View Full Version : Michael Spinks vs Bernard Hopkins

Alec900
04-09-2011, 01:44 PM
who do you guys think should be ranked higher all time?
who would win h2h (at lhw)?

Michael Spinks
Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight champion

Best wins
Eddie Mustafa Muhammad
Dwight Muhammad Qawi
Larry Holmes x2
Gerry Cooney

Notable losses
Mike Tyson

Bernard Hopkins
Middleweight and Light Heavyweight champion

Best wins
Keith Holmes
Felix Trinidad
William Joppy
Antonio Tarver
Kelly Pavlik

Notable losses
Roy Jones jr
Jermain Taylor x2
Joe Calzaghe

Barnburner
04-09-2011, 02:14 PM
I honestly think Spinks would decision him, comfartable yet competitive decision.

IronDanHamza
04-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Micheal Spink is greater than Bernard Hopkins and would beat Bernard Hopkins at LHW, UD.

The Surgeon
04-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Spinks h2h for sure imo. Not an easy fight but an easy pick if u get me

And in terms of greatness i think id have to give it to Spinks too

SCtrojansbaby
04-10-2011, 04:57 PM
WOW at you people this is a nightmare matchup Spinks was a finesse fighter the kind that Bernard feasted on.

Spinks major weakness was fighting on the inside B-Hop is probable the most effective inside fighter of the last 30 years and Bernard has the better resume also.

Ziggy Stardust
04-10-2011, 06:34 PM
WOW at you people this is a nightmare matchup Spinks was a finesse fighter the kind that Bernard feasted on.

Spinks major weakness was fighting on the inside B-Hop is probable the most effective inside fighter of the last 30 years

Obviously someone who hasn't watched much of Michael Spinks at Light-Heavy :rolleyes9:

and Bernard has the better resume also.

Now THAT'S just fvcking ignorant and retarded :rolleyes9:

Poet

$Natedatpkid$
04-10-2011, 09:59 PM
I love Bernard but this is tough one for him. Hopkins is nearly impossible to beat clearly and comfortably. It's always by nearly a point or 2. I think he'd frustrate and give Spinks hell but probably come up just short in the end.

SCtrojansbaby
04-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Obviously someone who hasn't watched much of Michael Spinks at Light-Heavy :rolleyes9:

Now THAT'S just fvcking ignorant and retarded :rolleyes9:

Poet

B-Hop's resume is better then Spinks I don't see how that can even be disputed.

Shutout wins vs Tito Tarver Johnson and Pavlik and competitive but clear win vs #2 P4P Winky Wright

are greater then.

KO vs Cooney, competitive but clear win vs Muhaamad and Qawi and 2 razor thin wins vs Holmes

The_Demon
04-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Spinks wins 10 times out of 10 imo,there are very few fighters i would favour over a prime Spinks at 175 and Hopkins sure as hell isnt one of them,he looked good beating Pavlik and Tarver who were decent fighters themselves,and nobody can doubt how great B-hop is,but he comes up short in this one

Spinks should be ranked higher all time,although not by much

Ziggy Stardust
04-10-2011, 11:39 PM
B-Hop's resume is better then Spinks I don't see how that can even be disputed.

Shutout wins vs Tito Tarver Johnson and Pavlik and competitive but clear win vs #2 P4P Winky Wright

are greater then.

KO vs Cooney, competitive but clear win vs Muhaamad and Qawi and 2 razor thin wins vs Holmes

Dwight Muhammed Qawi
Eddie Mustafa Muhammed
Marvin Johnson
Yaqui Lopez

Pavlik and Johnson ain't in that class. Try again and prove once more you're an ignoramus.

PS. If you actually think Pavlik is anywhere NEAR that class you should be legally barred from ever watching a fight again as you're too fvcking retarded to comprehend what you're seeing.

Poet

CarlosG815
04-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Easy fight for the Jinx.

madmadworld
04-11-2011, 12:08 AM
BHop a living legend jumped up to lhw and beat champs near half his age this is what you remember about him

can anyone forget how Spinks looked... like he was about to be killed by Tyson. THOUGHT he was going to turn and run. instead he stayed let Mike hit him and Spinks got up and took the money and never returned or heard of again.

Spinks would have out pointed him heck he was a LWH and a great boxer

also i think Spinks could have beat Tyson if he would have Boxed him

SCtrojansbaby
04-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Dwight Muhammed Qawi
Eddie Mustafa Muhammed
Marvin Johnson
Yaqui Lopez

Pavlik and Johnson ain't in that class. Try again and prove once more you're an ignoramus.

PS. If you actually think Pavlik is anywhere NEAR that class you should be legally barred from ever watching a fight again as you're too fvcking retarded to comprehend what you're seeing.

Poet

LMAO what the hell did Mustafa Muhammed accomplish that Pavlik or Johnson didn't? Oh and wins against Marvin Johnson and Lopez aren't even as good as B-Hop's win against De La Hoya.

Why am I not surprised by this thread older=better strikes again. Spinks clear weakness is the lack of an inside game Spinks struggles unless there is distance. B-Hop is one of the best inside fighters of all time.

Scott9945
04-11-2011, 12:38 AM
LMAO what the hell did Mustafa Muhammed accomplish that Pavlik or Johnson didn't? Oh and wins against Marvin Johnson and Lopez aren't even as good as B-Hop's win against De La Hoya.

De La Hoya was a joke at 160 lbs. His record at that weight should have been 0-2. Johnson and Lopez were top contenders then, and they would be at least that now.

SCtrojansbaby
04-11-2011, 12:43 AM
De La Hoya was a joke at 160 lbs. His record at that weight should have been 0-2. Johnson and Lopez were top contenders then, and they would be at least that now.

B-Hop has fought almost dozen top contenders the level of Marvin Johnsons and Lopez. Echolsx2 Lipsey Allen x3 Eastman Joppy etc. I don't even see how its debatable as far as who has the better resume.

$Natedatpkid$
04-11-2011, 01:21 AM
I would say in my opinion(take it as you do) if you think Hopkins would get shut out or easily defeated you clearly don't respect Hopkins and give him enough credit. HE MAKES EVERYBODY LOOK BAD. NOBODY beats him with a comfortable scorecard. NOBODY. Only young Roy Jones did it because he came out of the Olympics as a amazing amateur were Hopkins started out of jail and got better as he got older. There was never a fight after the Jones fight were the whole boxing world can agree Hopkins clearly lost and a lot not think he won.

But if you think Hopkins wins in my opinion I think your giving him a little too much credit. Not impossible but not likely. Spinks BARELY eeks this one out IMO like on a 115-113 114-113 type scorecard. Hopkins would make it ugly.

DeepSleep
04-11-2011, 01:23 AM
Hopkins was at his best at MW while Spinks was at his best at LHW. I'll take Spinks H2H over Hopkins at LHW.

All time it's a very tough call, I think Spinks may have been better in his prime than Hopkins in his prime but Hopkins was so good for such ridiculously a long time it makes making a decision come down to what you factor more.

joseph5620
04-11-2011, 03:11 AM

Michael Spinks
Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight champion

Best wins
Eddie Mustafa Muhammad
Dwight Muhammad Qawi
Larry Holmes x2
Gerry Cooney

Notable losses
Mike Tyson

Bernard Hopkins
Middleweight and Light Heavyweight champion

Best wins
Keith Holmes
Felix Trinidad
William Joppy
Antonio Tarver
Kelly Pavlik

Notable losses
Roy Jones jr
Jermain Taylor x2
Joe Calzaghe

Spinks by clear Decision. Spinks is one of the best in history at 175. Hopkins isn't at 175 although I rate him highly historically at 160.

All time I rate Hopkins higher. What he has done at his age(and still doing) is remarkable and unmatched imo.

joseph5620
04-11-2011, 03:17 AM

Is he seriously saying a win over Delahoya at 160 is better than wins over Yaqui Lopez and Marvin Johnson at 175? That's beyond ridiculous. :nonono:

joseph5620
04-11-2011, 03:40 AM
B-Hop has fought almost dozen top contenders the level of Marvin Johnsons and Lopez. Echolsx2 Lipsey Allen x3 Eastman Joppy etc. I don't even see how its debatable as far as who has the better resume.

LOL Interesting how you say Marvin Johnson and Mustafa Muhammad never did anything while throwing Joe Lipsey's name in there. Who the hell did Joe Lipsey ever beat ? He wasn't on the level of Johnson or Lopez. Not even close. Echols and Allen are not on Johnson's level either. Maybe you would like to explain how you came to that conclusion? Both Johnson and Muhammad have wins over top fighters and world champions.

bojangles1987
04-11-2011, 08:39 AM
At 175 Spinks wins this.

SCtrojansbaby
04-11-2011, 09:00 AM
LOL Interesting how you say Marvin Johnson and Mustafa Muhammad never did anything while throwing Joe Lipsey's name in there. Who the hell did Joe Lipsey ever beat ? He wasn't on the level of Johnson or Lopez. Not even close. Echols and Allen are not on Johnson's level either. Maybe you would like to explain how you came to that conclusion? Both Johnson and Muhammad have wins over top fighters and world champions.

Lets start over.

B-Hop's top 5 wins are greater then those of Spinks. And after the top 5 wins its basically negligible comparing guys like Marvin Johnson Lopez etc to guys like Robert Allen DLH. Therefore Bernard has the better resume.

As for head to head its a classic case of Spinks big weakness inside fighting being one of B-Hop's biggest strengths.

Oh and of course Lipsey didn't beat anyone B-Hop finished his career.

joseph5620
04-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Lets start over.

B-Hop's top 5 wins are greater then those of Spinks. And after the top 5 wins its basically negligible comparing guys like Marvin Johnson Lopez etc to guys like Robert Allen DLH. Therefore Bernard has the better resume.

As for head to head its a classic case of Spinks big weakness inside fighting being one of B-Hop's biggest strengths.

Oh and of course Lipsey didn't beat anyone B-Hop finished his career.

Why don't you stick to what you actually said instead of backing out of it. You said beating Delahoya was better than beating Johnson or Lopez. You said Lipsey, Echols, and Allen were as good as Johnson. Ridiculous. Lipsey never beat any top fighters. Period. So again I ask how does he rank with Johnson and Lopez? If you can't answer it just say so.

Jim Jeffries
04-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Why don't you stick to what you actually said instead of backing out of it. You said beating Delahoya was better than beating Johnson or Lopez. You said Lipsey, Echols, and Allen were as good as Johnson. Ridiculous. Lipsey never beat any top fighters. Period. So again I ask how does he rank with Johnson and Lopez? If you can't answer it just say so.

That dude is way off base, but I am curious. What top fighters had Johnson beat when he faced Bernard?

RubenSonny
04-11-2011, 02:44 PM
That dude is way off base, but I am curious. What top fighters had Johnson beat when he faced Bernard?

Marvin Johnson, not Glen Johnson.

joseph5620
04-11-2011, 04:04 PM

Thank you.

DeepSleep
04-11-2011, 05:12 PM
For arguments sake:

Feel free to correct me if you disagree with these:

Spinks Top 5 Wins:
- Holmes
- Cooney
- Qawi
- Muhammad
- Johnson

Hopkins Top 5 Wins:
- Trinidad
- Winky
- Tarver
- Johnson
- Joppy (Or ODH)

BigStereotype
04-11-2011, 05:19 PM
I would say in my opinion(take it as you do) if you think Hopkins would get shut out or easily defeated you clearly don't respect Hopkins and give him enough credit. HE MAKES EVERYBODY LOOK BAD. NOBODY beats him with a comfortable scorecard. NOBODY. Only young Roy Jones did it because he came out of the Olympics as a amazing amateur were Hopkins started out of jail and got better as he got older. There was never a fight after the Jones fight were the whole boxing world can agree Hopkins clearly lost and a lot not think he won.

But if you think Hopkins wins in my opinion I think your giving him a little too much credit. Not impossible but not likely. Spinks BARELY eeks this one out IMO like on a 115-113 114-113 type scorecard. Hopkins would make it ugly.

I really can't add anything to this. Great breakdown.

RubenSonny
04-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Thank you.

Ridiculous upper-hook that put Johnson out in that fight.

Jim Jeffries
04-11-2011, 06:03 PM

Thanks. I just always hear "undefeated" Glen referred to as one of Hopkins' biggest wins, when in fact he hadn't faced anyone with a pulse prior. Johnson would go on to become a good fighter, but there is no proof he was one when Hopkins faced him.

joseph5620
04-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Ridiculous upper-hook that put Johnson out in that fight.

Yeah I was watching that the other day. The fight was actually good while it lasted lol.

RubenSonny
04-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks. I just always hear "undefeated" Glen referred to as one of Hopkins' biggest wins, when in fact he hadn't faced anyone with a pulse prior. Johnson would go on to become a good fighter, but there is no proof he was one when Hopkins faced him.

Yeah I hear you on that, its a boxrec thing :lol1: Hopkins did look excellent in that fight and I guess he is the only man to stop him, whatever thats worth. Its not dissimilar to Sanchez win over Nelson, man I get so emotional watching that fight :lol1:

RubenSonny
04-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah I was watching that the other day. The fight was actually good while it lasted lol.

Spinks and Saad-Muhammad talked some **** to each other after, if only they could have met.

Spinks herky-jerky style and ability to pull off shots like those is what makes me think he would have a good chance to knock Jones out.

Jim Jeffries
04-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Yeah I hear you on that, its a boxrec thing :lol1: Hopkins did look excellent in that fight and I guess he is the only man to stop him, whatever thats worth. Its not dissimilar to Sanchez win over Nelson, man I get so emotional watching that fight :lol1:

I have heard several people seriously claim that Glen was Hopkins' best win, saying he was an undefeated, prime guy that was his size. Plus like you say only guy to stop him. I just count pre prime wins/losses the same as post prime, and Johnson was clearly pre prime, as in having not yet faced even a top 50 MW. Doesn't matter if you're 35-0 or 135-0 if you're fighting club fighters, you haven't yet proven you're world class.

RubenSonny
04-11-2011, 06:26 PM
I have heard several people seriously claim that Glen was Hopkins' best win, saying he was an undefeated, prime guy that was his size. Plus like you say only guy to stop him. I just count pre prime wins/losses the same as post prime, and Johnson was clearly pre prime, as in having not yet faced even a top 50 MW. Doesn't matter if you're 35-0 or 135-0 if you're fighting club fighters, you haven't yet proven you're world class.

It was also quite some time before he did anything after, if I'm not mistaken.

joseph5620
04-11-2011, 08:04 PM

Yeah for Nelson to put on that type of performance after only 13 fights, against a champion like Sanchez, is an example of how great he was.

RubenSonny
04-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah for Nelson to put on that type of performance after only 13 fights, against a champion like Sanchez, is an example of how great he was.

He was actually a late replacement and took the fight on less than 2 weeks notice....pretty insane if you ask me.

Jury
04-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Not only do I think Spinks could outpoint Hopkins at light heavyweight, I think he was alot stronger and punched alot harder.

joseph5620
04-11-2011, 08:29 PM
He was actually a late replacement and took the fight on less than 2 weeks notice....pretty insane if you ask me.

I didn't think about that. That's a great point.

RubenSonny
04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
I didn't think about that. That's a great point.

Very off topic but its just crazy how he took Sanchez so deep like that. In addition his mouthpiece was stolen just before the fight and he used a crappy non custom one which is why his mouth was swelling so badly, courageous performance on Nelsons part.

joseph5620
04-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Very off topic but its just crazy how he took Sanchez so deep like that. In addition his mouthpiece was stolen just before the fight and he used a crappy non custom one which is why his mouth was swelling so badly, courageous performance on Nelsons part.

Yeah it's easy to become a Nelson fan after that fight :lol1:. A lot of fighters go downhill after losing big fights that early in their career. Nelson just got better.

RubenSonny
04-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah it's easy to become a Nelson fan after that fight :lol1:. A lot of fighters go downhill after losing big fights that early in their career. Nelson just got better.

I've never met anyone to dislike Nelson or Sanchez either. Yeah its pretty remarkable how he came out of that, I guess the stoppage wasn't brutal, the way he beat down Gomez and demolished Cowdell not too long after is incredible. I can't think of anyone else to do anything like he did in recent times, what Joe Jeannette did after facing Johnson few times is very impressive.

I think I need to make an Azumah Nelson tribute thread tomorrow.

joseph5620
04-12-2011, 01:12 AM
I've never met anyone to dislike Nelson or Sanchez either. Yeah its pretty remarkable how he came out of that, I guess the stoppage wasn't brutal, the way he beat down Gomez and demolished Cowdell not too long after is incredible. I can't think of anyone else to do anything like he did in recent times, what Joe Jeannette did after facing Johnson few times is very impressive.

I think I need to make an Azumah Nelson tribute thread tomorrow.

That would be cool. There are a number of his fights I enjoy watching repeatedly.

Ziggy Stardust
04-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Why am I not surprised by this thread older=better strikes again.

Why am I not surprised by this poster's newer = better striking again? Oh that's right! Because the ignorant retard pops up in damn near every thread like feces floating to the surface of the bowl :bullsh1t9:

Poet

ИATAS
04-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Hopkins at Light Heavyweight is 40+ years old, Spinks was in his prime at LH so it's kind of unfair to judge how a past prime 40+ year old would do against a prime Spinks. If Hopkins fought in his prime at LH we could get a better idea but he never did.

Alec900
04-14-2011, 01:23 PM
when was Hopkins prime exactly,he was 36 when he fought Trinidad,his best win.Tarver is his second best win and he was 40 then

Ziggy Stardust
04-14-2011, 01:27 PM
when was Hopkins prime exactly,he was 36 when he fought Trinidad,his best win.Tarver is his second best win and he was 40 then

Hopkins was at the tail-end of his prime when he beat Trinidad. You can still have some of your best wins when you're past-prime: See Muhammed Ali.

Poet

Steak
04-14-2011, 01:30 PM
biggest win=prime is one of the most annoying untrue reoccuring myths that comes up on this website.

joseph5620
04-14-2011, 01:34 PM
biggest win=prime is one of the most annoying untrue reoccuring myths that comes up on this website.

I agree. That's the first thing that came to my mind when I read it.

Scott9945
04-14-2011, 07:10 PM
I agree. That's the first thing that came to my mind when I read it.

Same here. People want to see these things as black/white when there is a lot of gray area involved.

SCtrojansbaby
04-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Great boxers can reinvent themselves and can have different primes. Hopkins had 3

1st the aggresive KO artist entire career pre Trinidad

2nd the super cautious defensive fighter post trinidad until the 2nd Taylor fight

3rd the 175 Hopkins which who is a little hit(Pavlik Tarver Winky) or miss(Pascal Calzaghe Jones still won all 3 though).

The 3rd Hopkins when he hits in my opinion is by far the best of the 3.

Ziggy Stardust
04-14-2011, 09:07 PM

Perfect example of why retards should keep retarted opinions to themselves.

Poet

The_Demon
04-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Great boxers can reinvent themselves and can have different primes. Hopkins had 3

1st the aggresive KO artist entire career pre Trinidad

2nd the super cautious defensive fighter post trinidad until the 2nd Taylor fight

3rd the 175 Hopkins which who is a little hit(Pavlik Tarver Winky) or miss(Pascal Calzaghe Jones still won all 3 though).

No he didnt,he is 1-1-1 in those 3 fights

And no fighter in history has ever had 3 'primes'

SCtrojansbaby
04-14-2011, 09:21 PM
No he didnt,he is 1-1-1 in those 3 fights

And no fighter in history has ever had 3 'primes'

I would say Ali also had 3 primes

Scott9945
04-14-2011, 09:36 PM
I would say Ali also had 3 primes

The more you dig, the deeper the hole gets. :pat:

joseph5620