View Full Version : Who won Holyfield-Lewis II?

Steak
04-15-2011, 02:33 PM
the first fight was obviously a robbery, what about the rematch? Who did you have winning on the scorecards?

NChristo
04-15-2011, 02:44 PM
I'd have to watch it again (probably will tonight actually) but I think I had Lewis winning.
Will post scorecards later.

joseph5620
04-15-2011, 02:51 PM
the first fight was obviously a robbery, what about the rematch? Who did you have winning on the scorecards?

I personally never had Holyfield winning that fight. I've always felt that most people were expecting a blow out by Lewis. When Holyfield fought better and made it closer, a good number of people seem to think he won. I don't. He fought better but in no way did I see him deserving the decision.

Steak
04-15-2011, 02:54 PM
I personally never had Holyfield winning that fight. I've always felt that most people were expecting a blow out by Lewis. When Holyfield fought better and made it closer a lot of people seem to think he won. I don't. He fought better but in no way did I see him deserving the decision.

that scenario sees to happen a lot. when someone is doing much better than you expected, you just start giving them rounds they overall probably didnt deserve because youre more impressed with what theyre doing than the other guy.
I think a lot of people were doing that for Morales-Maidana.

joseph5620
04-15-2011, 02:59 PM
that scenario sees to happen a lot. when someone is doing much better than you expected, you just start giving them rounds they overall probably didnt deserve because youre more impressed with what theyre doing than the other guy.

That's a good example.

CarlosG815
04-15-2011, 03:25 PM

My thoughts exactly.

SCtrojansbaby
04-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Lewis won I don't see how anybody could of had Holyfield winning 6+ rounds?

studentofthegam
04-15-2011, 04:56 PM

I personally never had Holyfield winning that fight. I've always felt that most people were expecting a blow out by Lewis. When Holyfield fought better and made it closer, a good number of people seem to think he won. I don't. He fought better but in no way did I see him deserving the decision.

That was easily one of the worst championship matches Ive ever had the displeasure of watching again. Holyfield wasnt ferocious and Lenox was flat out lazy. They agreed to hug each other for a whole fight. That being said I scored it 115-114 Holyfield. After watching it again I wont argue for either side. I had it 6rounds(1,3,5,6,7,12) to 5(2,4,9,10) rounds and one even(8). It was an awful fight.

Wild Blue Yonda
04-15-2011, 08:18 PM
It was legitimately narrow, but Lewis edged it fair & square.

Holtol
04-15-2011, 09:18 PM
It's been a long time since I have watched the fight but I honestly thought Holyfield won. At the time I thought it was kind of a make up decision for the first fight. But I think Holyfield got the short end of the stick. I think he would much rather have a win and a loss to Lennox then a loss and a draw.

IMDAZED
04-15-2011, 09:33 PM
I think I had Lewis winning by a hair but I did walk away feeling a little strange about his performance. I know a lot of people who thought Evander won and I really wouldn't have had any qualms with that. Except, given what happened the first fight, that would really suck for Lennox.

joseph5620
04-15-2011, 10:23 PM
I think I had Lewis winning by a hair but I did walk away feeling a little strange about his performance. I know a lot of people who thought Evander won and I really wouldn't have had any qualms with that. Except, given what happened the first fight, that would really suck for Lennox.

I think what bothers me more than anything else is when people say Holyfield was "robbed" in the second fight the way Lewis was in the first fight. Not only was Holyfield not robbed in the second fight, but comparing the two fights as equal is just ridiculous and biased.

Scott9945
04-15-2011, 10:25 PM
It was a somewhat disappointing performance by Lennox, but he won more rounds.

studentofthegam
04-15-2011, 10:34 PM
It was a somewhat disappointing performance by Lennox, but he won more rounds.Some of the rounds in the second fight were so piss poor on both parts I didnt want to try and judge them.

Scott9945
04-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Some of the rounds in the second fight were so piss poor on both parts I didnt want to try and judge them.

I'm not going to argue with that. Both fights were duds. The most memorable thing about them was the disputed scoring.

crold1
04-15-2011, 11:07 PM
I had it a draw in the return. Those who had Holy winning (which was a stretch) were likely swayed by him stunning Lewis a couple times and winning his rounds more dramatically. It was enough for me to feel like, had Holy and Lewis tangled earlier in their careers, Holy would have won (and the rematch is one reason why I rate Holyfield ahead of Lewis historically).

I think some are underrating the second fight as entertainment too. It was pretty good as far as Heavies go.

The first fight is among the worst decisions, and the most harmful to the health of the sport in the U.S., in history.

studentofthegam
04-16-2011, 12:20 AM
I had it a draw in the return. Those who had Holy winning (which was a stretch) were likely swayed by him stunning Lewis a couple times and winning his rounds more dramatically. It was enough for me to feel like, had Holy and Lewis tangled earlier in their careers, Holy would have won (and the rematch is one reason why I rate Holyfield ahead of Lewis historically).

I think some are underrating the second fight as entertainment too. It was pretty good as far as Heavies go.

The first fight is among the worst decisions, and the most harmful to the health of the sport in the U.S., in history.I wont dispute you on the entertainment value for you but I have to say I thought it was one of the worst Ive seen for a HW championship. It was hard to watch for me.

IronDanHamza
04-16-2011, 08:08 AM
By no means was he robbed but at the time I had Holyfield edgeing it and when I re-scored it I had it a draw.

I have only watched the fight a few times.

The_Demon
04-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Lewis won.

The Surgeon
04-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Lewis destroyed him first time, second time tho i felt, and did so for years that Evander edged it. BUT i scored the fight not long ago, think i even posted my card in Barnburners scorecard thread and i had Lewis winning.

But lets be honest Holyfield wasnt at his best by then despite the Tyson fights

joseph5620
04-16-2011, 02:08 PM

The first fight is among the worst decisions, and the most harmful to the health of the sport in the U.S., in history.

I also notice those same people never mention that Holyfield was hurt by a Lewis uppercut in the 9th. Holyfield was visibly hurt when walking back to his corner after the round.

crold1
04-16-2011, 03:09 PM
I also notice those same people never mention that Holyfield was hurt by a Lewis uppercut in the 9th. Holyfield was visibly hurt when walking back to his corner after the round.

Holy impressed by proving he wasn't shot. Lewis didn't because he failed to improve on what had been an almost perfect, if safe, first fight.

tyger
04-17-2011, 03:50 AM
I remember not being sure who won. I didn't score it but I remember wondering after the fight how the judges would score it.

JAB5239
04-18-2011, 02:29 PM
I remember not being sure who won. I didn't score it but I remember wondering after the fight how the judges would score it.

At the time I thought Holyfield edged him, but I was an avid hater of Lewis as I thought he was very smug. After re-watching the fight the fight (didn't score it) I would lean towards a draw or a slight win for Lewis. One thing is certain though, the fight was much to close to be called a robbery.

CarlosG815
04-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Welcome back JAB, where you been buddy?

I saw this posted on here earlier but I don't see it anymore
http://www.boxing-monthly.co.uk/content/9912/one.htm

This is a pretty good read pertaining to this fight.

JAB5239
04-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Welcome back JAB, where you been buddy?

I saw this posted on here earlier but I don't see it anymore
http://www.boxing-monthly.co.uk/content/9912/one.htm

This is a pretty good read pertaining to this fight.

I took an extended vacation and caught upon some rest and reading. Great to be back though, and thanks for the article!

CarlosG815
04-18-2011, 03:29 PM
I took an extended vacation and caught upon some rest and reading. Great to be back though, and thanks for the article!

Vaca from the boards, or did you go somewhere nice?

JAB5239
04-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Vaca from the boards, or did you go somewhere nice?

No place special. I just took some time from work and didn't have access to a computer. I needed the break from the boards too. I've been posting in one forum or another for almost 12 years and you tend to get burnt out every once in awhile. The time off seems to free my mind up and let me see things in a different light sometimes.

Ziggy Stardust
04-18-2011, 03:37 PM
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

The Surgeon
04-18-2011, 03:53 PM
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Dude Honestly where the hell do u even all these damn smilies!? lol

Ziggy Stardust
04-18-2011, 04:00 PM

I pulled that one off Google Images.....it's actually an animated GIF but I can't figure out why it won't animate on here :thinking9: Most of the smilies I have I transfered over from Yahoo Messenger :geek9:

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
04-18-2011, 04:02 PM

I got :shootsself: :floyd9: :jerk0ff9: and :bullsh1t9: from other poster on here.....

Poet