View Full Version : Holyfield vs Tyson Undisputed Title 1991?

Stallone60
04-15-2011, 08:21 AM
In 1991 holyfield was the champ beating douglas by ko. The douglas that beat tyson didnt show up that night and was very out of shape. Tyson having comback fights against tillman and two razor ruddock fights which were good fights for tyson. Alot of rumours were said that holyfield didnt want to fight ruddock but tyson did. After defeating ruddock the Superfight everyone wanted to see was set in 1991 Holyfield vs Tyson for the Undisputed championship. It would of been like Ali vs Frazier. But tysons rape charge cancelled the ex champs chance to win back his titles. But who would of won this super fight? Both of the fighters were in great shape. I feel that Tyson didnt train very hard for douglas and if he was in shape he would of destroyed him in a couple of rounds. Tyson would of shown up in shape for holyfield and would of beat him by UD by 2 or 3 rounds. Wish it happend back then.

CarlosG815
04-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Tyson would force a stoppage in 1991.

Barn
04-15-2011, 10:51 AM
In 91, I'd pick Holyfield by UD.

Daddy T
04-15-2011, 01:29 PM
my gut tells me tyson would have shown up in great shape and won after a classic bust up but i don't think he'd have held it for long Bowe would likely have taken it off him 1 or 2 fights later. sigh what could have been ... if cus had lived an extra few years tyson would have been in great shape through 90-95 and would have fought Bowe, Holy, Lewis and Big George (and beaten them all imo)

pedro1098
04-15-2011, 01:38 PM
tyson,had to much in his locker

Boxing Bob
04-15-2011, 02:09 PM
The only way Tyson forces a stoppage is on his back. Holyfield had his number. Tyson was'nt the same fighter against someone in his prime, with skills, and had no fear. In 91 Holyfield had all these. Holyfield takes him out somewhere between rounds 9-11,in a good fight.

Mugwump
04-17-2011, 08:31 PM
After watching the Tyson documentary I'm convinced that Holyfield (at heavy and in good shape) would defeat any version of Tyson.

Even in his absolute prime Tyson had a huge psychological flaw (a mortal terror of being bullied) that Holyfield would exploit fully. Sure, Evander would no doubt take a pounding in the opening rounds. But he would still be there - talking, roughousing, intimidating Tyson by the mid-point and that's when he'd open up the throttle.

As the fight drew on and Tyson started taking return fire the old school-yard demons would begin to surface. By the ninth Tyson would revert to his childhood years - crouching motionless and pitiful as the big bully pounded away at his skull.

Scott9945
04-18-2011, 12:01 AM
I was going to pick Holyfield then, and nothing that happened since has changed my mind.

crold1
04-18-2011, 12:10 AM
I was going to pick Holyfield then, and nothing that happened since has changed my mind.

Same here. I picked him straight up in 1996 when people feared for his life and started giggling like a little kid in the sixth round. Holyfield was more man (meaning mentally tougher, meaner) than Tyson and flat owned him.

JAB5239
04-18-2011, 04:40 AM
The only way Tyson forces a stoppage is on his back. Holyfield had his number. Tyson was'nt the same fighter against someone in his prime, with skills, and had no fear. In 91 Holyfield had all these. Holyfield takes him out somewhere between rounds 9-11,in a good fight.

After watching the Tyson documentary I'm convinced that Holyfield (at heavy and in good shape) would defeat any version of Tyson.

Even in his absolute prime Tyson had a huge psychological flaw (a mortal terror of being bullied) that Holyfield would exploit fully. Sure, Evander would no doubt take a pounding in the opening rounds. But he would still be there - talking, roughousing, intimidating Tyson by the mid-point and that's when he'd open up the throttle.

As the fight drew on and Tyson started taking return fire the old school-yard demons would begin to surface. By the ninth Tyson would revert to his childhood years - crouching motionless and pitiful as the big bully pounded away at his skull.

I agree with both these posts. If Tyson could intimidate you you were dead meat. His skills were not sliding, he became lazy and lost his aura of intimidation. Holyfield feared no man and would have always taken it to him. At the time this wasn't my train of thought, but hindsight is 20/20.

IronDanHamza
04-18-2011, 12:11 PM
My heart says Tyson. My head says Holyfield.

After Tyson was stopped in 89 he simply was never the same fighter. The loss and more importantly the way the loss happened had a clear effect on Mike Tyson. Not only the way he looked at himself, but the way others looked at him. Other fighters thought, this guy is beatable.

Evander Holyfield is just one of the worst people for Tyson to come across in this situation. Whether it be 96 or 91, IMO. Although Tyson in 91 has a better chance than in 96. I believe Tyson has a legit chance, but I definitely lean on Holyfield.

studentofthegam
04-18-2011, 04:24 PM
I was going to pick Holyfield then, and nothing that happened since has changed my mind.Thats my opinion exactly only I would change '91 to '87.

I agree with both these posts. If Tyson could intimidate you you were dead meat. His skills were not sliding, he became lazy and lost his aura of intimidation. Holyfield feared no man and would have always taken it to him. At the time this wasn't my train of thought, but hindsight is 20/20.Thats the same thing I thought. Mike won some fights before the bell rang. Holy is not to be intimidated.