View Full Version : Roy Jones recent training

cantbestopped
04-28-2011, 07:13 PM
I am new to boxing and just started shadowboxing, in this video jones is shadowboxing but he is shadowboxing to the beats of the music, not going for power or anything, is this how shadowboxing should be for beginners or is this for advance boxers?

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S2Fi-owxx44" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maxgaggi
04-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Usually pro fighters shadow boxing is light, as they stress their body so much during physical training. Thereīs no need to push it that much during shadow boxing. So what they do is imagine a "slower" and more relaxed version of his opponent infront of them and work more on vision, foot movement and technique. Many of them donīt even throwgh punches out properly almost as a mimic of the actual punch.
During your shadow boxing workout I would go harder than they do, as you will be using it as a cardio training at your level, same for me as Iīm an amateur.

cantbestopped
04-29-2011, 01:37 AM
hi good reply, if I do the same routine but with light dumbells like 3 pounder would that work? I tried it and after few rounds ai felt a burn because im not used to doing it im new to boxing training

TheHolyCross
04-29-2011, 04:38 AM
he's working on footwork in that video and it's definitely a beginner thing, this is how you shadowbox
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JbRykf-5Zo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rockymarciano1
04-29-2011, 06:34 AM
hi good reply, if I do the same routine but with light dumbells like 3 pounder would that work? I tried it and after few rounds ai felt a burn because im not used to doing it im new to boxing training

I heard that using dumbells while shadow boxing cans damage your rotator cuffs and possibly tear ligaments. Resistance bands would probably be the safer Option, or wear gloves while shadow boxing.

The Boxing Snob
04-29-2011, 11:02 AM
he's working on footwork in that video and it's definitely a beginner thing, this is how you shadowbox
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JbRykf-5Zo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>Roy Jones is the closet thing that the human race has come to creating a real life super hero.

lyrical
04-29-2011, 11:15 AM
i love this video, I miss the real Roy

Maxgaggi
04-29-2011, 02:43 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JbRykf-5Zo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I donīt agree, I think a beginner has to define well his punches and move at real fight-speed when shadow boxing, unless you do a killer work out and u use shadow boxing as a cooling down exercise.

cantbestopped
04-29-2011, 03:34 PM
I also heard about dumbbells for shadowboxing can cause injury, but if you aren't extending your punches and just going slow and to the beat like roy jones is and just concentrating on footwork and light punches then using 3 lb dumbbells is ok isnt it? after alternating rounds with and without dumbbells it definitely gives a good workout after 5-6 rounds and the arms begin to burn

TheHolyCross
04-29-2011, 04:48 PM
I donīt agree, I think a beginner has to define well his punches and move at real fight-speed when shadow boxing, unless you do a killer work out and u use shadow boxing as a cooling down exercise.

that's what im suggesting with the video

RAV3N
04-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Roy Jones is the closet thing that the human race has come to creating a real life super hero.

well PEDs will do that for you ;)

TheHolyCross
04-30-2011, 12:42 PM
well PEDs will do that for you ;)

ped's will improve your kinesthetic intelligence?
you cant be this stupid right? why is no one else anywhere near in comparison despite the sport being filled to the brim with steroid abusers

RAV3N
05-01-2011, 10:21 AM
ped's will improve your kinesthetic intelligence?
you cant be this stupid right? why is no one else anywhere near in comparison despite the sport being filled to the brim with steroid abusers

Nope, PEDs can improve your strength and speed though.

You act like RJJ is a god, didnt he get ktfo by tarver, what happened to his super kinesthetic magic intelligence then.

I laugh at RJJ fans still worshipping him, you must be a Marian Jones fan too lmao.

New England
05-01-2011, 10:30 AM

You act like RJJ is a god, didnt he get ktfo by tarver, what happened to his super kinesthetic magic intelligence then.

I laugh at RJJ fans still worshipping him, you must be a Marian Jones fan too lmao.

the mind in boxing always moves faster than the body

steroids wouldnt have done anything for roy's reactions, who reacted intelligently and effectively as fast as any man who has ever boxed

RAV3N
05-01-2011, 10:54 AM
the mind in boxing always moves faster than the body

steroids wouldnt have done anything for roy's reactions, who reacted intelligently and effectively as fast as any man who has ever boxed

Well then his mind must of really slowed down in the end of his career but it wasnt, it was his body imo (im not saying he didnt have good reflexes).

I am a firm believer that if you are caught using PEDs all your titles, achievements and respect should be removed and your legacy is nothing in the sport.

Its like saying Marion Jones had great reflexes at the start of the race so she should still be credited all her gold medals because PEDs dont give you better reaction times.

TheHolyCross
05-01-2011, 11:20 AM

you obviously dont know what kinesthetic intelligence is, it has nothing to do with speed or power, it's how co-ordinated a persons body is, the movements jones can make, the way he throws his punches is that of a kinesthetic genius

you know how you can't throw a punch worth sht? you got that retarded wide hooking arm punch technique instead of being able to put your whole body behind it? it's cuz you're a kinesthetic moron, you need to study and practice, jones, like a natural athlete, it comes as common sense

PED's has nothing to do with that, he's just as fast now as ever, except his legs aren't what they once were and neither are his reflexes

RAV3N
05-01-2011, 11:30 AM
you obviously dont know what kinesthetic intelligence is, it has nothing to do with speed or power, it's how co-ordinated a persons body is, the movements jones can make, the way he throws his punches is that of a kinesthetic genius

you know how you can't throw a punch worth sht? you got that retarded wide hooking arm punch technique instead of being able to put your whole body behind it? it's cuz you're a kinesthetic moron, you need to study and practice, jones, like a natural athlete, it comes as common sense

PED's has nothing to do with that, he's just as fast now as ever, except his legs aren't what they once were and neither are his reflexes

Well I like like how you make assumtions about me without even knowing me.

Kinesthetics is just a theory, it isnt actually fact, so keep believing in your fairytales about RJJ, cold hard facts is he is a PED user, so he is just a drugged up cheat in my books.

I like how you said Jones is 'like a natural athlete' because he isnt a natural athlete.

TheHolyCross
05-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Well I like like how you make assumtions about me without even knowing me.

Kinesthetics is just a theory, it isnt actually fact, so keep believing in your fairytales about RJJ, cold hard facts is he is a PED user, so he is just a drugged up cheat in my books.

I like how you said Jones is 'like a natural athlete' because he isnt a natural athlete.
what you think athlete is? speed and power? athleticism is an intelligence, if it was speed and power ali, jones and mayweather would be the biggest hitters in the sport, but they aren't, why? because they are just body smart, they know how to use their bodies and thus are faster than normal, unlike the average person like you, it doesn't make them stronger or hit harder(tho speed helps)

ped's has nothin to do with it, and im not denying roy was on ped's, no matter how much ped's you inject up your abused ass.hole will make you fight like him, it's all technique there boy, get over it

RAV3N
05-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Tell me then if Manny tested positive then would you still say its all technique boy? I bet not.

And if RJJ had sound boxing technique he wouldnt of been getting his ass handed to him in the later years.

TheHolyCross
05-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Tell me then if Manny tested positive then would you still say its all technique boy? I bet not.

And if RJJ had sound boxing technique he wouldnt of been getting his ass handed to him in the later years.

now your dumb ass is getting boxing fundamentals mixed up with technique, what roy is suppossedly missing, is hands up, jabbing etc idiot

nachorjj
05-01-2011, 12:34 PM
This is not recent. I see this in 2008 or 2009

RAV3N
05-01-2011, 12:53 PM
now your dumb ass is getting boxing fundamentals mixed up with technique, what roy is suppossedly missing, is hands up, jabbing etc idiot

So having basic defencive techniques is not a technique any more?

I think you have athleticism mixed up with boxing/sport smarts.

Also you reply like a loud mouth 13 yo kid who thinks he knows everything.

TheHolyCross
05-01-2011, 01:17 PM
So having basic defencive techniques is not a technique any more?

I think you have athleticism mixed up with boxing/sport smarts.

Also you reply like a loud mouth 13 yo kid who thinks he knows everything.
you really are slow
im taking by boxing smarts you mean reading fighters that analyze the situations like marquez, mayweather, hopkins but no, that's not what i mean, stupid

Pele..Rjj..23
05-01-2011, 01:59 PM
i love this video, I miss the real Roy

same here bro

cantbestopped
05-02-2011, 05:05 AM
so it is ok to do the slow shadowboxing to the beat with dumbbells for beginners like in the video?

RAV3N
05-02-2011, 10:03 AM
you really are slow
im taking by boxing smarts you mean reading fighters that analyze the situations like marquez, mayweather, hopkins but no, that's not what i mean, stupid

Boxing smarts, reflexes, ring experience, muscle memory, physical conditioning and mental state (could be missing a couple of things but I could go on forever) all combine together to make a good fighter, not some stupid thing you read on the wiki which you think makes you smart.

PEDs help physical conditioning which in turn gives the user a unfair advantage but if you cant see that because you hug RJJ's nuts then you are the one with the problem not me.

TheHolyCross
05-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Boxing smarts, reflexes, ring experience, muscle memory, physical conditioning and mental state (could be missing a couple of things but I could go on forever) all combine together to make a good fighter, not some stupid thing you read on the wiki which you think makes you smart.

PEDs help physical conditioning which in turn gives the user a unfair advantage but if you cant see that because you hug RJJ's nuts then you are the one with the problem not me.

funny how you ignore: ped's has nothin to do with it, and im not denying roy was on ped's, no matter how much ped's you inject up your abused ass.hole will make you fight like him, it's all technique there boy, get over it

im not talking about how good of a fighter he is, im talking about how good of an athlete he is, and by athlete i mean his natural sense of position and technique for optimum power in his punches, even his footwork, it's instinctual
PED's can help your stamina, make you hit harder, maybe even punch faster, but it doesn't help your technique, do you know what punch technique is stupid?

other fighters have taken PED's, how many have fought like roy jones? stop acting so stupid, atleast for your sake i hope it's an act
roy and mayweather aren't the only people to have started boxing at a young age(in roy's case, he started at 10)

RAV3N
05-03-2011, 04:31 AM
funny how you ignore:

im not talking about how good of a fighter he is, im talking about how good of an athlete he is, and by athlete i mean his natural sense of position and technique for optimum power in his punches, even his footwork, it's instinctual
PED's can help your stamina, make you hit harder, maybe even punch faster, but it doesn't help your technique, do you know what punch technique is stupid?

other fighters have taken PED's, how many have fought like roy jones? stop acting so stupid, atleast for your sake i hope it's an act
roy and mayweather aren't the only people to have started boxing at a young age(in roy's case, he started at 10)

Isnt this just muscle memory, training and ring experience?

Obviously not everyone can attain the same skill level, its the same with any human in anything.

But I think you find that boxers who were raised in a boxing family and taught since a very early age (Mayweather was boxing when he could walk pretty much and RJJ's father had a boxing gym) then you tend to be pretty good.

I bet you if you started something at the age of 4 then you should be bloody good at it when you get older.

So let me just ask that if a athlete takes PEDs it shouldnt tarnish their time spent in the sport because their technique is great?

TheHolyCross
05-03-2011, 04:45 AM
Isnt this just muscle memory, training and ring experience?
no it's not, some people already know how to move for optimum leverage on just about every sport, when people like roy jones first attempted boxing, there's no need to even teach them the proper way to throw a punch, they'll know, it's called being body smart

Obviously not everyone can attain the same skill level, its the same with any human in anything.

But I think you find that boxers who were raised in a boxing family and taught since a very early age (Mayweather was boxing when he could walk pretty much and RJJ's father had a boxing gym) then you tend to be pretty good.

I bet you if you started something at the age of 4 then you should be bloody good at it when you get older.

hopkins started boxing about 5 years before roy jones, won his first tournament at 9 years of age, where as roy had his first fight at 10, why is'nt he more/as athletic is jones?

So let me just ask that if a athlete takes PEDs it shouldnt tarnish their time spent in the sport because their technique is great?

i dont care for legacy's, PED's or not, you're not fighting like roy jones, is all im saying

RAV3N
05-03-2011, 05:11 AM
no it's not, some people already know how to move for optimum leverage on just about every sport, when people like roy jones first attempted boxing, there's no need to even teach them the proper way to throw a punch, they'll know, it's called being body smart

hopkins started boxing about 5 years before roy jones, won his first tournament at 9 years of age, where as roy had his first fight at 10, why is'nt he more/as athletic is jones?

i dont care for legacy's, PED's or not, you're not fighting like roy jones, is all im saying

Im pretty sure that RJJ didnt throw a perfect punch straight away once he started boxing, he must of been taught the correct techniques in the first place.

Althletic ability has alot to do with genetics as well, like I said not all people can attain the same level in everything, your genetic makeup will have bearing on all things that you can do.

But on the other hand Hopkins is technically a much better boxer then RJJ because he learnt all the right techniques and doesnt have bad habits like RJJ because Hopkins couldnt rely on a really high athletic ability like RJJ could.

Im not denying that RJJ had great athletic ability amongst other things but I think he lost alot of respect when he tested positive for PEDs. Especially with his natural ablity did he really need to?

TheHolyCross
05-03-2011, 05:30 AM
Im pretty sure that RJJ didnt throw a perfect punch straight away once he started boxing, he must of been taught the correct techniques in the first place.

Althletic ability has alot to do with genetics as well, like I said not all people can attain the same level in everything, your genetic makeup will have bearing on all things that you can do.

But on the other hand Hopkins is technically a much better boxer then RJJ because he learnt all the right techniques and doesnt have bad habits like RJJ because Hopkins couldnt rely on a really high athletic ability like RJJ could.

Im not denying that RJJ had great athletic ability amongst other things but I think he lost alot of respect when he tested positive for PEDs. Especially with his natural ablity did he really need to?

you're not the most athletic fellow are you? he knew, you think he was thought how to throw a proper leaping left hook?

how often have you heard "you can't teach what roy jones does"

it's genetics, i agree with you there, but it's not the body it's the brain, the way your muscles are shaped is the way you move
it's not that his body is better, it's that his brain is quick to send signals and he can feel the weight, positioning etc of his movements and adjust for the best results and put power where he wants

that's why you always see athleticism correlated with reflexes

RAV3N
05-03-2011, 05:54 AM
you're not the most athletic fellow are you? he knew, you think he was thought how to throw a proper leaping left hook?

how often have you heard "you can't teach what roy jones does"

it's genetics, i agree with you there, but it's not the body it's the brain, the way your muscles are shaped is the way you move
it's not that his body is better, it's that his brain is quick to send signals and he can feel the weight, positioning etc of his movements and adjust for the best results and put power where he wants

that's why you always see athleticism correlated with reflexes

Im not too bad fyi ;)

Technically a leaping left hook isnt the best punch throw as you your feet arent set while you leave yourself open, so I would agree it probably isnt a punch taught in many boxing gyms.

You cant be taught to have great athletisim, it is a natural gift.

Athleticism is your body while reflexes come from the mind and RJJ had both but my point is that PEDs will help with your conditioning and in turn adding to your athletic ability.

TheHolyCross
05-03-2011, 06:12 AM
Im not too bad fyi ;)

Technically a leaping left hook isnt the best punch throw as you your feet arent set while you leave yourself open, so I would agree it probably isnt a punch taught in many boxing gyms.

You cant be taught to have great athletisim, it is a natural gift.

Athleticism is your body while reflexes come from the mind and RJJ had both but my point is that PEDs will help with your conditioning and in turn adding to your athletic ability.
not really, it's the same as every other punch(if you got the technique down to a tee), quickly step foward and throw it, it's not so much a leap as it is a long stride