View Full Version : Medicine Ball too heavy?

Jackin
09-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Im only 147 lbs and I bought a 15 lb medicine ball, Im pretty strong, but probably not as strong as I should be. But when I perform the plyometric medicine ball throws, I cannot explosively throw the ball at all, should I have bought a lighter ball, or are you not supposed to be able to throw the ball explosively at all?

Tony Blitz
09-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Pylometrics are supposed to be done when you maxed your strength, that's probably your problem.

EXIGE
09-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Pylometrics are supposed to be done when you maxed your strength, that's probably your problem.
I disagree. Plyometrics can be done to gain strength too. Whilst you have not completely maxed out your strength.

lowkey77
09-19-2005, 12:34 AM
15lbs??? damn.....
i would have gone with a 4-5lbs ball. Man, with that weight if you are not carefull, you will really hurt yourself

random guy
09-22-2005, 02:26 AM
for the med ball throws, start with a smaller ball 4-5 lbs. this way tou can work on speed,power and endurance and work your way up to the 15 lb ball. I was reading a article on ross boxing about it, it's like if the ball is to big you gain power but lose speed or something like that.

Pugnacious_Z
09-22-2005, 02:31 AM
hey, u got a 15lb ball, how far can u throw it up?

Jackin
09-22-2005, 06:22 PM
How far can I throw it up? Hell if I know. And what kind of throw are you talking about? (underhand, overhead press type throw, etc.)

Pugnacious_Z
09-23-2005, 12:26 AM
well i mean its u can throw it in air like 5ft+ in all the exercises then dats good weight.

ricecrispi
09-23-2005, 02:25 AM
Its too heavy.

Plain and Simple.

You said it feels to heavy and thinks its to heavy then it's too heavy. How am I suppose to know if it's too heavy unless I see it or you tell me it's too heavy on a forum.

Sell or return that ball and get smaller one. Buy 8 or 10 pound ball and when you max out with does go to 12 pounder then 15 pounder. Ifyou max out......

Jackin
09-23-2005, 01:59 PM
I can throw it in the air with an overhead toss about 7-10 feet and I can throw it about 9-11 feet with a chest pass, but I'm not explosive. Will it come in time if I keep working with it? I'm going to buy a 10 lb ball anyways. Thanks for the advice.

BigDozer260
09-23-2005, 10:37 PM
I disagree. Plyometrics can be done to gain strength too. Whilst you have not completely maxed out your strength. But you won't completely achieve maximum power either, and without a proper strength base plyometrics are very dangerous. The whole purpose of strength conditioning is to prepare the body to handle the demands of ever increasing physical stress. Plyometrics are the pennicle of physicle strain and stress the final stage of pre competition or off season training. So theoretically you could use only plyometrics, but because of an unbalanced training routine your results will not push the limits of your capabilities and possibly end your training cyle in injury.

.::EnRiQuE::.
09-24-2005, 04:42 PM
i have a 10lb. medicine ball...its not heavy enough, but i think a 15lb. medicine ball might be too much