Handspeed: ?
    Defense: Liston
    Jab: Liston
    Reach: Liston
    Offense: Liston
    Combinations: Liston
    Workrate: ?
    Intangibles: Foreman

George Foreman vs Sonny Liston, including expert analysis from the Ring, June 1992. Might come a bit of a surprise to the younger posters to hear Terrell and Wepner's opinions..

Bill Gallo- "These were two very strong and determined fighters. Liston really was a very good fighter. becaise of his negative personality, and the bizarre outcomes of the Ali fights, he isn't given as much credit as he deserves. He ahd a great jab, and knockout power in both hands. His mean persona made him appear bigger than he actually was.
    The old Foreman was always going forward. I don't recall him ever taking backward steps. He thought he could knock everybody out. Buyt he didn't have one-punch knockout power. His punches were usually heavy, thudding blows that wore guys down. It usually took Foreman several successive punches to knock a guy out. And when he wasn't successful, he was usually the one who would run down, as in his fights with Ali and Jimmy Young.
    Foreman would come and go after Liston the way he did against Ali. But Liston was cagey. He would bide his time, slowing Foreman down with his jab. As the fight progressed, liston would do more scoring. I see Liston coming on in the later rounds, taking control, and stopping Foreman sometime after the 10th round."

Bill Gallo is a veteran boxing writer and cartoonist from the New York Daily News.

Ernie Terrell- "Oh boy, it would have been something to watch! We're talking about two very tough men, not just tough fighters, Liston was a very good boxer in his prime, which was the late-50's and early-60's. I sparred with him, but since I was much taller, and was a boxer, his jab, which was one of his best weopons, didn't affect me the way it did most other fighters. Physically, he could do more in the ring than Foreman.
    It's a shame Foreman couldn't combine the power and speed of his youth with the improved defense and maturaity he shows today. Still, he was a very strong guy. Most of the men he knocked out he hurt first. Foreman had a great chin, but even greater determination. Getting up from those knockdowns and coming back to beat Ron Lyle proved what he was made of.
    The fight would flow the same way Foreman-Lyle did. Both men would connect with big punches. But Liston was abetter all-round boxer, and he was certainly a better puncher than Lyle. By o means would it be an easy fight for Liston. But I see him coming on as Foreman weakens, and scoring a knockout around the 11th round."

Chicago based promoter Ernie Terrell is a former WBA heavyweight champion.

Chuck Wepner- "I fought Liston in his last fight, and Foreman when he was on his way up, so I speak from experience when I say they were two of the hardest punchers ever. it would be hard to match two harder-hitting heavyweights. Even though I though Liston was at the end, I thought he was still a very good boxer. He took a good punch, and he had a lot of savvy. In his prime, he could do it all.
    When he was younger, Foreman's most impressive quality was his awesome brute strength. He liked to push people around, but he could be wild with his punches, and that cost him against Muhammad Ali. He was alot like Liston then. Both liked to intimidate their opponents, but you couldn't intimidate either one of them. With George, though, it was an act; he's always been a good guy.
    It would be an action packed fight. Both had good, hard jabs, and didn't hesitate to open up and throw bombs. But Liston was a much better boxer. i don't beleive anyone could have beaten Liston in his prime, including Ali. I see Liston stopping Foreman in six or seven rounds."

A heavyweight contender in the 70's, Chuck Wepener was stopped by both Liston and Foreman.
    What do people here think?

I would pick Liston late.

In Head to Head matchups. I rate Liston very highly.

Comment

I dunno man Big George is a beast. This one's a really hard one for me. I feel like I need to rewatch Foreman and Liston fights now.....

Comment

I'd go with Liston in this one. Big George seemed to be in awe of Sonny and I feel as if Liston's defense would be key in this match up, Liston TKO 9.

Comment

This would just be, ahh man. Epic.

George said Liston is the only person who ever stood up to him.

In my opinion Liston would do more than stand up to him. Liston beats him IMO.

Liston's amazing jab is the key, and the fact he is technically much better than George.

Comment

Would be one hell of a fight but id have too favour Liston,he holds a lot of advantages over big George and i think he stops him late,the first 3 or 4 rounds would be incredibly exciting i feel

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              I would pick Liston late.

In Head to Head matchups. I rate Liston very highly.
              So do I the only guys I would favour to beat him are Ali and maybe Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Monkz View Post
                I'd go with Liston in this one. Big George seemed to be in awe of Sonny and I feel as if Liston's defense would be key in this match up, Liston TKO 9.
                Yeah I can see Liston stopping him late. The early rounds would be insane though

Off Topic:
                Does anyone know if footage of their sparring sessions exists?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Demon View Post
                  Would be one hell of a fight but id have too favour Liston,he holds a lot of advantages over big George and i think he stops him late,the first 3 or 4 rounds would be incredibly exciting i feel
                  Some company is going to have to put a computer simulation together so we can watch these fights

Comment

In many ways they're a mirror of each other. Not surprising given that a young Foreman patterned himself on Liston. The biggest difference is Liston had a more refined skill set which should give him the edge. Example: Foreman had a very good jab, Liston had an all-time great jab.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                    X