. It's just taking it from wherever, and it becomes dangerous. That's where you see guys who don't recover from their weight cut. They look sluggish in their fight, and they defeat the whole purpose of all the training and the conditioning from their fight camp."

A recent study on wrestlers found that severe weight cuts could hurt their mental abilities in a match. Without using proper methods, fighters can find themselves in bad shape for their bouts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/The-secrets-behind-GSP-8217-s-weight-cutting-a;_ylt=AjGnhqSXIl_8_gBRT9kdeQRXEo14?urn=mma-wp1628

BALLISTIC
05-01-2011, 11:41 AM
true...cuz silva at most would come in at 210 or 200 only
gsp knows silva was watching and would pick him apart
i doubt this fight happens..

if anything i rather see gsp vs bisping at 185 before silva

ƒallenloki
05-01-2011, 01:35 PM
I find 192 hard to believe...

fathergll
05-01-2011, 02:01 PM
if anything i rather see gsp vs bisping at 185 before silva

That fight make no sense. Bisbing is no measuring stick for Silva. Either GSP fights Silva or he doesn't fight at 185 at all

I find 192 hard to believe...

I'm wondering where they got 192 from? That isn't quoted anywhere in that article from a source and I have heard numerous times GSP stating his weight his around 185-187 lbs come fight night

As for as GSP ducking Silva, well its a huge weight jump for him. The problem is a two fold one.

1.) Hes moving up an entire weight class 15lbs
2.) Hes taking on the P4P best fighter in the world at that weight.

So not only is he fighting at a class hes never been at hes also fighting a guy who is considered to be P4P better than him. Thats a huge deal. Its not like GSP is some ***** for not jumping right up there. Thats a calculated move with putting on some size.

New England
05-01-2011, 02:08 PM
i've heard that thiago alvez used to walk around at 220-230 and balloon up to 200 lbs after weighing in for a 170 lb fight

guys that come from a wrestling background have been making weight their entire lives by cutting water weight

i'm convinced we'd see much better chins in mma if guys didn't all follow this trend, and fought closer to their natural weights

ƒallenloki
05-01-2011, 02:31 PM
i've heard that thiago alvez used to walk around at 220-230 and balloon up to 200 lbs after weighing in for a 170 lb fight

guys that come from a wrestling background have been making weight their entire lives by cutting water weight

i'm convinced we'd see much better chins in mma if guys didn't all follow this trend, and fought closer to their natural weights

No one is gaining 30 pounds over night.

Welcome back to reality.

fathergll
05-01-2011, 06:02 PM
No one is gaining 30 pounds over night.

Welcome back to reality.

Yeah 30lbs is stretching it(At WW). Alves might have been 200lbs when he came in overweight which he has done on a few occasions.

Anthony Johnson was 195lbs for his last fight and thats a pretty damn impressive cut. Usually the rule of thumb is most guys can cut around 10% of their body weight. Obviously factors like how much muscle a guy has plays with that number but 10% give or take a few is pretty much the upper limit for the majority of guys. Guys like Johnson stretch that number a bit more.

% of the body weight is more important than an actual number because the bigger you are the easier it is to cut weight compared to a smaller guy. A HW cutting 20lbs to make 265lbs is much easier than a WW cutting 20lbs to make 170lbs.

monaroCountry
05-03-2011, 04:44 AM
force them to have a weigh in an hour before the fight. This way fighters will be fighting close to their optimal weight which makes it a bit fairer.

Amrn4s
05-03-2011, 06:20 AM
cause honestly Gsp will have a good chance of losing against Anderson Silva. His jabbing fighting style wont really work on Silva. Silva is to elusive, and can capitalize on Gsp's holes in his standup game.

In my mind if Gsp were to go to 185 he would lose to Anderson Silva. We all know that Gsp does'nt want to lose. So this fight wont happen unless theres a lot of money on the line, possible boxing pay. (A mil or two each)

fathergll
05-03-2011, 07:00 PM
force them to have a weigh in an hour before the fight. This way fighters will be fighting close to their optimal weight which makes it a bit fairer.

Thats silly. Weigh ins are a mini event in itself for combat sports the day before. That wouldn't work as well and would be more dangerous because the lack of time to rehydrate.

So this fight wont happen unless theres a lot of money on the line, possible boxing pay. (A mil or two each)

Yeah it would have to be a better pay day. GSP is definitely making over a million a fight now with PPV cut($400,000 + PPV buys).

fathergll
05-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Anyway I found another quote that points to GSP's camp mentioning him being 192lbs come fight night. After comparing weigh in pics it does look liked he put on some size since his other fights. Noticeable in his upper body / shoulder

July 2009
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/071009ufc/2010.jpg
Dec 2010
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/121010ufc/1094.jpg
April 2011
http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/albums/042911ufc/1093.jpg

Article #1 published May 3rd (after the Shields St-Pierre fight) by ESPN

Firas Zahabi can't see Georges St. Pierre packing on many more pounds. Georges St. Pierre’s trainer Firas Zahabi isn’t against seeing his star fighter move up a division after his recent sixth straight welterweight title defense. He is, however, against seeing him pack on a ton of weight to do it.

According to Zahabi, St. Pierre (22-2) has probably added all the muscle his 5-foot-10 frame can athletically carry. If St. Pierre decides to vacate the 170-pound title and compete at 185, Zahabi says he’ll encourage him to remain close to the weight he is now.

“He’ll be very small for a middleweight,” Zahabi told ESPN.com. “If I balloon him up to over 200 pounds, it won’t do any good. There’s a point where you can have too much muscle and it’s not a good thing. I think he’s got the maximum amount you can put on his body without it starting to be detrimental.

“If he goes up [to 185], I would recommend he stay the same size. You don’t want Georges to go in there bulked up and unable to perform in the mechanical way that he does.”

Prior to his fight against Jake Shields at UFC 129, St. Pierre's camp said its target was for him to rehydrate 22 pounds, to an in-cage weight between 192 and 193 pound.

Another reason to not add a ton of muscle is it would be tedious weight for St. Pierre to shed if he ever chose to move back down. Zahabi did note, however, that in a proposed fight against Anderson Silva, he’d experiment adding as much as 10 pounds to St. Pierre to help keep the lengthy Brazilian down.

“I’d probably push him up to 200 pounds for that fight,” Zahabi said. “He still wouldn’t be as big as Anderson and it wouldn’t be natural, but it would be better. If you do get on Anderson Silva, having an extra pounds on you is a good extra 10 pounds.”

Article #2 published May 1st by Yahoo Sports.

Dave Metzler
St. Pierre’s handlers during the week said that he would be 193 pounds when he went into the cage. That would be an increase over the usual 187-188 pounds St. Pierre fights at after making 170 the night before. The champion appeared bigger across the shoulders. But while the added weight appeared to be all muscle, as St. Pierre maintained his usual next-to-zero body fat percentage, it did not appear to be to his benefit as a fighter. He didn’t appear nearly as fast, nor was his striking as crisp. If anything, this fight appeared to be a warning sign about trying to get up to 200 pounds and then compete as a middleweight.

The reality is St. Pierre’s frame is simply not made to be a modern middleweight. He’s a good enough fighter that he could carry the weight without it being fat, and probably could beat a lot of people in the class. But at the upper echelon, going middleweight would be well above his optimum fighting weight.

http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/1657/zahabi-st-pierre-about-as-big-as-hell-get

mic573
05-08-2011, 04:11 PM
cause honestly Gsp will have a good chance of losing against Anderson Silva. His jabbing fighting style wont really work on Silva. Silva is to elusive, and can capitalize on Gsp's holes in his standup game.

If they ever fight believe me the fight will be going to the ground. He stood up with Koscheck and Shields because the have a good ground game. If they were stand up fighters then he would took the fight to the ground.

And yes GSP will take Silva down. If you have good takedowns and a good wrestler then you can take Silva down. He has problems with fighters who can wrestle.