View Full Version : Anderson Silva vs Yushin Okami set for UFC Rio!

Dorian
04-09-2011, 12:45 PM
UFC middleweight champion and a national celebrity after knocking Vitor Belfort out at UFC 126, Anderson Silva will be the biggest star of UFC Rio card. According to Rodrigo ‘Minotauro’ Nogueira, former UFC heavyweight champion and his training partner, Silva will fight Yushin Okami, the last opponent to defeat him (by DQ at Rumble on the Rock 8, in 2006), trying to set a new record of nine straight title defenses in the UFC. The return of the organization to Brazil will take place at Rio de Janeiro’s HSBC Arena, on August 27.

SHERDOG.

Dorian
04-09-2011, 12:59 PM
UFC will confirm it soon, I hope. Okami deserves the title shot, I hope he stays healthy and we can see the fight.

elgranluchadore
04-09-2011, 01:39 PM
UFC in rio thats gonna be crazy

rainmaker89
04-09-2011, 09:34 PM
hooray for GSP...the PBF of mma, keep runnin :bottle:

-Swizzy-
04-10-2011, 05:34 PM
hooray for GSP...the PBF of mma, keep runnin :bottle:

in the UFC, fighters don't have much control over who they want to fight. If the UFC wants GSP to fight Silva, than there is nothing GSP can do about it. He isn't running because he isn't the one who made this decision.

Dorian
04-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Silva said he will cut to 178 to fight GSP.

Clegg
04-10-2011, 05:40 PM
in the UFC, fighters don't have much control over who they want to fight. If the UFC wants GSP to fight Silva, than there is nothing GSP can do about it. He isn't running because he isn't the one who made this decision.

Yes, GSP can turn down a fight with Anderson if he wants. He probably couldn't refuse to defend his title against Shields, Fitch or whoever else the UFC makes the number one contender, but they're not going to force him to move up to a weight he's never fought at and face the champion straight away.

That being said, Anderson Silva fans can't criticise GSP for not moving up to face Silva because Silva doesn't seem willing to move up and face Jones.

T.Horton
04-10-2011, 05:44 PM
That being said, Anderson Silva fans can't criticise GSP for not moving up to face Silva because Silva doesn't seem willing to move up and face Jones.this would be silly on the part of silva in my opinion. he would never be able to cut 178 (the big money fight with gsp) if he moves up to fight jones.

Clegg
04-10-2011, 05:50 PM
this would be silly on the part of silva in my opinion. he would never be able to cut 178 (the big money fight with gsp) if he moves up to fight jones.

Not sure if Silva can make 178 or not but if he goes to 205 I don't think it'd be too hard for him to come back to MW as he's done it before. Jmo but I don't think the fight should be at a catchweight anyway.

It doesn't seem like GSP wants to move up anytime soon though so if Anderson is interested in facing Jones he should just do it rather than waiting for a GSP fight that looks like it might never happen.

T.Horton
04-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Not sure if Silva can make 178 or not but if he goes to 205 I don't think it'd be too hard for him to come back to MW as he's done it before. Jmo but I don't think the fight should be at a catchweight anyway.

It doesn't seem like GSP wants to move up anytime soon though so if Anderson is interested in facing Jones he should just do it rather than waiting for a GSP fight that looks like it might never happen.i am rather new to this, i hadn't realized that he had cut that much weight before.

- v e t -
04-10-2011, 06:07 PM
WAR OKAMI

i dont even know who he is :)

im just THAT over silva

mic573
04-10-2011, 11:23 PM
That being said, Anderson Silva fans can't criticise GSP for not moving up to face Silva because Silva doesn't seem willing to move up and face Jones.

This is true. The minute Jones won the title alot of people started thinking Jones/Silva then Silva almost quickly came out and said that he tested the waters at 205 and will not return.

Silva is just talking out of his ass by saying that will cut down anywhere near 170. He is too big for that.

ƒallenloki
04-11-2011, 01:06 PM

As usual, you're wrong.

GSP doesn't want the Silva fight. That's not opinion, that's fact. Look at the GSP interviews when the questions, he backpedals, he dodges, and he states that the weight difference is too large (Valid).

ƒallenloki
04-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Oh, having said that...

War Okami!

I don't think he'll win, but it's good to see him get the shot.

F l i c k e r
04-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Check Okami's wikipedia. Dana says "maybe" Okami will get a shot in 2012. :nonono:

Okami is my boy. He deserves a shot and he will beat Sliva. :lol1:

$BloodyNate$
04-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Reports of Okami vs Silva are premature (http://mmajunkie.com/news/23183/sources-anderson-silva-vs-yushin-okami-ufc-rio-reports-are-premature.mma)

MMAJUNKIE.com

Supposely if GSP has no problem with Shields which he shouldn't then their is a good possibility of finally the super fight we ALL want to see between Silva & GSP.

I think Okami has earned a rematch but I'd be lying if I said I'd rather see it over this superfight. LET GSP GET KNOCKED THE **** OUT!

Nick Fury
04-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Can you imagine if Okami wins?

The riot police better be ready for some action that night.

JonoYoungP4P
04-11-2011, 10:08 PM
homecomin for silva

Virgil Caine
04-12-2011, 08:10 AM
If the Sonnen fight wasn't a fluke performance (and I do believe the story about the rib injury), I could see Okami potentially pressuring him, if Okami has a good night. Anderson should beat him down, but he's getting older now and I wouldn't let a one shot KO over Belfort fool you (as impressive as that kick was).

Okami would be a huge underdog no doubt, and rightfully so, but I'm not going to sleep on him personally, especially because he strikes me as a guy with an iron will (as are many Japanese fighters).

Dorian
04-12-2011, 01:41 PM
They should make Silva/Okami first, to give GSP more time to adjust to 185 if he beats Shields.

Okami got screwed by Dana, they promised the winner of Nate-Okami a title shot(everyone thought Nate would win) then he screws Okami.

Dorian
04-12-2011, 01:42 PM
He did the same thing to Fitch also, the winner of Alves/Fitch 2 will get a shot at GSP, fitch won easily and what happened?

-Swizzy-
04-12-2011, 02:00 PM

It doesn't seem like GSP wants to move up anytime soon though so if Anderson is interested in facing Jones he should just do it rather than waiting for a GSP fight that looks like it might never happen.

GSP has always planned on moving up to MW when his business at WW is done. There's a reason why GSP is adding on 5 lbs of extra muscle between fights. He walks around between 195 to 200 between fights now even though he doesn't need all that muscle for welterweight.

GSP has always said that when he moves up, he isn't moving back down, thats why this fight isn't happening yet. But I'm pretty sure this fight will happen eventually. It would be a shame for mma if this fight never happened.

Virgil Caine
04-12-2011, 02:10 PM
GSP has always planned on moving up to MW when his business at WW is done. There's a reason why GSP is adding on 5 lbs of extra muscle between fights. He walks around between 195 to 200 between fights now even though he doesn't need all that muscle for welterweight.

GSP has always said that when he moves up, he isn't moving back down, thats why this fight isn't happening yet. But I'm pretty sure this fight will happen eventually. It would be a shame for mma if this fight never happened.
Better happen soon, or he'll have to go find Silva in the retirement home.

Or maybe he's waiting for him to get old. He doesn't have to wait long.

F l i c k e r
04-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Okami got screwed by Dana, they promised the winner of Nate-Okami a title shot(everyone thought Nate would win) then he screws Okami.

Exactly! They give guys with lesser records and a shorter streak, title shots. Okami is the only dude in the UFC that goes 10-2 and doesn't get a shot. And those losses are Rich MFing Franklin and Chael Sonnen. One legit ass dude and the other the only guy to push Silva to the brink.

Better happen soon, or he'll have to go find Silva in the retirement home.

Or maybe he's waiting for him to get old. He doesn't have to wait long.

That's the only way he will ever beat Silva. Otherwise GSP gets kayo'd.

Blackfoot
04-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Silva should really shrug Okami off easily. Chael wrote the book on how to defeat Anderson, maybe Okami can figure out a way to keep busy while controlling Silva.

Easy to see that Yushin is the physically bigger guy, but still.. It seems to be a very humbling task to try and defeat Anderson Silva.

Also the talk about Anderson vs GSP, everyone counting GSP out so quickly is a bit childish. He's got the strength and technique to defeat anyone at 185lbs. It would be foolish to think that Anderson would dispatch him easily. He's got the wrestling needed to lay and pray Silva.

F l i c k e r
04-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Silva should really shrug Okami off easily. Chael wrote the book on how to defeat Anderson, maybe Okami can figure out a way to keep busy while controlling Silva.

Easy to see that Yushin is the physically bigger guy, but still.. It seems to be a very humbling task to try and defeat Anderson Silva.

Also the talk about Anderson vs GSP, everyone counting GSP out so quickly is a bit childish. He's got the strength and technique to defeat anyone at 185lbs. It would be foolish to think that Anderson would dispatch him easily. He's got the wrestling needed to lay and pray Silva.

Just like:

Hayato Sakurai
Carlos Newton
Jeremy Horn
Chris Leben
Rich Franklin
Nate Marquardt
Dan Henderson
James Irvin
Forest Griffin
Chael Sonnen

and Vitor Belfort..... right? :lol1:

-Swizzy-
04-13-2011, 10:13 PM
As usual, you're wrong.

GSP doesn't want the Silva fight. That's not opinion, that's fact. Look at the GSP interviews when the questions, he backpedals, he dodges, and he states that the weight difference is too large (Valid).

Silva vs GSP is going to be announced in the ring right after the GSP-Shields fight.

remember I said that.

Blackfoot
04-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Just like:

Hayato Sakurai
Carlos Newton
Jeremy Horn
Chris Leben
Rich Franklin
Nate Marquardt
Dan Henderson
James Irvin
Forest Griffin
Chael Sonnen

and Vitor Belfort..... right? :lol1:

What does that have to do with assuming he'd beat them easily?

Though Silva may have done so, it would be foolish to think anyone would easily defeat the fighters I bolded.

the traveler
04-14-2011, 09:25 AM
damn, 4 months away. Silva really doesn't fight much anymore. He has like 2 fights each year.

F l i c k e r
04-14-2011, 10:47 AM
What does that have to do with assuming he'd beat them easily?

Though Silva may have done so, it would be foolish to think anyone would easily defeat the fighters I bolded.

That's the point. His track record says, "your good but I will own you"

So, we can all say GSP will be a tough fight but when/if they do fight, Silva has shown over and over again to brutalize those guys and make it look easy.