View Full Version : Tyson vs Lewis '96...

Pastrano
04-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Shame this fight never happened. I think we would see a much better fight than the one we got to see six years later, that was a sad spectacle. I wonder WHY Mike didn't want to fight Lennox?! He was seemingly brimming with confidence and looked hungry after his comeback and Lewis was at his best. Maybe Mike wasn't at his best anymore, but he sure was a whole lot closer to it than in 2002!

So anyway, who do you think woulda won if they fought in 1996? I think Mike would have a fair chance, after all Lewis did take a lot of shots from Mercer that same year and even tho he got the decision (which everybody else said was a draw) and looked alright, Mercer showed to everybody that he was far from unbeatable. EVEN with Manny Steward in his corner.

bojangles1987
04-27-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm pretty sure it would have gone pretty much the same. Tyson was a shell of himself in 96 too.

Barn
04-27-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm pretty sure it would have gone pretty much the same. Tyson was a shell of himself in 96 too.
End thread.

Pastrano
04-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Why, because he lost to a prime Holyfield, who was prolly steroid-enhanced as well?!?
End thread.
Piss off.:rolleyes:

Barn
04-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Why, because he lost to a prime Holyfield, who was prolly steroid-enhanced as well?!?

lol u mad br0?

Pastrano
04-27-2011, 11:52 AM
lol u mad br0?

Stop playing ****y. You don't say end thread in MY thread, capisce? I say when it should end.

Barn
04-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Stop playing ****y. You don't say end thread in MY thread, capisce? I say when it should end.
yep he's mad

Vadrigar.
04-27-2011, 12:24 PM

Who's ALT are you?

Vadrigar.
04-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Holyfield was from for the Bowe/Foreman fights, NO he was not prime for Tyson.

Pastrano
04-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Holyfield was from for the Bowe fights, NO he was not prime for Tyson.

Right...he wasn't prime, yet he beat Moorer easily a YEAR after the first Tyson fight??Suuure...

Scott9945
04-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Right...he wasn't prime, yet he beat Moorer easily a YEAR after the first Tyson fight??Suuure...

Moorer was in terrible shape for the second Holyfield fight. He gassed out after about three rounds.

Pastrano
04-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Moorer was in terrible shape for the second Holyfield fight. He gassed out after about three rounds.

DOESNT MATTER. Moorer was still 5 years younger and was defending the IBF title, he got off to a good start in my eyes. Holy was just on fire that night, so DON'T YOU take it away!

Scott9945
04-27-2011, 12:36 PM
DOESNT MATTER. Moorer was still 5 years younger and was defending the IBF title, he got off to a good start in my eyes. Holy was just on fire that night, so DON'T YOU take it away!

Yeah, it doesn't matter that Moorer showed up for a heavyweight title fight with a POT BELLY.

Holtol
04-27-2011, 12:57 PM

I think it would have gone a lot different, Lewis still might win but Tyson was a lot better fighter in 96.

Thread starter has a good point if Lewis gets hit by Tyson at the same frequency as he did by Mercer he is getting knocked out.

The_Demon
04-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Id imagine Lewis too win in a similar fashion,the only version of Tyson that troubles LL is the late 80's Tyson

Holtol
04-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Here is some video of what Mercer was able to do to Lewis in case some of you have forgot. If Tyson gets that kind of opportunity there is a strong chance for a knock out.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w5dmI7_n-Jc?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w5dmI7_n-Jc?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Pastrano
04-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Tyson was faster than Mercer on his feet and carried just as devastating, perhaps even more devastating, punch. I reckon if he had Lewis in same kind of situation, it would be lights out for Lewis.

$BloodyNate$
04-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Holyfield is not prime when he beat Tyson, that is ridiculous. His style just matched up well with Tyson, end of story.(And it's my story so it will end whenever I the **** I WANT IT TOO! :weed2:)

Lewis didn't want none of Tyson. Tyson would have sparked him out.

Pastrano
04-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Holyfield is not prime when he beat Tyson, that is ridiculous. His style just matched up well with Tyson, end of story.(And it's my story so it will end whenever I the **** I WANT IT TOO! :weed2:)

Lewis didn't want none of Tyson. Tyson would have sparked him out.

But the bastard somehow got to claim Bowe and Tyson were scared of HIM!:rofl: What a laugh!

CarlosG815
04-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Mike Tyson would have knocked him out without much of a problem.

mickey malone
04-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Tyson lost his prime in prison which was pre 96 but i agree he was still a force to be reckoned with and considerably better than when he actually did fight Lewis. His two best wins around this time were blowouts over Bruno and Seldon with both opponents folding out of fear for the 'old' Tyson more than anything else. Seldon, to his shame, took to the canvas as soon as Mike missed him with a wild shot lol.
I think his first fight with a near best Holyfield which took place towards the end of 96 proves indeed he would have stood a chance with Lewis. As for beating him, well it's doubtfull but i'm pretty sure we'd be discussing a completely different fight to the one they had in 2002. A 96 fight between Tyson and Mercer would've been good too.

fight_professor
04-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Mike went for the supposedly easier Holyfield fight. As for the result, Mike of 1996 still had some pop. I'd back him to KO Lewis within 6.

Pastrano
04-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Mike went for the supposedly easier Holyfield fight. As for the result, Mike of 1996 still had some pop. I'd back him to KO Lewis within 6.

Yea, he screwed himself on that assumption.:lol1: He didn't count with Holy's incredible resilience, warrior spirit and also incredible build, which might have been supplemented by illegal stuff.

physiker
04-28-2011, 11:54 AM
A 96 Tyson certainly would have done better than the 2002 version. Probably the same result but would have gone the distance.

Never forget that Tyson himself said he was not the same after the Douglas loss. He basically said he was just going through the motions after that.

So maybe a better question of what a pre-Douglas Tyson would have done to Lewis? I think he likely would have won.

And if you say Lewis was not yet prime at that time, remember Lewis is a year or so older than Tyson. But apparently took much longer to mature--or did he just wait till his toughest competition was shot?

Pastrano
04-28-2011, 11:56 AM
A 96 Tyson certainly would have done better than the 2002 version. Probably the same result but would have gone the distance.

Never forget that Tyson himself said he was not the same after the Douglas loss. He basically said he was just going through the motions after that.

So maybe a better question of what a pre-Douglas Tyson would have done to Lewis? I think he likely would have won.

And if you say Lewis was not yet prime at that time, remember Lewis is a year or so older than Tyson. But apparently took much longer to mature--or did he just wait till his toughest competition was shot?

Lewis was born 2nd September '65, Tyson 30th June 1966, so Lewis is less than a year older. I think Lewis as a boxer developed greatly after the McCall loss, when Steward took him in and started teaching him how to box. Before that, Lewis was a decent but unpolished boxer who preferred just slugging it out rather than boxing.

Joeyzagz
04-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Lennox beats any version of Mike Tyson 8/10.

Prime Mike was way too easy to tie up...Tony Tucker had a broken right hand and had no problem neutralizing Mike for 12 rounds.

Lennox is every bit as capable as Tucker plus he has 1 punch KO power. Too strong, too smart.

J.R
04-30-2011, 03:23 AM
IMO Lewis beats Tyson of any era.

Pastrano
04-30-2011, 08:14 AM
IMO Lewis beats Tyson of any era.

HOW can you say that?!?!:eek: Gimme an explanation, fast! And if it ain't good, I suggest we ban your arse out of here!:D Just kidding, but youre dead wrong buddy.

J.R
04-30-2011, 08:27 AM
HOW can you say that?!?!:eek: Gimme an explanation, fast! And if it ain't good, I suggest we ban your arse out of here!:D Just kidding, but youre dead wrong buddy.

Tyson always struggled against tall, jabbers with a long reach, Lennox was also just too smart for Tyson.

Tyson would have struggled to get anywhere near him, lost his rag and game plan and being taken out, people say that Tyson was shot, well Lewis was older than Mike, I just can't see him having ever beating Big Len.

Pastrano
04-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Tyson always struggled against tall, jabbers with a long reach, Lennox was also just too smart for Tyson.

Tyson would have struggled to get anywhere near him, lost his rag and game plan and being taken out, people say that Tyson was shot, well Lewis was older than Mike, I just can't see him having ever beating Big Len.

Look man, I think you are a nice guy and otherwise you don't post a lot of stupid stuff, but this is totally wrong. Lewis TOO SMART for Tyson?! Really, forgive me but I gotta :lol1:. If you read my earlier comments about Lewis, you'd see that pre-Steward Lewis was everything BUT smart. He was a lunging, lumbering fighter who had problems maintaining his balance partly because he swung so wildly. Watch his fight with Bruno, he looked like total CRAP. Bruno was no technical fighter yet he managed to totally outbox him mostly by jabbing.

Even after Steward started training him, Lewis was still in no way a clever fighter. Thats why he suffered against Mercer. Thats why Holyfield almost BEAT him in the rematch, a faded Holyfield. Thats why even Vitali had his way with him for most of the fight.

J.R
04-30-2011, 08:52 AM
Look man, I think you are a nice guy and otherwise you don't post a lot of stupid stuff, but this is totally wrong. Lewis TOO SMART for Tyson?! Really, forgive me but I gotta :lol1:. If you read my earlier comments about Lewis, you'd see that pre-Steward Lewis was everything BUT smart. He was a lunging, lumbering fighter who had problems maintaining his balance partly because he swung so wildly. Watch his fight with Bruno, he looked like total CRAP. Bruno was no technical fighter yet he managed to totally outbox him mostly by jabbing.

Even after Steward started training him, Lewis was still in no way a clever fighter. Thats why he suffered against Mercer. Thats why Holyfield almost BEAT him in the rematch, a faded Holyfield. Thats why even Vitali had his way with him for most of the fight.

I know what you are saying about Lewis pre Steward but this thread is talking about Lewis at any point in his career vs Tyson of '96 no? If not then i'm mistaken.

However, lol, I am a Lewis fan and think Tyson would have struggled to pin Lewis down, especially If Lewis were to fight like he did in round 1 of their contest, lol.

Pastrano
04-30-2011, 10:13 AM
I know what you are saying about Lewis pre Steward but this thread is talking about Lewis at any point in his career vs Tyson of '96 no? If not then i'm mistaken.

However, lol, I am a Lewis fan and think Tyson would have struggled to pin Lewis down, especially If Lewis were to fight like he did in round 1 of their contest, lol.

I think there is no way Lewis coulda done better than Tucker did against Tyson in '87. Yes, that was PRIME Tyson and he wasn't the same in '96, but then again he had more experience in '96 than '87. You gotta take everything into consideration. Tucker was able to do so well against Mike in the early going because Mike was still a little green and attacked too much, neglecting the defense often. If Tucker hadn't broken his right hand in the 4th, who knows...we might not call Tyson undisputed champ and maybe we wouldn't even know him so well today. TNT was an excellent boxer who could punch but his main assett was that he was so well coordinated for such a big guy. Lewis wasn't.

J.R
04-30-2011, 10:50 AM
D'you know what, I feel like such a cunt I don't think I've seen the Tucker fight..... I'll download it now.

The Surgeon
04-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Hmmmm, Tyson is my guy but i think even by 96 he was too far gone to beat Lewis.