View Full Version : ross

abidi
09-22-2005, 09:01 AM
hello everybody!has anybody tried any book of ross from the rossboxing.com? i was thinking to bought one of the book.
i le be glad of any anwser "!
keep puncing :boxing:

spinksjinx
09-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Ross is a decent trainer who gives good advice but when it comes down to it he is very basic and offers nothing that isnt already known. Save your cash

abidi
09-22-2005, 12:07 PM
thanks for the anwser. what do you think about his fitnes exercises and workout routines??

spinksjinx
09-22-2005, 01:21 PM
thanks for the anwser. what do you think about his fitnes exercises and workout routines??

Their decent workouts but nothing that I havent seen or heard of before. He does have some good techiniques but they are very basic.

tebe6sm
09-22-2005, 03:05 PM
i got ultimate training for the ultimate warrior and I think it's awesome. There's not exactly basic stuff in there, I had never heard of half the stuff before. I think it's a good use of money if you plan to use it and implement it in your training. I've definitely seen some improvements in my strength and conditioning.

PunchDrunk
09-22-2005, 04:00 PM
I have "Punching with power", and "The boxer's guide to performance enhancement". I think they're pretty good. I found it to be pretty basic, but judging from some of the threads on training on this forum, a lot of the stuff would be new to a lot of people here.
I would suggest a few other books like "Essentials of strength training and conditioning" by Baechle & Earle, and "Periodization training for sports" by Tudor Bompa, if you really want to know more about training theory.

iwagh911
09-22-2005, 06:26 PM
Eh...

I would argue that although he does teach some of the fundamentals, I would not say it's like, "basic". Many of the people in this forum coudn't handle most of the challenges in those books. It's good for beginners and advanced boxers - Just my 2cens though.

spinksjinx
09-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Eh...

I would argue that although he does teach some of the fundamentals, I would not say it's like, "basic". Many of the people in this forum coudn't handle most of the challenges in those books. It's good for beginners and advanced boxers - Just my 2cens though.

He teaches nothing that you wont learn from actually having a trainer, I have better uses for my money personally.

Pugnacious_Z
09-23-2005, 12:29 AM
hey punchdrunk, "Punching with Power". did u do the exercises and did it increase ur force?

ShotgunSeanK
09-23-2005, 03:39 AM
from what i read in his forums, he comes across as arrogant.

PunchDrunk
09-23-2005, 06:09 AM
hey punchdrunk, "Punching with Power". did u do the exercises and did it increase ur force?

I've dabbled with some of the stuff in there. I haven't done the exact program though. I mostly bought it out of curiosity, because it's one of the only products of it's kind out there. I wanted to see how other people would do it. My personal opinion is that you need an INDIVIDUALIZED program, therefore Punching for power should only be used as a general guideline, and a source of inspiration (if you need inspiration, that is). :)

BigDozer260
09-23-2005, 10:17 PM
I have "Punching with power", and "The boxer's guide to performance enhancement". I think they're pretty good. I found it to be pretty basic, but judging from some of the threads on training on this forum, a lot of the stuff would be new to a lot of people here.
I would suggest a few other books like "Essentials of strength training and conditioning" by Baechle & Earle, and "Periodization training for sports" by Tudor Bompa, if you really want to know more about training theory.Don't suggest anything from Bompa....You don't want to scare them away from strength training! That is rather scientific in wording and methods, and I think that's more for advanced knowledge in fitness. His book is a part of advanced human kinetics training course, that lets you know it's not for beginners, plus all of the scientific jargon is only tolerable if you really love fitness as I do. Truthfully I don't think anything will be simple reading material because it's all bout the body's functions and reactions to the stress of training. All I can say is be patient of just hire somebody.....LIKE ME!!!

jason100x
10-31-2006, 03:51 PM
Since Never Gymless and Infinite Intensity have been coming up quite a bit here lately, I came across this old thread about Ross and his books. The ones discussed in this thread are out of print. I have The Boxers Guide To Performance Enhancement, but not Punching For Power (I think that was an e-book only) or Ultimate Training For The Ultimate Warrior (which I think I remember as being an early version of Never Gymless).

NJFighter91
10-31-2006, 04:53 PM
i have never gymless and its good. its not like "OMG, the best ever and what would i do without it" but its the best book for $30 compared to other crap in stores and online for training

KingDosia
10-31-2006, 05:06 PM
from what i read in his forums, he comes across as arrogant.

He does, Like he's gods gift to the sport. He's just that type.

I think the books are a pretty good resource tool for a fighter, Im not sure about the punching w/power book it may be more basic than the others. I like the drills in infinite intensity, Never gymless was kinda basic, a lot of sports will use the same drills and theories. Ross has a great program, and has put together a lot of information from various works on training, You could learn a lot from his training books. I don't know much about any of his work on boxing as far as skills and form.

KingDosia
10-31-2006, 05:11 PM
I've dabbled with some of the stuff in there. I haven't done the exact program though. I mostly bought it out of curiosity, because it's one of the only products of it's kind out there. I wanted to see how other people would do it. My personal opinion is that you need an INDIVIDUALIZED program, therefore Punching for power should only be used as a general guideline, and a source of inspiration (if you need inspiration, that is). :)

A good point, I think at some point he makes reference to that very fact. It's always helpfull to gain as much knowledge as possible, from as many venues as you can. But a book will never compare to a well educated trainer who can as Punch states INDIVIDUALIZE your training. These books contain no secret reciepe for success. Reading them and following there drills probably wont win fights for you.