View Full Version : so basically rocky had no chance against a prime joe

boxingking500
04-14-2011, 02:35 PM
marciano be joe louis.. but alot of people said if it was prime joe... rocky would of loss

do you agree with that

rocky had no chance against a prime joe?

Vadrigar.
04-14-2011, 02:36 PM
He had a good chance, it would be competitive, but Louis will prevail.

Barnburner
04-14-2011, 02:40 PM
He had a good chance, it would be competitive, but Louis will prevail.
With that Right hand the Rock has change against anyone, but Louis was so good technicallly that it's probably only 25%.

CarlosG815
04-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Rocky could have beaten him in his prime...

Watch Galento knock Louis down in his prime... Rocky could pressure him and beat him down.

Not saying Louis couldn't beat him, just saying I'd bet on Rocky.

BigStereotype
04-14-2011, 02:45 PM
He has a chance and I'll tell you what it is. Brutal one punch KO. Otherwise, he's taking a savage beating from Louis.

CarlosG815
04-14-2011, 02:50 PM
He has a chance and I'll tell you what it is. Brutal one punch KO. Otherwise, he's taking a savage beating from Louis.

Like Louis savagely beat Schmeling in their first fight?

Forza
04-14-2011, 02:55 PM
He would have a decent chance. If the weaker hitting max schmeling could do it rocky would seriously hurt him. Also rocky had better endurance and louis could NOT K.O him ( but probably box him up and drop him many times )

I'd give it a 60/40 louis over marciano but don't count rocky out.

Barnburner
04-14-2011, 03:07 PM
He managed it alright in the second and Louis was green then.

joseph5620
04-14-2011, 03:11 PM

Watch Galento knock Louis down in his prime... Rocky could pressure him and beat him down.

And Marciano was knocked down by Jersey Joe Walcott and light heavyweight Archie Moore. Took a lot of punishment from Ezzard Charles too. You can find tough moments for either fighter in separate fights. It proves nothing.

CarlosG815
04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
And Marciano was knocked down by Jersey Joe Walcott and light heavyweight Archie Moore. Took a lot of punishment from Ezzard Charles too. You can find tough moments for either fighter in separate fights. It proves nothing.

Galento is not Archie Moore or Ezzard Charles.

IronDanHamza
04-14-2011, 03:53 PM

No, like how he savagely beat Schmeling when he was actually in shape and taking him seriously.

BigStereotype
04-14-2011, 04:14 PM

I forgot, I'm not allowed to post because I have the Carlos Seal of Ignorance. Dammit...

No, like Louis annihilated Schmeling in their second fight, goon.

CarlosG815
04-14-2011, 04:25 PM
I forgot, I'm not allowed to post because I have the Carlos Seal of Ignorance. Dammit...

No, like Louis annihilated Schmeling in their second fight, goon.

Yeah, the guy that took Louis 12 rounds and knocked him out, compared to the guy 2 years later who went down in 1 round and then pretty much retired.

Get a clue, man. You are so stupid with your "He would savagely beat him."

Where do you come up with this idiocy?

CarlosG815
04-14-2011, 04:25 PM
No, like how he savagely beat Schmeling when he was actually in shape and taking him seriously.

So it is your opinion that the Schmeling that went down in one round was in the same condition as the one who beat Louis in their first fight?

IronDanHamza
04-14-2011, 04:39 PM
So it is your opinion that the Schmeling that went down in one round was in the same condition as the one who beat Louis in their first fight?

It was pretty much common knowledge Schmeling was on the decline before he fought Louis the first time. Thus, why Louis didn't train hard or take Schmeling seriously.

The second fight was Schmeling further in decline, except this time Louis was actually in shape.

Both factors for each fight cancel each other out which is why using Schmeling as a comparison for how he would fair with Rocky is stupid.

My personal view is Joe Louis would beat Marciano.

Does Rocky have a chance against Louis? Absolutely, of course he does. Rocky is an ATG HW of course he has a chance.

joseph5620
04-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Galento is not Archie Moore or Ezzard Charles.

Except maybe the fact that he was a legitimate heavyweight.

Wild Blue Yonda
04-14-2011, 10:13 PM

I can't agree here. I mean, you could have a point if the knockdown punctuated further Galento success --- but as it stands, Galento didn't win one minute of the bout outside of that flooring. I think it's reading too deep into it to use that as a measure for Marciano winning. I mean, a past-it Walcott & Moore in his forties are a very pale imitation of the young Louis indeed, but it would be unfair to Marciano to lengthen his odds because he momentarily hit the canvas (even though Walcott was beating him in their first clash, something Galento could not do against Louis).

In any event, I have always given Marciano less chance than most here. Very little, in fact. It would have to be a quick & violent onslaught. He'd never have a chance of wearing Louis down as I see it, & I see the Bomber winning this fight going away in all likelihood.

TKO10. Maybe a corner retirement.

GJC
04-22-2011, 10:49 AM
He managed it alright in the second and Louis was green then.

To be fair Barn whilst I don't think Louis was the finished product I wouldn't say he was green. Remember Schmelling beat him only a few months after Louis destroyed Baer which for many was his greatest fight.
Great win for Schmelling he identified a flaw, took a lot of punishment to exploit it and won.

Re Louis-Marciano. I totally discount the fight they had.

Marciano could take an awful lot of punishment waiting for his chance like Schmelling did so you can't totally write off his chances, also Walcott was beating Marciano comfortably until he made one mistake.

Louis could get caught so Rocky has a realistic chance and Rocky would be his hardest ever fight.

I'm 70/30 to Louis but if the odds were good i'd sneak a on the Rock.

Holtol
04-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Marciano could take an awful lot of punishment waiting for his chance like Schmelling did so you can't totally write off his chances, also Walcott was beating Marciano comfortably until he made one mistake.

Not arguing your prediction GJC but your logic in that Walcott was beating Marciano comfortably so Louis could is flawed. I believe it was 3 rounds Marciano fought blind, in the first fight against Walcott.

GJC
04-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Not arguing your prediction GJC but your logic in that Walcott was beating Marciano comfortably so Louis could is flawed. I believe it was 3 rounds Marciano fought blind, in the first fight against Walcott.
Marciano you're right certainly had his vision problems in that fight but Walcott did fight a great fight. My point more was that I don't see Louis taking Marciano out quickly so as long as Marciano is in there with his great stamina he has a great punchers chance. Assuming we are setting the fight in either of their eras I don't think cuts will be such a factor as nowadays and over a potential 15 rounds can you one, guarantee Louis doesn't make a mistake or Marciano gets through and two, can Louis survive if Marciano hits him with a punch like he took Walcott out with.
Like I say i'm 70/30 Louis but Marciano is a very live body in there.

Barnburner
04-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Walcott was 38 for that fight though.

GJC
04-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Fair point, though Walcott was one of those BHOP/Archie Moore freaks.

Holtol
04-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Marciano you're right certainly had his vision problems in that fight but Walcott did fight a great fight. My point more was that I don't see Louis taking Marciano out quickly so as long as Marciano is in there with his great stamina he has a great punchers chance. Assuming we are setting the fight in either of their eras I don't think cuts will be such a factor as nowadays and over a potential 15 rounds can you one, guarantee Louis doesn't make a mistake or Marciano gets through and two, can Louis survive if Marciano hits him with a punch like he took Walcott out with.
Like I say i'm 70/30 Louis but Marciano is a very live body in there.

I have watched quite a few Louis fights but I still don't know Louis good enough, I have watched Marciano closer and more. Like I said I am not arguing your prediction you could very well be right.

I just wanted to make it known that Marciano was blind for a good portion of the fight, some people might not know that. It is something that should be taken into account if judging Marciano's performance in the fight.

Holtol
04-22-2011, 12:39 PM

Marciano would of likely put on a better performance if his vision was good during the fight.

Ziggy Stardust
04-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Rocky has a punchers chance but odds are he doesn't make it past the 7th round. His chin is too good to hear a 10 count but as I see it he gets beaten up to the point where even the permissive refs of the era would be forced to wave off the carnage. Louis had quite possibly the finest offense I've ever laid eyes on and Marciano shipped a ton of punishment in practically every fight he was in. Not a good mix. He could get away with it against a past-it Light-Heavy in Charles but NOT against Louis.

Poet

Wild Blue Yonda
04-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Fair point, though Walcott was one of those BHOP/Archie Moore freaks.

To an extent yes, but Walcott had nonetheless seen better days. The version of five or six years earlier, who pushed an ageing Louis so, was snappier all-round.

Even a prime Walcott lost at least one fight to a washed-up Louis. He wasn't in the young Louis' class, & either was Marciano, who I don't give much hope to here at all. He would take a licking like he's never felt before.

Cardinalfang
04-23-2011, 04:07 PM
I remember reading a book about Rocky and his manager was addressing that same question. He said maybe rocky might have gotten to Louis even earlier if they'd have fought in Louis's prime and you can make a case for that/

However, when you look at how shot Louis was and how he actually messed Rocky up a bit with his jab in the fight, it's got to be an 80% chance Louis takes rocky out. He was a greater fighter with a better record after all.