View Full Version : Who would win at 140? Ricky Hatton vs Marcos Maidana

GF of Boxing
04-14-2011, 11:11 AM
If Ricky was still in his prime and went up against Maidana how will this fight go?

The_Demon
04-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Hatton would murder him,it would be brutal and fun too watch but theres only one winner,ricky by stoppage

them_apples
04-14-2011, 01:22 PM
I would pick Hatton, not by Murder though. He didn't dominate 140lbs, he was just a bit better and had a lot of strength and decent speed for that weight class.

Maidana would give him a good fight even hurt him at some point but probably lose in the end.

Hatton was a good 140lb fighter however, some people forget that. Even after Mayweather wooped him he still came back and crush Malignaggi who was a good 140lb fighter as well.

Uturn
04-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Hatton does everything better than Maidana. Maidana doesn't like body shots and Hatton had vicious bodywork. A late stoppage for Hatton after a gruelling bout.

IronDanHamza
04-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Both fighters will take punishment but Ricky will come out on top.

Hatton is just simply better than Maidanna.

RubenSonny
04-14-2011, 02:02 PM
One sided bout for Ricky, but I can see Maidana getting his licks in. I think Ricky would probably have more trouble with Maidana than he would with Khan.

New England
04-14-2011, 05:40 PM
oh man ricky goes underrated at these boards

almost as bad a manny pacquiao by the non - philipinos

you serious, brother?
like, are you serious?

ricky hatton was a monster at 140

he's the fighter maidana wishes he was

he had great feet
he worked constantly

he'd grind maidana down to bones in his prime

ricky hatton is a sure fire hall of famer on his work at 140 (and gathering a huge following doesnt hurt)

his stoppage losses against the top p4p fighter in the world shouldnt muck all of that work he did, though i can see how it's easy to forget

the lasting image in my mind of ricky will be on the canvas and out cold
but he was a terrific fighter at 140 in his prime
and chino is not
he's as flawed as can be

IronDanHamza
04-14-2011, 05:46 PM
oh man ricky goes underrated at these boards

almost as bad a manny pacquiao by the non - philipinos

you serious, brother?
like, are you serious?

ricky hatton was a monster at 140

he's the fighter maidana wishes he was

he had great feet
he worked constantly

he'd grind maidana down to bones in his prime

ricky hatton is a sure fire hall of famer on his work at 140 (and gathering a huge following doesnt hurt)

his stoppage losses against the top p4p fighter in the world shouldnt muck all of that work he did, though i can see how it's easy to forget

the lasting image in my mind of ricky will be on the canvas and out cold
but he was a terrific fighter at 140 in his prime
and chino is not
he's as flawed as can be

Not so sure about that, bro.

He might get into the HOF but by no means is he a sure fire HOF. Atleast not IMO.

But I guess he has as much right as Barry Mcguigan does.

New England
04-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Not so sure about that, bro.

He might get into the HOF but by no means is he a sure fire HOF. Atleast not IMO.

But I guess he has as much right as Barry Mcguigan does.

i dont know if he's getting in on his first ballot. in fact i'd be shocked if he does.

but i'm guessing he gets in without much resistance from the writers before 2020 or so.

with the way the game is looking, brother, you've got to pick the best of what's given
it's not going to always be on par with past eras.

i see where you are coming from. he's going to be one of the least skilled men in the hall, and will have a relatively weak ledger compared to his hallmates. he didn't do tremendous work internationally. he lost his biggest fights.

but ricky hatton was a hell of a fighter at 140
and he was one of the more beloved fighters of his era
he was a top tier p4p fighter for many years
he lost twice to the world's best p4p fighter, guys who will get in five years to the day from their retirement.

hall worthy after some years of purgatory in the eyes of this old goat

CarlosG815
04-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Now THIS is a fight that pretty much guarantees you get your moneys worth!

And it's mostly because of Hatton.

BigStereotype
04-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Hatton. He's faster, more athletically gifted overall and just a superior fighter. Maidana might land a bomb or two but Hatton outworks him...Maidana's better than Urango, but I think that's what it would look like.

New England
04-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Now THIS is a fight that pretty much guarantees you get your moneys worth!

And it's mostly because of Hatton.

hell yeah

maidana would not go quietly into that dark night

and i give khan a real edge in power over hatton, especially with head shots
so i dont see a stoppage, either, unless ricky really whitewashes him and wears him down to nothing

SCtrojansbaby
04-14-2011, 07:15 PM
I think Maidana would KO him but it would be a slugfest

Scott9945
04-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Prime Hatton by convincing decision. The only advantage Maidana would have is power.

Earl Hickey
04-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Ricky wins by stoppage.

Marcos would have his moments but he'd be shut down on the inside imo

Earl Hickey
04-14-2011, 09:07 PM
hell yeah

maidana would not go quietly into that dark night

and i give khan a real edge in power over hatton, especially with head shots
so i dont see a stoppage, either, unless ricky really whitewashes him and wears him down to nothing

Nope

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g8OIuJuUNIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hattons power was fading too by the end, Khan never even put the domestic journeymen out properly

PrinceNaz88
04-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Prime Hatton would kill Maidana.

And Khan does not have more power than Hatton did..

CarlosG815
04-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Ricky hit very hard but I do think Maidana hits harder.

KingKhan1
04-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Maidana would defeat hatton, no doubt. Maidana has quicker reactions and heavy hands and hatton always took too many punches and as proved against May and Pacman against fighters who can punch hatton would have had moments in the fight but he would have got knocked out by maidana in 8.

RubenSonny
04-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Maidana would defeat hatton, no doubt. Maidana has quicker reactions and heavy hands and hatton always took too many punches and as proved against May and Pacman against fighters who can punch hatton would have had moments in the fight but he would have got knocked out by maidana in 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMc4ceb9cyg&feature=related

Maidana looking awesome as usual, a real world-beater.

Earl Hickey
04-14-2011, 09:51 PM

Are you kidding?

Mayweather and Pacquiao ore so far above anyone Maidana has ever been in the ring with its unreal.

Maidana is a level down from the worn out Tzsyu that Hatton fought.

Hatton can either outbox Maidana pretty easily or shut him down inside and stop him

No Doubt

The_Demon
04-14-2011, 09:59 PM

Maidana is not even half the fighter they are,howabout we look at hattons fights with Urango or Tackie,they are closer in skill level and style too MM

studentofthegam
04-15-2011, 03:41 AM
The first few rounds would be pretty explosive anD Maidana would get some good shots in. From about the 5th round on it would be a holding and punching match that i have to give to Ricky Hat. Hatton by decision.

Steak
04-15-2011, 03:44 AM
Hatton by rough and ugly decision. he wins almost every round, but is slightly marked up in the process. Im thinking Hatton-Urango.

I see a head clash happening in this fight, maybe stopping it early.

bojangles1987
04-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Both fighters will take punishment but Ricky will come out on top.

Hatton is just simply better than Maidanna.

Agreed. Hatton would stay close to Maidana and rarely let him get full leverage on one of those looping wide right hands.

NhocCuteGirlz
04-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Hatton would murder him,it would be brutal and fun too watch but theres only one winner,ricky by stoppage

Download Software (http://soft444.com)

EMSLDB
04-15-2011, 12:25 PM
i got maidana by decision what i like about maidana is in the clinch he is actually more dangerous in the clinch with punches to the sides and the back of the head. thats what i expect hatton to do smother maidana at times he might even hurt maidana a couple times but maidana has excellent recovery skills i see him landing enough right hands to win this fight

New England
04-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Agreed. Hatton would stay close to Maidana and rarely let him get full leverage on one of those looping wide right hands.

i brought this one up in the "Ricky vs the world at 140" thread
gona hit you with some K

maidana doesnt create the distance to punch, which is what the great hitters have done so well

maidana was blessed with incredible heavy hands that accellerate through a target, which is the basic formula for punching power

but he doesnt make the big punches happen
the distnace has to present itself (like khan holding his left hand low and ducking his head [a mistake,], or victor ortiz being the world's most open man for a straight right hand)

qari
04-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Hatton by Ko Body Shot,But Maidana would hurt him trust me the maidana that showed up against khan would hurt ricky hatton badly and possibly stop him.

Maidana had good foot movement and cut off the ring very well against khan but it dissappeared after he changed trainer for some reason he should have stuck with his old trainer

The Surgeon
04-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Ricky Hatton was a helluva fighter at 140, a whole lot better than Maidana. Ricky could box his ears off and tie him up when need be, he had the strength to push Maidana back to. Maidana has one advantage here - Power but Hatton tended to get hurt by shots he didnt see coming, he had a good chin in general. He should see Maidana's crude swings coming. I think Marcos dont take it to the body to well either and who hits to the body better than a prime 140 Ricky Hatton? Not Many is ur answer! Ricky wins one way or another with a stoppage a very real possibility

awais
04-30-2011, 12:25 PM
probably a points win for hatton. i think hatton has the ability in terms of speed, bodywork and power to stop maidana late but maidana has the heart to go the full 12.

physiker
04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
This one probably determined by points deduction or DQ.

Gets real dirty fast. Rabbit punches, elbows, testicle-spectacle early on. Ref's nightmare. If in the U.K. a sure win for Hatton due to ref stoppage or DQ.

Pastrano
04-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Ricky would beat this little punk for sure.:boxing: He knew how to tangle with these guys, he'd just wrestle him into submission!:D But seriously, Ricky was always better as a boxer technically than Maidana.

The Surgeon
04-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Ricky Hatton was a helluva fighter at 140, a whole lot better than Maidana. Ricky could box his ears off and tie him up when need be, he had the strength to push Maidana back to. Maidana has one advantage here - Power but Hatton tended to get hurt by shots he didnt see coming, he had a good chin in general. He should see Maidana's crude swings coming. I think Marcos dont take it to the body to well either and who hits to the body better than a prime 140 Ricky Hatton? Not Many is ur answer! Ricky wins one way or another with a stoppage a very real possibility

Id like to add to this if Marcos tried his dirty ***** with Ricky then Hatton would do the same right back, he's not gonna take that *****! When Zoo went low Hatton belted him square in the nuts straight back and thats how id do it too u cant let these guys rough u up like that.

Ricky is no saint either i realise of course but i find Maidana REALLY dirty crude and void of skill

joseph5620
04-30-2011, 06:46 PM
If Ricky was still in his prime and went up against Maidana how will this fight go?

Hatton would win. In his prime he was a much better fighter than Maidana who I feel is very limited.

RubenSonny
04-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Hatton would win. In his prime he was a much better fighter than Maidana who I feel is very limited.

I agree, hes got heart but nothing else really. I think the current 140 division, has been ridiculously overrated, I do like Khan and Bradley though.

Scott9945
04-30-2011, 11:42 PM
I agree, hes got heart but nothing else really. I think the current 140 division, has been ridiculously overrated, I do like Khan and Bradley though.

I wouldn't say he has nothing else. Maidana hits pretty damn hard.

RubenSonny
04-30-2011, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't say he has nothing else. Maidana hits pretty damn hard.

Really? I think getting a questionable decision against a shot to **** Corley proved that he doesn't hit that hard.

Scott9945
05-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Really? I think getting a questionable decision against a shot to **** Corley proved that he doesn't hit that hard.

That was one fight. He was overconfident and didn't train hard for Corley. Many of the opponents Maidana has fought has said he hits very hard, and his record seems to validate it. The plain fact is that he badly hurt two current world champions speaks well for his power.

studentofthegam
05-01-2011, 03:01 AM
Really? I think getting a questionable decision against a shot to **** Corley proved that he doesn't hit that hard.It seems like he hits pretty hard but Corley's an old veteran and slips a lot of punches.

Mannie Phresh
05-01-2011, 03:07 AM
hatto by ko. left hook to the body.

TheMexHurricane
05-01-2011, 03:15 AM

Maidana would be too strong for Hatton. He'd KO him.

The Surgeon
05-01-2011, 08:12 AM
hatto by ko. left hook to the body.

Good chance of that, Maidana dont like it to the body as we saw vs Khan and even El Terrible, niether of whom hits to the rib cage like Ricky Hitman Hatton

RubenSonny
05-01-2011, 10:13 AM
That was one fight. He was overconfident and didn't train hard for Corley.

How do you know this? Thats all conjecture, and it was only "one fight" where he knocked out a decent opponent.

Many of the opponents Maidana has fought has said he hits very hard, and his record seems to validate it.

Who in particular has said this, opponents always say after getting knocked out or hurt by someone that they are in a huge puncher, it doesn't mean anything. His record is filled with bums, and he knocked out one opponent with a pulse, who certainly doesn't have the greatest chin.

The plain fact is that he badly hurt two current world champions speaks well for his power.

Both are paper champions who are not known for their chins, other than that fight we haven't seen Khan prove he can take a punch, his chin is obviously better than was made out, but thats not really and indicator of Maidanas power, so we really it doesn't tell us much. Ortiz had been knocked down before (if I'm not mistaken) and after, he quit on his stool as well.

He has some power but its way overrated, it never really bothered Morales.

New England
05-01-2011, 11:08 AM

it proved that he's one of the most limited fighters who has ever made his way to the top of a division

punching power is not his weak suit. Demarcus corely always had a very good chin, and certainly knows how to deal with punching power coming from a one trick pony like maidana. all maidnana did in that fight was bang on him like he was a heavybag. he telegraphs everything. he's never thrown a feint in his life. a guy with the experience of chop chop (a former world champion, who had been in with cotto, judah, bailey, alexander, mayweather) can deal with punching power

randall bailey couldnt stop chop chop, and he's a better puncher than maidana, and probably any man alive p4p right now. that's proof aplenty that a lack of power was not the deciding factor in whether or not chino can punch.

line a heavybag up in front of chino and he probably hits at least as hard as any WW on the planet, nevermind the jr ww's, where he belongs. he's a viscious puncher, he's just crude as all get out.

hell, chop chop fought twice with randall bailey (hardest puncher at 140 i've ever seen,) and beat him once in his prime, and then lost on pts later in his career.

mathysse dropped and stopped corley via an accumulation of body shots
he had NOTHING left for that fight.

credit corely for being a clever son of a gun and showing up in shape for going the distance with chino(probably his biggest payday in years, and a bigger fight than with mathysse,) not an inherent lack of power from maidana

if you want to say he's not a skilled puncher i will cosign that all day
but he's been gifted with heavy hands that accellerate through the target.

he caused swelling on ortiz eye in the late rounds of their fight with one punch
he did the same to morales early in their fight (he would later aggravate it, but eye swelled shut from one punch with a winning glove)

that is punching power
i dont care if you cant get a guy out of there with the power god gave you
that has more to do with the subleties of boxing (say putting some shots together and down the center to stop a dead to rights amir khan,) than god given punching power

any craic lad?
05-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Hatton as much as it kills me by ud probably or stoppage by a bodyshot but either way it would not be by murder.I dont know would it be as explosive as alot of people think for me it would be a very ugly inside fight a good fight but not an excellent one.As a poster before said Hattons ability to get on the inside would stop Maidana getting full leverage on his huge power shots which for Maidana is crucial to winning any of his fights

New England
05-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Hatton as much as it kills me by ud probably or stoppage by a bodyshot but either way it would not be by murder.I dont know would it be as explosive as alot of people think for me it would be a very ugly inside fight a good fight but not an excellent one.As a poster before said Hattons ability to get on the inside would stop Maidana getting full leverage on his huge power shots which for Maidana is crucial to winning any of his fights

badabing.
madiana is a huge punher, but ricky wont let him tee off
grinds him down and survives perhaps a big shot or two
and wins easily.

if you dont let chino tee off you win easily if you have the skillset
and thus we have his only big win (ortiz, who used to fight with his lead foot in the mud and his head right over it, i the path of the right hand)

RubenSonny
05-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Corley had a very good chin in his prime and he is tough but he was absolutely shot by the Maidana fight he had nothing left in that fight as he did in the Matthyse fight its just that Maidana is garbage. Freddy Hernandez knocked him out cleanly within about 5 rounds if I'm not mistaken.

New England
05-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Corley had a very good chin in his prime and he is tough but he was absolutely shot by the Maidana fight he had nothing left in that fight as he did in the Matthyse fight its just that Maidana is garbage. Freddy Hernandez knocked him out cleanly within about 5 rounds if I'm not mistaken.

in his defense freddy hernandez had a very good and very straight right hand, and corely was a southpaw.
and you are not mistaken, hernandez straight up knocked him out. he was also the biggest man corley had ever fought with a winning record

you seriously dont think chino is a puncher?

with his limits, he'd be nowhere close to the top of the division if he didnt have game changing power

and finally, corely was getting the biggest payday in years to fight chino
he was comming off of a stoppage win. he had a huge advantage in speed over maidana, which he wouldnt enjoy over mathysse. he tried to beat maidana, so in that sense, yes, he did have more left

he kept taking a knee against mathysse. he was having trouble with the handspeed more than anything else

i can see where you are coming from. chino is not a knockout wizard. he's a crude but gifted power puncher and ring shrinker
but if you really think chino's not a puncher i couldnt disagree more

RubenSonny
05-01-2011, 12:44 PM
He has some power, but its nothing special, IMO it doesn't seem like its hard to get past.

New England
05-01-2011, 01:27 PM
He has some power, but its nothing special, IMO it doesn't seem like its hard to get past.

that we can agree with
all morales had to to was step back when chino wanted to fight and he couldn't do anything about it.

and late in the fight when morales couldn't move for the entire round (or see) all he had to do was cover up and roll with the left hand and duck the right

chino cannot create distance. all he does is intuitively cut off the ring and punch like he's possessed.
he hasn't improved much since he became a contender, either, which is a huge let down