View Full Version : Question. Weight Lifting and Cardio Advice

C.Anthony1190
04-26-2011, 03:39 AM
Hey wsup everyone.
Have a question about weightlifting for boxers. Googled and found a bunch of mixed results and searched the forum but couldnt come up with a solid answer.

Im currently not doing training at a boxing gym yet, until middle of next month. Im currently at ballys fitness so they have the equipment im just trying to get myself ready for the work.

The programs that people suggested for boxers were SS and WS4SB, but i know its not limited to that.

-SS seems like its too low of a rep range? think it was 3x5
-WS4SB has more play in it with different rep ranges and weight % but not sure how to adjust it for boxing. when i used it, i was focusing on football.
--------------------------------------------------
My question is how should i set up my weight lifting routine for boxing? ex. one day upper body another lower (Rep Range) etc.. I know a bodybuilding routine is not what i want to do but only seem to find those on the internet.

And how much cardio should i perform a day to take my conditioning to a great level. (Not doing any bag work, or anything yet) Just road work. 5 miles? 6 Miles? HIIT?

One thing that was brought up in many post is to lift explosivley which sounds good i heard about it before. Some people say lifting is detrimental to boxing but if it can be used in other sports and athletes are still fast as ever i dont think it would hurt.

Thanks for the read. ANY help or advice is appreciated.

C.Anthony1190
04-26-2011, 05:54 AM
Ive been doing more reading and looks like lifting heavy weights with low reps is good idea because it builds strength.

But still having trouble figuring out what excercises would be best suited for boxing and would show in the ring. Maybe Olympic type lifts?

Spartacus Sully
04-26-2011, 06:13 AM
Ive been doing more reading and looks like lifting heavy weights with low reps is good idea because it builds strength.

But still having trouble figuring out what excercises would be best suited for boxing and would show in the ring. Maybe Olympic type lifts?

do push ups jump squats and pull ups(wide and close grip).

a wide range of sit ups like leg raises planks v sits jack knifes obleaques and full hands over your head to touching your toes type sit ups.

do a mix of hiit, sprints, and long distance jogs.

In my opinion as far as weights its something like this:

100% 1 rep max 3 sets 1 rep = explosive strength with minimal hypertrophy

85-95% 1 rep max 3 sets of 3 reps = maximal strength and explosive strength with slight hypertrophy

70-85% 1 rep max 3-5 sets of 5 reps = maximal strength and explosive strength with slight hypertrophy

50-70% 1 rep max 3 sets 8-12 reps = maximal hypertrophy with slight maximal strength

40-60% 1 rep max 3 sets 12-20 reps = stamina/endurance with decent hypertrophy

20-40% 1 rep max 4-6 sets 20-40 reps done at a relaxed pace ensureing full sets and reps = stamina/endurance with slight hypertrophy

15-30% 1 rep max 3-5 sets 30-50 reps as fast as possible (1 sec per movement) = speed strength slight endurance and minimal hypertrophy.

for the heavier lifts you want more time between sets to recover for the lighter lifts focusing on stamina and speed you want less time between sets to recover.

C.Anthony1190
04-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the info!!

Been searching through the forums found a lot of good post from you and punchdrunk to name a couple

For Cardio i think just pushing myself everyday is gonna get it done. Going a little faster and a little farther each time.

Spartacus Sully
04-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the info!!

Been searching through the forums found a lot of good post from you and punchdrunk to name a couple

For Cardio i think just pushing myself everyday is gonna get it done. Going a little faster and a little farther each time.

you do long distance to work on breathing not cardio. when you exhale and inhale you only exchange a portion of your full lung capacity while the rest remains as a resivior for your lungs whiel you breath in and out. if your breathing isnt stable like exhaling to much at once or not inhaling enough at a time or even if your stressed and not breathing properly your resivior is unstable and you can easily find your self out of breath because your not refreshing that resvioror properly and your cardio can suffer greatly.

but at the same time sprinting intervals or hiit is pretty good for cardio

so you shoudl really mix it up and do a combination of both long distance where your really only working your legs and your able to concentrate on breathing properly like jogging walking or biking and you should also do sprinting or hiit to improve you cardio for the anaerobic portions of boxing.

get it? dont jsut work on running fruther and fruther, some days do a few 3 min sprints and some days do an hour long jog.

Jack3d
04-27-2011, 10:17 PM
WS4SB is a good program but I wouldn't recommend it for a boxer.

Starting Strength is a program to basically build a base of strength and power and learn how to do the lifts properly. It's an excellent program.

Bill Starr 5x5 is also an excellent program.

Weight training should take a back seat to skills training, always. But these types of routine will build power and strength. Which will be beneficial to a boxer or combat athlete. I wouldn't worry too much about gaining a lot of weight. In combination with how intense your boxing training is and if you keep your diet in check, you should be able to keep your weight down.

MePunchHard
04-27-2011, 10:35 PM
you do long distance to work on breathing not cardio. when you exhale and inhale you only exchange a portion of your full lung capacity while the rest remains as a resivior for your lungs whiel you breath in and out. if your breathing isnt stable like exhaling to much at once or not inhaling enough at a time or even if your stressed and not breathing properly your resivior is unstable and you can easily find your self out of breath because your not refreshing that resvioror properly and your cardio can suffer greatly.
What is this I don't even?

Jack3d
04-27-2011, 11:07 PM

You'll learn to not question him or debate and just lol at his posts. They really are quite comical

Spartacus Sully
04-27-2011, 11:42 PM

you have a reservoir of air in your lungs like when your normally breathing you dont exchange nearly as much air as if you were to force the air out of your lungs and take a deep breath. this reservoir of air stays in your lungs to allow a constant supply of oxygen to your lungs. this reservoir of air can go stale, to much co2 not enough oxygen so you take a deep breath to refresh, but everything up to that point of staleness your lungs and body arnt functioning nearly as well as it could be with a higher amount of oxygen in your blood.

things like biking and jogging allow you to just sit there and concentrate on breathing, relaxed calm breathing while properly circulating the air in the lungs. they of course have other advantages like biking or jogging long distances dont make your shoulders sore and it increases leg endurance and its not incredibly taxing that you still cant train on the same day and it probly does even help the cardio system but my point is thats not the only reason and saying that sprinting is better for cardio then road work is a weak excuse for not doing road work.

C.Anthony1190
04-28-2011, 02:26 AM

but at the same time sprinting intervals or hiit is pretty good for cardio

so you shoudl really mix it up and do a combination of both long distance where your really only working your legs and your able to concentrate on breathing properly like jogging walking or biking and you should also do sprinting or hiit to improve you cardio for the anaerobic portions of boxing.

get it? dont jsut work on running fruther and fruther, some days do a few 3 min sprints and some days do an hour long jog.

Yeah today i only got to lift and run 3 miles before i had to work. But i understand what your saying. Long distance with controlled breathing and same with hiit. Im definately going to switch the type cardio to keep my body from getting used to the same thing.

C.Anthony1190
04-28-2011, 02:32 AM
WS4SB is a good program but I wouldn't recommend it for a boxer.

Starting Strength is a program to basically build a base of strength and power and learn how to do the lifts properly. It's an excellent program.

Bill Starr 5x5 is also an excellent program.

Weight training should take a back seat to skills training, always. But these types of routine will build power and strength. Which will be beneficial to a boxer or combat athlete. I wouldn't worry too much about gaining a lot of weight. In combination with how intense your boxing training is and if you keep your diet in check, you should be able to keep your weight down.

Ive been using WS4SB3 since playin football but switched up the routine a little. Mostly just using compund lifts and depending on the excercise ill do explosive pushups where i push my self off the floor or chin/pull ups sometimes abs.

Im going to do some reading on Bill Starr 5x5 i always heard about it but never checked it out. 5 sets per excercise isnt too much for boxers? i heard something about keeping sets to a minimum and weights heavy. But then again I read articles saying Alex Ariza would have Manny perform some high rep stuff.

Thanks for the Info bro

Jack3d
04-28-2011, 03:02 AM
Ive been using WS4SB3 since playin football but switched up the routine a little. Mostly just using compund lifts and depending on the excercise ill do explosive pushups where i push my self off the floor or chin/pull ups sometimes abs.

Well in boxing you are competing at a set weight class. The problem with WS4SB is that it incorporates a lot of accessory work focused on hypertrophy.

WS4SB is basiacally program Defranco designed to help athletes put on size/weight and still be functional for their sport. That's why he incorporates Heavy Squats, Bench, Trap Bar Deadlifts, and conditioning work in addition to the accessory work with sets of 8-10.

Im going to do some reading on Bill Starr 5x5 i always heard about it but never checked it out. 5 sets per excercise isnt too much for boxers? i heard something about keeping sets to a minimum and weights heavy. But then again I read articles saying Alex Ariza would have Manny perform some high rep stuff.

Starr's 5x5 is a great program like I said. It's simple and you have the powercleans in there which are great, IMO for combat athletes.

Most of the basic strength routines revolve around a 5x5 template.

ShinCrossOver
04-28-2011, 01:11 PM
add jumpropes to your workouts to improve your cardio.

buy yourself some jump ropes and use them before and/or after your runs.

i just started boxing training but each boxing class i've taken has several jump ropes session (beginning, middle and end). at the beginning i was always gassed and my form would drop and i would mess up a bunch. bought myself some ropes and started doing them during the weekends and every day i wasn't training on my own. i would run a few miles and do several jump roping sessions. or jump ropes and then weights...

3 mins of jumpropes, 1 min rest... repeat (4-6 times)

what i like to do is play a song (usually longer than 3 mins) with my ipod and jumprope for the duration of the song.. .rest for a min.. find another song and do it again and again... music keeps me motivated.

grumpy79
04-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Wussup C Anthony im new to the site,I was also curious bout the same topic alot of good info very helpful.Ive just never used weights just typical pushups,shadow boxing with 5lb weights,I started using an olympic weight bar doing over the shoulder n curls,but im going to mix it up with some of the tips on here.:cool2::thanks:

C.Anthony1190
04-29-2011, 02:13 AM
This morning i did my first 5x5 workout.. like it way more than ws4sb. Imma stick to it
Feel like i could get somewhere with it.

C.Anthony1190
04-29-2011, 02:18 AM
add jumpropes to your workouts to improve your cardio.

buy yourself some jump ropes and use them before and/or after your runs.

i just started boxing training but each boxing class i've taken has several jump ropes session (beginning, middle and end). at the beginning i was always gassed and my form would drop and i would mess up a bunch. bought myself some ropes and started doing them during the weekends and every day i wasn't training on my own. i would run a few miles and do several jump roping sessions. or jump ropes and then weights...

3 mins of jumpropes, 1 min rest... repeat (4-6 times)

what i like to do is play a song (usually longer than 3 mins) with my ipod and jumprope for the duration of the song.. .rest for a min.. find another song and do it again and again... music keeps me motivated.

Thats a good idea. I have jump ropes but didnt know where in my workout to use it, thought i was going to do JUST cardio instead but seems like i need it for sure lol.

C.Anthony1190
04-29-2011, 02:21 AM
Wussup C Anthony im new to the site,I was also curious bout the same topic alot of good info very helpful.Ive just never used weights just typical pushups,shadow boxing with 5lb weights,I started using an olympic weight bar doing over the shoulder n curls,but im going to mix it up with some of the tips on here.:cool2::thanks:

Yeah im new to this site but they do give good info forsure.

Check out that 5x5 program did some stuff today feels like a good program.