View Full Version : Can someone explain to me how boxing has "evolved" since the middle the last century

SBleeder
04-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Because I'm just not seeing it.

Fighters in the "old days":
-Sparred
-Did roadwork
-Hit the heavy bag, speed bag, and double-end bag
-Eat right

Modern fighters:
-Spar
-Do roadwork
-Eat right, as much as is possible given that most foods are processed or covered with chemicals
-Some weight training

JAB5239
04-24-2011, 05:58 PM

-Sparred
-Did roadwork
-Eat right

Modern fighters:
-Spar
-Do roadwork
-Eat right, as much as is possible given that most foods are processed or covered with chemicals
-Some weight training

It hasn't. It has devolved in the sense fighters don't fight as often and the sport (at least in the US) is not as popular, which causes there to be less gyms and less quality fighters.

TheGreatA
04-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Barry McGuigan offers a challenging view:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-sport/boxing/2011/04/23/running-for-today-s-boxers-is-not-rocky-science-115875-23081192/

I don't necessarily agree but have at it.

SCtrojansbaby
04-24-2011, 08:01 PM
The same way all other sports have, technology has, architecture has and everything else. Its just illogical to think other wise. Things evolve with more knowledge that is how the world works.

SCtrojansbaby
04-24-2011, 08:07 PM
From that article,

"We understand also in a way we never did the relationship between body fat and muscle, and how that impacts on power.

The result is a bigger, leaner, stronger athlete at the weight"

this is basically my point in a nutshell

Wild Blue Yonda
04-25-2011, 11:33 PM

-Sparred
-Did roadwork
-Eat right

Modern fighters:
-Spar
-Do roadwork
-Some weight training

No one can, because it hasn't. No one can articulate the new Boxing techniques they so often talk about, because they're aren't any in the fighting craft. Mayweather look any better physically than Robinson to you? Nope, because they do largely the same things.

Spartacus Sully
04-25-2011, 11:55 PM

-Sparred
-Did roadwork
-Eat right

Modern fighters:
-Spar
-Do roadwork
-Some weight training

evolution does not mean an improvement, in the human world evolution usuallly means something comporable but easier to do.

in the human world we have evolved from analog to digital....is digital better then analog? absolutely not...is it easier to deal with? of course.

the sport of boxing has evolved into 30 min of running with sprints instead of an hour or 2 the sport of boxing has evolved to an hour in the gym and an hour lifting weights instead of 3 hours at the gym and an hour sparring. the sport of boxing as evolved to 3 fights a year at most instead of 10+.

the sport of boxing has evolved so people dont have to work as hard....but of course they arnt as good.

the sport of boxing has evolved too fast twitch muscle sounds fast....and why would i run for 2 hours when i can run for 30 mins.....most people dont even have a clue why boxers run for 6+ miles at a decent pace....but their going to go and tell you its bad....

Spartacus Sully
04-25-2011, 11:56 PM
From that article,

"We understand also in a way we never did the relationship between body fat and muscle, and how that impacts on power.

The result is a bigger, leaner, stronger athlete at the weight"

this is basically my point in a nutshell

"To be honest Ken, I don't think I can run at this pace."

"Away you go, son. Away you go," he said.

He ran for an hour at that pace in military style boots. That was the way it was done. He sparred my head off mind you.

so instead of saying hey i should run longer distanes at a slower pace the guy says ohhhhh I need to RUN in BOOTS?????WTF and then decideds that running in boots is bad Thus confiriming that long slow distance is bad......boxing has evolved into utter stupidity and ignorance.

SCtrojansbaby
04-26-2011, 02:43 AM
LOL I'm surprised you people believe in the internet. Why not just send a messenger back and forth to each other's houses and dicuss boxing that way.

Spartacus Sully
04-26-2011, 02:51 AM
LOL I'm surprised you people believe in the internet. Why not just send a messenger back and forth to each other's houses and dicuss boxing that way.

phones > internet

speaking to some one to have a conversation > typeing to some one to have a conversation

bojangles1987
04-26-2011, 06:54 AM
It's only evolved in the stuff that's available at a GNC that is legal. The actual techniques behind training haven't changed.

Vadrigar.
04-26-2011, 07:36 AM
Steroids(PED's)? But I'm not sure if steroids actually help.

pacquia0
04-26-2011, 09:27 AM
The best heavyweight, light heavyweight, middleweight and lightweight have all come along since the middle of the last century.

BigStereotype
04-26-2011, 10:00 AM
The best heavyweight, light heavyweight, middleweight and lightweight have all come along since the middle of the last century.

And the best fighter ever was in his prime before that same middle. What's your point?

Barnburner
04-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Harry Greb > MW
Ezzard Charles > LHW
LW is debatable.
HW is not set in stone but, your probably right taking into accounts opinions of all.

SCtrojansbaby
04-26-2011, 04:36 PM
phones > internet

speaking to some one to have a conversation > typeing to some one to have a conversation

YES rotary phones > blackberries. older=better. nothing has progressed!!!!

Barnburner
04-26-2011, 04:38 PM
YES rotary phones > blackberries. older=better. nothing has progressed!!!!
I have a blackberry and it sucks in terms of reliabilty compared to rotary phones.

In purely PHONING rotary>blackberry

SCtrojansbaby
04-26-2011, 04:45 PM
I have a blackberry and it sucks in terms of reliabilty compared to rotary phones.

In purely PHONING rotary>blackberry

So why don't you and everybody else still use rotary phones? AHHHH things never get better over time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ziggy Stardust
04-26-2011, 05:38 PM
So why don't you and everybody else still use rotary phones? AHHHH things never get better over time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe because people today are lazy fvcks and dialing a rotary is too much work for their delicate wittle fingers? Same reason they can't get off their lazy azzes to change the channel on the fvcking TV :jerk0ff9:

Poet

TheHolyCross
04-26-2011, 06:57 PM
not to be racist, but what happened to all the white americans?

Spartacus Sully
04-27-2011, 02:29 AM

I got a rotary phone. its sits in my pool room so i have a phone near by when im out at the pool. the things my grandparents its about 50 years old and has sat out side in a sceened in pool room for 20 some years through rain and snow through hot and cold completly exposed to the elements and it still works like a charm.

cant say the same about any other phone ive ever owned.

i also got one of these in my house...dosnt work and its more for decoration...but i still got one....

http://antiquegadgets.com/images2/gadget3.jpg

bklynboy
04-27-2011, 12:05 PM
New is not always better (and I'm a programmer, Information Architect so I'm a little biased in favor of computers). It's hard to make a comparison over the years with boxing - but how about fighting.

Let's say we take the 128 best MMA (we magically know the best and can rank them from 1-128) over the last 20 years and pit them against the best 128 hand to hand fighters from Japan circa 1600. If we've "improved" so much over the years the Final 16 should be all, or mostly MMA fighters from the last 20 years, and the winner would be a MMA fighter.

Let's do the same thing and pit the best MMA fighters against the best Roman fighters (circa 50BC) or Spartan fighters (circa 300BC). IF things are getting so much better the MMA guys would dominate each series.

TheHolyCross
04-28-2011, 07:41 AM
I got a rotary phone. its sits in my pool room so i have a phone near by when im out at the pool. the things my grandparents its about 50 years old and has sat out side in a sceened in pool room for 20 some years through rain and snow through hot and cold completly exposed to the elements and it still works like a charm.

i also got one of these in my house...dosnt work and its more for decoration...but i still got one....

this is kinda sad, you people need to stop pretending or throw your pc's away

anyway, the only thing i see improved in boxers nowadays is speed and power, mainly thanks to the steroid like hormones in food and the abusing of steroids in general

but what am i saying, maybe we have evolved, im an athletic beast and dont drink milk or take steroids :notworthy

SBleeder
04-28-2011, 05:16 PM

Not bad... I still prefer smoke signals, though:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c158/blink5488/smoke_signals.gif

Ziggy Stardust
04-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Not bad... I still prefer smoke signals, though:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c158/blink5488/smoke_signals.gif

You mean you don't beat out messages on hollow logs like they did when I was a kid back in the Triassic 70s? :thinking9:

Poet

Barnburner
04-28-2011, 05:26 PM
You mean you don't beat out messages on hollow logs like they did when I was a kid back in the Triassic 70s? :thinking9:

Poet
b/s humans weren't around then :lol1:

Ziggy Stardust
04-28-2011, 05:29 PM
b/s humans weren't around then :lol1:

Damn I forgot! We was all Neanderthals back then and only evolved into humans in the 90s :grin9:

Poet

McGoorty
07-18-2011, 09:18 PM

-Sparred
-Did roadwork
-Eat right

Modern fighters:
-Spar
-Do roadwork
-Some weight training

:davil2: I don't get it either, if anything I would say it has De-Evolved, Take boxing in Australia, when I last checked a couple of years ago, I was stunned to compare a magazine from 1950 that showed every professional boxer active in Australia, it listed OVER 360 Pros in just the welterweight Division alone compared to UNDER 20 in the modern day. For every decent pro today there were hundred. If you watch BURLEY, PEP, ROBINSON, ROSS, LOUIS, ZALE, CERDAN, DARCY and countless GAVILAN's and YOUNG CORBETT III's you will see the most important quality in a great boxer, EFFECTIVENESS, which beats Fancy Dan technique EVERY TIME. . Name one old legend that chose to run for the entire fight like I've seen hundreds of times today, 12 rd sprints favor the runners, 20 rounds separated the REAL from the FANTASY WORLD OF " He never let him lay a glove on him for 8 rounds and was caught with a LUCKY PUNCH " OR " the Golden Boy won the fight by a 12 round decision but put MILLIONS TO SLEEP by the 6th Round. :grumpy:

paulsinghnl
07-18-2011, 10:41 PM
the greatest fighters right now are Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather.

Mayweather, old school principles he uses to train, just like manny pacquiao.. sparring, running, speed bag, mitts, jumprope.

Mayweather innovated the padwork, but that's for reaction, he still uses a shoulder roll and moves away and blocks. he does the crunch stand up and the punching with the dumbbells and gym weights. it's small things, but ultimately what makes Mayweather succeed is boxing basics with his boxing brain. instead of neck rolls, he has a weight hanging from his head.

Pacquiao smashes a medicine ball into a pad, that's a little better than working the heavybag because it's a bit more focused on explosive power. But running the hills gave him his lightning fast feet, the shuttle drills and weights and all with Ariza enhance it, but it's still boxing basics at it's core. just some stuff that added on.