View Full Version : What made Israel Vazquez lose his prime?

Pastrano
04-19-2011, 07:58 PM
It was the third Marquez fight, wasn't it? Its the only explanation I can find, coz Vazquez didn't fight after that for over a year and a half. And by then it took him too long to get rid of a mediocre fighter, 2 of the scorecards were even EVEN at the time of the stoppage!

Sad to see him go so fast coz he was so good, exciting and young. But hopefully he'll come back. I read an interview with him last year where he sounded very pro-retirement, but that can change.

SCtrojansbaby
04-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah the 3rd fight shot him

EMSLDB
04-19-2011, 08:16 PM
obviously a long career of tough fights if you his fights with Jhonny gonzalez and his 2nd fight with oscar larios he took just as much punishment as he did any of the marquez fights

RINGG
04-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Vazquez never was a boxer type and always a warrior. That style is hard on fighters. But I never thought his skills slipped as much as his prone to cutting increasing was his downfall. After so many wars the scar tissue around his eyes cause him to bleed more easily. Much like Vito Antuofermo years before.

Wild Blue Yonda
04-20-2011, 05:03 AM
It wasnt just Marquez, though that was likely the biggest contributing factor. There were other tough nights as well. I think in beating a plainly more talented and refined fighter in Marquez, two from four, marked the upper-limits of what a brawler like Vazquez could achieve.