04-10-2011, 02:08 AM
Did tonight's fight seal it for you?

(Fowler)
04-10-2011, 02:09 AM
Phuck yeagh,Hes always been a lil better in my eyes

El Terrible came back tonight

Holtol
04-10-2011, 02:13 AM
Allways thought Morales was better then Barrera. Tonight just showed how good Morales was in his prime and how much better he was then Kahn, Maidana, Ortiz, Kotelnik, Alexander, Bradley and others.

GrandpaBernard
04-10-2011, 02:16 AM
Allways thought Morales was better then Barrera. Tonight just showed how good Morales was in his prime and how much better he was then Kahn, Maidana, Ortiz, Kotelnik, Alexander, Bradley and others.
I was impressed by that too. A one eyed man well above his best weight class who shouldn't even be boxing anymore did what Amir couldn't do. He had better control over Maidana and defense than Amir did. It's the difference between all time skills and good skills.

IronDanHamza
04-10-2011, 02:17 AM
Yeah. I had Morales above Barrera before this fight anyway.

Holtol
04-10-2011, 02:20 AM
I was impressed by that too. A one eyed man well above his best weight class who shouldn't even be boxing anymore did what Amir couldn't do. He had better control over Maidana and defense than Amir did. It's the difference between all time skills and good skills.

With Morales punch and ability to take a punch he could allways have beat far bigger men in my mind. Plus never count a man with Morales will power out, he has enough will power to alter his own dna if need be. With both eyes he would have knocked out Maidana.

New England
04-10-2011, 02:23 AM

why on earth are you comparing him to jr WW's?

GrandpaBernard
04-10-2011, 02:26 AM
why on earth are you comparing him to jr WW's?I think he's trying to give us an idea of how skilled Morales is.

THe TRiNiTY
04-10-2011, 02:28 AM
Not for me. I've always liked the style of Barrera a bit more. Regardless, it was an incredible performance.

Holtol
04-10-2011, 02:35 AM
why on earth are you comparing him to jr WW's?

He just about beat a jr ww with one eye and far past prime. In his prime he would have done a lot better then he did tonight, espesially if he had his vision. He would have out performed Kahn, Ortiz, and Kotelnik.

chiguy91
04-10-2011, 02:35 AM
idk, for some reason i've always liked barrera more. it's probably cause i watched more of his fights. but with that said, morales is a true legend with his performance tonight. guy shouldn't even be laced up, yet still goes toe to toe with a young, pretty hyped fighter.....and with one eye! haha

Steak
04-10-2011, 02:36 AM
Ive always thought Morales>Barrera.

I wasnt too surprised about his performance tonight, but it does add a little icing on the cake to an already outstanding career.

New England
04-10-2011, 02:42 AM
I think he's trying to give us an idea of how skilled Morales is.

it's an odd way of doing it, comparing morales to comtemporary jr WW's when talking about his past accomplishments in relationship to that of marco antonio barerra

comparisons to fighters at or around his weight will provide a more appropriate context when talking about prime morales

.::|ULTIMATE|::.
04-10-2011, 02:44 AM
Morales was always above Barrera in my eyes. By a lot. His reign of relentless terror over a decade is still unequaled since. He fought so often, against the who's who of all the weight classes he fought and frankly he single handedly brought money to the lower classes.

Don't get me wrong.... Barrera is an all time great himself.... just no Morales. Morales defeated the fighters Barrera couldn't in relatively easy fashion. A lot of the fighters Barrera beat were merely a shadow of their former selves after Morales had beat them into semi-retirement. And lastly even Naseem Hamed chose Barrera to fight with over Morales feeling Barrera would be much easier than Morales.

BOLLOCKS
04-10-2011, 02:45 AM
Barrera's smaller/older, 2 inches shorter, started at 115, turn pro 4 years earlier.

Barrera gets no love.

EMSLDB
04-10-2011, 02:46 AM
Theyre saying that Barrera might fight brandon rios in september. It will be interesting to see if he could put a performance like erik did tonight

Flo_Raiden
04-10-2011, 03:21 AM
I've always liked Morales more, but I guess it has something to do with Barrera being a dick, plus the fact that Morales is more exciting and has beaten Jones and Pac. I say Morales has a slightly better legacy regardless of his two losses to Barrera.
Both are great fighters, that's all that matters to me.

Yuricane
04-10-2011, 04:00 AM
hhaha!! never ever!! barrera will school em again if they fight.....

MAB Morales 4 son!!! :bottle: :wank:

BigStereotype
04-10-2011, 04:07 AM
I don't even know. I've given up trying to order the three.

The Surgeon
04-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Its almost impossible to split em! JMM too.

Last night was imo a mark off how great Morales was but by proving that he also made it clear how great Barrera was too

Lets getr JMM vs El Terrible done and complete this circle

IronDanHamza
04-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Its almost impossible to split em! JMM too.

Last night was imo a mark off how great Morales was but by proving that he also made it clear how great Barrera was too

Lets getr JMM vs El Terrible done and complete this circle

I think Morales and Barrera are significantly greater than JMM.

Morales being the greatest of the 3, IMO.

I don't want to see Morales JMM at this point. Morales might be able to arguablly beat Maidanna at this stage but Maidanna is no JMM. JMM beats this Morales with ease at this stage of their careers. I really do not want to see that right now, not a representation of what would happen in each others primes, at all.

Steak
04-10-2011, 04:43 PM
I think Marquez is ripe for the picking. hes fading fast, and even when he was better arguably lost against a past it Barrera.

I dont know if I would favor Morales against Marquez, but I dont care and think its an interesting closing fight. I think Marquez will lose very soon however.

The Surgeon
04-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I think Marquez is ripe for the picking. hes fading fast, and even when he was better arguably lost against a past it Barrera.

I dont know if I would favor Morales against Marquez, but I dont care and think its an interesting closing fight. I think Marquez will lose very soon however.

Ive been thinking that for some time now but the old fart keeps winning and in style!

Its almost win win for him, when he does lose we will say its because he is past his best, and he is. But he is the man to beat and so far nobody in the division has done it, Gurrero looked good tho i think he gives JMM all he can handle.

Steak
04-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Ive been thinking that for some time now but the old fart keeps winning and in style!

Its almost win win for him, when he does lose we will say its because he is past his best, and he is. But he is the man to beat and so far nobody in the division has done it, Gurrero looked good tho i think he gives JMM all he can handle.

thats only because he fought Katsidis, who was almost perfect for him with his no defense wild style. even then Katsidis almost turned his lights out and might have been able to beat him if he had a right hand...wtf was wrong with it in that fight? it was like a downwards chop...really bothered me.

this might sound a little ludicrous, but I actually think both Guerrero and Miguel Vasquez beat Marquez at this point. Vasquez is not someone anyone talks about, but hes pretty ****ing clever and has a style that would annoy the hell out of Marquez.

The Surgeon
04-10-2011, 04:55 PM
I think Morales and Barrera are significantly greater than JMM.

Morales being the greatest of the 3, IMO.

I don't want to see Morales JMM at this point. Morales might be able to arguablly beat Maidanna at this stage but Maidanna is no JMM. JMM beats this Morales with ease at this stage of their careers. I really do not want to see that right now, not a representation of what would happen in each others primes, at all.

If u pressed me id probably say Morales was greater than Marquez. Dunno.

But i love them both and more than Barrera, Also style wise its cant miss action! My favourite fight of all the JMM/MAB/Morales/Pac fights has been Marquez vs Barrera and i think this has a chance of being similair. Maidana is painfully crude and wild but the man hits like a truck keeps coming and is legit, proper hardcase, im honestly not sure how JMM does there.

Morales vs Marquez needs to happen in the name of great fights

The Surgeon
04-10-2011, 05:01 PM
thats only because he fought Katsidis, who was almost perfect for him with his no defense wild style. even then Katsidis almost turned his lights out and might have been able to beat him if he had a right hand...wtf was wrong with it in that fight? it was like a downwards chop...really bothered me.

this might sound a little ludicrous, but I actually think both Guerrero and Miguel Vasquez beat Marquez at this point. Vasquez is not someone anyone talks about, but hes pretty ****ing clever and has a style that would annoy the hell out of Marquez.

In all honesty i havent seen Vasquez fight so cant call on that.

Man i loved Katsidis right, he throws it like that quite often actually but it did really stand out in the Juan Manuel fight for some reason.

Marquez is just a great fighter but he has been to the well a few times now and sooner or later that ***** drys up. He is almost too keen to "fight" now and has slowed. He gets tagged far easier these days too. Still imo he is the best combination puncher in the sport, has mad heart a good boxing brain when he uses it and is one hell of a counter puncher, a hard puncher at that too.

I think he beats Morales but i wanna see two of my all time favs square off for Mexican Pride, it cant fail to be a good fight whoever wins and however long it lasts

IronDanHamza
04-10-2011, 05:13 PM
If u pressed me id probably say Morales was greater than Marquez. Dunno.

But i love them both and more than Barrera, Also style wise its cant miss action! My favourite fight of all the JMM/MAB/Morales/Pac fights has been Marquez vs Barrera and i think this has a chance of being similair. Maidana is painfully crude and wild but the man hits like a truck keeps coming and is legit, proper hardcase, im honestly not sure how JMM does there.

Morales vs Marquez needs to happen in the name of great fights

I really struggle to see a case for JMM being greater than Morales. But hey that's JMO.

If JMM can make 140 well, Maidanna is an easy fight for him.

I just can't agree with that, It doesn't need to happen and I hope it doesn't. In their primes it would have been great, would have given an arm to see it. But right now? It proves nothing and has no legitimacy.

The Surgeon
04-10-2011, 05:19 PM
I really struggle to see a case for JMM being greater than Morales. But hey that's JMO.

If JMM can make 140 well, Maidanna is an easy fight for him.

I just can't agree with that, It doesn't need to happen and I hope it doesn't. In their primes it would have been great, would have given an arm to see it. But right now? It proves nothing and has no legitimacy.

If Marquez comes out and just dominates then fair enough, waste of time but trust me it will be worth watching, the styles would mesh so well and while u may not rate Maidana (god knows he's awfull) he can P.U.N.C.H! and is clearly one of the elite 140lb fighters, Morales handled his power and lasted with him throughout. That tells me JMM wont blow him out and we will get a good tv fight.

Dan if Morales wins and he might (not my pick tho) then we can say he was the greater fighter. Coz as far as Marquez has slipped Erik has fallen far further!

And i wouldnt bet on JMM having an easy night with Marcos Maidana, Katsidis gave him plenty to deal with and seriuously hurt him when he dropped him, Maidana is bigger stronger rougher, dirtier, harder punching and every bit as tough and relentless as Katsidis

SCtrojansbaby
04-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Wow you people Barrera has the better resume and beat him twice. Barrera is better then Morales and it isn't even that close.

IronDanHamza
04-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Wow you people Barrera has the better resume and beat him twice. Barrera is better then Morales and it isn't even that close.

Of course it's close.

Morales beat more Top 5 ranked fighters in their respective division throughout his career than Barrera did.

Barrera beat HOF'ers like ; Morales X2 and maybe in the future Naseem Hamed.

Morales beat HOF'ers like; Barrera, Pacqiauo and Zaragoza.

Both had plenty of title defenses at respective weights.

This doesn't conlclue Morales is greater, that's just my opinion.

However, what it does conclude it it most definitely a close comparison

bojangles1987
04-10-2011, 06:28 PM
I already knew this.The Maidana fight is irrefutable proof.

T.Horton
04-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Barrera's smaller/older, 2 inches shorter, started at 115, turn pro 4 years earlier.

Barrera gets no love.this is what i was thinking. not saying who is greater, just that we shouldn't be so fickle and forgetful. mab is quite accomplished, was holding his own with Khan himself (IMO) waaaaaay late in his career until he was busted open.

SCtrojansbaby
04-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Of course it's close.

Morales beat more Top 5 ranked fighters in their respective division throughout his career than Barrera did.

Barrera beat HOF'ers like ; Morales X2 and maybe in the future Naseem Hamed.

Morales beat HOF'ers like; Barrera, Pacqiauo and Zaragoza.

Both had plenty of title defenses at respective weights.

This doesn't conlclue Morales is greater, that's just my opinion.

However, what it does conclude it it most definitely a close comparison

I would say Barrera's wins against Moralesx2, Nas, Mckinney, and Tapia are better then Pacquiao, Barrera, Zarazoga, Jones and In Jinchi. I would say Barrera's "morale victory" over Marquez is significant also. Also it means very little or nothing but Barrera beat Kelley and Ayala worse then Morales did.

IronDanHamza
04-10-2011, 09:48 PM
I would say Barrera's wins against Moralesx2, Nas, Mckinney, and Tapia are better then Pacquiao, Barrera, Zarazoga, Jones and In Jinchi. I would say Barrera's "morale victory" over Marquez is significant also. Also it means very little or nothing but Barrera beat Kelley and Ayala worse then Morales did.

But even then that is a close comparison, No?

Morales has an exceptional resume at 122 also with wins over Zaragoza, Junior Jones and Barrera including 9 title defenses.

Barrera has more title defences at 122 but Morales beat much better competition there IMO.

At 126 Barrera has a stronger resume than Morales with his wins over Hamed, Tapia and Morales.

Then at 130, Morales also beat top contenders such as Jesus Chavez and Carlos Hernandez at 130 who were both considered to be Top 5 fighters at the time he beat them and obviously his win over Pacqiuao.

Barrera did beat Morales at 130 as we know but I'm going to have to go with Morales having the stronger resume at 130 also.

Again, this doesn't mean Morales is greater than Barrera. But you said It's not really close but I'm sorry I can't see any way that the comparison between Morales and Barrera isn't close. It is so blatently a close comparison.

But yeah, IMO It's Morales.

The_Demon
04-10-2011, 10:01 PM
I had Morales ranked slightly ahead of Barrera before last night anyway,last night was incredible though

JK1700
04-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Nah. I still go with Barrera. Thought he should have been 2-0-1 against Morales. First fight he won clearly. 2nd fight a draw. 3rd fight a very close win. Yeah Morales beat Pacquiao, but he also got embarrassed against Zahir Raheem, losing damn near every round right after he beat Manny. People state that he was past prime, but he was coming off his career best win. So that is just an excuse. Barrera beat Hamed, I thought he just about edged Marquez too (114-113). The scorecards from that fight do not reflect what in reality was an extremely close battle that could have gone either way. Doug Tucker's 118-109 scorecard was absolutley ridiculous. I'm glad that he is now banned from ever judging a fight again. Worst judge ever.

I don't really understand all the praise for Morales coming off his fight with Maidana. I scored it 9-3 for Chino. It was not close. Morales got hit alot, he showed flashes of his old self but very inconsistently. It's a shame that he's still fighting because he needs the money, when he should have enough to retire and leave boxing behind. Hopefully he doesn't get brain damage.

qari
04-12-2011, 05:20 PM
JK1700

barrera won 1st fight morales beat him second atleast 115-113 i had it 116-112 and morales won 3rd fight but it was more competitive than their 2nd fight

Ziggy Stardust
04-12-2011, 06:56 PM
People state that he was past prime, but he was coming off his career best win. So that is just an excuse.

"Career best win" doesn't mean a fighter isn't past-prime. Past-prime fighters are, among other things, notoriously up and down in their performances. The Foreman fight is frequently touted as Ali's "career best win" but only an ignorant retard thinks that was a prime Ali.

Poet

The Surgeon
04-17-2011, 04:14 PM
"Career best win" doesn't mean a fighter isn't past-prime. Past-prime fighters are, among other things, notoriously up and down in their performances. The Foreman fight is frequently touted as Ali's "career best win" but only an ignorant retard thinks that was a prime Ali.

Poet

Excellent point. Another example would be Shane Mosley vs Margarito, Mosley looked to be seriously sliding prior to the Mayorga fight and then appeared shot in that one but then goes and destroys that flithy cheating bastard Margarito. Looked ***** since. I think there is some truth to the saying a Great fighter always has ONE last great performance in him

BigStereotype
04-17-2011, 04:19 PM
JK1700

barrera won 1st fight morales beat him second atleast 115-113 i had it 116-112 and morales won 3rd fight but it was more competitive than their 2nd fight

How did Morales win the third fight when Barrera swept the first six rounds and at least drew the 12th?