View Full Version : Peds of the past

Spartacus Sully
04-26-2011, 08:58 AM
im sure steroids wernt around in the old days but at the same time cocane came in cans of coke and many drugs were completly legal.

sooo do you think the old timers used alot of pain killers in the past or other kinds of drugs as performance enhancing drugs? is there any recorded evidence they might of?, and would you guys even consider things like pain killers as a performance enhancing drug?

- v e t -
04-26-2011, 09:00 AM
define old timers?

testosterone was first discovered in 1935 and synthesized shortly after

i know in most sports, amphetamines were rampant at the turn of the century and on

Spartacus Sully
04-26-2011, 09:02 AM
define old timers?

testosterone was first discovered in 1935 and synthesized shortly after

i know in most sports, amphetamines were rampant at the turn of the century and on

pre 1935 sounds good.

do you know when drug testing came about?

- v e t -
04-26-2011, 09:08 AM
not certain.... i was in a group that had to do a presentation on PEDs in baseball and this was a fun fact from our discovery

existed previously, and therefore introduced performance enhancing drugs (PED) to the sport. A popular drug from the end of the nineteenth century was called Brown-Séquard Elixir, a concoction made from the testicles of dogs and guinea pigs sold as an injection. While its efficacy has since been completely debunked, this elixir is certainly portentous given the modern day abuse of anabolic steroids, as the philosophy and general principles shadow currently abused drugs. Use of pharmaceutical grade steroids and amphetamines has been recorded as early as 1961, although it is likely that there has been some use since testosterone was first synthesized in 1935 by Butenandt and Ruzicka (who consequently won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for their work.) Tom House (MLB 1971-1978), is quoted as having used ***8220;steroids they wouldn***8217;t give horses***8221;, and describes PED abuse as wide spread in his era.

Spartacus Sully
04-26-2011, 09:18 AM
not certain.... i was in a group that had to do a presentation on PEDs in baseball and this was a fun fact from our discovery

wow....atleast it was an injection and not something they had to drink.

thanks for the information

Holtol
04-26-2011, 11:57 AM
They likely took stimulents I heard Dock Ellis say that 90% of baseball players took stimulents when he was playing. Old time players used tobacco to help performance now they have better drugs.

Ziggy Stardust
04-26-2011, 12:32 PM
They likely took stimulents I heard Dock Ellis say that 90% of baseball players took stimulents when he was playing. Old time players used tobacco to help performance now they have better drugs.

I wouldn't consider amphetamines (NOT todays meth btw) as a PED.....I've taken Benzadrine before and the only "enhancing" it did was make me wide awake and wired for 36 hours. I'd say a nice cold beer makes for a better PED :beerchug:

Poet

Holtol
04-26-2011, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't consider amphetamines (NOT todays meth btw) as a PED.....I've taken Benzadrine before and the only "enhancing" it did was make me wide awake and wired for 36 hours. I'd say a nice cold beer makes for a better PED :beerchug:

Poet

Watched a documentary a while ago called "Big River Man" It was about a guy named Martin Strel swimming the the amazon river he would drink two bottels of wine a day while swimming. He swam the amazon the same distance as across the Atlantic Ocean in under 60 days which is a world record and he is a middle aged man also.

I've heard some of the old time boxers used drink alcohol when they were fighting. Some long grueling fights that were over 50 rounds it may have helped them to start drinking to dullen the pain and mental anguish. Just like it helped Martin Strel break many world records for endurance swims. I think your right Poet alcohol can be a performance enhancer.

Quarry
04-26-2011, 01:11 PM
IMO 99% of all top rated Heavyweights of the last 20yrs have used steroids (PEDs)

Ziggy Stardust
04-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Watched a documentary a while ago called "Big River Man" It was about a guy named Martin Strel swimming the the amazon river he would drink two bottels of wine a day while swimming. He swam the amazon the same distance as across the Atlantic Ocean in under 60 days which is a world record and he is a middle aged man also.

I've heard some of the old time boxers used drink alcohol when they were fighting. Some long grueling fights that were over 50 rounds it may have helped them to start drinking to dullen the pain and mental anguish. Just like it helped Martin Strel break many world records for endurance swims. I think your right Poet alcohol can be a performance enhancer.

It sure as hell helps dull it afterwards.....until you wake up the next day :hah9:

Poet

New England
04-26-2011, 01:31 PM
smelling salts

ever wonder how a guy who was dead to rights in the 13th would get scraped off the canvas by three cornermen and then show up ready to fight in the 14th?

two words
conditioning (roadwork!)
salvolitile (smelling salts)

anybody ever been around these bad larrys?
i've seen them from my days with contact sports (back when a concission was a headache.)
they'd pick a concussed man up and bring him to the bench
salts behind his head and then to the side of his face (not even close to the nose, thats how powerful they are)
and he was ready to play again :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelling_salts

banned in the 70's if i remember correctly in boxing

today they use adreneline soaked cuetips (regularly used to treat a nose bleed)
watch tavoris cloud's corner
they'll tell him to breathe in while they're working on his nose
the adreneline is a stimulant, and allowed by the comission to treat bleeding.

also, panama lewis used to mix athsma medication in the form of a crushed up pill with perrier mineral water "The one i mixed," to open lungs

that's what he says, anyway
could have been blocaine

Ziggy Stardust
04-26-2011, 01:38 PM
They used smelling salts on the football team when I was in high school in the '80s. I never thought it was any big deal. We also had the ultimate PED known as "Gatoraid" :)

Poet

New England
04-26-2011, 01:42 PM
They used smelling salts on the football team when I was in high school in the '80s. I never thought it was any big deal.

Poet

neither did i, at the time, poet. all i wanted to do was skate hard and win and smash people. i would be lucky to be looking 10 mins down the road at that age
but it is a big deal

i wouldnt want my son back on the ice, field, ring if he needs salts to wake him up

New England
04-26-2011, 01:43 PM
They used smelling salts on the football team when I was in high school in the '80s. I never thought it was any big deal. We also had the ultimate PED known as "Gatoraid" :)

Poet

lol i mainline that gatorade

Ziggy Stardust
04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
neither did i, at the time, poet. all i wanted to do was skate hard and win and smash people. i would be lucky to be looking 10 mins down the road at that age
but it is a big deal

i wouldnt want my son back on the ice, field, ring if he needs salts to wake him up

You played hockey? I think I'm actually starting to like you! :grin9:

Ziggy Stardust
04-26-2011, 01:48 PM
lol i mainline that gatorade

I still drink it daily :hah9:

Ziggy Stardust
04-26-2011, 01:51 PM
but it is a big deal

But we're a lot more protective of our kids now then they were when we were younger. A lot of parents won't even let their kids play football these days when it wouldn't have even been given a second thought when I was a kid.

Poet

New England
04-26-2011, 01:52 PM
You played hockey? I think I'm actually starting to like you! :grin9:

yeah you're growing on me too poet
stranger things have happened

and yes sir, hockey was my first love
i was a stay at home defenseman
and enforcer :boxing:
god i love the playoffs. here we go bruins!

Ziggy Stardust
04-26-2011, 01:56 PM

Most of my friends on here I banged heads with at first :hah9: GJC is one of my best friends on this site and we went at it hammer and tongs when we first ran into each other.....I think I called him "Junior" and it turned out he's old enough to be my Dad :hahahaha9:

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
04-26-2011, 01:58 PM

I have a grudge against the Habs from last year so I'm hoping the Bruins finish them off.....then get smoked by the Caps :hah9:

Poet

lightsout_finit
04-26-2011, 02:16 PM
I agree with the guy who said smelling salts.
You see footage of old timers absolutley out cold get revived with that stuff.

New England
04-26-2011, 02:37 PM
I agree with the guy who said smelling salts.
You see footage of old timers absolutley out cold get revived with that stuff.

absolutely

that and those crafty old lugs knew that they'd need fit legs when they were boxing while out on their feet
and pounded that pavement to get in shape

ahem, odlanier solis, arreola, chambers, ahem.

SCtrojansbaby
04-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Impossible old timers were pure. Don't you know they did everything better!!!!!

Ziggy Stardust
04-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Damn, I forgot: Gatoraid was invented during the Permian Era of the 1960s so it must not be any good. And road work was invented just recently in the 2000s.....cuz you know we didn't have roads back then just dirt hunting trails that we used when we went looking for dinner with our spears :chuckle9:

Poet

JAB5239
04-26-2011, 11:27 PM

Where are you from NE?

New England
04-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Where are you from NE?

boston, yourself?

JAB5239
04-27-2011, 12:12 AM
boston, yourself?

Providence.

Peter Griffin
04-27-2011, 12:17 AM

swimming the amazon? he must of been mad drunk to do that sh1t.

New England
04-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Providence.

nice, bro
we're neighbors!

JAB5239
04-27-2011, 12:25 AM
nice, bro
we're neighbors!

I live in NC now, but I'll be back up that way in a month. I miss New England, the food, the people!

SplitSecond
04-28-2011, 08:44 AM
steroids only became real famous by the time big punchers like liston came along

i doubt robinson was on them, but leonard, hearns, ali and foreman etc are likely