View Full Version : Jorge Paez.

MasterODisaster
04-16-2011, 08:02 PM
I just came across footage of one of my forgotten old favorites in Paez, and I was wondering if anyone knew any of the "stories" about his behavior before fights were true or not. I heard crazy stories of how he partied all night long, sometimes just a day or two before fights, then would have to do crazy things like jog around the rooftops of Vegas hotels in sweats or garbage bags to both cut some added weight, and to jettison some of the toxins from his body from the previous evenings antics.

I was also wondering what some of you thought of him and his skills as a fighter. I used to love watching him fight early on in his career, he had some great skills, but I think all the partying wore him down unfortunately.

Thanks for any information and opinions you may have for me in advance.

EMSLDB
04-17-2011, 01:01 AM
i wish he would have unified vs fenech & esparragoza. definately was an entertaining showmen beat some good fighter like espinoza grove & dorsey.

TBear
04-17-2011, 01:25 AM
"The Clown Prince" was actually part of a circus in Mexico. First time I seen him was when the USA network aired the Grove title defence against him. Grove was ahead on the scorecards going into the 15th was dropped three times in the final round and lost his IBF featherweight title. Paez was one of the most entertaining characters I have seen in many years of watching boxing. Whether it was his crazy outfits, the words carved into his hair or his clowning and dancing there was little boring about him. And he could fight. Perhaps not a lb4lb fighter but his unique style and skills troubled boxers and punchers alike for alot of years.

MasterODisaster
04-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Has anyone heard any of the crazy stories of his partying before fights? I heard some crazy stuff, and there must be more of them out there that I haven't heard of.

He sure was entertaining, the Grove fight was my first experience watching him as well, made me a fan of his right there. Funny how I disliked Hamed though, the difference to me was that Hamed was an arrogant pr1ck, while Paez was just a goofy entertainer.