View Full Version : Small hands = lower punch impact?

Maxgaggi
04-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Itīs kind of an awkward question, but do you goys think that the size of a boxerīs hand affects the impact on the target? Some guys at the gym are lightweights but they got these huge freakin hands that look like rocks lol....my hands for example arenīt that big for a middleweight. Do you think it affects during striking?

.WaRCoTTo.
04-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Not at all, Miguel Cotto for example has little ass hands compared to most of his opponents, turn your body to get the power you're looking for, it's in the technique and torque of the punch to have a greater impact, not the size of your hands.

mushahadeen
04-06-2011, 10:41 PM
all things being equal, of course. mass, speed = power.

all you can do is use superior technique to make up for it.

F A R L A P
04-07-2011, 12:00 AM

yeah light = less power BUT smaller surface area means higher force/impact.

Could also argue that the bigger fist will be slower as it takes more force to move and therefore less power.

Overall I wouldn't worry about it. With gloves - fist size is close enough to equal. Any advantage in weight can't be helped and I doubt it's the deciding factor in too many fights.

Crushedknee
04-07-2011, 12:01 AM
there is some advantage to big hands forearms in swing whip effect punches..But I think its a pretty small advantage. More importantly I think larger hands distribute the force more allowing you to do more hard punching without hurting your hands..This practice is What I think give's the big handed guys punch more whollup. Get good heavy Bag gloves wrap well or get those gel wrap gloves then you will be able to practice a lot to..

Yuricane
04-07-2011, 03:04 AM
small hands lighter faster good for fast combos volume puncher... big hands heavier slower bad for combination more for 1punch KO.

Bullrush
04-07-2011, 07:33 AM
nah. julian jackson & prince naz arguably were the hardest punchers in boxing history and their hands were average sized. definitely not "big". its all about technique. and when you put gloves on the size of your hand doesnt really matter anyway because it doesnt have any effect on your punching power

barfly12
04-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Most of the pros have huge hands. That being said, Jake LaMotta, Nino Benvenutti, and Emile Griffith had small hands. I myself have "little girlie" hands at quit amateur boxing with a record of 16-2. I did a lot of grip work to build them up -- best grippers in the world come from IronMind (google them) and look at their amazing hand strength devices. Are small hands good? No, but they can be overcome. If I had my choice, I would have picked large ones, but the grab bag of genetics decided I would not.

New England
04-07-2011, 09:28 AM
heavy handed guys do ususally have bigger and better bones in the hands
arms
and wrists.

look at victor ortiz
marcos maidana
hell, even amir khan has big mitts

and all those guys are hard punching jr ww

and will likely finish their careers at ww or jr mw

true power punchers generate power from the ground up and through the snap in the punch
it's intuitive
they were born with the ability to produce the motion effectively

but heavy bones on a smaller guy (say big hands on a lightweight)
arent going to hurt anybody's punching power

a big heavy handed dude isnt going to be garanteed to be a big puncher
but it helps. especially hitting a heavybag. the bag doesnt hit back

New England
04-07-2011, 10:10 AM

all you can do is use superior technique to make up for it.

i havnt been in a physics class in over a decade i'd say

but isnt power:

Work / Time

(energy converted) / any unit of time

i believe your equation doesnt take into account accelleration

unless you're talking about speed in terms of the time it takes to do the work with said mass, and not speed as in the velocity of the object or mass.

the important aspect of the theory that power is work over time is "Time," and it's location a the bottom of the equation

time effects power exponentially
in other words it's more imporant than mass

a gigantic man moving slow as molasses is going to do much less damage (show lower amounts of power,) than a small man moving fast as fvck with leverage, and accelerating through a target.

ShinCrossOver
04-07-2011, 11:45 AM
F = ma (Force = mass times acceleration)

a = v1- v0 (velocity - initial velocity)
------- ----------------------
time time

Two boxers (Rocky and Drago). Rocky has smaller hands so his mass (m) is smaller than Drago's.

Lets assume their Force (F) are the exact same. With their difference in mass (m), it would mean that Rocky's acceleration with his punch is faster than Drago's to produce the same power. assuming that both are starting in a neutral position and throwing that punch, then the initial velocity (v0) is zero. So the acceleration is simply:

a = v / t (acceleration = velocity / time)

For Rocky's acceleration to be faster, he would have to increase his final velocity impact or decrease his time to throw that punch (or do both) in comparison to Drago.

----

So what? Basically what you all already know. Smaller hands/arms would need to be thrown faster (either in speed or shorter in time) to generate the same power as bigger hands/arms. If someone with bigger hands can throw the same punch with a faster velocity and/or in a shorter time, then that punch would be more powerful. This is assuming each boxer's reach is the exact same by the way. If it's different then calculating their power takes a bit more computing because you have to take into account the distance the fist has to travel for each boxer.

We aren't also taking into account energy dispersion either. bigger hands would disperse the energy in a larger area (let's say the bigger hand connects onto 3 ribs whereas the smaller hand connects onto 2 ribs).

Personally, I would think smaller hands would be slightly better IMO (probably cause i have small hands too lol). If you connect to a smaller area with the same force, you would produce more damage in that small area. The same force has a much better chance of breaking a rib if you hit two of them as oppose to 3 ribs. You'd need better accuracy though with smaller hands. Then again, the the size is really neglible anyway. Aren't you only suppose to connect with the pointing and middle finger knuckles most of the time when you punch anyway?

Hope I didn't confuse anyone here. I am an engineer. LOL.

Maxgaggi
04-07-2011, 02:13 PM
lol I can tell you are....but thanks for putting the effort in the explanation!

lightsout_finit
04-07-2011, 02:31 PM
de la hoya has small hands but he packed a wallop with that left.

them_apples
04-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Not at all, Miguel Cotto for example has little ass hands compared to most of his opponents, turn your body to get the power you're looking for, it's in the technique and torque of the punch to have a greater impact, not the size of your hands.

yeah both Cotto and clottey have smaller hands and punch good.

Marg and Pac both have beefy hands they punch good too. no diff

alza1988
04-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Mayweather's a good example I think . His hand's aren't that big . He looks small compared most WW's .He is a good example of what proper technique can do and condition .I say they've all got there ups and downs .Do fingertip push-up's man I do about 50 of them as part of my strength and it helps alot .Snap speed accuracy and footwork man on punches . Techniques the most important .
http://i53.tinypic.com/dg3xn9.jpg

alza1988
04-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Cotto's got small hands man holy s--t I fought he looked like a monster .Look at Berto's hands in this compared to Cotto and think of Berto's power .His uppercuts and the shots he dropped Ortiz with .Ortiz's hands are supposed to be huge though I read .I don't think it really matters .Adapt a style and technique that suits you best .
http://i55.tinypic.com/206ivj8.jpg

New England
04-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Cotto's got small hands man holy s--t I fought he looked like a monster .Look at Berto's hands in this compared to Cotto and think of Berto's power .His uppercuts and the shots he dropped Ortiz with .Ortiz's hands are supposed to be huge though I read .I don't think it really matters .Adapt a style and technique that suits you best .
http://i55.tinypic.com/206ivj8.jpg

that picture is photoshopped

i will bet e money on that ****

that's not how cotto is built. that's not his skin tone

i'm 99% sure it's actually shane mosley's body from a picture from a mosley-berto presser (before the fight was cancelled)

shane has big hands
and huge power

to address the post
of course bigger hands will, as a general rule, come with harder punching

so will bigger everything else, on the regular

that's why we've got weight classes.

true punchers, however, meaning the guys who were born to concuss grown men of their size, have much more going for them than hand size alone.

you dont need big hands to be a huge hitter, but they help
huge punchers coordinate the body and explode (accelerate) through a target
we call it snap in boxing.

it's all about where and when they are transferring weight
and it's largely intuitive for real power punchers, if you're talking about hitting a heavy bag

opponents hit back, and that's the rub

alza1988
04-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Well spotted man I just googled Berto Mosley and you've got it right .Here it is mate Green k sent,
http://i52.tinypic.com/2ez5s34.jpg

TheMexHurricane
04-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Itīs kind of an awkward question, but do you goys think that the size of a boxerīs hand affects the impact on the target? Some guys at the gym are lightweights but they got these huge freakin hands that look like rocks lol....my hands for example arenīt that big for a middleweight. Do you think it affects during striking?

Edwin Rosario had little girl hands but is one of the ATG punchers.

TheMexHurricane
04-20-2011, 06:26 PM
JM Marquez has the biggests fists p4p. Some commentators even mentioned it awhile back.

RAV3N
04-20-2011, 06:58 PM
I wouldnt say JMM is a big power puncher, he just has great timing and accuracey.

So saying JMM has big hands would say big hands dont mean anything.

Klemman
04-21-2011, 09:02 PM
In bare handed fighting hand size may make a difference. But in the ring, you and your opponent have the same size glove so arguments about force concentration in a smaller surface area are meaningless.

One advantage of naturally bigger hands is that they may be less likely to get injured, which can quickly end a fight if not a career.

Now putting plaster of paris on your handwraps... that can make a difference in punching power.

johncods
04-23-2011, 04:06 PM
I believe it does to some extent. Obviously technique is still the main equator. But yes I somewhat believe. I mean try getting punch on the arm with a guy who has girly hands than a guy with boulders as fists.

But the main advantage of guys who have huge hands is that they are less likely to get injured.

CiganoBoxer
04-24-2011, 05:14 PM
I got a mate and his brother that weighs 168" and it feels they can bang like heavyweights ..but they got small hands !?