View Full Version : Robison Left Hook vs Hearns Right Hand.

Barn
04-15-2011, 07:34 AM
Who's is the greatest? Poll coming.

I think Robinsons left hook is better as he took out GENE FULLMER one of the toughest SOB's in the game with one punch no stuns, no wobbly legs, while going backwards.

Hearns has a lot of great right hand KO's also but, not against the likes of GENE FULLMER and that is the deciding factor for me.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J-EWPlSHxek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The_Demon
04-15-2011, 08:24 AM
The knockout over Fullmer means i have too give it too Robinson and his left hook,Hearns was a brutal puncher but never knocked anybody of that calibre out in such fashion

PEBBLES!
04-15-2011, 08:54 AM
The knockout over Fullmer means i have too give it too Robinson and his left hook,Hearns was a brutal puncher but never knocked anybody of that calibre out in such fashion

:notworthy

Such infinite wisdom you have, mate. Yet another deeply profound post in the history section.

O please, O boxing Sage, illuminate more threads with your superior knowledge of this ancient pugilistic sport.

New England
04-15-2011, 11:04 AM
i am biased as all get out toward the hook

i believe it's the most effective punch in boxing in my eyes

it's the shortest punch with knockout power
it's the easiest punch to punctuate your combinations
it's often closest to your opponent
and it's the easiest shot to run into or not see.
you can throw it to the body easily (a right hand to the body is probably the easiest punch to pick off or get inside of it and counter upstairs... with the hook of all things. you dont see many people throwing them if an opponent is throwing back. pavlik used to throw them if he was getting guys to react to the jab, but could only get away with it because of his length)

all of that being said, the right hand is usually the hardest punch that can be thrown by almost any man.
the only way to throw a harder punch than a real right hand with weight being transferred is to throw it off a pitching mound

i'm going with robinson's hook because of the ledger of men that could not deal with it.

tommy's right hand traveled a great distance (though it certainly didnt waste motion, it was just coming from a high shoulder and a huge arm)
robinson's hook is litterally hard to see it could be so short

Capaedia
05-09-2012, 09:26 AM
While lurking I discovered this thread and found it inexcusable that no-one mentioned Hearn's tooling Duran with his straight right.

Possibly the only time in history a top 10 ATG was levelled with one punch.

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr28/Alakasam_2008/Boxing%20Librarium/HearnsVsDuran.gif

Juof
05-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Damn that left hook was amazing, and it seemed like he did it with no effort at all

jabsRstiff
05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
You could argue for either one....but I will go with Hearns' right.

I think Hearns' KO of Duran matches Robinson's KO of Fullmer. Yes, Fullmer at 160 was a tougher nut than Duran at 154, but Hearns' KO was more frightening.

kendom
05-09-2012, 10:57 AM
While lurking I discovered this thread and found it inexcusable that no-one mentioned Hearn's tooling Duran with his straight right.

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr28/Alakasam_2008/Boxing%20Librarium/HearnsVsDuran.gif

Charles-Walcott III

BennyST
05-09-2012, 11:40 AM
I have to go with Hearns' right on this one. I think Duran easily equals Fullmer in terms of chin, and more. No one else got close to hurting or dropping Duran, from 147 to 160, really apart from a massive clean left hook from Barkley, which would and did, knock out just about every natural middleweight it landed on like that and that was on a 40 year old fat bastard Duran.

Apart from the 90 year old Duran against Joppy, that was, just like Fullmer, the only time anyone laid waste to him properly. Fullmer also had the ****e beaten out of him by Dick Tiger and the fight stopped. Duran was better defensively and had a better chin.

While Fullmer was stopped with a ten count only that once, he was dropped quite a number of times and hurt quite badly on many occasions throughout his career. Much more than Duran in his prime. He also fought at basically the same weight his whole career. He was all but knocked out against Gil Turner for one, taking a 9 count and losing the fight. It's only one more second to a KO, and Robinson was able to get that extra second in.

Close, but for pure power, I'll take Hearns.

McGrain
05-09-2012, 11:48 AM
There's no right answere here. Both were lazer-guided and devastating.

jabsRstiff
05-09-2012, 02:27 PM
I think Bob Foster's left hook can be thrown into this comparison/contest.

It was as perfectly executed as it was devastating.

Ray Corso
05-09-2012, 03:19 PM
No comparion at all,Sugarmans left hook was a art form to begin with. That night it was on special display for Fullmer, a ruff tuff individual who was a top ten fighter in the division for years!! KOing Fullmer is alot more impressive than Hearns defeating an overweight, take the money, grow a beard so no one recognizes me, Duran! Duran was great at "135"lbs just because he fought Leonard and did well at 147 doesn't mean he could carry the weight up to 154 and be considered the same guy as 135!!!!! Ridiculous!!!
As for Sugermans hands either one was great thrown from any angle thats why he's the "pound for pound" greatest of ALL TIME! Skill level, experience, speed, power, intelligence and a "take on anyone" attitude made this guy the best ever!!! Ray.

jabsRstiff
05-09-2012, 04:49 PM
No comparion at all,Sugarmans left hook was a art form to begin with. That night it was on special display for Fullmer, a ruff tuff individual who was a top ten fighter in the division for years!! KOing Fullmer is alot more impressive than Hearns defeating an overweight, take the money, grow a beard so no one recognizes me, Duran! Duran was great at "135"lbs just because he fought Leonard and did well at 147 doesn't mean he could carry the weight up to 154 and be considered the same guy as 135!!!!! Ridiculous!!!
As for Sugermans hands either one was great thrown from any angle thats why he's the "pound for pound" greatest of ALL TIME! Skill level, experience, speed, power, intelligence and a "take on anyone" attitude made this guy the best ever!!! Ray.

Hagler and Barkley, two hard-punching middleweights, hit Duran flush quite a bit and he never went down. Hardly ridiculous to think KOing Duran is almost as impressive as KOing Fullmer....especially when you see how Duran was laid out face-first while Fullmer wasn't actually out.

jabsRstiff
05-09-2012, 04:56 PM
"No comparion at all,Sugarmans left hook was a art form to begin with"

Thomas Hearns delivered his right cross the way it is written in the textbooks, but with more velocity than anyone in history was ever capable of doing. In boxing standards, it was sheer beauty.

Think you're selling Hearns' right hand way short here. Robinson is obviously the superior fighter but I think it's over the top to claim either guy's fight-ending punch was that much better than the other's....

Mohammedini
05-09-2012, 05:03 PM
SRR killed a man with his left hook....

Ray Corso
05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Theres more skill delivering a left hook than a right hand and it was a straight right hand the vast majority of times not a right cross. The Duran after 135Lbs was a very unpredictable character. He'd win tuff distance bouts get losses from people he's used to walk over, and get stopped by people he would have exposed years early. (style wise) He was fighting out of his element and relying on his knowledge to survive and sometimes win. Imagine lossing to Comacho twice??? Are you kidding me that guy couldn't break an egg!!! The win over Duran was a big one for Tommy but the right hand was his feature. Sugarman featured ALL the punches, was not one dimentional and didn't rely on one particular style, he could do it all! Ray.

New England
05-09-2012, 06:26 PM
I think Bob Foster's left hook can be thrown into this comparison/contest.

It was as perfectly executed as it was devastating.

joe louis right hand is a better single weapon than any of the above in my opinion

jabsRstiff
05-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Theres more skill delivering a left hook than a right hand and it was a straight right hand the vast majority of times not a right cross. The Duran after 135Lbs was a very unpredictable character. He'd win tuff distance bouts get losses from people he's used to walk over, and get stopped by people he would have exposed years early. (style wise) He was fighting out of his element and relying on his knowledge to survive and sometimes win. Imagine lossing to Comacho twice??? Are you kidding me that guy couldn't break an egg!!! The win over Duran was a big one for Tommy but the right hand was his feature. Sugarman featured ALL the punches, was not one dimentional and didn't rely on one particular style, he could do it all! Ray.

None of this means Robinson's left hook was better, especially much better, than Hearns' right.

This isn't a discussion of their overall skills 'cause WE ALL know Ray is far greater than Hearns.

Duran was beaten by Camacho a decade after he lost to Hearns. Not sure how that takes a way from Hearns' KO of him....

Are you also saying Hearns was one-dimensional, and only relied on his right hand? C'mon now!

jabsRstiff
05-09-2012, 08:32 PM
joe louis right hand is a better single weapon than any of the above in my opinion

You get no argument from me on that.

Hands of Iron
05-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Robinson's left hook, naturally. Although both are easily two of the most devastating fighter-specific individual punches in boxing history. No wrong answer.

Capaedia
05-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Charles-Walcott III

Goddamn it, I love that punch too, how could I forget?

I wonder if there are any more? None come to mind.

Spartacus Sully
05-10-2012, 02:56 AM
the left hook SRR koed fulmer with wasnt the usual left hook for SRR, this was a left hook that relied on stepping out with the right foot and pushing off sideways with the ball of the left foot. while the normal left hook and the one SRR more commonly threw is a matter of pivoting in the left foot while you plant the right foot.

hearns right hand was allways devistating and allways thown textbook.

so i look at it either as the one left hook that srr threw against fulmer vs every right hand hearns ever threw which i give it to hearns.

or

SRR's normal left hook vs Hearns right hand, in which case i still give it to hearns.

Japanese Boxing
05-10-2012, 05:17 AM

I'd say Rocky Marciano's power in general would put him in the discussion as well. People tend to forget his shots that were **** still destroyed people.

kendom
05-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Goddamn it, I love that punch too, how could I forget?

I wonder if there are any more? None come to mind.

That punch is as brutal as it is beautiful, its a hybrid as well, is it a left hook? or an uppercut? It's both!! I once showed my sister that punch and she almost cried lol.

And naa I cant think of any others. I think those might be the only one punch KOs against top 10 ATGs.

GoogleMe
05-10-2012, 06:40 PM
I think Hearns KO of Duran is just as good if not slightly better than Robinsons of Fulmer. I'm a HUGE fan of left hooks (my personal favorite punch to throw), but the straight right from Hearns - that's just lightning fast, hard and accurate!

T-97
05-11-2012, 06:16 AM

I know, I couldn't believe that people forgot it while saying Hearns hadn't KO'd someone as tough as Fullmer...

I'll go with Hearns straight right. But it is pretty close.