View Full Version : Extreme Fitness Goals

iwagh911
09-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Currently, 5'9 160lbs.

Would like to be Light Heavy Weight (175-180)

I am dedicated like no other, I would really appreciate it if you all could give me some suggestions on what kind of nutritional program I should follow, and what kind of training. Boxing, I feel is more than 50% conditioning - how can I keep good conditioning while packing pounds?

What kind of conditioning program would it look like to stay fit but not lose lbs by the conditioning? Maybe some short steep hills?

Nutrition?

I assume the training will stay same to a normal boxing one. Burpees, heavy bag, plyometrics etc.

If you can help me I would be very greatful. XieXie

.::EnRiQuE::.
09-18-2005, 11:01 PM
why did you make the same thread twice???

iwagh911
09-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Sorry mate, I"d delete other if i knew how. honest mistake

lowkey77
09-19-2005, 01:41 AM
my advice: at your height i would not box at lt.heavy. you are too short. I would go 147 , 154 max. This is if you want to compete, if you just want to "look buff" sky is the limit :)

Pugnacious_Z
09-19-2005, 05:59 AM
wat are u on about, how the hell is 5ft 9 short for light heavy, james tony and david tua are both shorter then 5ft 9 or same as 5ft 9. hey man, advice, dont let these guys tell u to lose all these pounds if u aint fat, get to the weight u want and ssee wat happens

Kid Achilles
09-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Tony and Tua are both grossly overweight. 5'9" is short for a light heavyweight. The thing is right now you say you weigh less than the light heavyweight limit, so why would you try to put on weight to get into boxing shape?

It sounds to me like you picked light heavyweight because you like the physiques on guys at that weight, or perhaps you have a few favorite fighters in the division.

My advice: forget about it. You already weigh 160, and you're going to lose a lot of weight (you'll gain a little too but overall you'll weigh less than you are now) getting into boxing shape. Don't be alarmed if you find yourself at 145 or lower. Most people have more fat on them than they realize, even skinny people. Just work hard and listen to your trainer who will tell you if he thinks you're getting too light. Don't go overboard as you want to retain some muscle and strength.

But also don't just pick a weight right now, when you're inexperienced, and think you'll weigh that much as a boxer because you want to. You need to see what your body does, and unless you're a younger guy I think you'll get smaller, and not bigger, as you train.

iwagh911
09-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Thanks for replys - appreciate it.

Pugnacious_Z
09-20-2005, 08:57 AM
u can say wat u want achiles but look at roy jones, he was 140lbs wen he was 16-17 and wen he started pro, he was light heavy, how did dat happen? ofcoarse he worked out to gain weight, no1 gains dat much at dat age

iwagh911
09-20-2005, 09:58 PM
Lol I understand the controversey - However, could someone help me out and give me a few direction points in what I'd have to do to gain these 10-15 lbs, while keeping in good shape? Thanks

Kid Achilles
09-20-2005, 11:33 PM
People stop growing at around 21, not 17.

lowkey77
09-20-2005, 11:45 PM
ok, if you are going to bring up roy jones (who is 5'11) then do what he did....

start at 140/147 then get a few fights. move up a weight class, repeat....and so on till you get to 175. Of all the Lt heavys that are 5'9, they all started at around 140-147. Any trainer will tell you at that height height, stay lower weight.

Kid Achilles
09-21-2005, 01:06 AM
Lowkey has the right idea. Get as low in weight as you can while retaining your health and strength and only move up if you have the ability to cope with the bigger, naturally stronger, opponents.

Pugnacious_Z
09-21-2005, 05:03 AM
while were on dis topis, does any1 know of any Punchers who went up a couple weight classes and they brawled in the higher weights?

KidBlackie
09-21-2005, 09:25 AM
[[[any1 know of any Punchers who went up a couple weight classes and they brawled in the higher weights?]]]
==============

Bobby Cyz was a beautiful boxer at 160 and nothing but a crude brawler at cruiser.

BTW, my advice to novice boxer is to just get a trainer and start a training regimen and see what weight you end up at. That's your natural weight. Some fighters go below their natural weight and are very effective, but it's dangerous and not that many have the ability and discipline to do it. Some can move over their natural weight and still be effective. This is easier to do and every fighter gains some weight as he ages with very few exceptions. There are limits, and that what boxing is, learning your limits, so go for it.

Kid Achilles
09-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Mickey Walker is one of the most famous examples of a middleweight who brawled with heavies. Sam Langford was another, though he was more of a good boxer with a punch than a straight up bralwer. These guys were legends though and are the extreme exception.