View Full Version : Roberto Duran

Steak
04-22-2011, 04:21 AM
Probably my favorite boxer of all time, some people tend to underrate his achievements at times and underrate some of his more impressive wins. Heres a quick look over his career and who he beat.

-Ernesto Marcel-Duran KOed him at 130lbs, his first significant victory in his long career. Marcel would go on to become featherweight champ, beating none other than Alexis Arguello right before Arguello would go on his destructive reign
-Hiroshi Kobayashi-Duran KOed him a mere 3 months after Kobayashi had been super featherweight champ
-Ken Buchanan-One of the best Lightweights ever and reigning Lightweight champ, HOF
-Hector Thompson-top 5 at 140lbs, Duran fought him at 135lbs
-Guts Ishimatsu-future WBC titlist, would become champ 7 months after the Duran loss
-Esteban DeJesus-future WBC titlist, #1 at Lightweight
-Ray Lampkin-#1 win at Lightweight
-Leoncio Ortiz-top 10 at 140lbs, Duran fought him at 135lbs
-Saoul Mamby-future titlist at 140lbs
-Lou Bizzaro-top 5 at 140lbs, Duran fought him at 135lbs
-Vilomar Fernandez-top 5 at Lightweight, would beat ATG Alexis Arguello shorterly after
-Edwin Viruetx2-top 3 at Lightweight
-Esteban DeJesus-#1 at Lightweight
-Monroe Brooks-top 5 at 140lbs, Duran fought him at WW
-Carlos Palomino-former lineal champ, HOF, top 3 at WW
-Joseph Nsubuga-top 10 at WW
-Ray Leonard-at least top 15 ATG, arguably 2nd best ever WW, reigning lineal champ
-Pipino Cuevas-HOF, but past prime
-Davey Moore-top 3 at JMW, would go on to KO Benitez
-Iran Barkley-top 3 at MW, had just KOed Thomas Hearns
-Jorge Fernando Castro-top 5 at MW, Duran was 46 years old and fighting at 168lbs

His win over Leonard might be one of the best single wins in the history of boxing, all things considered.

jrosales13
04-22-2011, 04:30 AM
He beat Ernesto Marcel in 1970 at 130 and went on to beat Jorge Castro in 1997 at 168.

I don't think people understand how crazy that is. I think that's just insane.

The man was an amazing fighter.

Vadrigar.
04-22-2011, 05:23 AM
His wins over Moore and Barkley impress me the most, even more so than the first Leonard Fight.

Walt Liquor
04-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Word on the street in NSB is that he's no different from Hatton.

Quarry
04-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Duran was a great fighter no doubt about that yet he failed in his prime against other great prime fighters Leonard, DeJesus, Hearns, Benitez & Hagler his wins over Castro, Moore, Barkley are good victories yet those three was not the No1 guy in that division at the time Duran won the title.

Wild Blue Yonda
04-22-2011, 10:26 AM
If anything, I find Duran to be over-rated, not under.

Barn
04-22-2011, 11:38 AM
If anything, I find Duran to be over-rated, not under.
Would you rate him in the Top 10?

Wild Blue Yonda
04-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Would you rate him in the Top 10?

Of what? A single division, or all-time?

Ziggy Stardust
04-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Duran was a great fighter no doubt about that yet he failed in his prime against other great prime fighters Leonard, DeJesus, Hearns, Benitez & Hagler his wins over Castro, Moore, Barkley are good victories yet those three was not the No1 guy in that division at the time Duran won the title.

Considering he beat DeJesus 2 out 3 and has a win over top-3 all-time Welter in Leonard that hardly qualifies as "failing". Your name-sake got the piss slapped out him every time HE stepped up: That's the defination of "failing".

Poet

Steak
04-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Of what? A single division, or all-time?

should be top 10 either way.

-KPB-
04-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Just out of curiosity...do you cats hold the 'no mas' fight against Duran........

Quarry
04-23-2011, 02:09 AM
Considering he beat DeJesus 2 out 3 and has a win over top-3 all-time Welter in Leonard that hardly qualifies as "failing". Your name-sake got the piss slapped out him every time HE stepped up: That's the defination of "failing".

Poet

Kirkland Laing is another who springs to mind and it is the way in which Duran failed, quitting against Leonard then losing their 3rd fight by shut-out, out-classed by Benitez and brutally knocked out by Hearns. those are "failing" which ever way you want to look at it.

Ziggy Stardust
04-23-2011, 02:29 AM
Kirkland Laing is another who springs to mind and it is the way in which Duran failed, quitting against Leonard then losing their 3rd fight by shut-out, out-classed by Benitez and brutally knocked out by Hearns. those are "failing" which ever way you want to look at it.

You can bring up past-prime losses if you like.....Hell, why not bring up Pazienza and Joppy while you're at it. While you're doing that mind explaining how your boy while IN HIS PRIME got KTFO by George Chuvalo and UDed by a washed up Eddie Machen?

Poet

Quarry
04-23-2011, 03:48 AM
You can bring up past-prime losses if you like.....Hell, why not bring up Pazienza and Joppy while you're at it. While you're doing that mind explaining how your boy while IN HIS PRIME got KTFO by George Chuvalo and UDed by a washed up Eddie Machen?

Poet

are you insinuating Duran's loss to Kirkland Laing, Benitez & Hearns was "past-prime"? i never mentioned Pazienza or Joppy as they are IMO "way-past-prime".

You should watch Quarry v Chuvalo instead of asking me and you will see that Quarry took a knee after catching a good left-hook from Chuvalo, he watched the referee's count and rose at 9 only for Zac Clayton to wave it over to the disgust of Quarry and the crowd. His loss to Machen on points was when he was a young novice only 14 months into the pro ranks and was a tremendous performance from Quarry against a seasoned pro like Eddie Machen who was fighting for the Heavyweight Title only 15 months earlier.

Wild Blue Yonda
04-23-2011, 04:38 AM
Just out of curiosity...do you cats hold the 'no mas' fight against Duran........

Id be very disappointed (but somehow not surprised) if anyone gave Duran a pass. It was appalling.

Wild Blue Yonda
04-23-2011, 04:42 AM

You have him in the top-10 of every division he ever competed in?

IronDanHamza
04-23-2011, 10:02 AM
You have him in the top-10 of every division he ever competed in?

I think he is referring to Lightweight and of all time.

In which I presume he has him in the top 10 for both.

IronDanHamza
04-23-2011, 10:06 AM

I do.

It's probably the most frustrating quit I have ever witnessed. I mean, he wasn't even getting dominated and he hadn't even taken an increased amount of damage and he just quit because things didn't seem to be going his way. Was real bad, to be honest.

For him then to later say "I thought, I gave him a rematch, so he should give me one in the future. So I'm going to quit" Or something along those lines. Really adds to the frustration.

Mr. Invincible
04-23-2011, 11:13 AM
His wins over Moore and Barkley impress me the most, even more so than the first Leonard Fight.

I love the Khan sig pic so I'll go light. How can you call me a troll and red K me for voicing my opinion and come on here and praise every black American fighter out there and glorify old legends who fought in the 200 lb 5' 11" heavyweight eras, exclusively?

That's called a double standard.

:fu2:

Barn
04-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Duran was a phenom at Lightweight and an amazing fighter. He did well at Welterweight, and against all adds pulled some good results at Middlwegiht.

He is a great fighter and a Top 10 pound for pound and Top 3 Lightweight in my opinion.

The No Mas fight hurts his legacy a little. I do still believe Duran had a lot of heart which was proved with the Hearns fight.

Ziggy Stardust
04-23-2011, 01:23 PM
glorify old legends who fought in the 200 lb 5' 11" heavyweight eras, exclusively?

As opposed to glorifying the fatazzes and 'roid heads polluting the division these days? :thinking9:

cotto16
04-23-2011, 01:31 PM
duran is the greatest lightweight of all time

Ziggy Stardust
04-23-2011, 01:37 PM
are you insinuating Duran's loss to Kirkland Laing, Benitez & Hearns was "past-prime"? i never mentioned Pazienza or Joppy as they are IMO "way-past-prime".

I'm not insinuating it I'm flat out STATING it.....only an idiot thinks Duran was prime for Laing......especially considering Duran was prime as a Lightweight in the 1970s not as a Junior Middle in the 1980s.

You should watch Quarry v Chuvalo instead of asking me and you will see that Quarry took a knee after catching a good left-hook from Chuvalo, he watched the referee's count and rose at 9 only for Zac Clayton to wave it over to the disgust of Quarry and the crowd..

He got KTFO: Whinging about it ain't going to change the result.

His loss to Machen on points was when he was a young novice only 14 months into the pro ranks and was a tremendous performance from Quarry against a seasoned pro like Eddie Machen who was fighting for the Heavyweight Title only 15 months earlier.

A. Quarry had 20 pro fights when he fought Machen.

B. Machen fought for a phony title in 1965, at a time when everyone knew the real Champion was Ali.

C. Machen didn't deserve to fight for even a phony title as he hadn't beat a top fighter since 1961 when he beat Doug Jones.

D. At the time Quarry fought him, Machen had gone 1-4-1 in his last 6 fights ie. he was washed up pure and simple.

Next!

Poet

SBleeder
04-23-2011, 02:17 PM
duran is the greatest lightweight of all time

No real arguments on my part, but I personally think Whitaker, Benny Leonard, and Gans all slightly out-rank him.

Forza
04-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Duran failed against almost every C level fighter and above that he fought. Probably one of the most overrated fighters of all time next to tyson.

I don't even rank him in the top 20

Ziggy Stardust
04-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Duran failed against almost every C level fighter and above that he fought. Probably one of the most overrated fighters of all time next to tyson.

You can cease posting now.

Steak
04-23-2011, 02:36 PM

I think he is referring to Lightweight and of all time.

In which I presume he has him in the top 10 for both.

correct interpretation.

Barn
04-23-2011, 02:39 PM

Unlike JCC with his unbeaten streak of HOF's?

Vadrigar.
04-23-2011, 02:41 PM
I love the Khan sig pic so I'll go light. How can you call me a troll and red K me for voicing my opinion and come on here and praise every black American fighter out there and glorify old legends who fought in the 200 lb 5' 11" heavyweight eras, exclusively?

As opposed to the burger king division of today? These fat slobs can't make it to the ring without fainting.

Well you trolled just know by bringing in race. Thanks for showing your true intentions out, retard.

Vadrigar.
04-23-2011, 02:42 PM

As opposed to the burger king division of today? These fat slobs can't make it to the ring without fainting.

Anyway, you trolled just know by bringing in race. Thanks for showing your true intentions, retard.

Vadrigar.
04-23-2011, 02:42 PM

As opposed to glorifying the fat slobs of today?

Anyway, you trolled just now by bringing in race. Thanks for showing your true intentions, retard.

:smashfreak:

Forza
04-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Unlike JCC with his unbeaten streak of HOF's?

JCC actually won when he faced higher opposition. Duran sadly failed every time except for beating leonard 1 out of 3 fights.

Barn
04-23-2011, 03:00 PM
JCC actually won when he faced higher opposition. Duran sadly failed every time except for beating leonard 1 out of 3 fights.
Like JCC against Whitaker and ODLH?

Forza
04-23-2011, 03:10 PM
whitaker and ODLH fought the ghost of JCC, and old broken man.

Duran lost in his prime. He even got K.O'd in his prime by hearns.

Mr. Invincible
04-23-2011, 03:26 PM
As opposed to the burger king division of today?
Try being more original.

These fat slobs can't make it to the ring without fainting.

Well you trolled just know by bringing in race. Thanks for showing your true intentions out, retard.
Lol, My intentions?

It's obvious you are bias toward African American fighters of old without even considering that sports have advanced in the last 40 years and that it will make a performance difference. To me that's a blind follower living off of public opinion. Tiger Woods is better than Jack Nicklaus was but try convincing an old golf enthusiast.

It's cool to have your favorites, just give credit to those who are due.

And there's no problem with everyone on here having an opinion. Try being more mature about it.

Mr. Invincible
04-23-2011, 03:28 PM
As opposed to glorifying the fat slobs of today?

Anyway, you trolled just now by bringing in race. Thanks for showing your true intentions, retard.

:smashfreak:

Was it worth responding twice the same way? lol

Vadrigar.
04-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Try being more original.

Yep, it's true.

Lol, My intentions? :ugh:

It's obvious you are bias toward African American fighters of old without even considering that sports have advanced in the last 40 years and that it will make a performance difference. To me that's a blind follower living off of public opinion. Tiger Woods is better than Jack Nicklaus was but try convincing an old golf enthusiast.

Where am I biased?

So much of an "advancement" with this terrible HW era. Fat slobs don't hold much of a "performance difference". You're the blind follower of the "modern" myth and obviously haven't considered the history of the sport. LMAO are we comparing golf to boxing now? weak, very weak.

It's cool to have your favorites, just give credit to those who are due.

Exactly, you need to give credit to the real ALL TIME legends who kept this sport alive.

And there's no problem with everyone on here having an opinion. Try being more mature about it.

That's all you can do, chuck in race which is totally irrelevant.

Barn
04-23-2011, 03:43 PM
whitaker and ODLH fought the ghost of JCC, and old broken man.

Duran lost in his prime. He even got K.O'd in his prime by hearns.
Now you're just being fvcking retarded, fck off you're a useless idiot who knows jack sh1t about boxing.

Mr. Invincible
04-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Yep, it's true.

:ugh:

Where am I biased?

So much of an "advancement" with this terrible HW era. Fat slobs don't hold much of a "performance difference". You're the blind follower of the "modern" myth and obviously haven't considered the history of the sport. LMAO are we comparing golf to boxing now? weak, very weak.

Exactly, you need to give credit to the real ALL TIME legends who kept this sport alive.

That's all you can do, chuck in race which is totally irrelevant.

You are bias in almost everything you say and it's mostly race related. It's easy to see by reading your posts when people don't call you on it first. You prefer the latter year greats over todays fighters so you rule out the fact that there may be better fighters today than were in the 70's. Let me inform you of a few things since you are too ignorant to understand the golf reference I made or boxing in general.

Tommy Morrison would have knocked most of Ali's opponents out cold. He was basically a white Joe Frazier. Wepner? Are you kidding me? He wouldn't have woken up at all had he faced either Klitschko. He would've been lucky to see the 3rd rd. You are blind if you can't see a difference between the Klitschko's and the competition Ali faced in the 70's.

Can you imagine Frazier or Norton beating Vitali? No f*ckin way.

BigStereotype
04-23-2011, 06:13 PM
You are bias in almost everything you say and it's mostly race related. It's easy to see by reading your posts when people don't call you on it first. You prefer the latter year greats over todays fighters so you rule out the fact that there may be better fighters today than were in the 70's. Let me inform you of a few things since you are too ignorant to understand the golf reference I made or boxing in general.

Tommy Morrison would have knocked most of Ali's opponents out cold. He was basically a white Joe Frazier. Wepner? Are you kidding me? He wouldn't have woken up at all had he faced either Klitschko. He would've been lucky to see the 3rd rd. You are blind if you can't see a difference between the Klitschko's and the competition Ali faced in the 70's.

Other than the left hook, that could not be further from the truth. Their styles were nothing alike.

joseph5620
04-23-2011, 06:23 PM

And that takes your stupidity to a new level. There seems to be a number of posters like you in here today.

$coinblatt$
04-23-2011, 06:25 PM

http://i55.tinypic.com/2i6jot5.gif

Barn
04-23-2011, 06:26 PM
And that takes your stupidity to a new level. There seems to be a number of posters like you in here today.
It's that fvcking Pacquiao thread, like flies to sh1t.

joseph5620
04-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Yeah I'm noticing the trend :lol1:

IronDanHamza
04-23-2011, 06:55 PM

Sorry guys...... :sad2:

In my defence I did say usual posters only.

Forgive me.

:D

studentofthegam
04-23-2011, 06:55 PM
His wins over Moore and Barkley impress me the most, even more so than the first Leonard Fight.I'd have to take the SRL win over any of his wins. Leonard had every advantage and still didnt have enough. He actuallly made SRL a better, smarter fighter.

Word on the street in NSB is that he's no different from Hatton.I cant help but think you are refering to me. LOL. They're just similar in their pressure styles and holding and hitting. Duran had more dimensions and was the over all better fighter.

Just out of curiosity...do you cats hold the 'no mas' fight against Duran........You have to. I could imagine if he had quit like that in the boxing Scene era. It would be a crazed witch hunt. He simply quit out of frustration and in my book thats worse than Ortiz/Maidana because he didnt take any true punishment. Even still he's a great fighter and gets overrated much more than under.

Barn
04-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Sorry guys...... :sad2:

In my defence I did say usual posters only.

Forgive me.

:D
You should have called it: 1800-1900 boxer thread. Then put what you actually wanted to say, in the description. that would have kept those greatest, latest fools away.

IronDanHamza
04-23-2011, 07:10 PM

That's a pretty big "except" though, Isn't it?

"Duran failed everytime he stepped him against higher competition.......Except when he beat SUGAR RAY LEONARD at Welterweight"

Duran was a natural Lightweight and beat one of the greatest WW Champions of all time. Pretty decent, really.

He also beat HOF fighters on 6 different occasions. Is that 'higher competition'?

Mr. Invincible
04-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Other than the left hook, that could not be further from the truth. Their styles were nothing alike.

I forgive you because you are only 19 but you seriously need to go back and look at both fighters a little before saying they are nothing alike.

Mr. Invincible
04-23-2011, 07:24 PM

And I think you are stupid. So who's right?

BigStereotype
04-23-2011, 08:25 PM

Him.

JAB5239
04-23-2011, 09:24 PM

There seems to be a small invasion of ignorance going on lately, I've noticed it too.

JAB5239
04-23-2011, 09:27 PM

......Him.

Barn
04-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Him............/

Ziggy Stardust
04-23-2011, 11:09 PM

Here's a hint: It AIN'T you :geek9:

IronDanHamza
04-23-2011, 11:28 PM

Ahhh, why not?

.....Him.

DeepSleep
04-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Tommy Morrison would have knocked most of Ali's opponents out cold. He was basically a white Joe Frazier. .

... Post's like these make me wonder why I bother coming back here.

Ziggy Stardust
04-24-2011, 12:22 AM

He's already been pwned repeatedly :boxing:

Vadrigar.
04-24-2011, 01:14 AM
You are bias in almost everything you say and it's mostly race related.

Yeah, suuuuure.........

It's easy to see by reading your posts when people don't call you on it first.

No one calls me out because there's nothing wrong with what I say. I would be banned by the moderator of this section if that was the case.

You prefer the latter year greats over todays fighters so you rule out the fact that there may be better fighters today than were in the 70's.

Well they may be better at munching down burgers, but nothing much else. The 70's is considered as the golden era of HW's and you're retarded to say otherwise.

Let me inform you of a few things since you are too ignorant to understand the golf reference I made or boxing in general.

Boxing is a totally different sport to golf, go back to the shed.

Tommy Morrison would have knocked most of Ali's opponents out cold.

:rofl:

He was basically a white Joe Frazier.

:lol1:

Wepner? Are you kidding me? He wouldn't have woken up at all had he faced either Klitschko. He would've been lucky to see the 3rd rd.

Wladimir didn't even see the 3rd round against Corrie Sanders, an out of shape professional golfer. Oh yes, I guess golf does come in here :lol1:

You are blind if you can't see a difference between the Klitschko's and the competition Ali faced in the 70's.

You're blind then.

This statement shows you don't really know much about Frazier and Norton.

JAB5239
04-24-2011, 03:57 AM

There are always going to be ignorant people making remarkably stupid claims. Sometimes it bothers me. Sometimes I ignore it. Most of the time I just have to laugh at them. Don't let the fools ruin your enjoyment of this sport and its history bro.

Mr. Invincible
04-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Him.

It's called an opinion but apparently you are also too dense to understand that. F off.

Mr. Invincible
04-24-2011, 12:46 PM
......Him.

Ok, you are stupid for being a Cowboy fan.............

See how ignorant that sounds? Grow up.

Mr. Invincible
04-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Him............/

You're late.

Steak
04-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Roberto Duran

Mr. Invincible
04-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Here's a hint: It AIN'T you :geek9:

You are on my ignore list but I had a feeling that you were responding to me so I'll write back one last time. You have honestly got to be the most narrow minded hating fool this forum has ever produced and If I never see another post from you again it will be too soon. Hope you enjoyed talking blind ignorance to me so often because those were the last words of yours that will ever be read by me. Enjoy.

joseph5620
04-24-2011, 12:56 PM
It's called an opinion but apparently you are also too dense to understand that. F off.

Yeah everybody is entitled to their opinion no matter how stupid it is. Guess what category you fall under?

Nobody takes you seriously. Either stop posting or keep trolling. The choice is yours.

Mr. Invincible
04-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Ahhh, why not?

.....Him.

.........:ugh:

My feelings are hurt. lol

Mr. Invincible
04-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah, suuuuure.........
No one calls me out because there's nothing wrong with what I say. I would be banned by the moderator of this section if that was the case.
Well they may be better at munching down burgers, but nothing much else. The 70's is considered as the golden era of HW's and you're retarded to say otherwise.
Boxing is a totally different sport to golf, go back to the shed.
Wladimir didn't even see the 3rd round against Corrie Sanders, an out of shape professional golfer. Oh yes, I guess golf does come in here :lol1:
You're blind then.
This statement shows you don't really know much about Frazier and Norton.

I'll start by saying how fun this has been talking to a brick wall..........

Next, saying there's nothing wrong with with what you say, being your opinion is so ridiculous I just don't quite know how to get through to you so I won't try. And moderators don't ban for opinions smart guy.

The 70's may be considered to be the 'golden age' of hvywt boxing but that doesn't neccesarily mean it was the most talented. Can you sit here and honestly say you think Gerry Quarry would be a competitive fighter today? Or Chuvalo? How about Karl Mildenberger? Come on man, show you have some common sense or even sanity.

I understand the need to glorify legends and all but enough is enough, the fighters of the 70's don't compare to todays fighters. The only advantage they had was activity.

Lastly, I didn't compare boxing to golf. Maybe you got lost in that thinking about typing and eating and when the next cartoon was coming on. But if you A) Think Wladimir was at his best in that fight or B) Feel like Sanders was a bum, I have to say you are pretty much an idiot.

I'm done taking you to school. I would normally ask for a daily wage for this type of lesson.

Mr. Invincible
04-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Yeah everybody is entitled to their opinion no matter how stupid it is. Guess what category you fall under?

Nobody takes you seriously. Either stop posting or keep trolling. The choice is yours.

Trolling? Lol.

I suppose you think Morrison was inferior to the 70's fighters as well?

How would you explain him beating Foreman then?

I'll save us both some time and play out the conversation.

YOU: He was old.

ME: He was a better boxer at that time than in the 70's.

ME: He had just had a great fight with Evander Holyfield and was right in it.

ME: He went on right after and knocked out unbeaten 35-0 Michael Moorer in his next fight.

YOU: He was old, and won on a lucky punch.

ME: He went on to win his next fight against a prime Axel Schulz.

YOU: Whatever, Morrison sucked, you're stupid. You fall under that catagory.........

I'm done. Those who won't get it is because they don't want to. I have no more time for this.

Steak
04-24-2011, 01:29 PM
If you honesty believe that 45 year old Foreman is better than his 70s version, I feel pity for you.

Morrison was a good fighter, but had a major failing in his chin. you cant honestly think that he would have beaten Ali like Frazier did, do you?

DarkTerror88
04-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Roberto Duran

i see you are trying to get back on topic. allow me to assist you.

I think that if Duran didnt party and was a gym rat, along with taking every fight seriously (ala vs Leonard I) he would have beaten most of those that he lost to. Maybe not Hearns or Hagler, might have still quit against leonard II, but as he fought in the late 80s and 90s he would have won more often had he gained better habits early on in his career.

He also KOd a horse and had pet lions, thats always a win.

joseph5620
04-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Trolling? Lol.

I suppose you think Morrison was inferior to the 70's fighters as well?

How would you explain him beating Foreman then?

I'll save us both some time and play out the conversation.

ME: He was a better boxer at that time than in the 70's.

ME: He had just had a great fight with Evander Holyfield and was right in it.

ME: He went on right after and knocked out unbeaten 35-0 Michael Moorer in his next fight.

YOU: He was old, and won on a lucky punch.ME: He went on to win his next fight against a prime Axel Schulz.

YOU: Whatever, Morrison sucked, you're stupid. You fall under that catagory.........

I'm done. Those who won't get it is because they don't want to. I have no more time for this.

You: Morrison would knock Ali's opponents out cold

Me: Morrison couldn't even knock out an over 40 version of George Foreman

You: Morrison was a white version of Joe Frazier

Me. Really? I never saw Frazier getting knocked out and barely surviving against fighters on the level of Ray Mercer, Ross Puritty and Michael Bentt.

You: You're a racist and don't like white fighters

Me: Keep trolling....

Vadrigar.
04-24-2011, 01:33 PM
I'll start by saying how fun this has been talking to a brick wall..........

An all too familiar statement by stubborn trolls, like yourself.

Next, saying there's nothing wrong with with what you say, being your opinion is so ridiculous I just don't quite know how to get through to you so I won't try. And moderators don't ban for opinions smart guy.

Moderators ban for trolling so I suggest you stop fool.

The 70's may be considered to be the 'golden age' of hvywt boxing but that doesn't neccesarily mean it was the most talented.

Please tell me what's so talented about the fatties and juicers of today?

Can you sit here and honestly say you think Gerry Quarry would be a competitive fighter today?

The fact that you've asked this question shows your ignorance of that era.

Or Chuvalo? How about Karl Mildenberger? Come on man, show you have some common sense or even sanity.

That's what I should be telling you.

I understand the need to glorify legends and all but enough is enough, the fighters of the 70's don't compare to todays fighters.

I know you like glorifying fatties, but you are right in that statement. They're not fit to carry the 70's jockstrap.

The only advantage they had was activity.

Lastly, I didn't compare boxing to golf.

Yes you did genius.

Maybe you got lost in that thinking about typing and eating and when the next cartoon was coming on.

There's no need to tell me your activities.

But if you A) Think Wladimir was at his best in that fight or B) Feel like Sanders was a bum, I have to say you are pretty much an idiot.

I've already told you what Sanders was, but anyway I was using YOUR own logic against you.

I'm done taking you to school.

Why aren't you in school?

Ziggy Stardust
04-24-2011, 02:46 PM
You are on my ignore list but I had a feeling that you were responding to me so I'll write back one last time. You have honestly got to be the most narrow minded hating fool this forum has ever produced and If I never see another post from you again it will be too soon. Hope you enjoyed talking blind ignorance to me so often because those were the last words of yours that will ever be read by me. Enjoy.

Well gee it must be your lucky day cuz you get the bonus plan.....here's another post for you to read :geek9:

Ziggy Stardust
04-24-2011, 02:48 PM

Opinions are like azzholes: The wrong people have them and they're all full of sh1t.....especially yours so you better wipe your hole REAL good :geek9:

Poet

JAB5239
04-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Ok, you are stupid for being a Cowboy fan.............

Thats ok it doesn't hurt my feelings. I've been a Cowboys fan for 35 years and proud of it. 8 Super Bowl appearances, 5 wins.

See how ignorant that sounds? Grow up.

What sounds ignorant is calling Tommy Morrison a "white" Joe Frazier. Morrison was an offensive beast, but he couldn't take a punch, lacked great stamina and never succeeded any where near the level of Frazier. I think its you who needs to grow up son.

Mr. Invincible
04-24-2011, 04:16 PM
If you honesty believe that 45 year old Foreman is better than his 70s version, I feel pity for you.

Morrison was a good fighter, but had a major failing in his chin. you cant honestly think that he would have beaten Ali like Frazier did, do you?

Maybe you and others have confused what I've said. Maybe that's why I'm so hated here. I'll repeat what I said. Once.

Morrison would have KO'd most of Ali's competition. When one looks closely into Tommy's record, you can find that he was only truly dominated by a legend in Lennox Lewis. The Bentt fight was a fluke while the Mercer fight Tommy had clearly under control until getting caught. It's boxing, it happens.

What this all means is that I think the 90's crop of heavyweights were a better bunch than the 70's and that the crop today are only looking so bad because of Klitschko dominance.

Mr. Invincible
04-24-2011, 04:20 PM
You: Morrison would knock Ali's opponents out cold

Me: Morrison couldn't even knock out an over 40 version of George Foreman

You: Morrison was a white version of Joe Frazier

Me. Really? I never saw Frazier getting knocked out and barely surviving against fighters on the level of Ray Mercer, Ross Puritty and Michael Bentt.

You: You're a racist and don't like white fighters

Me: Keep trolling....

Hmm, where do I start?

I won't. Have fun in delusion.

Steak
04-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Maybe you and others have confused what I've said. Maybe that's why I'm so hated here. I'll repeat what I said. Once.

Morrison would have KO'd most of Ali's competition. When one looks closely into Tommy's record, you can find that he was only truly dominated by a legend in Lennox Lewis. The Bentt fight was a fluke while the Mercer fight Tommy had clearly under control until getting caught. It's boxing, it happens.

What this all means is that I think the 90's crop of heavyweights were a better bunch than the 70's and that the crop today are only looking so bad because of Klitschko dominance.

so you think Morrison would have KOed Foreman, Frazier, Liston, Patterson, Norton, etc...?

do I have to remind you that two 70s Heavyweights, Holmes and Foreman, both had success in the 90s even though they over 40 and obviously way past it?

how about the fact that 45 year old Holmes beat Mercer one sidedly, when Morrison got KOed by him and Lewis struggled with him?

Mr. Invincible
04-24-2011, 04:24 PM
An all too familiar statement by stubborn trolls, like yourself.

Moderators ban for trolling so I suggest you stop fool.

Please tell me what's so talented about the fatties and juicers of today?

The fact that you've asked this question shows your ignorance of that era.

That's what I should be telling you.

I know you like glorifying fatties, but you are right in that statement. They're not fit to carry the 70's jockstrap.

Yes you did genius.

There's no need to tell me your activities.

I've already told you what Sanders was, but anyway I was using YOUR own logic against you.

Why aren't you in school?

I seriously stopped reading when you made mention that you think Quarry would be competitive against a Klitschko. I realize now that this discussion is pointless.

Maybe I should move to another topic on nsb where people aren't lost in time. (aka: delusion)

Mr. Invincible
04-24-2011, 04:34 PM
What sounds ignorant is calling Tommy Morrison a "white" Joe Frazier. Morrison was an offensive beast, but he couldn't take a punch, lacked great stamina and never succeeded any where near the level of Frazier. I think its you who needs to grow up son.

Morrison was a lot like Frazier? Head movement, left hook, compact punches. If it's not plain to see, I'm afraid for all your exploits here, you don't know too much about boxing. Frazier did probably have a better chin but he was also destroyed twice by a guy Morrison managed to beat right before his greatest win. I'm not on here trying to insult anyone , hell I live in Dallas, lol. I was making a point for those on here not to be so narrow minded and give the Klitschko's their due. They would be near the top of or the best in the heavyweight division in any era. Even the smallish 70's era you people so covet.

And as for the level of success doesn't get any better in the heavyweight division than being a world titlist. So, effectively, Frazier and Morrision found quite close to the same success. (Plus, I think part of the kicker here is that Ali is overrated too based on really losing twice to Frazier. Vitali would beat Frazier 10 out of 10 times.)

Ziggy Stardust
04-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Morrison was a lot like Frazier? Head movement, left hook, compact punches. If it's not plain to see, I'm afraid for all your exploits here, you don't know too much about boxing. Frazier did probably have a better chin but he was also destroyed twice by a guy Morrison managed to beat right before his greatest win. I'm not on here trying to insult anyone , hell I live in Dallas, lol. I was making a point for those on here not to be so narrow minded and give the Klitschko's their due. They would be near the top of or the best in the heavyweight division in any era. Even the smallish 70's era you people so covet.

And as for the level of success doesn't get any better in the heavyweight division than being a world titlist. So, effectively, Frazier and Morrision found quite close to the same success. (Plus, I think part of the kicker here is that Ali is overrated too based on really losing twice to Frazier. Vitali would beat Frazier 10 out of 10 times.)

You know, a few days ago I saw a post I thought had to be the most retarded I've seen in my 7 years on Boxing Scene.....this post comes damn close. It's amazing the lengths the Klithuggers will go in a vain attempt to make their mediocre heros look good.

Poet

Mr. Invincible
04-24-2011, 04:42 PM
so you think Morrison would have KOed Foreman, Frazier, Liston, Patterson, Norton, etc...?

do I have to remind you that two 70s Heavyweights, Holmes and Foreman, both had success in the 90s even though they over 40 and obviously way past it?

how about the fact that 45 year old Holmes beat Mercer one sidedly, when Morrison got KOed by him and Lewis struggled with him?

The key word was , most of his opponents.

I've already been over the Foreman situation. He was a lot like B-hop. He was a better boxer later in his career while he was a better slugger earlier. He was an exception to the rule.

Sure, Holms was a great fighter in his day. But he was still small by todays standards and he may have beaten Mercer but Tommy was beating Mercer too before getting caught. Holmes was more defensive oriented. Tommy played more into Rays hands. Styles make fights.

I'm not saying the 70's fighters weren't good, but I think, like Ali, they were small and overrated.

JAB5239
04-24-2011, 04:42 PM

Somebody else deal with this guys stupidity, Im to tired.

Ziggy Stardust
04-24-2011, 04:45 PM
And for those who haven't been following this thread closely Mr. Invincible is an obvious sock-puppet alt.....the only question is which known demented Klitlicker it belongs to.

Poet

joseph5620
04-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Somebody else deal with this guys stupidity, Im to tired.

I am too lol. It's not worth my time :lol1:

Forza
04-24-2011, 08:32 PM
morrison and frazier have literally nothing in common besides good left hooks.

Vadrigar.
04-25-2011, 01:03 AM
I seriously stopped reading when you made mention that you think Quarry would be competitive against a Klitschko.

You stopped reading at nothing, since I never mentioned that. Stop putting words into my mouth you little b*tch.

I realize now that this discussion is pointless.

I realise you know nothing about boxing.

Maybe I should move to another topic on nsb where people aren't lost in time. (aka: delusion)

Be my guest, go back to the filthy gutter you came from.

Vadrigar.
04-25-2011, 01:06 AM

Stopped reading at head movement.