View Full Version : If Mosley pulls the upset next month...

GrandpaBernard
04-18-2011, 09:39 PM
How much does it help his legacy? How much does it hurt manny's legacy?

IronDanHamza
04-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Gives Mosley a pretty big boost in terms of Legacy.

Does nothing for Pac. Doesn't move him any lower on my list.

Juof
04-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Gives Mosley a pretty big boost in terms of Legacy.

Does nothing for Pac. Doesn't move him any lower on my list.

This pretty much it also gives mayweather a reason not to fight pacquiao

mickey malone
04-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Mosley's too old and he knows it. He's stoking up his retirement fund and i don't blame him. With the absence of PBF he may aswell fill his boots.
I can't see an upset, but if i'm wrong, of course it will effect both legacies. People would harp on about Pac losing to a 40 year old for evermore, which in turn would boost Mosley's all time standing, just as it has with Hopkins and Foreman.

New England
04-19-2011, 08:06 AM
I honestly believe that shane is very far gone

his speech is starting to deteriorate. shane's never been a great talker, but he's never had trouble keeping sentences together and forming them with some level of continuity, as he's doing now. his word's are starting to get caught in the sides of his mouth

he had a draw with sergio mora. he couldn't deal with mora's angles and his footspeed.

lemme go over it again, amigos.... shane was having trouble with sERGIO MORA's speed.

shane's the biggest no - hoper that manny has fought, given the state of his career. he's looked awful in training.

if he somehow turns the clock back and beats manny it's going to be via stoppage, or a damage based decision(manny getting hurt and surviving.)
he's not outboxing him. he is not that guy, he never really was.
he's going to show up to fight

if he somehow pulls it off and looks good against a solid pacquiao who fights the right fight his stock is going up. way up. and manny wont feel a huge setback in terms of his total legacy. after all, he's a former flyweight

if he pulls it off it will likely be because of shortcomings on pacquiao's end
he's eventually going to show the effect of a long career at the top of the game with an aggressive style. i doubt shane's going to be the guy who makes pacquiao get old over night.

my guess, though, is that we'll see a deteriorated shane
and a manny that's not going to be impressive enough to warrant huge leaps in terms of legacy

and the legacies will remain largely intact after a manny decision

bojangles1987
04-19-2011, 08:11 AM
It greatly enhances Mosley's career, mainly due to how far past it he is. Pacquiao losing wouldn't hurt him really to me because of where he is in his career. It would just be very funny.

Holtol
04-19-2011, 09:03 AM
I think its posible for Mosley to pull the upset. I think Mosley is the biggest puncher Manny has faced. He almost knocked out Floyd Mayweather and I can't believe the Mora fight was a draw. I walked out on the fight after the 7th round and I could not believe he did not get the decision.

Anything can happen and of course boxers are put under a microscope more then other sports because of the infrequency of their fights so of course it will effect both of their legacys. All it takes is for Manny to be feeling under the weather or to get distracted for just a small fraction of a second and he can be knocked out. Small chance but it could be as high as 20%. Who knows?

qari
04-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Mosleys stock rises

Paqiaous stock decreases ALOT since shane is 40! and the way mayweather beat mosley soo easily evry1 would h8 pacman and that wud be the end of him

mrboxer
04-19-2011, 09:37 AM
How much does it help his legacy? How much does it hurt manny's legacy?these fighters are well past their primes and are in this for the money i would not pay a cent to watch this fight:boxing:

The Surgeon
04-20-2011, 05:08 AM
Mannys stock takes a kicking, Shane is a past it dinosaur. A loss to him would merely show that Mannys wins up in weight have been well chosen and the weight draining thing will appear to have alot more substance to it.

Still slice it however u like Pac was a FLYWEIGHT, what he has done is Nothing Short of incredible just look at the stars on his record for gods sake!

Mosley? His stock rises, as it did when he beat Margarito and it would be the perfect time to bow out. This is the result i pray for

Pinoy4ever
04-21-2011, 04:50 PM
I actually think that Floyd Jr. wants to meet Pacquiao if he does lose to Mosley.

Shane Mosley wants to be Buster Douglas but it ain't going to happen....

DeepSleep
04-21-2011, 10:44 PM
I can't see Shane pulling it off unless he gets a break and lands a bomb out of the blue. If somehow he pulls it off it would boost his legacy tremendously if he could in his deteriorated state upset an in prime Manny. Manny losing would lead to his stock dropping and most likely leaving Mayweather as the consensus top fighter of the era.

joseph5620
04-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Mannys stock takes a kicking, Shane is a past it dinosaur. A loss to him would merely show that Mannys wins up in weight have been well chosen and the weight draining thing will appear to have alot more substance to it.

Still slice it however u like Pac was a FLYWEIGHT, what he has done is Nothing Short of incredible just look at the stars on his record for gods sake!

Mosley? His stock rises, as it did when he beat Margarito and it would be the perfect time to bow out. This is the result i pray for

I don't see how it can be seen any other way. I don't expect Pacquiao to lose but if he does his stock drops tremendously. As it would for any other fighter heavily favored against Mosley. Pacquiao is supposed to win this fight. If he doesn't his reputation takes a hit just like it would any other fighter in his position.

But I don't see Shane having anything other than a punchers chance. And that's not enough for this type of fight.

Walt Liquor
04-22-2011, 04:03 PM
I'd be shocked if this is a concern.

The Surgeon
04-22-2011, 04:12 PM
But I don't see Shane having anything other than a punchers chance. And that's not enough for this type of fight.

Even tho Shane is a puncher and he is despite what some pundits believe for some reason, Manny seems to hold one helluva shot these days, his chin is solid up at WW and he is tough to boot. Mosley has a hard night ahead

Mugwump
04-27-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm at a loss to explain why Pac's legacy would suffer. Let's be honest here. Shane Mosley is a champion fighter. A born winner who will go down as one of the best fighters of recent years beating quality opponents. He has been written off in the past (most recently against Margarito) and has subsequently silenced his critics with gutsy performances. Against Pac he will be the bigger man and arguably the hardest hitter Pac has faced.

Yes, he looked out of his depth against Mayweather. But he's not the first fighter to suffer that fate. Mayweather has made a career out of making opponents look foolish (consider Marquez a highly skilled and HOF fighter who whilst operating outside his ideal weight range was reduced almost to the level of an amateur).

Mosley has always struggled against slick boxers and most good judges who I respect in here didn't give him a hope beforehand. I'm also willing to cut him a bit of slack over the Mora fight. Champion fighters at the veteran stage of their careers often find it difficult to stay motivated against lesser names.

But Mosley won't lack any motivation against Pac. He knows that Pac will come at him and Shane has never shirked from a head-on scrap. I agree that his best days are behind him. But I also think Manny is on the downslope.

The extra weight has certainly taken the snap out of Pac's speed. And I've noticed him blowing a lot harder toward the end of his recent fights. But more worrying is his defence. Since his epic battles with Morales and Barrera Manny's defence gradually improved. He was never difficult to catch but Freddie Roach did make him a more capable defender. However, since the last Marquez battle I've noticed some of his old bad habits resurfacing. Versus Cotto he took needless punishment. Against Clottey (who was effectively fighting to go the distance) his defence was wide open to the occasional uppercut. But the Margarito fight was significantly worse. The plaster-casted cheat is ponderously slow and yet at times Manny seemed more difficult to miss.

Downslide or no - Manny must be the favourite. But writing off a ruthless competitor like Shane is foolhardy. If he can catch and hurt Mayweather he can certainly catch and hurt Manny. His hand speed is still noticeable. His angles are still troubling and - importantly - his chin is still mountain-like. I don't think Shane has the gas to go twelve rounds full-tilt (although it wasn't all that long ago that he seemed like he had limitless energy reserves clouting Margo around the ring) so his best chance will be to give it his all for the first few rounds and see if he can blast Pac out of there.

If Pac wins it will further underline his claim to being one of the finest fighters of modern times. If Shane wins he will rightly be acclaimed a great champion. Either way, I don't see such as a sleight against the loser. Some of the greatest fighters in history have come up short taking on one weight division too many. And Shane Mosley's reputation can hardly be tarnished by a loss against a fighter of Manny's calibre.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm really looking forward to this bout. It's a boxing purist's dream and I aim to enjoy every minute of it - regardless of who wins.