View Full Version : Converted Southpaws

GrandpaBernard
04-15-2011, 11:56 PM
How would Oscar and Cotto turn out had they fight out of the stance they're supposed to fight out of?

TouchyAndalou
04-16-2011, 07:12 AM
Both guys are known for having strong jabs and left hooks along with underdeveloped right hands, which, according to conventional wisdom, is what you'd expect from a back-the-front fighter. They've both been successful fighting the way they do, however it's difficult to predict whether they'd be better, worse, or the same had they fought their entire careers out of a southpaw stance. They're both fairly conventional, straight-up boxer-punchers, so I don't see that either of them would be especially awkward southpaws.

I can't imagine that either would be markedly better fighters as career southpaws, as much of their success was built on their very strong lead hands, but they were probably both talented enough to succeed to a somewhat similar degree either way.

IronDanHamza
04-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Mike Tyson was a converted soutpaw I believe.

Barn
04-16-2011, 08:02 AM
I mentioned that a few months ago, I'm sure I seen it on a documentry but, couldn't find anything to back it up.

It was because Cus didn't like training southpaws I believe.

The Iron Man
04-16-2011, 08:37 AM

I'm pretty sure that's not right. I remember seeing it in a doc as well, but im almost certain its not true.

IronDanHamza
04-16-2011, 08:46 AM
I'm pretty sure that's not right. I remember seeing it in a doc as well, but im almost certain its not true.

There isn't any conclusive evidence that I know of.

But alot of people claim he is naturally left handed.

In one of his early fights the commentator talked about how he is a converted soutpaw but I can't for the life of me remember who he was fighting.

I'm not sure, to be honest. People claim it and he hits harder with his left hand IMO, but I guess until he comes out and confirms it we won't know.

The Iron Man
04-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Yeah I mean from things i have heard, its that it isn't true. He has openly said his right is his best punch and from different footage i've seen he uses his right hand

Ziggy Stardust
04-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah I mean from things i have heard, its that it isn't true. He has openly said his right is his best punch and from different footage i've seen he uses his right hand

You are correct: Tyson DID say his right was his best punch and from watching his fights I agree with him. People think of his left as the KO punch but the truth is most of the time it was just the punch that finished off a guy who's lights were already put out by the right.

Poet

GrandpaBernard
04-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Mike Tyson was stupid famous. We should be able to find some footage of him signing an autograph, so we can figure out which hand is his dominant.

The Surgeon
04-16-2011, 01:09 PM
He shook my hand with his right, but then do all leftys do that? Ok i just wanted peeps to know i shook the hand that ruined my fighters hopes and dreams lol

I Know he said his right was his best and he's probably right but he could easily KO a man with either hand and often went southpaw in a fight tho usually very briefly. I thought he was a natural lefty, donty know where i heard it but i definatley did

GrandpaBernard
04-16-2011, 01:09 PM
I can't find any clips of him signing autographs, but I did find clips where he initiates handshakes with his right hand.

The Surgeon
04-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Im surprised more Right handed fighters dont fight from the southpaw stance, given that a soutrhpaw opponent is a trickier assignment for most.

The Surgeon
04-16-2011, 01:12 PM
I can't find any clips of him signing autographs, but I did find clips where he initiates handshakes with his right hand.

But, and i could be wrong, dont most left handed guys shake with their right hand as most people they will be shaking hands with will be right handed?

GrandpaBernard
04-16-2011, 01:14 PM
But, and i could be wrong, dont most left handed guys shake with their right hand as most people they will be shaking hands with will be right handed?good point

Mike also uses his right hand to point at people. The clips I watched of him so far show action with the right. I haven't seen anything to suggest he's left handed yet.

I remember he would get trigger happy and end up in the southpaw stance a few times back when he was boxing, but that's the only evidence I seen for him being a lefty.

IronDanHamza
04-16-2011, 01:19 PM
But, and i could be wrong, dont most left handed guys shake with their right hand as most people they will be shaking hands with will be right handed?

Most people shake hands with thier right hand. It's just something you do.

I don't think the fact Mike Tyson shakes with his right hand should conclude he is right handed.

I have shaken hands with; Miguel Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya, Naseem Hamed and many others who are left handed but shook with their right hands.

When I met Tyson he shook with his right hand but again I don't think that conlcludes anything.

If Tyson said his best punch is his right hand then it's more than likely he is right handed, though.

The Surgeon
04-16-2011, 01:24 PM

I don't think the fact Mike Tyson shakes with his right hand should conclude he is right handed.

I have shaken hands with; Miguel Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya, Naseem Hamed and many others who are left handed but shook with their right hands.

When I met Tyson he shook with his right hand but again I don't think that conlcludes anything.

If Tyson said his best punch is his right hand then it's more than likely he is right handed, though.

Mabey, im right handed tho and my left hook/uppercut is my best punch so even thats not very conclusive.
Who was the coolest of the guys u met Dan?

Ziggy Stardust
04-16-2011, 01:26 PM

Then again, Sonny Liston was (I believe anyway, correct me if I'm wrong about this) a natural right hander who's best punches were his left jab and left hook so go figure.

Poet

IronDanHamza
04-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Mabey, im right handed tho and my left hook/uppercut is my best punch so even thats not very conclusive.
Who was the coolest of the guys u met Dan?

The coolest out of the ones I mentioned? Man, I'm not sure.

Most of them out of those names I only got to speak with very breifly but I would say Mike Tyson. He was such a gentleman and his knowledge of the history of boxing is utterly astonishing.

I only met Cotto last year in London but he was a very cool guy, spoke with him for like 25 minutes although his english is far from great.

The coolest guy I have ever met is probably Ken Buchanan, though. Met him here in my home town a few years ago. One of the nicest, softly spoken men I have met in my life.

Speaking of which what hand is Buchanan? As we know he's an orthodox fighter but his best punch is his left. And guess what? He shakes with his right :lol1:

IronDanHamza
04-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Then again, Sonny Liston was (I believe anyway, correct me if I'm wrong about this) a natural right hander who's best punches were his left jab and left hook so go figure.

Poet

Great point. Again, I'm not sure I also always presumed he was right handed.

I'm really not sure.

Ziggy Stardust
04-16-2011, 02:00 PM
The coolest out of the ones I mentioned? Man, I'm not sure.

Most of them out of those names I only got to speak with very breifly but I would say Mike Tyson. He was such a gentleman and his knowledge of the history of boxing is utterly astonishing.

I only met Cotto last year in London but he was a very cool guy, spoke with him for like 25 minutes although his english is far from great.

The coolest guy I have ever met is probably Ken Buchanan, though. Met him here in my home town a few years ago. One of the nicest, softly spoken men I have met in my life.

Speaking of which what hand is Buchanan? As we know he's an orthodox fighter but his best punch is his left. And guess what? He shakes with his right :lol1:

I had always heard Buchanan was a nice guy and class individual. Tyson's being a gentleman isn't surprising given his many inner contradictions. Tyson has always been the one guy among all the fighters of the past 30 that has the real depth of knowledge and appreciation of boxing and it's history as well as a profound respect for past greats. Tyson's the one fighter active or retired that I'd like to sit down with over a cup of coffee and break down old fight films.

Poet

Barn
04-16-2011, 02:09 PM
I had always heard Buchanan was a nice guy and class individual. Tyson's being a gentleman isn't surprising given his many inner contradictions. Tyson has always been the one guy among all the fighters of the past 30 that has the real depth of knowledge and appreciation of boxing and it's history as well as a profound respect for past greats. Tyson's the one fighter active or retired that I'd like to sit down with over a cup of coffee and break down old fight films.

Poet
I met Ken at an Amateur Boxing Show.

He was constantly offered ringside comfy seats but, preferred to sit on the hard benches up with all the normal people there. Had no quams about taking pictures or signing autographs and has given a signed book/gloves etc to the charity raffle on many, many occasions.
Great Guy.

IronDanHamza
04-16-2011, 02:12 PM

Poet

You most definitely heard correct, based of when I met him. If I had to describe him in one word it would be; class.

It's really was jaw dropping in all honesty. I mean, I have met him numerous times before but never had chance to speak to him for a length of time. We have all seen the tapes of him speaking on old time fights and I can say from experience he has no notes infront of him :lol1: He was just effortlessly reeling stats, quotes, fights, everything off the top of his head. Genuinely astonishing.

The Iron Man
04-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Well this is the most convincing footage i could find about Tyson being right handed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbQxe35BfJU

JAB5239
04-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Joe Frazier. I believe Gerry Cooney was also a converted southpaw.

SCtrojansbaby
04-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Well this is the most convincing footage i could find about Tyson being right handed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbQxe35BfJU

That is enough for me. Mike was a righty

TouchyAndalou
04-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Im surprised more Right handed fighters dont fight from the southpaw stance, given that a soutrhpaw opponent is a trickier assignment for most.It doubt it's just a simple case of deciding to fight from a southpaw stance and doing it well for a lot of boxers, as their foot speed and movement would likely be impeded by fighting in a way that feels unnatural and counter-intuitive.

IronDanHamza
03-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Marco Antonio Barrera
John H Stracey

Jim Jeffries
03-07-2012, 12:23 PM
How would Oscar and Cotto turn out had they fight out of the stance they're supposed to fight out of?

I think Oscar and Cooney wouldn't have been nearly as good as southpaws, because their right hands weren't strong enough to keep guys off of them. Cotto looks like he'd do fine either stance.