View Full Version : Ring sizes

McBean
04-12-2011, 09:20 PM
There's something I've always wondered about boxing: Why are there all different sizes of rings? I've seen bouts being fought in anything from 16 feet to 32 feet rings. Why don't they decide on a standard sized ring for every match?

cja07007
04-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Because it gives promoters the ability to give their fights a advantage according to their style. Where did you see a 32 foot ring?

SCtrojansbaby
04-13-2011, 04:26 AM
I could be way off here but I thought it was generally about weight classes. Bigger fighters=bigger rings

Barn
04-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Just something that's agreed upon before the fight such as glove sizes. There will be maxiumum and minimum sizes though.

For example when Leonard was going to fight Hagler he wanted a much bigger ring so he could pull of his running tactics more efficiently without Hagler being able to cut of the ring as efficiently which he was exceptionally good at.

Barn
04-13-2011, 06:52 AM
Because it gives promoters the ability to give their fights a advantage according to their style. Where did you see a 32 foot ring?
Good point, if there was two exciting fighters going at it, you would prefer a confined space.

SPREAD
04-13-2011, 07:28 AM
There's something I've always wondered about boxing: Why are there all different sizes of rings? I've seen bouts being fought in anything from 16 feet to 32 feet rings. Why don't they decide on a standard sized ring for every match?

Look at the Lemieux/Rubio fight I swear that ring was huge! or is it just me?

TBear
04-13-2011, 08:22 AM
For example when Leonard was going to fight Hagler he wanted a much bigger ring so he could pull of his running tactics more efficiently without Hagler being able to cut of the ring as efficiently which he was exceptionally good at.

There was an agreement when negotiating the fight Leonard got the ring size and Hagler chose the new 12 round limit. I figure 12 was all Hagler figured he needed and the IBF and WBA still had the 15 round limit.

nullifygirls
04-13-2011, 08:36 AM
i have also same question in my mind

Barn
04-13-2011, 09:37 AM
There was an agreement when negotiating the fight Leonard got the ring size and Hagler chose the new 12 round limit. I figure 12 was all Hagler figured he needed and the IBF and WBA still had the 15 round limit.
Thanks for this, I was positive Ray chose 12 rounds, never really looked into it, just thought it would make more sense for Hagler to pick 15 if he had the option.

McBean
04-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Hmm. I knew out-fighters preferred a bigger ring with more room to move around but wouldn't it be fairer for all boxers if some governing body somewhere just standardised all rings to 20 feet? (In between the two extremes of 16 and 24 feet)

I don't know where the 32 came from, though I could swear one of the commentators remarked in a fight I just watched that the ring was huge and I'm sure he said it was 32 feet but he may have just been exaggerating. Can't remember which fight it was though).

BigStereotype
04-13-2011, 05:31 PM

A 32 foot ring?!

Jim Jeffries
04-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks for this, I was positive Ray chose 12 rounds, never really looked into it, just thought it would make more sense for Hagler to pick 15 if he had the option.

I still maintain that the fight was close enough that Hagler would've won had he gotten a smaller ring and lighter gloves. Will try to look into this as it seems 12 rounds would favor the very inactive Leonard as well.

Seems to me Marvin let him have whatever he wanted, because he was so confident of victory. And he was so affected by the loss, that he didn't have the drive to fight anymore.

Barn
04-13-2011, 07:09 PM
I still maintain that the fight was close enough that Hagler would've won had he gotten a smaller ring and lighter gloves. Will try to look into this as it seems 12 rounds would favor the very inactive Leonard as well.

Seems to me Marvin let him have whatever he wanted, because he was so confident of victory. And he was so affected by the loss, that he didn't have the drive to fight anymore.
Hagler was thinking of retirement before the Leonard fight and his only motivation was breaking Monzons record. After the Leonard fight there wasn't much hope in that unless he pulled some Archie Moore-esque Age defying career.

TBear
04-13-2011, 08:36 PM

You would think but Hagler also went with the WBC's 12round distance for the Hearns and Mugabi fights too. The WBA and IBF distance was 15 awhile still after the Leonard fight.

New England
04-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Just something that's agreed upon before the fight such as glove sizes. There will be maxiumum and minimum sizes though.

glove size is dependent on the weight class

professionals weighing over 147 on the night of the weigh in are forced to use ten oz gloves and those weighing 147 or below are forced to use 8 oz

margarito and pacman fought with 8 oz gloves recently at a 150 catchweight (for a title at 54, if that makes any sense,) because of an agreement between the promotors (arum and himself)

but that's a rarity

it's frankly dangerous and a liability.
if a man sustains a lethal beating with smaller gloves than those specified by the commission it's going to get messy

to address the OP:

ring size is a means of leveraging toward an advantage in the ring and financially for promotors

as a general rule 20 feet is the standard size boxing ring for a club level or off television type fight.

20-25 feet is what you'll see in world championships on television, because of the increased advertisement space, and the fact that most contemporary, champion level boxers want to use their legs and the ring more in a defensive manner to avoid confrontation

if the best fighter in the world (or the most popular / richest one) was a close range brawler you'd see smaller rings for his fights
bigger ring's for the fights of the best fighter in the world if he was a longer range mover.

New England
04-14-2011, 06:09 PM
and i too want to see this 32 foot ring

was it hosting a tall german on german soil against a foreign midget by any chance?

i've seen some big rings in germany to protect their boxers
and when they're painted white they look monstrous