View Full Version : If Thomas Hearns had a decent chin.........

Boxing Bob
04-09-2011, 06:59 PM
he would have been the greatest fighter that ever lived. He sure had all the other tools. Great jab, good body puncher, crushing right hand, great left hook, good reflexes, good hand speed, etc. On top of all that he was willing to fight anyone, was always in shape, and was ready when the bell rang. He also was amiable with the press and you never saw his name on a police report. Discussion?????????????

BigStereotype
04-09-2011, 07:05 PM
He did have a decent chin.

Steak
04-09-2011, 07:09 PM
I would say extra stamina could have helped his career out more overall. He would have most likely beaten Leonard at WW, and that would have been an outstanding win.

He did have a decent chin. I would say below average however. It was his reason for losing against Barkley, and almost cost him the Kinchen fight as well.

IronDanHamza
04-09-2011, 07:14 PM
I would say extra stamina could have helped his career out more overall. He would have most likely beaten Leonard at WW, and that would have been an outstanding win.

I would say below average however. It was his reason for losing against Barkley, and almost cost him the Kinchen fight as well.

Changed your mind now? During our discussion about me feeling stamina played more of a part than his chin you said you thought it was more his chin, right?

I would say his chin was dead average. Not below nor above.

Ziggy Stardust
04-09-2011, 07:17 PM
And if pigs had wings they could fly. If nuthuggers had brains they wouldn't be sub-human troglodytes.

Poet

Steak
04-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Changed your mind now? During our discussion about me feeling stamina played more of a part than his chin you said you thought it was more his chin, right?

I would say his chin was dead average. Not below nor above.
it depends honestly. At Welterweight, I would go for stamina, no doubt.

at middleweight and above, it was definitely his chin.

sleazyfellow
04-09-2011, 10:29 PM
He had a decent chin....recovering from getting hurt is another story.

Barn
04-10-2011, 06:02 AM
If George Foreman had speed.

TBear
04-10-2011, 06:05 AM
He did have a decent chin. There was no shame in losing to Leonard and Hagler and in the Barkley fight he dropped down after winning the light heavyweight title back to middleweight to fight Rodan and Barkley. He was weakened by that and it showed. He was no Chuvalo but he was no T. Norris either.

$BloodyNate$
04-10-2011, 06:47 AM
And if pigs had wings they could fly. If nuthuggers had brains they wouldn't be sub-human troglodytes.

Poet

*Googles the word troglodytes* hahahaha

His chin wasn't that bad. Just wasn't great. So I don't really think it would have made much difference. Probably would have beaten Barkley but who knows.

fitefanSHO
04-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Has anyone noticed that Thomas Hearns is NOT (yet) in the Boxing Hall of Fame?

He sure as hell deserves to be...

Jim Jeffries
04-10-2011, 11:38 AM
If Hearns was around today, fighting 12 rounders at WW, he'd be just fine.

And yeah, rather surprising to learn he's not in the HOF, yet.

T.Horton
04-10-2011, 11:42 AM
he's not in now, i'd assume, because he has fought within the last five years. please correct me if i am wrong.

Barn
04-10-2011, 12:01 PM
he's not in now, i'd assume, because he has fought within the last five years. please correct me if i am wrong.
That is correct :)

fitefanSHO
04-10-2011, 12:01 PM
He last fought in Feb of 06 so maybe next year he gets in?

Jim Jeffries
04-10-2011, 12:04 PM

Good catch, I forgot all about those two fights, without which he'd most assuredly be in already. One reason why I've been calling on Holyfield and Jones Jr to retire.

Rockin'
04-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Hearns had a descent chin. You don't beat some of the guys that he did without a descent beard. So he was stopped by Ray Leonard, that was mostly due to a lack of stamina. Was stopped by Marvin Hagler in a brutal war (where his legs weren't right to start the fight) and was surprised by Barkley when he dropped him. While Barkley was not a great technical boxer he did have great punching power as did Hagler. And Hearns was giving Hagler a hell of a run and beating the **** out of Barkley when the ko's happened. A fighter stands the chance of getting dropped every time that he steps into fight. Great chin or not anybody can be dropped with the properly placed shot.

Just look at the fighters that did stop him and then look at the long list of fighters that did not stop him. Thomas Hearns had a descent chin.........Rockin':boxing:

Ziggy Stardust
04-10-2011, 02:01 PM
If Joe Louis had the attitude of a young George Foreman.....

Barn
04-10-2011, 02:19 PM
If Joe Louis had the attitude of a young George Foreman.....
I think there would be a few in ring deaths :(

Ziggy Stardust
04-10-2011, 02:22 PM
I think there would be a few in ring deaths :(

I think you're right.....

GJC
04-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Don't think Hearns was chinny as such but his whiskers wern't up there with some of his other gifts. Probably a bit old fashioned but I think a bit more meat on his legs would have helped him. Didn't have a bad career though did he?

The Surgeon
04-10-2011, 04:43 PM
His chin gets shat on too imo, it wasnt even that bad just not a great chin.

U cant say that stuff anyways coz the same goes for Wlad Klitchkoor if Tyson was 7ft or if Calderon had power ect ect, just gotta take fighters as they are and even without the privalige of having a Great chin Tommy Hearns was one of the best that ever did it

The Surgeon
04-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Didn't have a bad career though did he?

No GJC he did ok i believe. :boxing:

I think ur right about the legs too, take Amir Khan for example. He will never be Marvin Hagler but his chin is 100x better these days and aside from maturing i think its down to him bulking up his legs and slimming down his upper body a touch