View Full Version : Anderson Silva is very overrated

Freedom2014
04-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Anderson Silva gets a lot of hype from the media, and Dana White is all over his nuts, but he's never beaten a really elite fighter. All his recent opponents were carefully hand-picked and had previously lost to mediocre opposition.

He keeps talking about fighting the much smaller GSP, but he's very reluctant to move up a weight division and face a decent opponent, perhaps because he knows he can't beat anybody good without some kind of an advantage.

The Boxing Snob
04-30-2011, 11:44 AM
This is outright nonsense.

HMD

Rip Chudd
04-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Says the guy posting on Boxingscene whom nobody knows. SMH

The Boxing Snob
04-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Says the guy posting on Boxingscene whom nobody knows. SMHThat means that I can't have an opinion?

That's logical. Glad that you're not fighting for my country.

Rip Chudd
04-30-2011, 12:06 PM
That means that I can't have an opinion?

That's logical. Glad that you're not fighting for my country.
I didn't say that but thanks for trying. I'm saying that if Silva is so "overrated" then get out there and do better then him and show us why he is so "overrated". Funny how people hate those who are achieving something so much that they have to come up with some reason to to downplay what they've done. Please, go ask a group of his peers and those who have fought the guy if he's "Overrated". SMH

The Boxing Snob
04-30-2011, 12:19 PM
I didn't say that but thanks for trying. I'm saying that if Silva is so "overrated" then get out there and do better then him and show us why he is so "overrated". Funny how people hate those who are achieving something so much that they have to come up with some reason to to downplay what they've done. Please, go ask a group of his peers and those who have fought the guy if he's "Overrated". SMHMy bad. I thought you were directing your first post at me.

Sorry man.

Rip Chudd
04-30-2011, 12:22 PM
My bad. I thought you were directing your first post at me.

Sorry man.
Haha, no I wasn't. It's all good man.

Freedom2014
04-30-2011, 01:32 PM
My bad. I thought you were directing your first post at me.

Sorry man.

:stupid: You're still as DUMB as ever, Tim Horton! :rofl:

I thought you said, if you were ever banned, you wouldn't come back with a new account? :liar:

Las Vegas,
04-30-2011, 01:33 PM
It's not his fault the MW division is mediocre. I agree with you, but he's not very overrated. He's the greatest fighter I've ever seen. He's number 1 on my ATG list along with Fedor. The thing this guy does in the ring is amazing.

$BloodyNate$
04-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Once again Tunney is showing how retarded and just downright racist he is. If he was white Tunney would have never made this poll. You just decribed the Klitschko's in your 1st post hahahahaha

Hasn't beat any elite fighters? Are you ****in kidding me? He's just that damn good that he's beaten everybody so nobody looks elite. Vitor Beltfort is an MMA legend and Anderson made him look like a chump. Rich Franklin was the man until Silva was on the scene. He would still be a top 3 middleweight but since Anderson spanked him twice he moved up in weight because he knows e can't beat silva. Marquardt is an elite middleweight. Chael Sonnen is an elite middleweight, former WEC champ who destroyed Paulo Fhilo who at once was a P4P great in the sport.

You just don't know ***** about the sport of MMA. Anderson Silva is 36. Why the **** should he move up in weight again? The ship has already sailed ever since Machida won the title.Especially against an unproven champion who hasn't even defended his title yet. GSP the smaller man? Your just ****in trollin and bein' racist.

Go **** yourself and stay outta the MMA section. Anderson Silva is the greatst fighter to ever step into the ring or cage. Kaps ban this worthless piece of *****.

piano man
04-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Anderson Silva gets a lot of hype from the media, and Dana White is all over his nuts, but he's never beaten a really elite fighter. All his recent opponents were carefully hand-picked and had previously lost to mediocre opposition.

He keeps talking about fighting the much smaller GSP, but he's very reluctant to move up a weight division and face a decent opponent, perhaps because he knows he can't beat anybody good without some kind of an advantage.

this ****ing clown ..............

Fighting Spirit
04-30-2011, 04:31 PM

WTF are you for real? He hasnt beat anyone decent?
Rich Franklin x2
Nate Marquardt
Dan Henderson
Forrest Griffin
Chael Sonnen
Vitor Belfort

Thats a great resume of wins over ELITE & ATG fighters. Add to that he's 13-0 in the UFC. And has made 9 defences of the UFC TITLE.

That records speaks for itself. No way is he overrated!

Jack3d
04-30-2011, 04:32 PM
I agree with OP. Although Anderson has beaten, at best, 1 truly elite fighter, and that's Dan Henderson and by that point he was already on the decline.

He moved up and fought two tailor made opponents, and no is refusing to move back up and actually fight someone legit.

But he's open to fighting an opponent in GSP who he clearly has an weight advantage over.

-Belfort is not an MMA Legend, and he is well past his prime.
-Marquardt is just average has been good but has never truly lived up to the "elite" label
-Franklin is another Average guy who dominated a MW class as a champion when it was dead and defended his title a grand total of two times.
-Irvin- Bum
-Cote- Bum
-Leites- BUm
-Lutter-Bum
-Maia- Mediocre
-Leben...Nuff Said
-Griffin...Average the fact that he had the belt in the first place is a farce and is the only thing Anderson fans can cling on to say the win had any legitimacy. Forrest Griffin is a glorified gatekeeper.

-Sonnen...lol there were tons of idiots on this forum saying who the f is chael sonnen before he fought Anderson and thought he was a bum and was going to be destroyed. Now all of a sudden he gives Anderson a tough fight and he's now he's Elite? LOL. The truth is Chael is an average to slightly above Average fighter.

$BloodyNate$
04-30-2011, 06:03 PM
I agree with OP. Although Anderson has beaten, at best, 1 truly elite fighter, and that's Dan Henderson and by that point he was already on the decline.

He moved up and fought two tailor made opponents, and no is refusing to move back up and actually fight someone legit.

But he's open to fighting an opponent in GSP who he clearly has an weight advantage over.

-Belfort is not an MMA Legend, and he is well past his prime.
-Marquardt is just average has been good but has never truly lived up to the "elite" label
-Franklin is another Average guy who dominated a MW class as a champion when it was dead and defended his title a grand total of two times.
-Irvin- Bum
-Cote- Bum
-Leites- BUm
-Lutter-Bum
-Maia- Mediocre
-Leben...Nuff Said
-Griffin...Average the fact that he had the belt in the first place is a farce and is the only thing Anderson fans can cling on to say the win had any legitimacy. Forrest Griffin is a glorified gatekeeper.

-Sonnen...lol there were tons of idiots on this forum saying who the f is chael sonnen before he fought Anderson and thought he was a bum and was going to be destroyed. Now all of a sudden he gives Anderson a tough fight and he's now he's Elite? LOL. The truth is Chael is an average to slightly above Average fighter.

Wow way to lose all respect in the MMA section. Beltfort not an MMA legend? Your borderline retarded.

You obviously don't know too much about MMA if you didn't know who Chael was or what he has accomplished. Paulo Fhilo was arguably the best middleweight in the world besides Silva and Chonnen trashed him twice. Not to mention he beat Marquardt who IS an elite fighter. If he's not an elite fighter then I don't know who the **** is. He's the total package. Just because he couldn't beat Silva he hasn't shown himself elite yet? LMAO.

Rich Frankline average? LMAO again. He would be a top 3 middleweight right now but he left because he know's hes Anderson's biitch. Did you forget or do you even know he arguably beat Henderson in their fight???

Anderson just makes the division look horrible because he is so damn good. Go find some other way to troll.

Jack3d
04-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Wow way to lose all respect in the MMA section. Beltfort not an MMA legend? Your borderline retarded.

What has Belfort done to achieve legendary status? He is arguably one of the biggest busts in MMA. He beat the **** out of a few guys during the early UFC's and then lost to Couture. He beat Couture later on in a fluke win by cut and then lost in to Couture again in his next fight.

Belfort has his moments against some decent fighters where he looks good, but he's not a legendary fighter. He's a choke artist. The "old Vitor" shows up once and everybody creams their pants, then he gets dominated and destroyed, and then the "old Vitor" comes back again and the process repeats itself over the course of his career. Belfort is not consistent enough to be considered a legend nor has he done accomplished much to be considered a legend either. Belfort had potential in his early years, but never truly lived up to it.

BTW, it's you're retarded, not your retarded. Learn how to spell.

You obviously don't know too much about MMA if you didn't know who Chael was or what he has accomplished.

Paulo Fhilo was arguably the best middleweight in the world besides Silva and Chonnen trashed him twice.

Paulo Filho was never that good either. You were one of the same people trashing Chael as a bum and nobody before he fought Silva. But because he gave your hero a tough fight, he's now a somebody.

Not to mention he beat Marquardt who IS an elite fighter.

If he's not an elite fighter then I don't know who the **** is. He's the total package. Just because he couldn't beat Silva he hasn't shown himself elite yet? LMAO.

What has Marquardt done to make you think he's elite? He was never elite.

Rich Frankline average? LMAO again. He would be a top 3 middleweight right now but he left because he know's hes Anderson's biitch. Did you forget or do you even know he arguably beat Henderson in their fight???

Franklin is average and always has been. He's good everywhere, not great anywhere, he ruled a MW division when it was at it's lowest point. Franklin is not elite.

Anderson just makes the division look horrible because he is so damn good. Go find some other way to troll.

Anderson is good nobody is denying that he has skills, but his competition compared to some other champions has not been impressive.

Also, what the fuk is it with you pulling the race card all the fuking time? It's fuking old, give it a rest. Just because someone doesn't agree that your hero Anderson is a demi-god doesn't mean they are racist.

$BloodyNate$
04-30-2011, 07:34 PM
What has Belfort done to achieve legendary status? He is arguably one of the biggest busts in MMA. He beat the **** out of a few guys during the early UFC's and then lost to Couture. He beat Couture later on in a fluke win by cut and then lost in to Couture again in his next fight.

Belfort has his moments against some decent fighters where he looks good, but he's not a legendary fighter. He's a choke artist. The "old Vitor" shows up once and everybody creams their pants, then he gets dominated and destroyed, and then the "old Vitor" comes back again and the process repeats itself over the course of his career. Belfort is not consistent enough to be considered a legend nor has he done accomplished much to be considered a legend either. Belfort had potential in his early years, but never truly lived up to it.

BTW, it's you're retarded, not your retarded. Learn how to spell.

Paulo Filho was never that good either. You were one of the same people trashing Chael as a bum and nobody before he fought Silva. But because he gave your hero a tough fight, he's now a somebody.

What has Marquardt done to make you think he's elite? He was never elite.

Franklin is average and always has been. He's good everywhere, not great anywhere, he ruled a MW division when it was at it's lowest point. Franklin is not elite.

Anderson is good nobody is denying that he has skills, but his competition compared to some other champions has not been impressive.

Also, what the fuk is it with you pulling the race card all the fuking time? It's fuking old, give it a rest. Just because someone doesn't agree that your hero Anderson is a demi-god doesn't mean they are racist.

When did I call you a racist? And I only call like 3 people racist. Tunny, Prettyboy/Reason/SILVA whatever he goes by now, and Ellefor/Forza/Zig Zag because all 3 have left racist karma too me. Thats not pulling the race card. if you can name another time I called somebody else a racist feel free to prove it. Tunney is a proven racist on this site. Everybody knows it. If you don't like the klitschko's it's because "your black and just mad a white man is dominating". If Anderson Silva was white this thread wouldn't exist PERIOD.

This thread is absolute nonsense. People that think Anderson is cherry picking GSP are retarded. Strength advantage? Since when the **** does Anderson Silva use strength to win fights? He's a striker who wins with pin point accuracy and technique. It's ****in beautiful. Do you go on other MMA site? People who have followed the sport for years are drooling for this fight and it is in no way shape or form a mismatch IN ANY WAY. Stylistically GSP is Anderson's ****in worst nightmare. GSP is almost as big as ****in Rashad Evans a light heavyweight so don't give me that bull*****. He'll be fine at middleweight.

And Anderson is 36. Who the **** goes up in weight at 36? He killed the whole Light Heavyweight idea with Machida won the title. He hasn't thought about it sense. It has nothing to do with ****in Jon Jones winning the title. He's the middleweight champion who's at the end of his prime. he has nothing to prove by going up in weight. You can see he's lost some speed as Chael dropped him in their fight.

It ridiculous because the only reason people are bringing this up now after having kept their mouth shut for years is because he said he won't fight Jon Jones. Why should he? Jones has only defended his title once. Anderson is 36 and towards the end of the his prime. He has nothing to ****in prove. End of story. The only thing I have left to say to you hating clowns is he's one of the greatest fighters to ever put on the 4 ounce gloves. Besides Fedor's he's the best ever with GSP only shortly behind which is why they have to fight while Silva's prime is ending. DEAL WITH IT.

G A M E
04-30-2011, 09:58 PM
If Anderson Silva is overrated.. damn.. that makes the Klitchkos overrated... real talk

7_rocket
05-02-2011, 02:03 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBVhnABo5E06uwveotU70MjGp3halVN nlOKarQmIuPYwT7WDCC

Spray_resistant
05-02-2011, 02:31 AM
Nah Tunney, he is not overrated at all. He has beaten some very solid comp and has had an out standing run which has be ongoing for several years even if a few of his fights were not the most entertaining.

kristokas
05-02-2011, 05:38 PM
i need to disagree about anderson silvas overrating .. He is not..

ABOSWORTH
05-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Anderson Silva is a great fighter. I totally disagree with that statement.

Amrn4s
05-03-2011, 07:34 AM

Disagree! Anderson Silva worked hard to where he is. He fought tough fighters.

AssasinKing
05-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Silva is the best in the business...without a doubt

GSP is second....

Silva is not overrated AT ALL....thats a joke of a statement

BALLISTIC
05-03-2011, 05:39 PM
LOL overrated is someone like tito ortiz and liddell

LarryXXX
05-04-2011, 07:52 PM
lmfao..dumbest sh1t ive ever heard

LarryXXX
05-04-2011, 07:52 PM
mans fought around the entire world And EARNED his spot

LarryXXX
05-04-2011, 07:55 PM
If Anderson Silva is overrated.. damn.. that makes the Klitchkos overrated... real talk

yepp.lol.........................

Marchegiano
05-04-2011, 10:04 PM
I think the whole p4p best **** is total bull****, but as far as being the best MW MMA has ever seen; thats total truth.

Liaison
05-05-2011, 12:32 AM
I'd agree that he's slightly overrated but he's still an excellent fighter who's suffered from a lack of genuinely good talent in 185 and his lack of inhibition to move to 205. All the GSP talk of him moving to 185 and dismantling Silva on the Interwebs is intriguing but ultimately, for all of GSP's talent, his ability to take you down, handle you standing is futile due to his abiltiy to finish you off. Silva will domite until he comes up against a Lindland style mat guy with a good stand up ala Cung Lee of 3-4 years ago.

He's the bearing standard of 185 whether you like him or not...

$BloodyNate$
05-05-2011, 02:27 AM
I think it's the same thing that happened to Roy Jones. Except I think an Anderson Silva type resume in boxing would have him as a top 50 fighter easily.

Roy spanked James Toney's ass then Toney knew he couldn't beat him so he kept going back up in weight like Franklin and Anderson. Roy spanked Hopkins too then when Roy left the division Hopkins took over. I think Franklin & Henderson would have taken over the division too. Their fight was really close. I honestly had it a draw.

Forrest Griffin might have been an easy style match up for Anderson but Forrest has still always been a top 10 light heavyweight. It's not like he was a terrible low skilled Light Heavyweight champion. The man can fight. He's got excellent ring smarts.

He's obviously greater then GSP. He's had more defenses, more impressive finishes, has lost yet in the UFC even on his worst days and he's beat up a former light heavyweight champion in Forrest Griffin who only a fight earlier was UFC champion. He was a top 3 light heavyweight at the time. GSP wants nothing to do with Anderson. He won't even at least test the waters by maybe fighting Bisping or something because he's a safety first fighter and if he can't win he won't do it.

DeadlyOverhand
05-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Silva is good, but I have him and GSP a tie
I was impressed by Silva's last fight just because I though he was done after the Sonnen fight in which he got dominated in most of the fight if it wasn't for that lucky triangle Silva got Sonnen.

Freedom2014
08-28-2011, 11:01 PM
So Silva beat another bum, and people are saying he's the MMA goat.

:lame:

#1Assassin
08-29-2011, 08:40 AM

this is hilarious, every single point is bull****.

prime rich franklin isnt elite? he was one of the longest reigning champions in ufc history. close to prime henderson isnt elite? one fight removed from losing his pride MW title by razor thin decision to rampage.

vitor belfort isnt elite? and how many fights away from beating rua and rampage was forrest griffin? not that many, top 5 Lt HW no doubt when anderson humiliated him.

and the ufc doesnt handpick easy oponents for anyone, thats one excuse you cant even use. if anderson fought less than top quality fighters its bcuz he cleaned up teh MW division and theres nobody else around. guys like maia and cote were picked especially bcuz even though they are one dimensional if they got anderson into that dimension they could pull of the upset. the ufc always looked for the hardest challenge out there for anderson (like they do for all their champions).

and silva isnt the one whos been talking about a GSP fight, its dana white. anytime GSP or silva get the question they basicly dont adress it. all anderson says is if the UFC wants him to fight GSP and GSP is willing to to move up it would be an honor to fight him and a great event for the fans. he never brings up fighting GSP himself, not once. he just gets asked about it alot.

im intrigued to what kind of advantage it is that he unfairly holds in your view. simply being a better fighter isnt exactly unfair imo. i too would like to see him move up but u cant say a fighter is ducking ppl at a higher weight. why doesnt edgar fight WW? why doesnt GSP fight MW? why doesnt jon jones fight HW? are they all ducking someone and scared to fight "without an advantage"? nonsense.

TBEC2
08-29-2011, 12:35 PM
No matter how you look at it Silva is the greatest 185 lbs fighter that has ever lived.

I mean the rest of the division is weak only because Silva has set the bar so high.

He is far from invincible but the only way i see him losing is from someone coming down in weight or someone moving up in weight.

Id like to see him face shogun or rashad.

Or id love to see nick diaz at 185 and tango with silva, not sure if he'd win but the fight would be fun as hell.

Freedom2014
08-29-2011, 01:05 PM
I mean the rest of the division is weak only because Silva has set the bar so high.

No, the only reason Silva has been doing well is because of the terrible state of the division he fights in.

It's easy to win when your opponents are weak and the talent level is extremely low!

All the people Silva's size who could be top MMA fighters are in other sports such as boxing and soccer.

Cutthroat
08-29-2011, 01:44 PM
No, the only reason Silva has been doing well is because of the terrible state of the division he fights in.

It's easy to win when your opponents are weak and the talent level is extremely low!

All the people Silva's size who could be top MMA fighters are in other sports such as boxing and soccer.

What a ****ing hypocrite, you ***** and cry whenever someone says the exact same thing about the Klitschko's, get the **** outta here you racist whiny *****.

Gojira
08-29-2011, 01:49 PM

:lol1: Oh the irony!

Mohammedini
08-29-2011, 02:10 PM
What a ****ing hypocrite, you ***** and cry whenever someone says the exact same thing about the Klitschko's, get the **** outta here you racist whiny *****.
Tread closed! unbelievable pwned. There is no ****ing excuse you can make to defend Klitsc but bash Anderson silva. You epic Hypocrite. Difference is, Anderson is black and Klitsch Sisters are slavic. I know how East-Europeans hate black people. Weren't you one of those guys saying that clit bro's were the greatest HW's ever ? and that the clits were better then Ali?
Tread closed!

Mohammedini
08-29-2011, 02:26 PM
wild guess, He will not show up in this tread anymore :lol1:

piano man
08-29-2011, 02:31 PM
So Silva beat another bum, and people are saying he's the MMA goat.

:lame:

http://realy-funny.com/pictures/2010/12/Haha-LOL.jpg

Freedom2014
08-29-2011, 03:22 PM
wild guess, He will not show up in this tread anymore :lol1:

It a fact: all the people Silva's size in Argentina, Brazil, France, etc who would be good MMA fighters are playing other sports like soccer.

Silva only wins because the division is weak.

:lol1: Oh the irony!

;)

F l i c k e r
08-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Anderson Silva is simply the best guy out there.

No overrating. He is simply the best. If he'd go back to 205 and wreck Jones/rampage. It's a sealed deal. Someone would have to eat a bag of dicks before even thinking about saying Silva is overrated.

$BloodyNate$
08-29-2011, 04:02 PM
It a fact: all the people Silva's size in Argentina, Brazil, France, etc who would be good MMA fighters are playing other sports like soccer.

Silva only wins because the division is weak.

;)

Dude the same can be said of the klitchskos with all the good big americans playing basketball and football. :weed5:

Far from overrated in my book, #1 easily. GSP keeps blowing it by lackluster fights and is looking more human. Aldo is the truth look out for him. Edgar too if he can get by Maynard.

GreatestIam
08-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Silva dominated 185 the question is can he dominate 205... Evans, Rua, Rampage, Machida, and the king Jones....

Silva skills are prone even better then Jones, but he aint as athletic or unorthodox,, A win over 1-2 of the following and maybe GSP, he could retire the GOAT...

Jack3d
08-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Far from overrated in my book, #1 easily. GSP keeps blowing it by lackluster fights and is looking more human. Aldo is the truth look out for him. Edgar too if he can get by Maynard.

Anderson has looked far more human than GSP and that's just a fact.

GSP has never been dominated in a fight, ever. His finishing ability is rather irrelevant. His opponents rarely ever are able to amount significant offense against him.

At the end of the day as long a streak as Anderson has been on and his finishes, GSP will likely end up retiring with a better resume. GSP has beaten more top competition at a younger age and in a shorter amount of time than anyone and he still has a good 5 years left in him. I'm betting by the time he retires he'll have had at least 8 more title defenses.

Mohammedini
08-29-2011, 07:37 PM

GSP has never been dominated in a fight, ever. His finishing ability is rather irrelevant. His opponents rarely ever are able to amount significant offense against him.

At the end of the day as long a streak as Anderson has been on and his finishes, GSP will likely end up retiring with a better resume. GSP has beaten more top competition at a younger age and in a shorter amount of time than anyone and he still has a good 5 years left in him. I'm betting by the time he retires he'll have had at least 8 more title defenses.
LOOOOL??? you got to be an mma noob if you actually think that. Anderson looked far more human then GSP? What the gsp who tapped to strikes against MAtt Serra? or tapped to an armbar the moment Matt Hughes got it with one sec left of the first round? or the fact that GSp looked absolutly horrible in his last fight against Jake Shields were he got outstruck in the last couple of rounds by a guy with Zero stand-up ability. GSP's last finish was against Bj when Bj's brother threw in the towel. GSP doesn't fight to win. He fights not to lose. Takes no risks. You just exposed yourself as an blind Anderson Silva hater. I have heard all of your arguments and you never give him credit. You find things to criticize but holds GSP up as the gold standard LOOOL. So biased it is unbelievable. Honestly you sound like one of those mma noobs that watched the Chael fight and thought Anderson was a bum. You actually thought Yushin would have won if he "Chael'd" Anderson then you are ****ing stupid. That you actually think that anyone can "chael" Anderson. Also your god Chael was gacked out on roids and A.S had cracked rib and he still got finished :lol1:. Do you actually think that Chael would win a rematch and that he will do even better then the last time with a healthy Anderson? you are nothing but a str8 up hater and you have showed that time after time again

Jack3d
08-29-2011, 07:43 PM
LOOOOL??? you got to be an mma noob if you actually think that. Anderson looked far more human then GSP? What the gsp who tapped to strikes against MAtt Serra? or tapped to an armbar the moment Matt Hughes got it with one sec left of the first round? or the fact that GSp looked absolutly horrible in his last fight against Jake Shields were he got outstruck in the last couple of rounds by a guy with Zero stand-up ability.

Okay so you want to bring up fights that happened over half a decade ago like they are relevant in present day discussion?

I can play that game....

Anderson not only looked human against Chael, he looked human against Travis Lutter who I should mention is an even bigger bum than Serra. He looked human against Chonan (whom he was not beating in that fight) and he got submitted by Takase. If you want to talk about looking human during a career look no further than your hero Anderson Silva who has lost to bums and looked human against fighters much less skilled than himself on more occasions than GSP.

And lol @ you pointing out the first Hughes fight as if Hughes is some kind of can. GSP was green going into that fight and was still beating the shyt out of Hughes up until the submission.

lol....I'm the MMA noob? Take a look in the mirror buddy.

GSP's last finish was against Bj when Bj's brother threw in the towel. GSP doesn't fight to win. He fights not to lose. Takes no risks.

Did I ever deny any of that? No I didn't. GSP does fight not to lose more often these days but that has very little bearing on what he has accomplished.

His resume over the last 6 years is incredible and unlike what anyone has ever done in that amount of time and at that age.

You just exposed yourself as an blind Anderson Silva hater. I have heard all of your arguments and you never give him credit.

It's no secret that I don't care for Anderson. I don't care for his fans even more so. But I have given him credit. He is the #1 P4P fighter and he is a great fighter. Just not otherwordly.

You find things to criticize but holds GSP up as the gold standard LOOOL

GSP has managed to accomplish a lot in a very short period of time. I think that deserves some credit and recognition.

So biased it is unbelievable. Honestly you sound like one of those mma noobs that watched the Chael fight and thought Anderson was a bum.

Not at all, he was simply exposed by a fighter who used a great strategy. The fact that he was using low dose testosterone and Anderson had a cracked rib, is again irrelevant.

There are tons of fighter who fight with injuries, not all of them get beat from pillar to post like that and a lot of fighters use steroids, but to say he only did well because he used steroids is absurd. Steroids don't make you a world class wrestler.

You actually thought Yushin would have won if he "Chael'd" Anderson then you are ****ing stupid. That you actually think that anyone can "chael" Anderson.

Not everyone has the wrestling ability to pull it off, so no.

Do you actually think that Chael would win a rematch and that he will do even better then the last time with a healthy Anderson?

Depends on how hard he's been working on submissions. Would he win if he did? No guarantees but again, he's come closer to doing it that anybody else and it certainly wasn't all because of steroids or an injury.

Jack3d
08-29-2011, 08:08 PM
And please, don't even try to come in here and tell me I post with bias. I have never pledged undying biased allegiance to any fighter around here besides Pele Landi.

Unlike you who has Anderson in his profile pic and shows up into every Anderson related thread to defend your hero and throw out insults if, God forbid, someone has something unflattering to say about him.

Cutthroat
08-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Dude the same can be said of the klitchskos with all the good big americans playing basketball and football. :weed5:

Eh, can't really be compared, because ALL of our best athletes are playing other sports rather than boxing there isn't a single other country like America when it comes to sports. Freedom is probably just trolling trying to get us to see from his POV but he's an idiot lmao.

Nearly every single school in America has sports, most kids don't start boxing until age 13 or older and you usually have to shell out a min. of $30 whereas sports in schools are free. The only time you have to pay for sports is a summer league. We have access to sports facilities/equipment unlike other countries. About 30 kids per football team, split into A and B team means 60 kids playing football for school in middle school, in H.S it's split up A/B Freshman, Junior and then Senior that's over 100+ playersl, about 20-30 kids playing soccer, 20-30 playing basketball, 20+ playing baseball, etc. I didn't even include tennis, track, swimming, etc. So we've literally got hundreds of thousands of our would be boxers playing other sports maybe even a couple mill, Freedom is far too stupid to understand this though. Not to mention how much fame basketball/football/baseball gets in the media.

Freedom, you sir are a dumb ass ;).

Smokin LHook
08-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Just because nobody can challenge him doesn't mean hes overrated. He beats everyone in his path. Ask Shogun if Silva's overrated. anyone that can keep it together for 4.5 rounds after being completely dominated and to come back and win has respect in my book.

Marchegiano
08-29-2011, 09:57 PM
c'mon now boys. there's a bit of truth behind the criticism. MW is the ****tiest division in MMA. Hence my before post stating the whole p4p bull nonsense. Still he's king ****.

MARKBNLV
08-30-2011, 02:47 AM
Once again Tunney is showing how retarded and just downright racist he is. If he was white Tunney would have never made this poll. You just decribed the Klitschko's in your 1st post hahahahaha

Hasn't beat any elite fighters? Are you ****in kidding me? He's just that damn good that he's beaten everybody so nobody looks elite. Vitor Beltfort is an MMA legend and Anderson made him look like a chump. Rich Franklin was the man until Silva was on the scene. He would still be a top 3 middleweight but since Anderson spanked him twice he moved up in weight because he knows e can't beat silva. Marquardt is an elite middleweight. Chael Sonnen is an elite middleweight, former WEC champ who destroyed Paulo Fhilo who at once was a P4P great in the sport.

You just don't know ***** about the sport of MMA. Anderson Silva is 36. Why the **** should he move up in weight again? The ship has already sailed ever since Machida won the title.Especially against an unproven champion who hasn't even defended his title yet. GSP the smaller man? Your just ****in trollin and bein' racist.

Go **** yourself and stay outta the MMA section. Anderson Silva is the greatst fighter to ever step into the ring or cage. Kaps ban this worthless piece of *****.

Why does everyone call Tunney racist ive known the guy for a few years and never saw anything racist from him,the fact that he likes certain white fighters should not matter.

$BloodyNate$
08-30-2011, 05:02 PM

It's debatable because Anderson was never knocked out in 1 round by somebody he was HUGELY favored against. I don't think Anderson has ever been as much as a favorite as GSP was against Serra in that 1st fight. Then the Shields fight he still won but looked very human. It was just a bad performance by him but everybody has them. I still think finishing matters and thats where we both gotta agree to disagree since you have always felt it's irrelevant, but when you can dominate and finish people I think it's speaks alot louder then somebody who dominates in lackluster fashion and doesn't finish.

Why does everyone call Tunney racist ive known the guy for a few years and never saw anything racist from him,the fact that he likes certain white fighters should not matter.

Why do people keep bringing up posts from several months ago and think their relevant now? I don't got no problems with tunney now.

MARKBNLV
08-31-2011, 04:38 AM
It's debatable because Anderson was never knocked out in 1 round by somebody he was HUGELY favored against. I don't think Anderson has ever been as much as a favorite as GSP was against Serra in that 1st fight. Then the Shields fight he still won but looked very human. It was just a bad performance by him but everybody has them. I still think finishing matters and thats where we both gotta agree to disagree since you have always felt it's irrelevant, but when you can dominate and finish people I think it's speaks alot louder then somebody who dominates in lackluster fashion and doesn't finish.

Why do people keep bringing up posts from several months ago and think their relevant now? I don't got no problems with tunney now.

I was just reading through the thread,things do not move very fast in here.

Left2theliver
08-31-2011, 09:14 PM
Well, based off his opponents he's fought since the UFC...

Chris Leben - was still green, but had a few good wins under his belt. Yeah, I'll give ya that one...

Rich Franklin- the champ at the time, depending on ywho you ask he was either the #1 guy at 185 or an east top 3. VERY legit!

Travis Lutter- eh, got a title shot because of the show. Nothing too amazing.

Nate Marquart- Beat a top middleweight Ivan Salaverry in his debut, which launched him in the top 10, then got a few more good wins over solid guys to keep his place there. Legit.

Rich Franklin- Still a top 5 contender, who was coming off a two fight win streak against up and comer Jason Macdonald, AND top 10 ranked Yushin Okami. Still legit.

Dan Henderson- ranked #2 right under Anderson, the current PRIDE middleweight champ. Definitely legit.

James Irvin- eh, a decent guy at 205, nothing special

Patrick Cote- Nothing too amazing, BUT he was coming off a big winning streak and was ranked in the top 10. So, legit.

Thales Leites- same as cote.

Forrest Griffin- Former UFC 205lb champ and top 5 ranked light heavyweight at the time, but couldn't even last 1 round with Anderson. VERY legit.

Demian Maia- top 5 ranked middleweight. Stylistically, Anderson was a horrible match up for him, BUT he's still one of the best middleweights around and definitely has some of the best BJJ in the division. Definitely legit.

Chael Sonnen- took out Marquart and Okami with ease, two guys who were easy top 5 opponents at the time. The guy was easily a top 3, if not #2 ranked middleweight at the time and gave Anderson hell. Definitely a legitimate win.

Vitor Belfort- Top 5 ranked, no doubt. And Anderson kicked him in the face midway through round 1. Definitely legit.

Yushin Okami- Easy top 3, no doubt. Anderson made quick work of him, but you can't deny that Okami is one of the top elite middleweights in the sport.

Let's not forget the guys he beat BEFORE the UFC too. Guys like Lee Murray, Jorge Rivera, and Tony Fryklund.

So, is he overrated? Based on his competition, no. Overhyped? Quite possibly. But those are two completely different things.

Left2theliver
08-31-2011, 09:21 PM
As for the GSP vs. Anderson for p4p #1 debate. If you wanna go by rankings. Since coming to the UFC GSP has beaten 11 guys who were ranked in the top 10 as opposed to Silva's 10. BUT, with that being said, Anderson HAS moved up in weight to beat a guy who was highly ranked at light heavyweight. You could sit there and say that GSP hasn't finished a fight in a while so Anderson > GSP because he finishes fights. But that wouldn't be the fiarest assessment, considering their style differences and the type of competition that they have to deal with in their respective divisions. I'm not saying that one guy should be ranked higher than the other on the p4p list, but that you have to take into consideration all the variables that go into it. GSP won the title, then lost it in his first defense, only to come back after 2 fights anf win it back. Whereas Anderson has won the title and came CLOSE to losing it, but still retained it. I guess you could possibly use that???

Freedom2014
08-31-2011, 09:39 PM
So, is he overrated? Based on his competition, no. Overhyped? Quite possibly. But those are two completely different things.

Those guys were only ranked highly because the division is so weak. None of them were bona-fide elite MMA fighters.

Most of the people that who would be top MMA fighters in Silva's weight division are in other sports like football (soccer).

Money Shot
08-31-2011, 10:28 PM
He didn't prove anything by toasting some C class Japanese guy for sure.

Stalaggh
08-31-2011, 10:50 PM

Anderson was pretty favorite to win against Takase and Chonan. As for the finishing/dominating, yeah some will take finishing and base their pick on that but at the same time, GSP dominates opponents with such ease that it makes them look like amateurs. He dominated Koscheck standing up, Kos thinks he's a striker now so he beat him there. He dominated Fitch with some striking and then wrestling. He owned BJ Penn everywhere, he had some moments against Shields but mainly dominated him wrestling too. He beats his opponents with the same things they are mostly dominating with. Anderson has great striking ability and most of his opponents don't have that luxury, they are maybe good at wrestling or BJJ but they get taken apart in striking so easy, they're one dimensional if you can call them that. Lutter, Maia, Cote, Okami, Sonnen, Leites, Griffin. That Griffin is such a catcher fighting that it was actually bread and butter to just showcase and exploit Silva.

Left2theliver
08-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Those guys were only ranked highly because the division is so weak. None of them were bona-fide elite MMA fighters.

Most of the people that who would be top MMA fighters in Silva's weight division are in other sports like football (soccer).

Belfort, Henderson, Franklin, Okami, Marquart, and Sonnen have all proven themselves to be top tier, elite fighters in the middleweight division. Trying to discredit them because you assume that a bunch of guys in another sport WOULD be better fighters is ridiculous...

BALLISTIC
09-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Belfort, Henderson, Franklin, Okami, Marquart, and Sonnen have all proven themselves to be top tier, elite fighters in the middleweight division. Trying to discredit them because you assume that a bunch of guys in another sport WOULD be better fighters is ridiculous...

u forgot irwin and griffin

i doubt GSP would beat belfort or okami or hendo

if gsp vs silva ever happaned i would take any bet..gsp gets KOd by silva

Jack3d
09-01-2011, 07:14 PM
u forgot irwin and griffin

It's Irvin not Irwin. And the guy is a bum.

i doubt GSP would beat belfort or okami or hendo

He'd beat all 3. Not even joking by decision most likely, but he'd definitely beat them.

if gsp vs silva ever happaned i would take any bet..gsp gets KOd by silva

Debatable. It would be a tough fight for both.

-KPB-
09-03-2011, 12:36 PM

I know what your trying to say here, but its a terrible effort. First off, tell me a time period when these "people" were dominating the divison that Silva dominates. Since UFC began, Silvas weight class has always been dominated by Americans, Brazilians (who are the best soccer nation ever, funnily enough), Canadians and some eastern europeans (who also play soccer)

Please tell me a time period in ALL of MMA where nations who play Soccer as their number 1 sport have dominated MMA and then their participation has declined as a result of soccer getting bigger.......

I'll wait......

Marchegiano
09-05-2011, 09:46 AM
I know what your trying to say here, but its a terrible effort. First off, tell me a time period when these "people" were dominating the divison that Silva dominates. Since UFC began, Silvas weight class has always been dominated by Americans, Brazilians (who are the best soccer nation ever, funnily enough), Canadians and some eastern europeans (who also play soccer)

Please tell me a time period in ALL of MMA where nations who play Soccer as their number 1 sport have dominated MMA and then their participation has declined as a result of soccer getting bigger.......

I'll wait......

nah, bro, you've missed the point indeed. It's a hypothetical. Why would you, with that foot-baller's body, get paid just a couple grand to defend a belt when you can just play football and make millions, not get hurt as much, and be more famous, and more admired? The only answers are " no good a football" or "passion for the AOF" there is NO good platonic reason for a footballer to enter MMA. MW is prime footballing.

Of course it could be me who's mistaken. I'm American, and honestly don't have a clue what the average soccer player is shaped like, but I can tell you this. You won't see a whole lot of American Football line-men in MMA's SHW division. Even the ones who think of themselves as particularly tough see that as a rather useless waste considering they'll make more money for 10 min appearance on a day time talk show. Which leads me to believe Freedom's got a point.

The Klitschko's aren't rated p4p....to who ever paralleled....They're on top of a division they've down right owned for years. Same is true for Anderson, yes, but the whole p4p rating is nonsense. They're king ****s. Highest **** in the **** pile. Crown turd. In MMA that's enough to be p4p greatest....boxing takes a bit of proving skills. Klitschko's arn't p4p cause at 160'ish they'd get ****ed. Plus a 220lb Floyd jr would be a hell of a HW...just saying.