View Full Version : Need to put on 10+ pounds of muscle.

Equilibrium
04-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Long story short i got a job opportunity that could be very lucrative for me in the near future.

I'm 6'4 245. They said i needed to put on some weight to look bigger. I had let myself go a little recently as i should be 235 or so. But they want me to get even bigger. I have seen some of the guys i would work with and some of them are fat as hell. Like 6'2 400 pounds and **** like that.

i don't want to get fat so ill put on some muscle. I won't juice or anything, im a stoner and juicing would freak me out.

So over the past few years i have been mostly boxing like 4-5 days a week and lifting weights only 1 day a week. With sparring as often as possible.

I'll switch to lifting 3 days a week, and box on off days when im not too sore, i'll make sure to run atleast once a week.

What i want to know is how to eat.

Recently i get up, an hour later i go to the gym for about 2-3 hours. Right after the gym i drink a protein shake and eat an apple.

I go on that for about 4 hours. Then i get a real decent sized meal with lots of proteins and vegetalbes, end it with a fruit and thats it for the day.

Now i have been lifting more for like 4 days, so thats two days of lifting and i actually lost weight. So i might not be eating enough.

So should i just eat a lot more? Good food, not much junk food.

Would i gain more weight that way?

And yes i know it will **** up my cardio but:

Money > Cardio

Thanks.

2Fast
04-20-2011, 11:50 AM
It would take 2 years of lifting weights and dieting to gain 10 pounds of muscle clean. I would suggest to juice if it really needs to happen fast.

solo20
04-20-2011, 03:56 PM
It would take 2 years of lifting weights and dieting to gain 10 pounds of muscle clean. I would suggest to juice if it really needs to happen fast.

i agree with this guy 10 pounds is alot of muscle to get in one year. most guys can get about 6 pounds a year put 10 for get it get roids if you need to see gains fast

-Jay-
04-21-2011, 01:56 PM
I highly doubt either of the guys who posted above know much about steroids. Having seen what happens if you do not cycle properly first hand I wouldn't recommend that. Just get lifting and eat like a horse.

*Boss*
04-21-2011, 03:50 PM
What job is that ? Anyway , if you want to get bigger , you need to lift hvy , eat a lot , sleep a lot.

TKD1
04-21-2011, 04:22 PM
It is impossible to get 10 pounds of muscle in less than 2 years, and if you need it in months NO WAY, but if you want to gain some weight well then leave heavy weights and eat like a Leon, use weight gainers, alot of protein, good luck

Klemman
04-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Do you need to be bigger, or look bigger.

Creatine will increase the water in your muscles making you larger. Note that I didn't say stronger. IF you diet down you will lose weight but may look bigger (or at least more muscular) even if you are actually smaller.

Squirrel
04-22-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm really confused why people are saying it takes 2 years to gain 10lbs of muscle, what the hell are you guys on about?

You could clean bulk that in 10 weeks if you know what you're doing.

2Fast
04-22-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm really confused why people are saying it takes 2 years to gain 10lbs of muscle, what the hell are you guys on about?

You could clean bulk that in 10 weeks if you know what you're doing.

:rofl::rofl:

Squirrel
04-22-2011, 11:35 AM
2 years, 10 pounds is absolutely absurd. Unless your idea of lifting is doing 3x10 bicep curls 5 times a week followed by a burger.

2Fast
04-22-2011, 12:06 PM
2 years, 10 pounds is absolutely absurd. Unless your idea of lifting is doing 3x10 bicep curls 5 times a week followed by a burger.

Have you done bodybuilding?

Equilibrium
04-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the replies people, for those of you asking what job it is. For like 2-3 years now i have been bouncing, it's ****ty and im tired of it.

I got an opportunity for a much better job, in a much better club and i would be paid double what i do now.

The guy suggested i get a little bigger, i have always beleived in the quote "It's not the size of the dog in the it's the size of the fight in the dog."

But whatever, he seems to think that tall guys who are just fat are impressive. I have seen some of the guys i would work with and man...those are some big mother****ers, even by my standards.

Anyway, i lifted 3 times this week, boxed 1 day and went on a run tonight and it's going pretty well, i though i would be more sore than i am. Those protein shakes work wonder.

blockhar
04-23-2011, 10:13 AM
yeah, some bouncers are huge. linebackers and o line men. but just stack on the weight with protein and lift heavy. and still box and make sure you stretch well

msagrain
04-23-2011, 10:24 AM
You need to eating around calories: 4175, Carbs: 418g, Protein: 418g, Fat: 93g a day. All clean food - 6 meals a day. maybe lower a bit for a nice slower bulk.

FabsDaMan
04-25-2011, 06:06 PM
do the P90X for 90 days. It has a meal plan to help you lose fat and gain muscle. The workouts are pretty intense so you should gain enough muscle if you eat right and use the right amount of weights in 90 days!!!

Shambleton
04-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Of course it's possible. All these guys saying it isn't are jokers who know nothing. I know people who have put on twice that within the time frame.

Lift heavy, eat and sleep. Also do different types of lifting, don't just do curls, squat and press. Do different exercises and break up your routine to gain muscle fast. Also pyramid your weights can help you bulk up fast.

paulsinghnl
04-25-2011, 06:27 PM
yeah you need to keep doing different exercises of heavy lifting to get bigger faster, along with good rest and good food, you need a lot of fuel to get big enough. and you need to shock your muscles so that they adapt with the different movement you're doing with your muscles, thus getting bigger.

NOW BEFORE JUICING: maybe you can use some protein shakes, some creatine, Nitro oxide, there's a lot more alternatives before u need to start juicing.

and i know bouncers themselves know good exercise tips too.. u can ask ur colleagues for sure, if you want.

Equilibrium
04-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Alright here is what i did today, you guys tell me if its enough. I lift as heavy as i can for every excersive.

Got up, had coffee with 2 protein power scoops and one apple(about 400 calories overall). And hour later i did this:

Bench press 4x6 reps
Dead lift 4x6 reps
Overhead press 2 x 10 reps
Power curls 4x6 with each arm
Pull ups 2 x 5 reps
chin ups 2x5 reps
Triceps 2 x 10 reps
Chest with dumbells 2 x 8 reps
leans with dumb bells 2 x 10 reps each side
some type of rowing exercise 2 x 12 reps
dumbells shrugs 1 x 30 reps

3 hours later i had a real meal, like 1200 calories and i was full. Mostly good food.

Then i did all kind of sit ups, overall 120 reps, then did 2 x 20 set of dips.

Just now, about 5 hours after that. I just went for a run, then did some squats.

And now im eating a grilled cheese sandwich with an aplle a juice. Ill go to bed soon.

Am i eating enough?

I don't feel sore atleast.

Shinx32
04-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Try to get a rough idea of your BMR (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/) and how many calories you take in each day. Start eating more. Regardless of what you do, if you eat more calories than you burn, you willl gain weight. If you're working out hard, you should be able to gain a fair amount of muscle, but it isn't going to come especially easy.

Jack3d
04-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Alright here is what i did today, you guys tell me if its enough. I lift as heavy as i can for every excersive.

Lifting heavy for every exercise is not necessary. I'd start with a compound lift and go heavy on that. Then your accessory exercises use moderate weight for sets of 8-10.

Got up, had coffee with 2 protein power scoops and one apple(about 400 calories overall). And hour later i did this:

Instead of an Apple, a bowl of Oatmeal. (not the instant flavored crap) Old Fashioned Rolled Oats with some cinnamon, nutmeg or other spices. Sometime I throw in a little Hershey's Chocolate Syrup.

Bench press 4x6 reps
Dead lift 4x6 reps
Overhead press 2 x 10 reps
Power curls 4x6 with each arm
Pull ups 2 x 5 reps
chin ups 2x5 reps
Triceps 2 x 10 reps
Chest with dumbells 2 x 8 reps
leans with dumb bells 2 x 10 reps each side
some type of rowing exercise 2 x 12 reps
dumbells shrugs 1 x 30 reps

You are doing way too much ****ing shyt.

Pick one or two body parts to train at a time. 5-6 Exercises for Major Body parts (Chest, Legs, Back). 3-4 Exercises for Minor Body parts (Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders)

Preferably train 1 major body part and 1 minor body part.

Or train 1 major body part at a time. Do Shoulders on their own day and Biceps and Triceps on the same day.

You aren't growing or feeling sore being you are doing too much. You shouldn't be at the gym working out for more than 1.5 Hours at the very most.

3 hours later i had a real meal, like 1200 calories and i was full. Mostly good food.

Don't wait 3 hours after you workout to eat. Right after you finish get some simple carbs and protein. A gatorade and 2 scoops of protein.

Then an hour later eat again. More protein and carbs. Like two glasses of milk and a banana.

Every 3 hours you should be eating. And every meal should have some quality protein.

Drink a lot of water.

Your three most important meals of the day (in order) Post Workout, Breakfast and Bedtime.

Before bed protein powder or a cup of cottage cheese.

Then i did all kind of sit ups, overall 120 reps, then did 2 x 20 set of dips.

Just now, about 5 hours after that. I just went for a run, then did some squats.

Dude relax you do way too much. If you overtrain you won't grow. Period.

If you want to do your cardio do it after your weight training or do it in the morning. Then do your weight training later in the day.

frosty-g
05-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Get him on Starting Strength (book by Rippetoe & Kilgore) and tons of milk (tells you in the book). I'm a "hard-gainer" but have stuck on 11kg in just under 2 months. Not put on much fat either, couple of% extra bodyfat but that's a piece of p*** to cut back off when you box. best way to put on weight- all natural and gets you damn strong with functional strength gains that transfer well to sport.

Danny Gunz
05-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Long story short i got a job opportunity that could be very lucrative for me in the near future.

I'm 6'4 245. They said i needed to put on some weight to look bigger. I had let myself go a little recently as i should be 235 or so. But they want me to get even bigger. I have seen some of the guys i would work with and some of them are fat as hell. Like 6'2 400 pounds and **** like that.

i don't want to get fat so ill put on some muscle. I won't juice or anything, im a stoner and juicing would freak me out.

So over the past few years i have been mostly boxing like 4-5 days a week and lifting weights only 1 day a week. With sparring as often as possible.

I'll switch to lifting 3 days a week, and box on off days when im not too sore, i'll make sure to run atleast once a week.

What i want to know is how to eat.

Recently i get up, an hour later i go to the gym for about 2-3 hours. Right after the gym i drink a protein shake and eat an apple.

I go on that for about 4 hours. Then i get a real decent sized meal with lots of proteins and vegetalbes, end it with a fruit and thats it for the day.

Now i have been lifting more for like 4 days, so thats two days of lifting and i actually lost weight. So i might not be eating enough.

So should i just eat a lot more? Good food, not much junk food.

Would i gain more weight that way?

And yes i know it will **** up my cardio but:

Money > Cardio

Thanks.

Hit me up with a pm i went througha very successful bulking phase not too long ago.

It basically comes down to know what you take in daily now. Then increasing that so you will gain weight.

You would want to gain your calorie intake about 1k while keeping high carbs and proteins and not to much fat. Ditch the cardio stick to 3 days lifting a week, and most of all keep a high and consistent calorie and protein intake. Make sure the fats you take in are healthy fats and eat 5 or so meals a day

RurouniYume
05-15-2011, 01:22 PM
eat more and make sure you rest adequately

Grave
05-17-2011, 10:18 PM
You can do it depending on your experience with weights.

If you cant squat 300 yet then its very doable. I'd simply do full body work x3 a week basing each session around a squat, press and pull, each for 25 reps. 3x8, 5x5, doesn't matter.

If you're over a 300/220/450 total things are going to be a lot harder. I'd base each session around a squat, press and pull with 2-3 assistance lifts for 3-5x10 and use a basic periodisation template. Your main goal should be to get another wheel on each lift.

Dietwise I'd aim to keep my micros tight and get 2g/llb BW. I don't know why but every time I've used it ive got good clean gains.